• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
South Africa will have to buy doses of Oxford-AstraZeneca's Covid-19 vaccine at a price nearly 2.5 times higher than most European countries, the country's health ministry has said.
The African continent's worst virus-hit country has ordered at least 1.5m shots of the vaccine from the Serum Institute of India (SII), expected in January and February.
A senior health official on Thursday told AFP those doses would cost $5.25 (€4.32) each – nearly two and a half times the amount paid by most European countries.
European Union members will pay $2.16 (€1.78) for AstraZeneca's shots, according to information leaked by a Belgian minister on Twitter.

AstraZeneca France told AFP in November that its shots would be capped at €2.50 (around $3) per dose "to provide vaccines to the widest population, with as fair access as possible".

It did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the health ministry's price quote.

To date South Africa has recorded more than 1.3 million cases of coronavirus and 38,800 deaths.

South Africa's deputy director general of health Anban Pillay said via text message:
"The National Department of Health confirms that the price $5.25 is what was quoted to us."

Pillay told the local Business Daynewspaper the higher price was because other countries contributed to research and development.

"The explanation we were given for why other high-income countries have a lower price is that they have invested in the [research and development], hence the discount on the price," Pillay said.

Around 2,000 South Africans participated in clinical trials for the vaccine in 2020.

www.theguardian.com

South Africa paying more than double EU price for Oxford vaccine

Health ministry quotes says premium is because government did not pay into research and development effort

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
We've gotta make money somehow - Tories in 2021 who deliberately tanked our economy the last 4 years.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it because EU countries funded the vaccine so basically they already partialy paid for it or something?

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Happens with every vaccine. There's the rumor that the Pfizer vaccine delays in Europe are caused by other actors paying more for their doses, so they're being prioritized.

anamika

May 18, 2018
It says right there that 2000 South Africans participated in clinical trials. That's not enough to satisfy contribution to research requirements?

I think India is getting it at $3 per dose and that's supposedly a price offered to poorer, third world countries and is a non-profit price.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It says right there that 2000 South Africans participated in clinical trials. That's not enough to satisfy contribution to research requirements?

I think India is getting it at $3 per dose and that's supposedly a price offered to poorer, third world countries and is a non-profit price.
The $3 price is part of the deal for the Indian plant to make the vaccine on licence.

The reference to contribution is about the initial financial investment from various nations on the expectation of better rates.

itsgreen

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is it bullshit though?

Europe basically said: we'll pay you X amount for 100's of million doses of a possible working vaccin. Before it was certain this would work and when it would be available.

If I read it correctly, SA just recently tried to purchase it.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
Is it bullshit though?

Europe basically said: we'll pay you X amount for 100's of million doses of a possible working vaccin. Before it was certain this would work and when it would be available.

If I read it correctly, SA just recently tried to purchase it.

Some bullshit when you tell people this:

AstraZeneca France told AFP in November that its shots would be capped at €2.50 (around $3) per dose "to provide vaccines to the widest population, with as fair access as possible".

Apzu

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
I'll just add that Brazil will also pay $5.25 for each of the first 2 million doses we are bound to receive next week (maybe) from India. And to those that may say that we just didn't buy enough doses to get a better price, we have a 100 mi doses deal with Astrazeneca for the first half of 2021 and another 100 mi for the second half. The only reason we will get a price tag of $3.16 per dose in the future is because we are set to produce the vaccine in our own country.

Edit:
I tried to find the information in english, but the only source I have for these values is in portuguese. The source is reliable though and it even compares the prices with the ones mentioned in the guardian piece linked by the OP.
noticias.uol.com.br

Jamil Chade - Para 1ª entrega, Brasil paga o dobro dos europeus por vacinas

O governo brasileiro irá pagar ao Instituto Serum, da Índia, um valor mais de duas vezes superior ao que os países ricos da UE (União Europeia) destinaram para garantir as vacinas da AstraZeneca.Depois de um desencontro entre os governos do Bras

Last edited:

