• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Jessica Curry is back with another video game music radio programme, this time with BBC Radio 3 - Sound of Gaming!

The first episode aired at 3 p.m. on Saturday 26th October, and it features a lengthy interview with Grant Kirkhope, alongside tunes from Telling Lies, Panzer Dragoon Saga, L.A. Noire and more. You can catch up with it via iPlayer. As a heads up I'm not sure if people outside of the UK can listen in, which is a shame.

The next episode airing this coming Saturday promises a focus on Indie game music and has an interview with Celeste's Lena Raine!

The BBC is also asking for fan suggestions and messages:

Anyone tuning in? I have to imagine hearing Panzer Dragoon music live over the British airways is pretty surreal.

Alexem

Oct 27, 2017
Essex, UK
Ah, so that'll probably be why Eímear Noone was presenting the slot on Classic FM in the summer. Will have to try and remember that this show's on in the afternoon rather than the evening.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
That was a good listen, Kirkhope is such a cheery guy, he basically sounds like his scores.

Nice choices of music too, especially Saori Kobayashi.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Oooh, I'd missed this. Delighted to see the BBC catching on.

We can't be that far from a Game Music Prom, can we?

OP
OP
Rotobit

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Forgot to bump this with last Saturday's episode, which is the one focusing on indies and featuring an interview with Lena Raine.

Has some Cuphead, Journey, Outer Wilds, and more!

OP
OP
Rotobit

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This week's episode went up, by the by!

Opens strong with some Octopath Traveler, Chrono Trigger finally pops up, Tetris gets mashed together with Bach, Planet Zoo gets early love with some insight from the composer, and there's even some Skull Girls.

Interview this week is with Winifred Phillips, who composed Assassin's Creed III Liberation, the original God of War, some Little Big Planet 3 tracks, and more! She has some awesome and true points about live VGM concerts and their personal connections to people. I'll never forget hearing FFXIV's Answers in-person last year.

Pretty happy with this episode, my issue with most of these radio programmes is the lack of Japanese tracks, especially ones that aren't composed by Uematsu (I love the guy obviously but there's sooo much more). Also cool they went with one of the original soundfont versions of a Chrono Trigger track.

OP
OP
Rotobit

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
And here's the episode from the 16th!

Cruelly only features the first few seconds of Kingdom Hearts' orchestrated Hikari, but some solid picks here regardless, like Dragon Roost Island, Nozomi's Confession from Shenmue, and a certain theme that goes with everything. Also the soundtrack to a Wonderbook game shows up, which is wild.

Interview this week is with Olivier Deriviere, who composed for A Plague Tale, Greedfall, 11-11 Memories Retold, Remember Me, Vampyr, Dying Light 2, and more besides.

OP
OP
Rotobit

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty big episode from the past weekend, as it features an interview with The Last Guardian's composer, Takeshi Furukawa!

Some insight on Wattam's ending theme from Keita Takahashi, too. It's a jam I hadn't heard anything about.

And there's the piano arrangement of Ahead on Our Way from Final Fantasy VII, aka one of the best FF songs.

First episode now available indefinitely as a podcast
OP
OP
Rotobit

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry I haven't been updating this thread regularly, missed a few episodes over the past month, but there's some good news - the first episode with Grant Kirkhope is available as a podcast episode indefinitely!

Presumably the rest will follow, at least the ones that don't run into licensing problems.

TLSLex

Oct 26, 2017
Scotland
Damn, I'd have liked to have heard the one with FFVII's Ahead on Our Way arrangement but the page doesn't exist (I assume this is the BBC's usual storage timeout situation).