• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
All TV speaker audio is bad. Yes, even the LG CX. It sounds like it does some things well, but still not great. I hooked up some old computer speakers to it for now and it's decent, but could be better. It doesn't look like the CX gives you any control at all over the sound unless you use TV sound, which is baffling.
I had previously used a sound bar on a different TV and was annoyed with the unfixable audio latency it provided. Made it almost worse than nothing. I have no room for a multi speaker setup, so I don't know what to do. Deal with speakers, I guess. But I think it would be hard to recommend a sound bar since I feel I've been burned once already.

Oct 27, 2017
Need help with soundbar setup with Q90t and PS5. I have the PS5 connected to the soundbar. From the soundbar, the HDMI cable goes into the game port (4). Sound works but HDR does not work as it says my TB isnt compatible (which isnt true). When I plug the PS5 directly to the HDMI 4 in the TV, HDR works perfectly fine.

If I connect my PS5 directly to my TV (game port) HDR obviously works, but when I connect from HDMI OUT from the sound bar an HDMI IN port on the TV (EARC) for example, no sound comes from the soundbar no matter what input I select.

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Well I got a JBL 9.1, it's really good yeah. Got it 130 cheaper then regular price too!

Thanks for the help!
Got one JBL 9.1 too. The subwoofer is over the top, you can't keep good relationship with neighbors at volume 3 (out of 5). It may lack some nuance in some movies, but overall the surround sound is outstanding for this price range. I chose it mostly because my wall is only 30cm behind my couch, and the rear sats fit perfectly in that setup.

Highly recommended. I have an issue though, I can't seem to play my Switch in surround, even when I hook itup directly on the JBL 9.1. Does that mean LPCM is not supported on it? Can't find any information online about it.

OP
OP
Amnixia

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Got one JBL 9.1 too. The subwoofer is over the top, you can't keep good relationship with neighbors at volume 3 (out of 5). It may lack some nuance in some movies, but overall the surround sound is outstanding for this price range. I chose it mostly because my wall is only 30cm behind my couch, and the rear sats fit perfectly in that setup.

Highly recommended. I have an issue though, I can't seem to play my Switch in surround, even when I hook itup directly on the JBL 9.1. Does that mean LPCM is not supported on it? Can't find any information online about it.

I think it is, iirc it switched to linear pcm when my switch was playing BotW (attached to to tv and then earch to soundbar)

ill double check later today and update!

0h-so-Cold

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 2, 2020
I just picked up the JBL 9.1 sound bar yesterday! Comes with huge subwoofer and two detachable (wireless) speakers you can place around the room for surround sound. Supports Dolby Atmos as well. Really happy with it so far!
I feel as though this was the best suggestion out of the whole thread. This bar is a thing of beauty and highly functional. I have the 2 wireless surround sound speakers on opposite ends of my mantle. Works really good for acoustics.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Amnixia

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018

Just tried it, it does show PCM but I'm not super sure the surround works or if BotW doesn't make much use of it. I tried to compare with the soundbar off and using the tv sound > and I think I do hear more sounds like crickets in the back left and right speaker then from. The sound "'moves" with rotating the camera or so it seems.

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Just tried it, it does show PCM but I'm not super sure the surround works or if BotW doesn't make much use of it. I tried to compare with the soundbar off and using the tv sound > and I think I do hear more sounds like crickets in the back left and right speaker then from. The sound "'moves" with rotating the camera or so it seems.
Thank you for trying. The best test is to check if you can hear sounds that play in the console settings when you select surround instead of stereo. In my case I get no sound.

Last edited:

bic

Oct 28, 2017
This seems like it would be a good thread to ask, do you hook up consoles, PCs, etc. to the TV or the sound bar? My current old-ass receiver only has two HDMI ports, so really looking for an upgrade.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
Looking to get a sound bar for my new 77" LG CX this holiday season, and I was planning on going with the Sonos Arc. After reading this thread, it sounds like I may want to look into the JBL 9.1? Which is better?

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
If you're gonna go the soundbar route, definitely get one with a subwoofer.

But I dunno, I feel like getting even okay speakers would be a better investment. Admittedly I've only had experience with fairly regular 200-300 euro soundbars, maybe the more expensive stuff is better.

When I was looking at a soundbar with 3 inputs and HDR passthrough about a year ago on /r/hometheater I was greeted with the following.

Buy a 4k HDR compatible AVR, and quit fucking around.

and

Buy an AVR - and a pair of MB42X speakers plus the X center to go with it, and build a box around the speakers if you have to make it look like a soundbar. You'll thank me later :)

I did the latter and have no complaints.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I finally got my soundbar (Vizio V21-H8R). I love it, but unfortunately I have some audio delay issues using HDMI Arc. I guess my TV isn't strong enough to process audio and video fast enough? It's a 4K Hisense from about 3 years ago. Not sure why, but I've tried everything and there's always a delay. I switched to Optical and it's working great now, but I'm kind of sad I won't be able to take advantage of the Dolby virtual stuff. Anyone else experienced that?

