• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Again, getting salty about a private individual erecting a statue that is privately-funded on a privately-owned garden is petty as fuck and the Japanese government should worry about more important things. And then he has the audacity to say "the problem of Comfort woman has been solved"... fuck off.

This was a weird ban for a perfectly reasonable post. Reported.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Let's all report it and get it undone.

Done. I'm thinking in conjunction with their first post and the "Who gives a shit" the mod probably misread it as "Who gives a shit...about this issue" rather than "Who gives a shit about what the Japanese government thinks." It's pretty obvious, and it looks bad on the mods here, especially during the Asian ERA meeting.

Oct 26, 2017
I reported it like an hour ago and it was ignored. Half the posts in the thread are talking about it. Seems they are just doubling down.

Oct 27, 2017
How is Japanese imperialism taught in Japanese schools? Glossed over? Taught as a positive?

Yoshihide Suga the current Chief Cabinet Secretary has staed
"This is unacceptable in international relationship, and if true, it will cause very serious decision to Korea and Japan relation"

And on the subject of Comfort woman
"Regarding the Comfort Woman problem, we still strongly ask that Korea proceed with the previous agreement with Japan, the problem of Comfort woman has been solved, and this thought will not change" in conclusion that the current Japanese government will not change their stance and viewpoint on the Comfort woman.

Jeez...

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
Did not expect for me, a Korean, to receive a lecture from a mod about comfort women being a sensitive issue but thank you, whoever you are... I will never forget it. Do me a favor and please perma-ban me instead so I can learn my lesson properly.

Apparently nothing has been accomplished from the Asian era "meeting" so I don't want anything to do with this website again anyway. Thank you to those defended me, I sincerely appreciate it.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah an explanation on that ban would be nice. Was any consultation done before the hammer came down?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Did not expect for me, a Korean, to receive a lecture from a mod about comfort women being a sensitive issue but thank you, whoever you are... I will never forget it. Do me a favor and please perma-ban me instead so I can learn my lesson properly.

Apparently nothing has been accomplished from the Asian era "meeting" so I don't want anything to do with this website again anyway. Thank you to those defended me, I sincerely appreciate it.

Please don't leave. I was so glad just now you were back again. Look at all the people who stood up for you.

Yeah an explanation on that ban would be nice. Was any consultation done before the hammer came down?

An explanation is definitely in order, especially since whoever replied to my report was even doubling down on their mistake.

OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
How is Japanese imperialism taught in Japanese schools? Glossed over? Taught as a positive?

Jeez...

Depend on the textbook, but generally, something similiar to how slavery and native american situation are taught in America.

1. It didn't happen
2. If it did happen, it was willing and the "master" treat them well
3, Other did worse, we "save" them
4. and another, if it did happen, it was the few bad people, the majority are good and didn't happen.

Usually some sort of varation of that, there are younger people in Japan that are trying to change that, but it's not taught or incomplete.
And they don't have alot of political power to do big change.

Last edited:

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
For this particular ban, reviewing the discussion involved, it appears that this user had been reported reported multiple times. To explain the thought process behind the ban, the first post seemed antagonistic ("Who gives a shit?). And in the follow up post, even though the mod team agreed that this user was criticizing the government, we thought that, on balance, saying "the Japanese government should worry about more important things" seemed overly dismissive. Since the subject of comfort women is a painful subject to the people of many Asian countries, and since the statue was ultimately meant to spark discussion, indicating that the Japanese government should ignore the statue (instead of issuing an apology) seemed problematic. However, after getting feedback on this ban, and after consultation with additional staff, we realized we overextended and have opted to undo the ban. Apologies to tophu and to the thread at large.

Oct 27, 2017
Depend on the textbook, but generally, something similiar to how slavery and native american situation are taught in America.

1. It didn't happen
2. If it did happen, it was willing and the "master" treat them well
3, Other did worse, we "save" them
4. and another, if it did happen, it was the few bad people, the majority are good and didn't happen.

Usually some sort of varation of that, there are younger people in Japan that are trying to change that, but it's not taught or incomplete.
And they don't have alot of political power to do big change.

That does sound a lot like how subjects like US expansion (and what it entails) and European colonialism are handled.

