• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I wish that stealth was a bit more refined. Sometimes I can run right past enemies and they won't even notice, but other times they'll somehow see me through a wall.

I'm also not a fan of having to hold down a button to collect sen and items from defeated enemies. A minor nitpick, but still.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Love the setting and the atmosphere, but I'm not sure I have the patience to keep banging my head against the difficulty. Its far harder than any of the Souls games and requires twitchy, reaction-based gameplay that isn't really my forte. I'm sure if I persist, I'll eventually "git gud", but I really can't be bothered to invest the time and effort it'll take to get there because I'm just not having that much fun and I'm getting a bit irritated by the repetition already. I'm still reasonably early in the game, and the lack of healing items and unforgiving nature of the combat is wearing me down. Its so punishing, and I'm not really looking to be punished, so I'm not sure I'll stick it out.

For all the undeniably cool things about Sekiro, I do think the balance is poor. I'm not convinced making the opening so unforgiving is the right move. So far I've not felt a sense of accomplishment when I've finally beaten a tough enemy. It more a case of "thank fuck that is over" and then "here we go again" when the next one appears straight afterwards.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay.

Where is this information at? I genuinely feel like I blacked out some early part of the game because I literally didn't know any of this.
The first and third point are most definetly somewhere in the turorial or at least in the tips section during loading screens. Same with the fact that your posture regenarates equally slower the less health you have, and the fact that holding block regenerates it faster.

The second point is just basic observation. The harder an enemy hits the more posture damage it does when only blocking instead of parrying, so if you're already at half meter and block an especially heavy hit like from Owl or the Corrupted Monk for example, it can easily happen that you immediately get staggered.

Overheads (with long windups most of the time) pin you to the ground when not blocked.

Jun 26, 2018
Dear goodness :^O

Im gpnna play DS1 for the first time and then try sekiro in a few months, i thought DS3 and BB had alright difficulty despite being challenging at times but i keep hearing sekiro is too much even for veterans

It's not really more difficult in my opinion, it's just different and with less cheese, so some veterans might be having trouble breaking with the souls habits that have built up over 5 games.

Oct 29, 2017
https://kotaku.com/sekiro-is-way-better-when-you-stop-playing-it-like-a-so-1833545053

This says it all.

On the other hand it is really ironic to see souls fans complain about difficulty here.

If only I knew how to spell git gud in kanji, lol!

I was just thinking about it in this way, yeah. I'm only a few hours in, and have just hit a particularly challenging boss battle (so my current plan is to grind out some skill points and search for more shinobi arm tools), but it already feels so different from a souls game. Like, it still has a familiar feel (like BB did). The sound effects and music all sound like they came from a From game. The cutscenes, atmosphere, etc all feel From. But there's an uncanny valley here that differentiates it completely from their past games of this ilk. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing, but coming at it from a completely new angle does help the game stand out on its own rather than being constantly compared to the past games.

There are some changes I am disappointed in as a long time souls player, at this point. But even still its a quality game, and I'm looking forward to completing it.

Jan 11, 2018
I disagree. I should note that the RPG aspects were never my favorite part of Soulsborne (and one of the reasons I prefer BB over DS). For me, as an action fan, it will be hard to go back to Soulsborne, as it will feel like wading through quicksand in comparison. I love the fast movement, the grappling hook traversal, the jump button, the more vertical level design and the combat focus. It's a fucking awesome videogame and has further cemented From as the best developer in gaming right now.

Replay value for me is how much fun it is now play, not a variety of builds. I've completed three playthroughs of BB with the same weapon.

I agree with all of this other than liking BB more. Im not finished with it yet but Im already wishing for a sequel, even more than BB 2.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Not falling in love with it immediately like I did Bloodborne and the Souls games. I blazed through Bloodborne and that was an easy Plat.

The lack of character progression in this just really sucks the life out of it for me and I don't have that "I can't stop playing" feeling I had with every single Soulsborne game.

It could really use Difficulty settings or something for those who don't like Naked-Souls.

And I fucking hate the extra kick in the balls that is the Dragonrot mechanic.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
It's a completely different kind of game. Really impressed with how different it feels too. The gameplay is the best of the bunch by far, and I've loved what I've seen so far. Such an uncompromising game, and that's why it's great.

