• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
President Moon Jae-in's governing party in South Korea won a landslide victory in parliamentary elections on Wednesday, as he leveraged his surging popularity over his country's largely successful battle against the coronavirus to increase his political sway.

With more than 99 percent of the votes counted, Mr. Moon's left-leaning Democratic Party had won 163 seats in the 300-member National Assembly, according to the National Election Commission. A satellite party the Democrats created for Wednesday's elections won 17 seats.

Together, the two groups took three-fifths of the seats, giving Mr. Moon the largest majority in three decades.
via the NY Times

I'm not super familiar with Korean politics, but hearing about this apparently successful election is really fascinating. South Korea has been probably the most successful country in isolating/combating the virus, and as an American living in Japan (two right-wing countries which have been... less successful) I can't help but feel jealous for this neighbor that's actually doing well!

Here's a twitter feed I've been following which puts some context to what the election means, and is where I first read about the election results:

"Right now the Dems are projected to win 178 seats. I had to re-look at the sentence because I can't believe it. That's like saying "Joe Biden is projected to carry 46 out of 50 states including Texas." Just typing that out feels insane."

Any Korean locals on here who voted, or have experience with what's going on there?

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
That's great to hear. I wonder what this means for S. Korea policies and foreign relations.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not really shocking. They've been by far one of the best governments at handling the current ongoing corona virus crisis and that's going to speak volumes to the citizens given that the crisis is ongoing. I feel like if the election had happened a few months after the world was done with all this shit the support would've been way less, but I have to imagine his handling of the crisis is on the forefront of everyone in SK's mind at the moment

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I lived in Korea for 4 years (2014-2018), I was there to see the absolute shit show that was the end of Park Gun Hye's administration. I assume most of this is the result of much of the population (especially young people) still literally hating her/right wing parties (she had something like a 4% approval rating when she was ousted) + Moon Jae In's excellent response to COVID19. I know Moon's approval rating hasn't necessarily been the best, but there's a decent amount of small parties with decent representation in the National Assembly where there's a bit more wiggle room than there would be in the US. Korea's also a country that's been through a lot with their leaders throughout it's history - assassinations, scandals, suicides, literal cults, you name it. Maybe when they come across someone who's good enough, they'll stick with them.

Last edited:

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
How's are immigrants treated there? Cause....

950516-3x2-940x627.jpg

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
I lived in Korea for 4 years (2014-2018), I was there to see the absolute shit show that was the end of Park Gun Hye's administration. I assume most of this is the result of much of the population (especially young people) still literally hating her/right wing parties (she had something like a 4% approval rating when she was ousted) + Moon Jae In's excellent response to COVID19.
I'm almost forgot about that. If I remember correctly the president was being controlled by a cult or something.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome. Thank you Best Korea for further joining or reinforcing some of the other last remaining strongholds of democracy, in a world that is seeing additional deterioration leading to idiotic right wing populism over the last decade or so.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Not really shocking. They've been by far one of the best governments at handling the current ongoing corona virus crisis and that's going to speak volumes to the citizens given that the crisis is ongoing. I feel like if the election had happened a few months after the world was done with all this shit the support would've been way less, but I have to imagine his handling of the crisis is on the forefront of everyone in SK's mind at the moment

There's that, and I think a lot of people are still pissed at Park Geun-hye (read up on her impeachment, it's cult level crazy), which is why you saw the pendulum swing left like it has.

The fact that President Moon_Jae-in has done a fantastic job only adds to this.

This also isn't South Korea's first go around with a Coronavirus outbreak, having been hit with a MERS outbreak in 2015. It's one of the biggest reasons why they didn't fuck around with this outbreak and hit it fast and hard.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
It really should be clarified that the Korean Democratic Party is much like the American Democratic Party, centrist to center-left, not really "the left" in any real sense. It can only be considered as such in the context of how conservative Korea usually is.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
It really should be clarified that the Korean Democratic Party is much like the American Democratic Party, centrist to center-left, not really "the left" in any real sense. It can only be considered as such in the context of how conservative Korea usually is.