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Unless R&D and running costs are astronomical, this is just another example of greediness taking precedence over human lives. And unless the posters above have taken these costs into account when they posted, I consider their defense of companies prioritising profits made off one of the most serious diseases in modern history in very poor taste. 'Despicable' might be more appropriate.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless R&D and running costs are astronomical, this is just another example of greediness taking precedence over human lives. And unless the posters above have taken these costs into account when they posted, I consider their defense of companies prioritising profits made off one of the most serious diseases in modern history in very poor taste. 'Despicable' might be more appropriate.
The EU, like other nations, paid AZ up front to accelerate development and production on the expectation that they would pay less later on. SA did not.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
These deals being commonplace for vaccines belie the fact that AstraZeneca said the doses would be price capped.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
AstraZeneca explicitly said they would be sold at cost. So at least should try to blame it on shipping because there is no other excuse for pricing differences.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AstraZeneca explicitly said they would be sold at cost. So at least should try to blame it on shipping because there is no other excuse for pricing differences.
My understanding is that it is still planned to be at cost to developing nations once the licenced manufacturing centres are up and running.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Only to developing countries IIRC. Not sure SA counts as that.

www.theguardian.com

Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine to be sold to developing countries at cost price

Jab that is part of global initiative to distribute doses will remain at low price ‘in perpetuity’
My understanding is that it is still planned to be at cost to developing nations once the licenced manufacturing centres are up and running.
A lot of metrics still put both South Africa and India in that category. For instance, the IMF has both of them on the list. All five BRICS are still considered developing.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
IP is already grotesque enough when it it constitutes a theft from community and culture. Theft of health and life is an even lower rung of hell.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There are few.
For example they might have been produced in different part of the world. Even if it's sold at cost it might have different production cost.
Delivery time could be different, making the production cost different.

But it's just probably because europe have more contracting power.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
There are few.
For example they might have been produced in different part of the world. Even if it's sold at cost it might have different production cost.
Delivery time could be different, making the production cost different.

But it's just probably because europe have more contracting power.
For South Africa, is produced in India, at the Serum Institute. Can't imagine that to be more expensive than production in Western Europe.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For South Africa, is produced in India, at the Serum Institute. Can't imagine that to be more expensive than production in Western Europe.

Well, when speaking of those huge number of doses most stuff is automated. So probably stuff like taxes, subsidy, supply logistic and efficiency of production line matter more than manpower cost.

Deleted member 28564

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The EU, like other nations, paid AZ up front to accelerate development and production on the expectation that they would pay less later on. SA did not.
Rationalising the gatekeeping of health and, due to the severity of covid 19, life itself on the basis of timely payments, when South Africa is quite literally bankrupt with a ~27-28% unemployment rate, is next level bizarre. If you cannot prove that the distribution of a lifesaving vaccine at a discounted rate is financially untenable and therefore manufacturally unsustainable, you are putting financial interests above human interests.

Which is also the primary takeaway of that post of mine you quoted, where you have elected not to address the argument. So, to be clear, with that response of yours, are you implying that process more important than human life?
IP is already grotesque enough when it it constitutes a theft from community and culture. Theft of health and life is an even lower rung of hell.
But process! We ought to think about the potential shareholder wealth being denied by our improper demands for justness.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rationalising the gatekeeping of health and, due to the severity of covid 19, life itself on the basis of timely payments, when South Africa is quite literally bankrupt with a ~27-28% unemployment rate, is next level bizarre. If you cannot prove that the distribution of a lifesaving vaccine at a discounted rate is financially untenable and therefore manufacturally unsustainable, you are putting financial interests above human interests.

Which is also the primary takeaway of that post of mine you quoted, where you have elected not to address the argument. So, to be clear, with that response of yours, are you implying that process more important than human life?
Your argument is with capitalism, not me. I'm just stating facts.

Deleted member 28564

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Your argument is with capitalism, not me. I'm just stating facts.
I know what the facts are, since I know how to read and utilised this skill when writing my post in response to the OP and some posts in this thread. You accomplish exactly nothing by reiterating the obvious. All it does is drown out the bigger point. My argument is with those defending greedy capitalism in lieu of life, by the way.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know what the facts are, since I know how to read and utilised this skill when writing my post in response to the OP and some posts in this thread. You accomplish exactly nothing by reiterating the obvious. All it does is drown out the bigger point. My argument is with those defending greedy capitalism in lieu of life, by the way.
I'm not going to just jump on the outrage train, sorry. And your tone makes it clear you just want to argue which I'm not interested in.

Deleted member 28564

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm not going to just jump on the outrage train, sorry. And your tone makes it clear you just want to argue which I'm not interested in.
I think it's entirely appropriate to be outraged about health being gatekept during a pandemic. My tone makes it clear that I find your indifference reprehensible. If you're going to regurgitate the facts everyone is already aware of in a poor attempt at diluting the point being made, don't expect people to treat you as anything more than an annoyance.