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
1300 euros which is a bit high considering I can almost get a pretty decent set of Kef speakers for that.

Yeah 1300 on a soundbar and sub is probably going to sound a lot worse than an amplifier and speakers at that same cost. But soundbars are for people who will trade sound quality for convenience at a given price.

If I was in the market for a soundbar I would probably get the recently rumoured Sonos ARC SL and see how it was without a sub. But if I had your TV I would be worried that it wouldn't sound much better than the built in speakers. High end TV speakers tend to be OK these days.

Depends on your living scenario, for me separates are not an option right now, I don't know your situation though.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
What's the consensus on Sonos? I remember getting a review unit 10-12 years ago and being really impressed but the cost was prohibitive. I'm eying the soundbar + two speaker set for ~700 USD which seems pricey but still reasonable for a wireless home theater setup.

It is expensive, but if you can afford the Amp or Connect, depending on your setup, you'll have the quality of their software with way better quality speakers.

We have 2 of the smaller bookshelf speakers (Play 1 I think?) and the technology is incredible, the sound is solid for the package, but by no means for the price.

Sonos Amp is also fantastic. I bought that in March after WFH began, and hooked it up to some vintage Advents I had stashed at my parents and a cheap Dayton sub. Recently, I upgraded to a pair of KEF Q350s and, after our lease is up and when we settle on a new place, gonna add a receiver to expand to 4.1 or maybe 5.1.

Unfortunately, Sonos is expensive as fuck to drive non-Sonos speakers. The amp supports 2.1, so to realize my plan, I'll need both a receiver and a Sonos Connect, which is another $400+, just to route the Sonos audio to an existing amplified speaker. So price of receiver + connect + 2-3 extra speakers 🥺. I'm trying my best to incrementally upgrade, because I can't go back to pre-Sonos audio setups. The convenience is really killer.

I'm a budding (and broke) audiophile. I know I have a problem and I refuse to stop escalating.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Looking to get a sound bar for my new 77" LG CX this holiday season, and I was planning on going with the Sonos Arc. After reading this thread, it sounds like I may want to look into the JBL 9.1? Which is better?
I really don't think you can go wrong with the JBL 9.1. Out of the box it's a much more complete solution. The bass is also incredible, very very good Subwoofer. I think the atmos works pretty well too all things considered.

OP
OP
Amnixia

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Thank you for trying. The best test is to check if you can hear sounds that play in the console settings when you select surround instead of stereo. In my case I get no sound.

Sorry for the very late reply 🙏

If I attach my Switch directly to the sound bar and then go into options, TV and set output to surround the wireless speakers work fully correctly with surround

Edit:

I have a JBL9.1 bar and a LG CX tv. i couldn't hear all 6 sounds if my TV passed the sound. With the TV > soundbar > Switch chain I could

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019
So it seems like all of the recommended sets here are too tall for the LG CX, since it's such a low-profile. Without mounting, what do you folks do? A riser, cover part of the TV, or...other?

UsefulSpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I got a Sony HT-ST9 for like half price a few years ago. It has plenty of power, especially for a soundbar.

element

Oct 27, 2017
I got a Soundcore Infini Pro a bit ago and its has been nice. Very full sound with pretty solid low end with games and movies. I'm running it through HDMI and run into all types of problems with the sound just stop working. Not sure if it is the Soundbar or my Vizio TV.

Dec 4, 2017
How's the Sony HT-G700? Is the surround emulation out of 3.1 as good as some reviewers claim?

I'm looking at buying a soundbar to finally stop using my Sony's tinny two speakers, and I'm looking at either the HT-G700, or a local brand with chinesium internals, which however has 5.1.2 upward- and side-firing speakers in the bar.

OP
OP
Amnixia

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I got a Soundcore Infini Pro a bit ago and its has been nice. Very full sound with pretty solid low end with games and movies. I'm running it through HDMI and run into all types of problems with the sound just stop working. Not sure if it is the Soundbar or my Vizio TV.

Since the latest LG CX update I notice some sound losses when switching between inputs.

Probably a negotiation thingy they need to fix

Slv

Oct 26, 2017
Latvia
I have a Samsung Q82R , only thing hooked is a Xbox series X, what is a reasonable soundbar, around 200 eur max 300, don't need a sub, 1 room apartment, thanks ! So there are no audio delays it uses hdmi as well I suppose ?