Damn, hopes dashed. :(

But if this still means farther right leaning and equality/fundamental rights damaging rhetoric are quieted, then it's still tremendous.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

It feels like every time i read a thread about an election result it's about the rise of far right parties across the world. This still feels like a big win (just as the democrats winning in the US would be too).

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile in Australia the right wing party is gaining popularity for how well they handled the epidemic too even though a) they did it by doing a 180 pivot in adopting the left wing's party policies that are informed by advisors that came from the left wing party and b) having virus response being led by the most left wing state ie Victoria

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, that can be said for most Asian countries... conservatism and Asia go hand in hand, it seems.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Meanwhile in Australia the right wing party is gaining popularity for how well they handled the epidemic too even though a) they did it by doing a 180 pivot in adopting the left wing's party policies and b) having virus response being led by the most left wing state ie Victoria

I fucking wish Australia wasn't so right-wing. :(

I'm thankful I'm in Vic at least.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Speak any word to them in Korean and they will immediately respect the hell out of you. Extremely friendly, amazing infrastructure, dense urban cities but amazing weather and view. 10/10 moving there when im done with my degree.

I was in the Air Force stationed there for a year (2015), and while the US military doesn't have the best track record there, I loved my time there.

OP
OP
el jacko

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
Does the Korean Dem party have internal divisions re: centrists vs progressives whose arguments spill into public? Or is it a tightly-organized party? Like, what is the centrist / leftist split look like there?

Using a Japanese example, left-right splits are heavily over sales taxes, welfare, and the military clause in the constitution, whereas infrastructure spending & bureaucracy is not questioned to the same degree.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Speak any word to them in Korean and they will immediately respect the hell out of you. Extremely friendly, amazing infrastructure, dense urban cities but amazing weather and view. 10/10 moving there when im done with my degree.

I absolutely loved Korea and would 100% be up for moving back if I could get a university job after getting my masters in a few years, but...amazing weather is absolutely not a good description of Korea. It's cold for months on end, humid in the summer, and the air quality is at times literally the worst in the world. When it's not hazy and smoggy, the views are to die for.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Meanwhile in Australia the right wing party is gaining popularity for how well they handled the epidemic too even though a) they did it by doing a 180 pivot in adopting the left wing's party policies that are informed by advisors that came from the left wing party and b) having virus response being led by the most left wing state ie Victoria
I post on an aussie forum where conservative leaning members would often complain about the money Labor spent back in 2008 gfc and funnily enough, they don't criticise the LNP's current stimulus measures at all. It's hilarious.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

Alooooot of dumb people here.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Does the Korean Dem party have internal divisions re: centrists vs progressives whose arguments spill into public? Or is it a tightly-organized party? Like, what is the centrist / leftist split look like there?

Using a Japanese example, left-right splits are heavily over sales taxes, welfare, and the military clause in the constitution, whereas infrastructure spending & bureaucracy is not questioned to the same degree.

As I understand it the internal split of the Korean Dems is actually between the social liberals and the social conservatives, with no real progressive wing to speak of. The only progressive or left-wing movement is found in the Justice Party, which mostly exists on the fringes of Korean parliamentary politics. Liberalism and conservatism reign supreme in South Korea; the split between North and South meant that leftism was heavily repressed throughout South Korea's history.

Last edited:

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

Progressives are absolutely a minority, if they exist at all at the national level. It's a very much "fall in line" country, there's a reason why plastic surgery is literally a popular graduation present. Being "different" isn't exactly celebrated at a cultural level (tattoos are still somewhat taboo for example, although that's changing). I think much of the country also saw how much the Miracle on the Han elevated them on the world scale (so capitalism isn't nearly the boogie man it is among many groups in the west), healthcare is already pretty "socialized", and I think college is cheaper than it is the US (although don't quote me on that because I'm not entirely sure). Much of the country is still very religious too, so much so that the largest church in the world is there (which I've been told by Koreans may or may not be a cult). That being said, Hell Joseon.

