• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Sounds to me like pressure to get Tampa a new stadium or to move the team away.

Two city team is a f'n joke

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Two City teams have been a thing in the past.... But for like Milwaukee/Green Bay or Buffalo/Toronto. Not fucking hundreds of miles away and in a different country

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being a fan in Tampa Bay, and your team makes the World Series. Guess you'll be traveling to Montreal to see a game!

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being a fan in Tampa Bay, and your team makes the World Series. Guess you'll be traveling to Montreal to see a game!
You'd think that if they're concerned about the weather in April then they would also play the October games in Tampa.

Meaning you could be a fan in Montreal for 90% of the year, only to see the playoffs go to Florida

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a nightmare for the players on the team. You'll have to have a steady place to stay in 2 countries for significant parts of the year. Don't think this will ever come to pass, and it seems like an excuse to get the relocation process going while pretending to be doing something else.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
This is just a polite way to lay the groundwork for a full move to Montreal.

Now, give us a team in North Carolina please, MLB.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just move the team out of Tampa lol the stadium and franchise are a joke despite having a really good on field product at the moment.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should absolutely move but what is this split season nonsnse? Is that because of the dumb lease (and associated new stadium agreements) they are locked into? It can't really be because of the weather. Montreal ain't that far from the rest of the NE that plays without a dome

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
Fuck this. Let them play part in Tampa, part in Orlando if they have to do a split. There's a ton of Rays fans in the Central Florida area. But goddamn, the stadium is so far away from anything that they never draw a crowd.

Nov 2, 2017
They should absolutely move but what is this split season nonsnse? Is that because of the dumb lease (and associated new stadium agreements) they are locked into? It can't really be because of the weather. Montreal ain't that far from the rest of the NE that plays without a dome

Feels almost certainly like:
This is just a polite way to lay the groundwork for a full move to Montreal.

Now, give us a team in North Carolina please, MLB.

The split season stuff is so that they can float this ridiculous notion to Tampa Bay, who will flatly reject paying for a new stadium for the team to play half their home games in. Montreal plays along with the charade, so when Tampa Bay says no, the Rays go "well, we've tried to make it work with Tampa Bay but they're not open to paying for a good new stadium and they're not open to the cheaper option, I guess we just have to move to Montreal".

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Can we take credit for giving away Charlie Morton, too, even if it wasn't to TB directly? :/

Yes.

We need to get rid of Ray Searage. He's fine at fixing broken veterans, but he's awful at molding young talent. I think Morton, Cole, and Glasnow is enough of a sample size to say that Searage's insistence on forcing people into a mold is a detriment to our ability grow pitching talent in house.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The split season stuff is so that they can float this ridiculous notion to Tampa Bay, who will flatly reject paying for a new stadium for the team to play half their home games in. Montreal plays along with the charade, so when Tampa Bay says no, the Rays go "well, we've tried to make it work with Tampa Bay but they're not open to paying for a good new stadium and they're not open to the cheaper option, I guess we just have to move to Montreal".
I actually can't wait to see the attempt to spin this here locally, as I just read an article from today from a local station that the county commissioner that's been pushing to get them over to Tampa is trying to start another push. The initial pitch had them trying to talk up all the extra business games will bring into Ybor, but with this development I don't see them trying that again.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
montreal_expos_1992-2004.png

Bring them back

bring them back?

aren't the Nationals the Expos?

this will be like the Cleveland Browns not being really the Cleveland Browns.

I do miss that Expos logo and colors though.. .miss their uniforms... miss their futuristic looking stadium.

aw man, now yall gonna make me go search for a Andre Dawson jersey.

Puddington

Nov 2, 2017
The Rays owner has been whining for a new stadium since he bought them. Fuck him, and his constant threats to leave Tampa Bay. They don't need the Rays and their bullshit.

Dr_LawyerCop

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It just doesn't seem like Tampa should have a team. They've put some quality teams on the field and have managed to be successful with small payrolls (though it's kinda fucked up how little money they're putting back into payroll), but fans don't show up. I'm not sure if Montreal is the answer but it'll be cool to have another Canadian team again. I'm positive this is to start the relocation process. No way would a team in two cities happen.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Hello, Prized Free Agent! How would you like to buy multiple homes, and spend your time in lovely Tampa Bay and some random place out of the states?

Will ONE million dollars do the trick? Hey, It's all we got, bro.

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
This is a threat to the city of Tampa to get them a new stadium, nothing more. I expect nothing to come of this, and to use Montreal as a pawn is fucked up.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
Such a ridiculous threat. Rays owner wants someone to build him a new stadium and is using this to see who bites first.

Nobody actually thinks of this as a long term solution.

The Rays are locked into their lease in 2027 unless the owner pays up to break the lease. So in the meantime, he will float this 2 city crap to see who gives him what he wants.

Also this provides an "out", the few Tampa fans left aren't going to want to support a team with a foot already out the door. So the owner is going to point to that and say "we tried to make it work but even with less games the fans weren't interested" and then he will happily pick up and move.

MLB should be embarrassed at this type of stunt.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Such a ridiculous threat. Rays owner wants someone to build him a new stadium and is using this to see who bites first.

Nobody actually thinks of this as a long term solution.

The Rays are locked into their lease in 2027 unless the owner pays up to break the lease. So in the meantime, he will float this 2 city crap to see who gives him what he wants.

Also this provides an "out", the few Tampa fans left aren't going to want to support a team with a foot already out the door. So the owner is going to point to that and say "we tried to make it work but even with less games the fans weren't interested" and then he will happily pick up and move.

MLB should be embarrassed at this type of stunt.

It's not a stunt. You have two deadbeat sports cities, who cannot attract a steady attendance. If you look to move either team, you are reduced to locations which are just as risky, if not more.

Nov 2, 2017
It's not a stunt. You have two deadbeat sports cities, who cannot attract a steady attendance. If you look to move either team, you are reduced to locations which are just as risky, if not more.

If you think the reason the Expos left Montreal is because the city just wouldn't support them, you have some reading to do about what happened with the Expos.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't this kinda tank the team as a free agent destination? At least with Florida you get the income tax thing. How will families handle living in two different cities during different parts of the year? In different countries, no less? What a headache.

Oct 28, 2017
There are plenty of cities that a baseball team would flourish in.
The Triangle would probably be a great baseball location.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
If you think the reason the Expos left Montreal is because the city just wouldn't support them, you have some reading to do about what happened with the Expos.

Because the cost to build a new dome ballpark and pray the fans come out in droves is on the under. I've been saying for years they deserve a team, but the total investment is going to kill it. An outdoor ballpark makes a lot of sense in generating interest.

I know plenty about the Expos. I know they were ready to play at Fenway Park towards the end, which would have been a ton of fun.