• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not a stupid question, they have to be plugged in. Wireless means no wires to/from the receiver

I have the cheapo Roku wireless speakers, which are really great for my needs and work awesome, but yeah they have to be plugged into the wall/power source somewhere. Unless maybe there's something new these days.
Got it, thanks!

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I got a Vizio Elevate for $1000 and it's pretty good. The way the side speakers rotate upward for Dolby Atmos seems gimmicky but it the speakers just plain sound great so I'm pretty happy with it.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I recently upgraded to a LG CX and while the panel is pretty amazing the sound is a bit flat.

Was looking at good soundbars and found this one called the "Sonos Playbar" but that has no proper bass apparently and you need to buy a subwoofer bringing the package to around 1300 euros which is a bit high considering I can almost get a pretty decent set of Kef speakers for that.

Anyone recently bought a decent soundbar setup ? I'm mostly looking to play the usual on it (live concerts on disk, games/movies).
just buy a vizio. they are cheap and the sound quality is pretty good.

around 4 years ago, i bought a 5.1 system with five speakers including two rear end speakers that connect to the subwoofer which connects wirelessly to the soundbar and its been pretty amazing.

the only thing i dont like is that the rear speakers connect using long wires to the wireless subwoofer but other than that vizio has the best price to quality ratio. who knows maybe they have made the rear speakers wireless as well.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I have that Sonos soundbar and I was really impressed with the sound. Listen to music on it all the time. The bass is fine for a standard living room. Unless you're trying to have like a bumping house party, a home theater, or you're an audiophile, it gets the job done on it's own.

OP
OP
Amnixia

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
just buy a vizio. they are cheap and the sound quality is pretty good.

around 4 years ago, i bought a 5.1 system with five speakers including two rear end speakers that connect to the subwoofer which connects wirelessly to the soundbar and its been pretty amazing.

the only thing i dont like is that the rear speakers connect using long wires to the wireless subwoofer but other than that vizio has the best price to quality ratio. who knows maybe they have made the rear speakers wireless as well.

If I buy a Vizio it'll cost me more since I have to import it. Think they themselves don't ship outside the US

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I buy a Vizio it'll cost me more since I have to import it. Think they themselves don't ship outside the US
i see. I'd say find an affordable 5.1 soundbar or dont bother. Dont bother with Sony or LG because they are too expensive. My brother just has a Sony soundbar and it simply isnt as good as mine because it lacks the subwoofer and the rear speakers.

At the very least, get a 3.1 sound bar so you get the center channel along with the right and left channels which will help with the dialogue.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
The vizio 5.1 bars are solid.

I dunno, maybe I got a lemon but mine is anything but solid. Mine will randomly lose being able to detect the right audio signal and the only thing I can do is to unplug it and plug it back in. A simple power shut down won't do it, nor will unplugging and replugging in the HDMI. It's functional, but it's certainly not the smooth setup like my main AVR.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
They're not confusing, they're just worse and more limited for the same amount of money if you have the space for a larger setup. It's just like people asking for gaming headset recs over actual good headphones.

OP
OP
Amnixia

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I enjoy my HW-Q950T too but there are a few niggling issues like the lack of proper support for Lossless PCM (e.g. PS4 Pro only outputs in Stereo when set to PCM). The decision to place the display on the top of the bar is baffling.

OP, just make sure you do your research if you're trying to get surround sound. Game consoles and PCs typically output in multichannel LPCM 5.1/7.1, so make sure your soundbar can handle that format, otherwise you'll get stuck with stereo sound. The Sonos Arc for example requires a software update to support LPCM.

Good tip!

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Picking up a JBL 9.1 after work today! Starting to have issues with my Logitech z5500's. They've been amazing speakers for the past 10+ years but it's time for an upgrade.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I looked at the Sonos Arc but kinda pricey after most likely buying sub and additional speakers for rears.

I ended going with Vizio Elevate. Has rear speakers, takes Atmos and DTX and sound has been good for me.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
For the folks recommending speakers, any decent sounding but low profile suggestions?

Currently my setup is 10 year old Onkyo receiver paired with 10 year old VERY BIG floor standing speakers (Polks that probably cost $100/each so nothing special.) My wife thinks they are hideous and I'm not going to disagree. We are shopping for a soundbar partially because it will sit prettily under the TV instead of looking like a rec room circa 1987.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
OP, you bought a high end TV. Don't skimp on the audio.