Fromsoftware has always dealt with the typical whiners, and cry babies over their challenge in their games. I love how challenging it is. The game demands nothing but respect from the player, and gives it in return.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I was shocked how little I liked it. The Soulsborne games have been, by a long way, my favourite series of the last ten years. I kind of just blindly presumed I'd be really into Sekiro. I think it's really dull. I think having to clear out fodder every time to fight the interesting encounters is total bullshit, and the lack of RPG stuff really cripples my desire to explore the levels. I feel massively over powered for normal enemies, and woefully inept at meaningful ones, I think the difficulty is entirely out of whack for me, and I think it's boring to look at.

Bloodborne is the best action game I've ever played, I binned Sekiro after like four hours.

Gestahl

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
A lot of it feels unrefined and limited. Like the giraffe guy, you just mash lb/l1 and tap the attack button when his posture breaks. Or the snap seeds that are completely useless in the fight they're meant for because of their bad radius and the fight's mechanics. A bunch of skills in the tree feel like they should have just been part of the default set or at least early 1 point skills. The stealth is a mess and a lot of mob encounters can be solved by spamming attack. Being able to only equip one skill at a time is also incredibly awkward after coming off DMC5

Mar 29, 2018
I was shocked how little I liked it. The Soulsborne games have been, by a long way, my favourite series of the last ten years. I kind of just blindly presumed I'd be really into Sekiro. I think it's really dull. I think having to clear out fodder every time to fight the interesting encounters is total bullshit, and the lack of RPG stuff really cripples my desire to explore the levels. I feel massively over powered for normal enemies, and woefully inept at meaningful ones, I think the difficulty is entirely out of whack for me, and I think it's boring to look at.

Bloodborne is the best action game I've ever played, I binned Sekiro after like four hours.
There's a lot more RPG stuff than you think, but it opens up branch after branch the more you progress. I'm at 25 hours and just three hours ago a whole new set of things opened up to me, it now feels a lot more like an RPG - although the lack of fashion is still v disappointing.

It really just keeps opening up and up the more you play - 4 hours is nothing. Almost like binning Dark Souls at the Firelink Shrine.

There are only 2 or 3 minibosses you HAVE to clear out the normal enemies for btw, and zero main bosses require this. A couple of other minibosses have goons nearby but with a touch of exploration you can get past them all in seconds

Pity you think it's boring to look at, but rest assured some of the later parts absolutely rival Bloodborne's best, imo. Sekiro is a vast, vast game

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017

The bolded is exactly why I'm finding the repetition more tedious in this than I do in the Souls games, and why I find this such an irritating game. I feel like its wasting my time. I'm not learning anything fighting the mobs, and ignoring them isn't an option.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I love it so far. Possibly my favorite on top of Bloodborne. I just really like these games that change enough of the Souls formula I really hope one or both of them can get sequels because I vastly prefer them to the Souls games. I really like the more focused approach of Sekiro, not having to manage stats and gear much. Bloodborne also because it was a little simpler and the trick weapons were great and lowered the number of different weapons.
Mostly because I love amazing environments and Bloodborne and Sekiro are the absolute best to me. Not like the Souls games don't have great locations but the art styles and themes of the other 2 are way more to my liking.

Fantastic game.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
There's a lot more RPG stuff than you think, but it opens up branch after branch the more you progress. I'm at 25 hours and just three hours ago a whole new set of things opened up to me, it now feels a lot more like an RPG - although the lack of fashion is still v disappointing.

It really just keeps opening up and up the more you play - 4 hours is nothing. Almost like binning Dark Souls at the Firelink Shrine.

There are only 2 or 3 minibosses you HAVE to clear out the normal enemies for btw, and zero main bosses require this. A couple of other minibosses have goons nearby but with a touch of exploration you can get past them all in seconds

Pity you think it's boring to look at, but rest assured some of the later parts absolutely rival Bloodborne's best, imo. Sekiro is a vast, vast game
Firelink Shrine is half an hour into DkS1, so are you implying Sekiro is eight times the length? Because, it isn't. Moreover, whilst I understand the sentiment, I like Dark Souls from the start. Even if after six hours I would have liked Sekiro, that's absurd to me, I'm not going to force myself through something I am not enjoying in the hope I will at some point. Imagine if I didn't at any point, and I just have a horrible fifty hours?

I'm not saying the game isn't great, I've no doubt many people truly love it and see it as of great value. I do not, and that's okay. Not all games are for all people.