S.Korea government respond
OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
South Korea government responded
Spokeperson from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs 今仁澈 stated
"international comity is not international law, but each country should still treat other country leader with international respect"
"But in this instance, the statue is private property, on private land, is not clear if the S.Korea government have any right to intervene, and will have to check through law to see"

Also, the conservative party in Korea is not very supportive of the statue and is against it, due to their complain, the origional reopen and reveal statue set on august 11th is delayed to a later time to be announce

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
South Korea government responded
Spokeperson from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs 今仁澈 stated
"international comity is not international law, but each country should still treat other country leader with international respect"
"But in this instance, the statue is private property, on private land, is not clear if the S.Korea government have any right to intervene, and will have to check through law to see"

Also, the conservative party in Korea is not very supportive of the statue and is against it, due to their complain, the origional reopen and reveal statue set on august 11th is delayed to a later time to be announce

Bizarre. Ideally the statue should go up, and everyone in the Korean government should stand behind it. A similar statue should even be constructed in Japan.

OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Bizarre. Ideally the statue should go up, and everyone in the Korean government should stand behind it. A similar statue should even be constructed in Japan.

It is for money reason that the conservative party is not support, short history of the current thing as I understand.

It all start October 2018, when S.Korea highest court rule that Japan didn't pay reparation for using slave labor in WWII, and can retake property/company from Japan that is in S.Korea

Japan reponsd July 2019 that S.Korea is no longer on the white list for semiconductor product

S.Korea appeal to WTO in September 2019

S.Korea is now possible prepare to take property that was rule by court, since the court is going to do it's job soon, and Japan is looking at option, including visa change, sending S.Korea diplomat

The conflict has cause big confusion in the high tech industry for both country, with S.Korea preparing to nationalize some high tech company/industry, and Japan giving up long time relationship with S.Korea company, and now looking to work with Taiwan and Vietnam company.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan

I know nothing of Korean politics, but why would anyone be against the statue? They don't want to ruffle Japanese feathers? Seems like it should be a nonpartisan issue.

Edit: Nevermind, you answered my question above.

OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
I know nothing of Korean politics, but why would anyone be against the statue? They don't want to ruffle Japanese feathers? Seems like it should be a nonpartisan issue.

Some share same view as Japan that it is long time ago, that is fake news by woman to get power, online comment by Korean netizen that are not supportive is not very nice.

Similiar to one of our party in Taiwan, still want close tie w ith China, even after seeing the protest and security law passing in Hong Kong.

Acutally a similiar theme statue is in front of the Japan embassy in S.Korea
gettyimages-502768198-6055ff20eae56ef62576303395518aec2bb2f5ba-s800-c85.jpg

www.npr.org

'Comfort Woman' Memorial Statues, A Thorn In Japan's Side, Now Sit On Korean Buses

Statues symbolizing the World War II sex slaves abused by Japanese soldiers have appeared this year on Korean city buses — including on a bus line whose doors open right in front of Japan's embassy.

OP
OP
SilentPanda

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Japan has apologized to and compensated the Korean people since 1950s:

I don't know why the S Korean keep making stunts like this. More money perharps?

Giving apology is one side, the apology being accept is other.
The Japanese government should every prime minister elect, apologize for the crime of Imperial Japan during WWII to the nation it hurt, that is miminum.

If other country and survivor accept or not, is not up to Japan government.

Problem is current Japan government take back apology and now claim it didn't happen, and removing it from history book and other thing like NHK educational program.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017

I don't know why the S Korean keep making stunts like this. More money perharps?

The issue is that all of their apologies have been all words no actions. Nothing has been done to educate their population about the atrocities committed and even if it is, at most it is glanced over in their history books.

It's like having someone apologising for stealing, but then they go round telling everyone how they never stole in the first place.

If they want to apologise properly, they should do it like Germany. Apologise for all the misery and deaths caused at, and repeat it every year when WWII remembrance comes around . Stop visiting the shrine for war criminals. And have Japanese private firms pay reparations for when they used Korean slave labour during the colonial period.

Not even the Japanese Emperor visits the shrine. But Abe does.

www.scmp.com

Emperor’s war remorse and Japan PM’s offering to controversial shrine

Japan’s emperor expresses war ‘remorse’ as PM Shinzo Abe sends offering to controversial Yasukuni Shrine

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wait am I understanding the issue correctly:

• Imperial Japan went warring around Asia turning women into sex slaves for their army;
  • Now they're "ignoring" their history and don't like that these same Asian countries are putting up statues reminding them of what they did?

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
It is for money reason that the conservative party is not support, short history of the current thing as I understand.

