• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game is better?

• Stick Of Truth

Votes: 504 76.8%
  • Fractured But Whole

Votes: 104 15.9%
  • Danhausen

Votes: 48 7.3%

• Total voters

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Voted SoT.

I went through that game like a brown note. I fell off the second game for a while before coming back and finishing it. I guess my reasons would be:

• Novelty - The original had a real 'oh they're really doing this' factor, hard to replicate.
  • Setting / parody - I think LotR hits harder with me. Plus the superhero franchise thing is kind of a grind, whereas everyone loves LotR, right? Also those episodes of the actual TV show are markedly better than the superhero ones, IMO.
  • Memorability - The bedroom sequence still stays with me. I've looked it back up several times. Nothing from the sequel has caused me to do that.

All that said, clearly TFBW had a troubled cycle, and ultimately despite the fact it weathered buyouts and all that stuff, I really enjoyed my time with it.

Would love to see them complete the trilogy and see how they manage to parody trilogies, too.

What's the bedroom sequence already? You have a video of it?

My memory is shit i barely remember anything

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stick of Truth 100%, I got bored with the sequel and didn't even finish it

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just finished playing both games !

Stick is by far the funnier game with the classic completely over the top SP vibe from the first 15 seasons or so, the combat is quick and fun and it doesn't overstay its welcome. Unfortunately you get very quickly very overpowered which makes basically every fight completely trivial. It's a great game that isn't very deep and that you can replay lots of times.

Fractured has the new SP feel with way more meta humour, a better gameplay overall and a story that's actually engaging at times (and some excellent DLC !). All in all it's a great package overall with good ideas, it just doesn't have Sticks highs. But it also doesn't have Sticks lows.

I think overall it's Stick.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Both worth playing, but SoT is the clear winner. Felt fresh and exciting to play a true SP game. FbW's battle system was okay, but it was too involved and it detracted from the overall experience

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going with Fractured. The gameplay was legit phenomenal whereas Stick had a bit stronger overall story but honestly the gameplay didn't remotely click with me. I seriously had a TON of fun with Fractured. And I did like most of the story and even add on content.

Trigger

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I loved the combat in Fractured more. I think I liked the narrative more in Stick of Truth, but the combat became really easy really fast for me.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I can't really remember which was which, but overall the quality of everything is really consistent

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Stick of Truth because of the combat. Fractured wasn't bad, but wasn't really good either. The first one was memorable and fun. Both games were hilarious though and captured the feeling of being in South Park. Would love another one.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Loved SoT but dropped FBH after about two hours during an 8 hour flight. It bored me so much that I rather played nothing on a boring flight than continue playing that game.
The social media focus just annoyed the shit out of me.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Recently replayed SoT and it's the better game for sure. But honestly, never go with the Knight class. It is busted to all hell. You could basically use a Speed Potion + Military Helmet + Bull Rush for most of the game and you would not have a challenge. So at least FBW has some better balancing in the different classes (then again you can mix and match powers which makes my point obsolete)

The one thing I didn't like in FBW was the over-reliance on buddy help. Especially later in the game where you have to escape Mephesto's lab. You'll have to use a buddy almost every god damn second and it's so annoying.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
I prefer Fractured but Whole. The aesthetics and design of the world, music and the set pieces were stunning. Boss fights were incredibly fun and pretty difficult.

I found the combat in Stick of Truth got a bit boring after the midpoint. I will say that the story is better paced and well thought out in SoT. Fractured does drag a bit and the last section of the game is by far the weakest.

Both are amazing though. And I think it's pretty commendable that Matt & Trey + Ubisoft SanFran/Obsidian were able to craft 20+ hours of comedy in video game form. Quite a feat to accomplish

Last edited:

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Stick of Truth was howlingly funny, massively inappropriate in all the right ways that makes for great South Park comedy

Fractured was a better designed game with more engaging systems, but not nearly as funny or clever as the first.

Neither are bad though.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I really don't think Fractured's combat system worked. They tried to do something new, which was commendable if they didn't think they could replicate the original game's Paper Mario combat, but it just wasn't as tight or as mechanically fun as Stick's was. I kinda dreaded getting into combat encounters in Fractured and it made the game really hard to play for extended sessions and eventually I gave up.

My experience exactly.

VicRattlehead

Oct 25, 2017
I voted danhausen because i do not wish to be cursed, in reality stick of truth is the better game, it doesn't out stay its welcome and is quite funny

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Fbw is probably the better game, but SoT in total was the more enjoyable and consistently funny experience. The superhero stuff felt very tired and one-note in comparison. Can't really go wrong with either though.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FBW would have been the better game if it executed it's ideas better. But too many times tht game came up short.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love both games, they each do various things well and offer a lot for fans of the series, but The Stick of Truth is just on another level of existence with its writing and feels like a genuine love letter to the franchise. SoT is one of those few genuinely fun games out there, it just tries to be something most games aren't, and I hope we get a third game some day.

SoT isn't perfect by any means, the combat system leaves a lot to be desired after the first couple of episodes, and the out of combat use of certain powers can be super confusing.