That said, don't get the PlayBar. Get the Arc or Beam. If you really want cheaper look at the Yamaha sound bars.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I don't see the point in a soundbar that doesn't come with a sub. Soundbars are about balancing convenience with sacrifices or compromises in audio delivery. It's a good idea to do your research and decide where you want to settle, whether it's 2.1, 5.1, or those 7.1.x systems and up.

Consider what use cases are important to you, or more important, be it music, TV shows, movies or games. Some soundbars are more suited to one than another. You'll want better surround capabilities for immersive cinema and games, obviously.

Be aware of speaker layout. Having 5.1 on a single soundbar is different to having 5.1 on a soundbar that has separate rear speakers, for example, and don't fall for the Dolby Atmos marketing trap. These days, Atmos licencing only means the hardware is licenced to decode Atmos audio and map it to its own speaker layout.

If Atmos is important to you, make sure you choose something with upfiring speakers. And always keep in mind the compromises made for convenience. Soundbars usually rely on either using virtual surround using less speakers, or bouncing some channels off walls. It's a good idea to check what each potential system employs and whether you're happy with the results.

I enjoy my HW-Q950T too but there are a few niggling issues like the lack of proper support for Lossless PCM (e.g. PS4 Pro only outputs in Stereo when set to PCM). The decision to place the display on the top of the bar is baffling.

OP, just make sure you do your research if you're trying to get surround sound. Game consoles and PCs typically output in multichannel LPCM 5.1/7.1, so make sure your soundbar can handle that format, otherwise you'll get stuck with stereo sound. The Sonos Arc for example requires a software update to support LPCM.
Yeah, having the display at the top is grade A ridiculous. Wrapping the soundbar in fabric isn't the best idea either, although I've found a weekly vacuum keeps dust at bay. Could be a disaster if you have pets though.

I'm reasonably happy that they fixed most of the other outstanding bugs and issues in the last firmware update, here's hoping LPCM gets fixed in the next one.

Last edited:

Coolsambob

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
I use the Logitech Z960 and am very pleased with it.

Haven't gotten is spread around as a 5.1 set but all speakers below my TV and honestly was a huge upgrade over the Samsung soundbar I was using before.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I don't get them, why wouldn't you just get a surround setup? You can buy a 5.1 system with all the speakers included for 500-600 dollars probably which is less than some soundbars go for and you'll get decent sounding true surround. Are they more for smaller rooms or like if you don't want to run some wires?

Grazzt

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I'm also thinking about getting a good atmos soundbar this holiday. Currently looking at LG SN11RG and Samsung Q950T. The former is more stable and the latter has better sound it seems. Still can't decide yet.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
If you're spending that much and have the space, you're honestly better off buying an AVR and two decent stereo speakers. Don't buy a system in a box - start out with stereo/2.1 and build up as you can afford it.

Sound bars are great when you're tight on space and/or budget.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very far from an audiophile but I got a JBL 5.1 soundbar on my CX with some air miles and I think it's dope. The sub is bigger than my damn luggage.

No Atmos support, though.

Grazzt

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
If you're spending that much and have the space, you're honestly better off buying an AVR and two decent stereo speakers. Don't buy a system in a box - start out with stereo/2.1 and build up as you can afford it.

Sound bars are great when you're tight on space and/or budget.
Any recommendations? I'm afraid of running cables because my cat will certainly chew on them

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
Any recommendations? I'm afraid of running cables because my cat will certainly chew on them
Something like the Sony STR 1080 will be a good choice if you find a deep discount on black Friday (it's a bit old). I'm afraid I don't know anything about wireless solutions, though.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
2.1 is where it's at for me.

Headphone jack>amp>speakers+1sub

Works wonders. Even got a crossover.

I do however, need a new sub at one point. Well not really but it wouldn't hurt lol

My entire system was frankenstein'd and fixed up from items in the trash. But you can still find most items cheap used.

2.1 is the bare minimum for great sound.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
So I recently upgraded to a LG CX and while the panel is pretty amazing the sound is a bit flat.

Was looking at good soundbars and found this one called the "Sonos Playbar" but that has no proper bass apparently and you need to buy a subwoofer bringing the package to around 1300 euros which is a bit high considering I can almost get a pretty decent set of Kef speakers for that.