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to upgrade my sound bar and just hitting walls. My use case is an Apple TV 4K and a Sony UHD player hooked to the sound bar. No game consoles aside from the switch, I have them in another room with a full surround system.

The JBL 9.1 looks really great, but it's sold out absolutely everywhere with no option to even buy online. Is it being discontinued?

The Samsung Q950T seemed promising, but apparently it doesn't support LPCM? This means all my non Atmos content from the Apple TV would only play in stereo I think, since the ATV outputs LPCM 5.1.

The above also ruled out the Samsung Q850T.

Are there any good sound bars I'm missing that have rear wireless?

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
With regard to some of these that come with a wireless sub, does the sub needed to be close, or can I just put it behind my couch 10 feet away?

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I recently bought a Sony soundbar with a built-in subwoofer (one or two up from their base model I think) for my TV when the built-in speakers started dying for low-frequency sound.

It's a decent upgrade over the TV's speakers (which weren't terrible, to be fair) but absolutely no replacement for a proper 5.1 set-up. The main issue I've had was with HDMI ARC. I'm not sure if it was my TV or the speakers but I started getting inconstancy with whether it worked or not, or my TV's connection to the soundbar. It also had the annoying issue of sometimes automatically switching the TV on. Optical works fine though.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm actually finding that I want to keep my audio coming through TV with our new Samsung Q80T purchase. It sounds really bloody good, though our previous TV was some Dick Smith branded one from five years ago so it was expected to have a soundbar.

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
So I know soundbars work by reflecting sound off the ceiling. I have a two-story family room where my tv is. It's not a vaulted ceiling, but just a flat two story ceiling. Would a soundbar be feasible in such a room?

Oct 28, 2017
Went over to Sonos after being a major audio snob for years. Couldn't be happier and saved literally a ton of money.

With that said, if you're nit interested in whole home audio or the Airplay 2 capability of Sonos equipment, there are other options available that are just as good.

Dolby Atmos on the Sonos products honestly doesn't make much of a difference. Having used the Arc with both a regular Dolby and atmos signal I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Remember if you're buying Sonos and want Atmos you're going to need EARC on your TV. Also, Sonos can't switch inputs. It's one HDMI plug in.

Nov 1, 2017
If you prefer aesthetics over function, a soundbar can work. However, I have found every set I've demoed to be abysmal in contrast to even some of the most basic of speaker setups. My biggest issue with soundbars is their reliance on ARC, which often introduces audio latency. It's distracting a lot of the time and makes playing rhythm games outright infuriating impossible.

Unfortunately it's not the best time to pick up a dedicated AVR unit either. I would recommend going with something that supports HDMI 2.1 but all models this year have a bug that breaks 4k120hz, not ideal for your TV.

The easiest affordable solution might be to simply pick up powered speakers that can rely on themselves with a 3.5mm cable. For example, I personally ended up preferring the Audioengine A5+ desktop speakers (which are alright) over the Sony HT-ST5000 soundbar, which costs 3 times as much! But I also completely understand why that might not be the most appealing option to some.

In contrast to passive speakers with a dedicated AVR unit, a downside to Active speakers (and a Soundbar) is that you can't really "expand" your future setup with them. Unless you pick up an AVR unit with RCA out (which is currently only included with higher-end AVR units).

The last thing to keep in mind is that a good pair of passive speakers will last you years to come.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I plan on getting the LGCX issue being the low profile of the screen - meaning the options for a soundbar is quite limited - so are there any slim affordable soundbars out there that would work?

Currently looking at JBL 2.1 Bar.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just purchased an Arc to replace my Playbar, fucking thing won't be here til February.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
Just purchased an Arc to replace my Playbar, fucking thing won't be here til February.
I managed to get lucky and kept checking Best Buy periodically before Christmas, and it popped up as in stock and had it shipped to my store. I waited until Christmas to open it, and it's amazing. Well worth the wait - you won't be disappointed!

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I managed to get lucky and kept checking Best Buy periodically before Christmas, and it popped up as in stock and had it shipped to my store. I waited until Christmas to open it, and it's amazing. Well worth the wait - you won't be disappointed!

I had to buy mine through Sonos because I got a friends and family discount. I might just buy one at Costco and return it after I get directly from Sonos.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
I bought my first sound bar yesterday. It's the Vizio M21d-H8R which has a built in sub. I'm not blown away, but I can live with it. But what I didn't expect was sound latency.

Man it was killing me at when I first hooked it up and saw how delayed the lip syncing was. It has improved since then, especially because my Nvidia Shield allows me to delay the video instead of sound to compensate for the sound delay.

I am using HDMI Arc and have tried Optical which I think results in less latency. But I like the convenience of HDMI Arc. Is there anything else I can do to reduce latency?