It all start October 2018, when S.Korea highest court rule that Japan didn't pay reparation for using slave labor in WWII, and can retake property/company from Japan that is in S.Korea

Japan reponsd July 2019 that S.Korea is no longer on the white list for semiconductor product

S.Korea appeal to WTO in September 2019

S.Korea is now possible prepare to take property that was rule by court, since the court is going to do it's job soon, and Japan is looking at option, including visa change, sending S.Korea diplomat

The conflict has cause big confusion in the high tech industry for both country, with S.Korea preparing to nationalize some high tech company/industry, and Japan giving up long time relationship with S.Korea company, and now looking to work with Taiwan and Vietnam company.

Wow. Talk about heavy consequences. I used to think relations between Japan and S. Korea were pretty decent, at least nowadays. But I guess it makes sense tensions arise when a country that has suffered starts talking about all the wrongs another country has caused them. And the Japanese government seems pretty heavy handed in how they deal with that situation. Wow. Thanks for the info.

As for the statue of the comfort woman in front of the embassy, I'm guessing that's on South Korean soil?

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017

That's a disgusting statement.
No money on earth could ever compensate for the horrors these women went through.

Well now you've brought up something interesting, because money is involved. But instead, its Koreans hurting other Koreans.

So there is this organization called the "Korean Council for Justice and Remembrance for the Issue of Military Sexual Slavery by Japan" which is a government agency which collects and helps distribute the funds to former comfort women. However it was recently discovered that less than 5% of the funds have actually gone to the victims and the rest have been misused by the director. A very unfortunate turn of events.

www.koreatimes.co.kr

'Comfort women' scandal deepens

Recently, much of the news on wartime sex slavery issues, related to atrocities committed against young women from Korea and other countries by the Japanese military in the 1930s and 40s, is coming from the prosecutors' office.

Deleted member 21012

User requested account closure
Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait am I understanding the issue correctly:

• Imperial Japan went warring around Asia turning women into sex slaves for their army;
  • Now they're "ignoring" their history and don't like that these same Asian countries are putting up statues reminding them of what they did?
Yes, and it's to the point of the Japanese government making complaints about a memorial in New Jersey.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/19/...isades Park, NJ, Irritates Japanese Officials

Oct 25, 2017
For this particular ban, reviewing the discussion involved, it appears that this user had been reported reported multiple times. To explain the thought process behind the ban, the first post seemed antagonistic ("Who gives a shit?). And in the follow up post, even though the mod team agreed that this user was criticizing the government, we thought that, on balance, saying "the Japanese government should worry about more important things" seemed overly dismissive. Since the subject of comfort women is a painful subject to the people of many Asian countries, and since the statue was ultimately meant to spark discussion, indicating that the Japanese government should ignore the statue (instead of issuing an apology) seemed problematic. However, after getting feedback on this ban, and after consultation with additional staff, we realized we overextended and have opted to undo the ban. Apologies to tophu and to the thread at large.

No offence, but this seems to come from the mod culture of immediate crackdown on any kind of emotional response to something that is so obviously an emotional trigger. Why did you even need to get feedback and extra staff consultation when the post was so clear? Especially during the Asian Meeting that you are holding now, it comes across as you guys not seeing the forest for the trees. It's crazy that the ban was even allowed in the first place and this justification for it comes across as out-of-touch.

Oct 28, 2017
One of my Japanese friends made a post on Facebook that literally began (in Japanese) "I'm not racist but..."

The post goes on to say that Korea should thank Japan for building infrastructure and modernising the country.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
One of my Japanese friends made a post on Facebook that literally began (in Japanese) "I'm not racist but..."

The post goes on to say that Korea should thank Japan for building infrastructure and modernising the country.

A lot of Japanese people feel this way. It's odd, because the response and current popular sentiment over the Japanese occupation seems to vary by country. Your average Joe Korean dude might punch a Japanese person in the face for suggesting they should thank Japan for building infrastructure, whereas in Taiwan a lot of people DO thank Japan for building roads and bridges in mountainous regions, despite the trail of murder they left in their wake. I'd love for a Taiwanese person to chime in here with any insight into why that is, or how popular that sentiment truly is.

Oct 25, 2017
Japan's complete dismissal of their own very recent history is troubling to say the least, especially now that the far right has been seeing a resurgence there. They are 100% in the wrong here.