Anyone recently bought a decent soundbar setup ? I'm mostly looking to play the usual on it (live concerts on disk, games/movies).
So I have the Sonos 5.1 set up, but I moved and only have the Playbar unpacked the sound is fine as is.
I only notice my sub going off if there's loud explosion or bass heavy music

OP
OP
Amnixia

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
So I have the Sonos 5.1 set up, but I moved and only have the Playbar unpacked the sound is fine as is.
I only notice my sub going off if there's loud explosion or bass heavy music

I listen to a bunch of heavy metal bands so bass is pretty important

SOBOSLDR

Nov 27, 2017
I bought a Sony HTRT3 about 2 years ago was only 180 euro, comes with the bar a sub and 2 back speakers. it's not amazing but it works and was the cheapest pseudo 5.1 out there.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have to be honest I hate these things. I have one with a sub and have the exact same issue I did with surround sound. There's no low volume solution. Thanks to dynamic range its always whisper quiet talking followed by explosions that wake the neighbours up

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
Can highly recommend the Sonos Beam. I also bought the 2 wireless rear surrounds (Play:1) for it, which work great. It has more than enough bass already without the separate expensive sub unit. If you are in the Apple ecosystem, it supports Airplay 2 out of the box, which is useful.

That setup worked so well, I ended up replicating it in another room.

As a bonus, you can enable the Alexa voice control (built in) on it and control your setups volume via voice, which is great. It also auto ducks the TV/Console audio when you are communicating with Alexa so the 2 things don't compete for your attention.

Mar 27, 2019
What's the consensus on Sonos? I remember getting a review unit 10-12 years ago and being really impressed but the cost was prohibitive. I'm eying the soundbar + two speaker set for ~700 USD which seems pricey but still reasonable for a wireless home theater setup.

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
I just picked up the vizio 5.1 with atmos on Best Buys early black Friday deal and holy shit im blown away. Its my first surround, atmos is the real deal, and for the price is impressive. It is a little finnicky, but quality seems awesome to me.

RetroDLC

Oct 27, 2017
I've been wanting to a buy a soundbar for a while but I didn't want to spend too much on my first, so I recently bought the Majority Bowfell for $35/ÂŁ30.

Majority Bowfell Compact 2.1 Bluetooth Soundbar for TV with Optical, Wireless and Wired Options, AUX + RCA USB Playback 50W Ideal for TV/Television, PC/Computer and Gaming, Black: Amazon.co.uk: Hi-Fi & Speakers

Shop Majority Bowfell Compact 2.1 Bluetooth Soundbar for TV with Optical, Wireless and Wired Options, AUX + RCA USB Playback 50W Ideal for TV/Television, PC/Computer and Gaming, Black. Free delivery and returns on eligible orders.

81hQ-qx9UzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The quality of this thing is amazing. It's a 2.1 soundbar (with no external subwoofer) and it has 3.5mm, RCA and optical inputs (personally I have it linked up to a portable monitor that itself is linked to my laptop). The bass isn't too deep but it's clear enough for good music playback, and the stereo separation is wide enough for smaller setups. Overall, this is considerably better than I was expecting compared to other small form factor speakers like the Anker Soundcore range I have heard.

In the future I may opt to upgrade to a wider soundbar along with a 42" TV I'll be buying in the next few months, though I don't see myself spending more than ÂŁ80 to ÂŁ100. This will keep me fine for a long time.

Last edited:

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I haven't checked in on them in a bit, but when I was looking for a moderately priced soundbar last year for my partner the Yamaha yas 209 was a great buy. I am sure it is missing out on a bunch of higher end features but the sound quality for the price is great. Plus I like it's anesthetics. Nice and simple so it blends in rather than stands out.

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah definitely get one with a subwoofer. That plus the bar aren't too space consuming but it depends on your entertainment center setup, of course. I went with a well reviewed one maybe 6 years ago and I want to say it was $180, Sony. I'm very happy with it and thanks to the subwoofer, I do get power and even rumbling in my house when watching movies with explosions. For some reason when I turn everything on for the day it flips between HDMI inputs for the first 10 seconds without me touching anything. I turned off auto switch on the sound bar as well as my devices but it still does it. It's an annoyance but it didn't always do that, probably started around the 2 year mark.

One time my mother in law was babysitting at my house and when we came home, she had turned the TV on but not the soundbar and subwoofer. the TV's audio... was horrendous. I had the soundbar since day 1 so I've never heard the TV's speakers before, yikes x1000

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Samsung one as well, and I love that it's wireless to my 4K Samsung TV using their own app on the TV. I love that I can turn my TV on and the subwoofer and Soundbar comes on together and I can use one remote to control everything.