In some ways, it may be my own fault for going on media blackout. Maybe I would have held off if I'd have known what it actually was.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a long way off compleating the game and unlikely to do so any time soon with my schedule at the moment. But here are a few of my thoughts.

I much prefer the combat over other FS games, I'd only really put Nioh, NG and DMC5/4 above it from a combat mechanics point of view. Encounters feel far more refined and a lot more fun because of that. Still quite a lot of jank in there but far better than the souls games in that regard.

Really enjoying the twist on a Japanese setting, doesn't feel derivative at all. Made me really want FS to do a new Souls-like set in ancient China.

Really like the pace of the game. Lots to keep you busy without the busywork. Streamlined if you want it to be. Loads of action. Loads of stealth. Lots of jumping around and exploring everywhere. So many secrets.

Found the prosthetics to be a bit disappointing so far. They just aren't that fun and slow the pace of combat down. Besides experimentation I've found them useless except for shield and hat enemies so far.

Easily my favourite ninja game but too early for me to say anything else.

Last edited:

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I didn't immediately love it like Bloodborne/DS3. It took a bit to find the right groove, but now I'm really into it. I appreciate the twists on the traditional formula and changing up the battle flow.

Mar 29, 2018
I'm not very far at the moment (I think I'm about to fight the first real boss?). I'm not fully sold on it yet, but it also hasn't "clicked" with me yet so it's hard to say.

I notably really like the level design. Grappling is super fun and the levels are definitely built to use all the skills you have access to in order to gain a leg up on your enemy, shinobi style. The stealth aspect is definitely weak, but it does function, at least.

Not really sold on the combat and enemy encounter design so far though. The combat trends towards being hyper aggressive and does a decent attempt at melding offense with defense, but I feel like it doesn't fully get it right. Deflecting feels a bit wonky and switching from offense to defense isn't as fluid as it is in Platinum's offerings, but I think that's due to a) me not fully understanding how the inputs work, and b) how animation cancelling works in Sekiro. I'm also not a huge fan of the thrust/sweep/grab system because the death kanji isn't a particularly good tell; your eyes are immediately drawn to the big red kanji character when you're actually supposed to pay attention to the animation (which can also be obscured by said kanji), so it's really hard to get a good grasp on what the attack is going to be before you get hit by it. If you're against an enemy with multiple attack types, countering them feels like a guessing game instead of something in your control. If From wanted to properly signpost those attacks, they'd either color-code the kanji character to each type of attack, or remove the kanji entirely and replace it with something that doesn't take away/distract from the enemy's animation (e.g. an aura and/or very distinct sound effects). The latter would probably be preferred.

In regards to encounter design, the game really emphasizes stealth 'n' run/hide over direct confrontation because of how many enemies you have to deal with vs. how easily you die in regular combat, which wouldn't be a bad idea if more thought was put into the stealth, and if enemies reacted differently to the world around them (mainly they don't bat an eye when they see a dead body lying on the ground, but sometimes can be totally clairvoyant regardless of your attempts to be stealthy). This is especially true of mini-boss encounters, where they have a boatload of posture yet can two-shot you no problem because you have the health bar of a twig with very few uses of the healing gourd, so you always want to stealth away a health bar so that you deal with the frustration of actually fighting it for less time. I haven't really felt satisfied beating any of the mini-bosses yet since it felt like I wasn't beating them with skill, but by getting some lucky deflects. One of the encounters I just did was notably really tedious since I had to stealth through a ton of enemies just to fight the mini-boss 1-on-1, but I kept dying to the mini-boss so I had to constantly stealth through the same throng of enemies over and over, which was just a massive waste of time.

Also, Dragonrot is a 100% garbage mechanic and I will not be convinced otherwise. The game already punishes the player really hard for dying via permanent losses of SP/money (unlike in the Souls games where you could retrieve lost Souls unless you died before retrieving them), so Dragonrot is just FromSoft's way of kicking the player while they're down. It should never have been put into the game.

I do want to keep going to see if the combat ends up clicking after a while like blocking in Metal Gear Rising did, but we'll see.
Agreed 110%.

After falling to a difficult boss or encounter numerous times, the game telling me that someone else now has Dragonrot because of my failures is not something I need or want to see - especially after Unseen Aid being such a rarity - that I lose everything after about 20 minutes of this attrition. I then have to go farming after I beat said battle to recover all the Sen, XP and items that I lost.

