• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I have a sony 55 inch 950g TV

the speakers are kind of shit, some things sound a little quiet when others sound loud, somethings seem kinda muffled. When i play games with headphones on, everything sounds miiiiiiles better.

I'm thinking about getting a sound bar, my set up cant really work with a bunch of speakers.

Would a sound bar make a difference? I'm looking at this one. https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/sony-ht-s350-2-1ch-bluetooth-soundbar-and-wireless-sub-woofer

i want it to be sony so i can just use the one remote for everything (I'm in love with it, i use it on the ps5 too) and if I'm being honest, this is the most i want to spend on one of these (I'd wait for a sale probably anyways)

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
There was a big thread about this recently, see if I can find it. I have a soundbase it's a Panasonic SC-HTE 80. Had it fir a long time, very worth while investment as TV speakers are just too tinny sounding.

Found it!

www.resetera.com

Budget Soundbars

On the dawn of having nextgen systems I was thinking about adding a soundbar to my entertainment center to punch up the sound on my TCL 6 six series. I got $250 from trading in my old gaming systems, but I've been looking at systems around the $150 range: TCL Alto 7+ Vizio V-Series Just for...

OP
OP
Abylim

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Thanks! I'll browse that thread too.

Looks like I'll probably end up grabbing this one when it goes on sale

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
It's very much worth the upgrade versus TV Speakers (Have a Sonos Arc, which I was able to get via for "cheap" via an old Sonos speaker replacement program).

One feature on the Arc, which is great, is a Speech Enhancement feature that makes the dialogue in a movie stand out more cleanly. I'm not sure if this is a common feature on other soundbars, but it makes a huge difference while watching movies to my ears.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Although TV Speakers are getting better, anything is better than the TV Speakers and I personally think a good 2.1 set or a good sound bar is better than a surround set.

DannyClash

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the dolby atmos dts x logo on that soundbar. That dts x is a pretty good upgrade

Yamaha is a brand worth checking out

OP
OP
Abylim

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
It's very much worth the upgrade versus TV Speakers (Have a Sonos Arc, which I was able to get via for "cheap" via an old Sonos speaker replacement program).

One feature on the Arc, which is great, is a Speech Enhancement feature that makes the dialogue in a movie stand out more cleanly. I'm not sure if this is a common feature on other soundbars, but it makes a huge difference while watching movies to my ears.

Dear lord, i need this. I am so tired of straining to hear people talk, and getting my ears blown out from explosions

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yes, absolutely. The jump in quality between TV speakers and a sound bar, in my opinion, is greater than that between a sound bar and surround setup.

Yea TV speakers, I don't care what TV, cannot compare to even a $200 2.1 channel soundbar with a sub woofer. It is night and day.

So yes OP, even a cheap soundbar will make a difference.

Tbro777

Nov 24, 2017
I got one from walmart on black friday, it was $29, Onn brand. Cheap but still way better than my tv speakers

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
Yamaha is a brand worth checking out
This.

When researching my soundbar I discovered that Yamaha actually invented them, so I decided I could do no better than buy something from Yamaha. I went for a YSP-1600 and the only down side is it only has the most basic Bluetooth spec, so there's some lag when using headphones. Other than that, sound quality is excellent, it can somehow make surround sound which is very convincing. It can be updated over wifi and there are probably more features I've forgotten about.

Can't imagine being without it. One of my better purchases.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
No Sony's, but Wirecutter is always a good place to start for searches like this:

www.nytimes.com

The Best Soundbar

The Polk MagniFi Mini AX is the all-around best soundbar because of its big, immersive sound, small footprint, affordable cost, and easy operation.