Also, the kingdom of Canda is one of the best bits in any game ever.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
So, what's the ERA consensus on playing FbW before SoT? Are there many story references? I bought the sequel on the Switch (with the intention to play it after) as I had the original on PC, but I never got very far in SoT as I don't like playing on the PC so much and have been holding off FbW as well because I was waiting to finish SoT first.
I'll admit I don't care that much about superheroes in general so in terms of setting SoT always seemed more interesting, but they're still both South Park.

From the little I played of both games, having a computer for the UI on SoT did feel more inmersive than the phone, as phone UIs always feel less believable for me.

So, what's the ERA consensus on playing FbW before SoT? Are there many story references? I bought the sequel on the Switch (with the intention to play it after) as I had the original on PC, but I never got very far in SoT as I don't like playing on the PC so much and have been holding off FbW as well because I was waiting to finish SoT first.
I'll admit I don't care that much about superheroes in general so in terms of setting SoT always seemed more interesting, but they're still both South Park.

From the little I played of both games, having a computer for the UI on SoT did feel more inmersive than the phone, as phone UIs always feel less believable for me.
They're both standalone from each other beyond some passing references in FbW to the events of the first game. They're basically separate seasons of South Park in terms of content.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Stick of Truth.

A good RPG on its own merit but also a (surprisingly) extremely funny game. Really resonated with the peak of South Park between season's 13 and 18 and just kept hitting every joke.

FBW was just...worse. And the show fell off a cliff after season 19.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely Stick of Truth, just an all round great game that I enjoyed throughout, that was also great use of its source material.

I liked Fractured But Whole too, a lot even (the last thing I really liked from South Park thinking about it), but just didn't leave me anywhere near as satisfied.

Dr.Osiris

Oct 14, 2018
I vastly prefered the 2nd game. They fixed a lot of things that I hated in stick of truth. Also the story is better in fractured.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Stick of Truth had better gameplay and a funnier story so easy choice.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who played both for the first time last year, I think they're both fun in their own ways... but Stick of Truth might have an edge. It's very snappy, very focused, it's better paced than the sequel (which has really long battles) and I think the "kids playing fantasy" theme is a lot funnier than kids playing superhero.

That said, I do want to go to bat for TFBW a little. I do like how TFBW is basically an SRPG with a regular RPG overworld and character customization. I don't think many SRPG's do either of those (especially the character customization stuff). The combat system is a lot slower, but it's also less busted than SoT. SoT was a lot easier to break, even on a first playthrough. TFBW can actually be pretty fun, so long as you play on one of the higher difficulties (where you're forced to engage with all the combat mechanics).

Now, TFBW's combat isn't perfect. The balance still isn't great. Some party members are really good while others are really bad (e.g. Mysterion is low key busted while Human Kite and Coon are kinda garbage). There are also some really silly setups even in TFBW (if you have two characters who can inflict Chilled, it becomes very easy to stall out fights. Mysterion's Phantom form can be used to box in characters so they can't do anything etc.). But if you do like SRPG's and don't mind long battles, I would recommend it.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
stick for all the reasons everyone said. i enjoyed the attempt at the combat change up for fractured but i didn't end up liking the new combat in the end, found it to be a drag, and i dropped off finishing it. i want to try again but i already know i won't like it nearly as much as stick.

Jul 25, 2020
Stick of truth was incredibly enjoyable from start to finish.

Fractured Butt Whole was deflating. It started really well but the longer it went on the more bourgeois and dull it become. I didn't even think the ending fight was the ending. Until the credits rolled. I thought we were at the half way point waiting for the game to get good again but nope.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Sequel had better gameplay, but simply wasn't funny.

I really enjoyed the original, and the sequel just felt like this weird, soulless, obligation.

First one is great.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Sequel had better gameplay, but simply wasn't funny.

I really enjoyed the original, and the sequel just felt like this weird, soulless, obligation.

First one is great.
pretty much my thoughts exactly. Didn't even finish the second one. The new combat was a good idea but all it ended up doing was making combat slower and more frustrating.

Ariesfirebomb

Jul 3, 2018
Minneapolis
I'm someone who really enjoyed Fractured But Whole but the answer is Stick of Truth easily. FBW was maybe just a little bit too long where SoT hit the sweet spot where I was left wanting more.

This is where I'm at with it. Loved the superhero stuff a lot more than the traditional RPG stuff. Both are really great turn based RPGs that I enjoyed, but the overall "Better" game is SoT

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
This thread made look up if the game was on sale or not (had it before, but traded it in after beating once). The base game of FBW is on sale on PSN, but the Season Pass isn't. The Gold edition is on sale on the eShop, but I want trophies.

Agent_J

Oct 30, 2017
I really liked the first one, and even got the trophies and the platinum.

I didn't even finish the second one

Pangorogoro

Oct 31, 2017
Fractured but Whole had pacing issues for me, and I overall thought the story was weaker than Stick of Truth.
I still had fun with both and enjoyed them, but I would rank Stick of Truth ahead of Fractured but Whole.

timrtabor123

Feb 11, 2019
From what I remember Stick of Truth had both better combat and was more absurd and thus less reliant on toothless bothsiderism political commentary that drags on the show a lot so that.