Technologically speaking, Korea is probably ahead of the US in terms of everyday use. Socially speaking, I and many other expats that feel like they're about where the US was in the 1960s.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I post on an aussie forum where conservative leaning members would often complain about the money Labor spent back in 2008 gfc and funnily enough, they don't criticise the LNP's current stimulus measures at all. It's hilarious.
Alooooot of dumb people here.

Scott Morrison basically gained popularity by being on TV to talk about Labour policies lol.

At least there's a beautiful irony to it all.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely loved Korea and would 100% be up for moving back if I could get a university job after getting my masters in a few years, but...amazing weather is absolutely not a good description of Korea. It's cold for months on end, humid in the summer, and the air quality is at times literally the worst in the world. When it's not hazy and smoggy, the views are to die for.

I can only speak for the two weeks that i was there while staying in cheonan. I highly recc getting your TEFL and then going over there. Go on a 6 or 12 month contract and enjoy a hard working vacation.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I can only speak for the two weeks that i was there while staying in cheonan. I highly recc getting your TEFL and then going over there. Go on a 6 or 12 month contract and enjoy a hard working vacation.

Lol, I taught there for 4 years. Only reason I mention waiting to get a masters is because there isn't much upward mobility with a TEFL + Bachelors. The real money teaching abroad comes when you're working at a university level and tutoring on the side, and you'll have much more vacation time.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, I taught there for 4 years. Only reason I mention waiting to get a masters is because there isn't much upward mobility with a TEFL + Bachelors. The real money teaching abroad comes when you're working at a university level and tutoring on the side.

Well i learned something new in my pursuit of teaching ESL.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Last time some refugees arrived to South Korea, they changed their laws in a couple of days to keep them out, SK leftist government still could be pretty right wing compared to Western governments, Left isn't too universal.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Speak any word to them in Korean and they will immediately respect the hell out of you. Extremely friendly

Some of my favorite memories were hiking up small mountains in the middle of the night with friends, only to reach the peak and find a few adjussis there. Say "annyeong" and you'd almost always be offered a bit of makgeolli or soju.

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've only been keeping track through my parents who've been glued to some livestreams for the past 24hrs but from what I can tell the Dems are liberals not leftists. Actual leftist parties don't seem to have fared too well.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I've only been keeping track through my parents who've been glued to some livestreams for the past 24hrs but from what I can tell the Dems are liberals not leftists. Actual leftist parties don't seem to have fared too well.

Expecting actual leftist parties to do well in East Asia is laughable when the memory of Mao still looms large.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Well i learned something new in my pursuit of teaching ESL.

Don't get me wrong, I'd recommend anyone go, it's an incredible experience. I just don't necessarily think it can be a career in many countries without certifications and degrees to back you up. Southeast Asia might be different though, I've been told Vietnam and Thailand are about where Korea and Japan were a couple decades ago, a bachelors and TEFL certification may go further there than it would elsewhere.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Seems like a neoliberal party with a "social conservative" wing. Of course, miles better than a right wing party and they should be commended by their work but this isn't what we call the "Left" in the US. I only clicked because the idea of an actual leftist party winning in Korea is hilarious.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure korean work colture is second only to japan work colture

It's definitely close, but if you're just moving there to teach you're not really going to experience it - it's really only a "Korean" thing. I knew a few expats working for Samsung (the town I was in had a massive plant), but outside of the occasional "Go drink with your boss until 4am" night, their work culture was pretty similar to what ours would be in the west. If anything, the impression I got was that students are the ones who "work" the most.

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm just surprised Morrison did it at all. Thought he would be stubborn and hold out before caving and discarding his ideology. Glad he did though.