Dragonrot honestly barely changes the game. It's essentially nothing. Also you'll die 1/10th as much after the first 10 hours.

It's so ineffectual I actually feel it's one of the only poor design decisions in the game - not because of its presence but because it doesn't affect gameplay enough

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
My thoughts so far are that as a first experience, it's head and shoulders above any of the Souls games or Bloodborne. The game is incredible.

I have a feeling it may not hold up to multiple playthroughs quite as well being as it's an action game and does not have quite the build variety that an RPG like the Souls games have.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
It'll probably end up being the biggest disappointment of 2019 for me. The constant reliance on parrying is just too much for my chronically ill brain to keep up with. For once, difficulty levels would have been appreciated.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
It's bound to lead to a lot smug "git gud" bullshit from people who want to feel superior after too many "casuals" were able to beat the Souls games.

I'm at Ashina Castle right now (about 8 hours in), and it's hard as fuck. Those samurai in blue robes can kill me in two swift hits. I sometimes use up all my Healing Gourd on one of these guys. And bosses also kill me in 1-2 hits, so there's barely any difference between regular enemies and bosses.

Combat just feels too limiting. Maybe this will change somewhat, but right now I feel all I do is hit L1 to deflect and R1 to strike. And that's about it. It's a rhythm game that feels a bit repetitive. Sure, Dark Souls didn't have particularly complicated combat, but you could use different weapons to change things up a bit.

I've seen my fair share of "jidaigeki", so I know an overly complicated story that hits you with names left and right is not unusual for the genre. But most of the time I have no idea who or what the characters are referring to. And not in a mysterious Dark Souls way, but more in a "convoluted exposition" way.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm only about 5 hours in, but so far, I'm rather enjoying it. Combat's tough but exceptionally satisfying when you get the rhythm down. I'm already feeling a little annoyed that I can't change my weapon or armor, though, but I figured going in that would be my biggest issue - doubt that I'm going to complete Sekiro more than once or twice, which is quite different from my habits with Soulsborne titles.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
It's definitely more challenging. The combat feels very different yet somehow familiar. I'm probably little over halfway through the game. It's great but not my favorite souls-like game.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I went back to bloodborne...

I was having a blast with Sekiro, but hit a few difficulty walls that I didn't want to smash through yet. That and I love going Guts build (two hand ultra greatsword no shield/parry) in all the Soulsborne games, and not being able to do so is making me enjoy Sekiro less.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Divided, granted just did the opening/tutorial area but unless it is rather short I don't see myself enjoying a 1-combo action game without other weapons/builds and From levels of difficulty, which here I assume means enemies will eventually unleash a 7-hit combo you have to party hit bu hit a la Daigo.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's bound to lead to a lot smug "git gud" bullshit from people who want to feel superior after too many "casuals" were able to beat the Souls games.

I'm at Ashina Castle right now (about 8 hours in), and it's hard as fuck. Those samurai in blue robes can kill me in two swift hits. I sometimes use up all my Healing Gourd on one of these guys. And bosses also kill me in 1-2 hits, so there's barely any difference between regular enemies and bosses.

Combat just feels too limiting. Maybe this will change somewhat, but right now I feel all I do is hit L1 to deflect and R1 to strike. And that's about it. It's a rhythm game that feels a bit repetitive. Sure, Dark Souls didn't have particularly complicated combat, but you could use different weapons to change things up a bit.

I've seen my fair share of "jidaigeki", so I know an overly complicated story that hits you with names left and right is not unusual for the genre. But most of the time I have no idea who or what the characters are referring to. And not in a mysterious Dark Souls way, but more in a "convoluted exposition" way.
Those dudes shocked me when I first encountered them, couldn't believe how tough they were compared to what had come before. Just stand right in front of them take your finger completely off the left stick if you have too. Deflect their attacks, or wait for the kanji symbol (often the first thing they do) and just Miriki counter, it's really the only move they have. They are actually training you for an upcoming fight.

Also there are stealth options in that area, because facing more than one at a time can still be a pain, the ceiling is accessible. Good luck.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The chained ogre is prolly the most overrated thing in terms of difficutly that I've read on ERA.

He's not anything special.
Yep, thank you.
lmao at this 'git gud' horseshit. Thanks for the tips.
I was merely refuting your points that the challenge of unequal power between player and computer is somehow different here than in souls.

If you want advice idk what more i can give you then the game has. You have gone over everything you need to beat him at that point and in addition stopped the game for you as you approached and told you "kill this guy with fire, hes weak to fire".

