• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
In Chicago, it's been in the 90s with 40-60% humidity for like 2 weeks now and the school I'm working in is even hotter than outside. It's been rough.

The thermostat in my cousin's garage (where I workout) said 103 a couple days ago with 50% humidity. Can't say I gave it 100%.

SuperFinal

Cinematics Designer at Playground Games
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK forumite here - 120 sounds bad.

*googles celsius conversion*

Ooh. Oohooh...

Stay safe, guys.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
I do not miss PHX for those near 120 degree days. Last summer I lived there my primary transportation had a broken AC. I had to take a shower in the work gym before I got dressed in my office attire.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
CVy9jie.png
Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk that. I feel like I'm dying when it hits 32 in the UK. But we are hard bastards we don't do (can't afford) aircon.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Think about it like this; you can save energy even with your AC on as you can do all your cooking on the street...

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
For those who live in places it gets hot like that, how much of a difference can you feel for like..100 compared to 120?

It doesn't get that hot here, but for instance it can drop down to 5 or even 0 some winters and that's really cold, but the difference between 14 and 30 for instance is less noticeable.

Is there a point where it's just too hot and you can't really tell the difference?

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
For those who live in places it gets hot like that, how much of a difference can you feel for like..100 compared to 120?

It doesn't get that hot here, but for instance it can drop down to 5 or even 0 some winters and that's really cold, but the difference between 14 and 30 for instance is less noticeable.

Is there a point where it's just too hot and you can't really tell the difference?
My parents live in the desert in CA, and I used to live there for a while out of college.

If you're used to it, anything under 105º (40º C) can still feel relatively "nice" (especially in the shade). Once you go over that though its starts feeling really oppressive, even with the low humidity. As it gets into the high teens / over 120, it straight up starts feeling like an oven.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix

You can definitely tell the difference between 100 and 110-120. Some people like to say that anything over 100 is all the same, but it's noticeable.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
NM here. It's 39°C right now with the rest of the week looking the same where I'm at.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

Below about 105 it can be acceptable if you're in the shade with a breeze as long as the humidity is low. Its not nice, but its ok. At least sweating cools you down. I have a swamp cooler(evaporative cooler) for when I need to do things in the garage during summer, and since its dry, it does a good job at lowering temperatures.

Above that, and especially when you climb past 110, its just hot no matter what. If there's a breeze it doesn't even feel nice. You know when you're baking, and you open the oven door and get that hot air in your face, its kinda like that but all over.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I pretty much tell my GF every day we're outside in the Summer here in Texas "man, it's a hot one" ala Smooth, and she can't stand it.

But yeah. It's hot AF

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Why you guys using Celsius when it is dumb and Fahrenheit is better

-10c : heavy winter coat
0c : normal winter coat
10c: light coat
20c: perfect temp
30c: shorts, t. Hot but fine with low humidity
40c: miserable hot
50c: (122f) Seriously why do you live here

Straightforward to me (as an American who's ditched miles/farenheit use)

Stick

Oct 30, 2017
Im dyin in north texas... This heat is awful for an excessive sweating man like myself. I cannot go outside for more than 3 minutes before I look and feel like I dumped my head in a bucket of hot, salty water.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I am ok with temps up to 95 F. Anything above that is uncomfortable for me.

Anything above 105F is beyond what my body can handle.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
You can definitely tell the difference between 100 and 110-120. Some people like to say that anything over 100 is all the same, but it's noticeable.

Yeah, I've lived in the valley in CA my whole life, and I think 110+ is the "can't even tell the difference anymore" tier. Once you're up there, it's kind of just unbearably hot. June through August is usually low 100s here (104 today), and it's manageable as long as you're not standing in direct sunlight for incredibly long stretches of time.

For indoors, air conditioning is still a must though. I've lived in houses that were swamp only and once you hit that 105+ range they're not doing anything for you. Don't think I could live like that again.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019

As others have said 100F is tolerable, especially if you stay in the shade.

110F+ is like walking around in an oven, it's oppressive, your body feels like it's cooking, slow cooker style.

Even at 100F you must be careful with your pets, as roads and sidewalks will burn their paws. It's very common for people that have just moved here to accidentally burn their dog's paws, taking it for a walk during the afternoon. People will also make the mistake of shaving their dogs - it's a mistake because it almost always leads to the dog getting sunburned.

I have a birdbath, at 100F+ I have to refill it twice a day. At 110F+ I have to refill it every 2 hours and the birds are in it constantly.

People are still outside and active here, just not while the sun is out. You will see people out and about early (5-7am) and late (after 8pm). Older kids will play organized sports like soccer at 10-11pm here.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
It's "only" 116 here on Sunday.

To join in to the above conversation, I'd say low 110s and high 110s are differentiable, but mid-110s you're at the point where simply opening a door to go outside is oppressive. It literally feels like standing to close to an oven door as you open it. Simply being outside, even in the shade, is physically painful to at least some extent.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
As others have said 100F is tolerable, especially if you stay in the shade.

110F+ is like walking around in an oven, it's oppressive, your body feels like it's cooking, slow cooker style.

Even at 100F you must be careful with your pets, as roads and sidewalks will burn their paws. It's very common for people that have just moved here to accidentally burn their dog's paws, taking it for a walk during the afternoon. People will also make the mistake of shaving their dogs - it's a mistake because it almost always leads to the dog getting sunburned.

I have a birdbath, at 100F+ I have to refill it twice a day. At 110F+ I have to refill it every 2 hours and the birds are in it constantly.

People are still outside and active here, just not while the sun is out. You will see people out and about early (5-7am) and late (after 8pm). Older kids will play organized sports like soccer at 10-11pm here.

Yeah, from 10AM - 8PM you just stay inside unless you're in a pool. Even when you go out past 8 its still 95 - 100 degrees outside. Last night it was still over 90 at midnight.