Scoey

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, never knew Korea had a left wing government compared to Japan, and certainly not compared to even the more centrist/right wing European countries. The media certainly don't tend to portray it that way so I always got the impression it was a rather xenophobic, conservative/nationalist country. I've heard that English teachers there have their visa tied to their specific job so if they get fired they get booted out of the country, which is certainly a lot less lenient than the Japanese visa system for resident foreigners. I was also under the impression that the number of refugees they accept anually is something close to zero. Perhaps this is outdated info now and the left wing government have changed this type of stuff?

I'd be interested in hearing from someone who knows about the country how its left wing government's approach to immigration/welfare/undocumented workers/path to citizenship/discrimination laws etc stack up against the west.

Last edited:
May 21, 2018
I was wondering why my parents were talking today about Korea driving itself off a cliff and needing to suffer heavily before correcting its course.

So this was the reason why. Haha. (If you haven't guessed, my parents are hard right-wing).

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Well, so here is a bunch of fun facts about the election:
a) Dems got their traditional seat from Jeolla (traditional Democratic area in Southwest) back, which was held by Ahn Chul Soo's more centrist party (which underwent merging and has had like three different names).
b) Dems lost a few seats in Daegu and Busan, which was expected since those are conservative cities, but way made up for it in gains in Seoul and its surrounding province.
c) The conservatives (which change name every 5 seconds, so I won't even bother naming their party) lost quiet a bit of their leadership. Most prominently, Hwan Kyo Ahn, chairman of the party, and Na Kyong Won, party floor leader. Funnily enough, former chairman Hong Jun Pyo returned by winning as an independent.
d) Smaller parties got destroyed. Some of it in part due to small parties getting the ruling party to change the rules for assigning the proportional representation seats (47 out of 300 are proportional, the rest are FPTP district representation) in exchange for prosecutorial reform. The funniest part is, this new rule was really dumb and helped the big two parties game the system by creating satellite parties.
e) The government's compeetent coronavirus response definitely helped them. Getting a majority in S. Korea is difficult at any time, with the Dem's previous record being 152 seats. What they got was an insane filibuster proof super majority. I was worried that the brewing Ulsan local election corruption case + Cho Guk scandal would do them in, but that has been put on the side.
f) Lee Nak Yeon, former Dem prime minister, wins a seat, and makes him the most likely Dem candidate for president after Moon's 5 years term is up.
g) Three prominent feminist figures won their district. This is also the most women elected to the assembly, although it is still at a pitiful 11 %.
h) This is the first time a North Korean defector won an assembly seat.

Last edited:

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, never knew Korea had a left wing government compared to Japan/the US/Europe. The media certainly don't tend to portray it that way so I always got the impression it was a rather xenophobic, conservative/nationalist country. I've heard that English teachers there have their visa tied to their specific job so if they get fired they get booted out of the country, which is certainly a lot less lenient than the Japanese visa system for resident foreigners. Perhaps this is outdated info now and the left wing government have changed this type of stuff?

I'd be interested in hearing from someone who knows about the country how its left wing government's approach to immigration/welfare etc stack up against the west.

Most of Asian country can be unexpectedly xenophobic.
Most people don't notice because whites for some reason are excluded.

Not speaking about Korea as I never been there.

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
Keep in mind the right wing Korean media and youtubers were getting popular among japanese right wingers (yeah I know) and even asking japanese right wingers to attack current administration, which boggles my mind. They were so dead set on sabotaging the current left government. I'm guessing they are gonna be even more desperate to do something crazier.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I've heard that English teachers there have their visa tied to their specific job so if they get fired they get booted out of the country, which is certainly a lot less lenient than the Japanese visa system for resident foreigners. Perhaps this is outdated info now and the left wing government have changed this type of stuff?

Nope, that's still valid (at least if you're on an E2 Visa, which most English teachers will be).

kr.usembassy.gov

Teaching in Korea

We advise anyone considering an English teaching job in Korea to carefully review the terms of the contract, especially in regards to working and living