Chouster

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of Japanese people feel this way. It's odd, because the response and current popular sentiment over the Japanese occupation seems to vary by country. Your average Joe Korean dude might punch a Japanese person in the face for suggesting they should thank Japan for building infrastructure, whereas in Taiwan a lot of people DO thank Japan for building roads and bridges in mountainous regions, despite the trail of murder they left in their wake. I'd love for a Taiwanese person to chime in here with any insight into why that is, or how popular that sentiment truly is.

My family's Taiwanese, and my parents grew up under a very oppressive KMT rule which lasted decades so some of my relatives look more fondly of the past.

Regarding this statue, I'm not surprised at the response. There's statues all over the world / Korea, but I think the reason this is bigger news is because the statue looks exactly like Abe.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I found people in Taiwan to be very warm towards the Japanese. I assume they see modern Japan as a model and ally in stark contrast to communist China. I know many Taiwanese who like myself have migrated to Japan but I haven't really brought the subject up with them before...

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
Ever since I learned about so-called "comfort women" I've referred to them more accurately as "sex slaves". Don't adopt the language of the oppressor except to draw attention to the victims.

mintylurb

Oct 25, 2017

It's the product of Japan's current education system. They're conveniently forgetting the fact that many of the building infrastructure and modernization that did occur during Japan's occupation of Korea were blown to pieces during the Korean war. Let's not forget, these infrastructure and modernization of Korean during Japan's occupation were done to benefit Japan and its citizens in Korea, not to benefit your average Koreans. Also lost on many Japanese are the fact that Japan's economy benefited quite a bit from the Korean war(producing goods needed for the war) which helped them rebuild their country after WW2.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Now let's see how many war crime / rape apologists come into this thread to gaslight and victim blame:

I want to think nobody here is that idiotic / vile, but I'm probably fooling myself. The good news is that any such argument would be grounds for immediate permaban.

Edit:

Welp. Never bet on people not being idiots, I guess.

Last edited:

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Yeah I found people in Taiwan to be very warm towards the Japanese. I assume they see modern Japan as a model and ally in stark contrast to communist China. I know many Taiwanese who like myself have migrated to Japan but I haven't really brought the subject up with them before...

I can't remember if it was in Alishan or Hualien, but I was hiking around the mountains and I remember seeing signs on the road talking about how these roads were built by Japanese soldiers and how dangerous their work was, blah blah blah, and then signs talking about how those same soldiers tried to commit genocide on some of Taiwan's indigenous peoples. I'm certainly in no position to tell a Taiwanese person how they should feel about Japan, but as an outsider I just found it odd.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
What does Japan actually gain from denying "comfort women" anyways? It's a super well known historical event, and denying it seems to actively hurt their international diplomacy and trade relations with other countries. It's also old enough that presumably there's not a whole lot of people alive anymore who could be held accountable for the practice. Apologizing for the sins of the past and moving on (with the monetary compensation S. Korea is asking for) seems like a win/win.

I know Japan has a significant racism problems towards Koreans anyways, but still.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Nationalistic pride. Politicians courting hardline nationalist votes is a tactic as ancient as the Sun, especially among the right.

I guess that's true. Considering the country has admitted to it in the past, though, I'd imagine the economic boost from better relations with S. Korea would be worth more votes but what do I know.

Like, it seemed to be common knowledge even in the 50s/60s in Japan (at least going by how often I see it shown in old Japanese films) so it's just bizarre to me it's still an issue. Though, obviously, as an American in the age of Trump, I get how bad nationalists can be.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I guess that's true. Considering the country has admitted to it in the past, though, I'd imagine the economic boost from better relations with S. Korea would be worth more votes but what do I know.

Like, it seemed to be common knowledge even in the 50s/60s in Japan (at least going by how often I see it shown in old Japanese films) so it's just bizarre to me it's still an issue. Though, obviously, as an American in the age of Trump, I get how bad nationalists can be.

For context, consider how harshly Trump has acted regarding Canada, a country that has been one of America's closest and most consistent allies for ages. Nationalists don't give a shit about international relationships and will gladly sacrifice them at the altar of ensuring they get more votes from hardliners.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
think it's pretty clear that the victims of WW2 haven't found Japan's responses acceptable yet

maybe the government should try harder instead of complaining

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017

These "stunts" will continue so long as Japanese leadership continues to downplay and deny the past actions of their nation. Their apologies amount to complete shit when the biggest representatives of their people act the way they do (see the statue kicking, among other things).