Feb 21, 2019
I loved the battle flow immediately. Your mentality is so much different.

Its tied with Nioh (Nioh is effing brilliant...flat out...in terms of combat) as the best actual gameplay on these types of games.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The game has a great atmosphere and the movement is a lot of fun now that we can jump and grapple around.
My main problem is the difficulty. I just don't have the reaction time to be able to deflect or use the right move in the split second you get to avoid death. Enemies can hit hard and fast and you can die in an instant. Souls was hard but at least you could summon help from other players.

After hearing about the performance on Xbox One X, I sold the sealed copy and went with the PC version. Not only does it run perfect, but I can actually play the game now because I gave in and downloaded a trainer. Boosting my attack and health made the game a lot more fun for me.

Overall, it's too hard for me without cheats, but I think it's a great game and I'm happy with it.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I'm honestly not really digging it as much as I'd like.

While I can see the merits in the combat system, the parry based system just doesn't click with me. I like moving and dodging a lot more. Which I understand that this is necessary but the parry is even more so due to the posture system.

Some of the bosses are really weak. There are a few that ride mounts that while not being very difficult themselves, the camera in the small, confined areas they put them in are the hardest part of these fights. I know that not having to compensate for multiple builds and strategies allows From to make more focused encounters, but I miss the ability to try new and different things and there are limited ways to handle bosses as a result.

Death in this game, thus far, feels overly punishing. You lose so many resources upon death without any real way to get them back. Also the stacking of dragon rot, even when you don't revive, seems unnecessary. For a game that is about trial and error, they don't really give you any leeway.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
As a soul veteran, it's not Dark Souls and that's a good thing. It's an amazing game, but it's not a souls game and is instead a different beast with several similarities. Tough as nails, I love the combat and so far I can't put it down. The parry system could do some work, as it's possible to get through many encounters without using it. Which is odd as this is supposed to be a huge mechanic that needs to be used. Instead, it's there to make encounters easier, if you use it.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, thank you.

I was merely refuting your points that the challenge of unequal power between player and computer is somehow different here than in souls.

If you want advice idk what more i can give you then the game has. You have gone over everything you need to beat him at that point and in addition stopped the game for you as you approached and told you "kill this guy with fire, hes weak to fire".
My point was that the way in which the challenge is presented is different and that it doesn't incentivize me to get better at it because of it's seeming arbitrary nature; not that the game is tilted against the player (because obviously that's From's ethos).

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me it's not as good as any Dark Souls or Bloodborne.

Cons
- Scenarios lacks personality against any Souls. The art direction overall it's very weak.
- Combat it's good and fun, but I found it a little repetitive after my first walkthrough. Also there not so much potential besides new endings for NG+. The lack of builds and multiplayer really kills the replayability.
- I feel that combat it's not as rewarding like killing Ornstein and Smough, Midir, Gael, Fume Knight, Kalameet, Lothric, etc etc.
- Lack of builds/weapons/skins/fashion
- Enemies feel a little repetitive.
- And my worst fear: combat feels old after NG. The parry system it's fun but using it on EVERY combat feels weird. I want more options.
- Little sense of progression. The early game it's really punishing and I feel it will push away so many people to enjoy a good adventure.

Pros
- Exploration feels really good, I still got lost sometimes.
- More straight forward lore and story.
- More music.
- Human bosses. I love human bosses.

I've finished the game and now I'm in the middle of my second run. I'll probably gonna finish it again and never comeback since I feel that I've explored everything and tried every ability and prosthetic.
Overall it's a good game, but I will never recommend this game to anyone, at least if they REALLY love hard and frustrating games.
Now I'm going back to DS3 hehe.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Played all the others (i.e. DeS, DS1-3, BB) and I'm happy with how different it is, whilst retaining some of its aspects.

Hard as nails, though.

Last edited:

paradox85

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I've beaten DeS, DS1-3 and BB multiple times. I've platinumed them all.

So far, my feelings about Sekiro are pretty mixed. I'm about 10 hours in, and I've only beaten two "real" bosses (the horse guy and Lady Butterfly).

The game is HARD. It's easily harder than any of the soulsborne games. Maybe a little too hard for me, I feel. Am I having fun playing it? Well, sometimes yes, but most of the time I just feel frustrated as hell. Especially when fighting against the bosses/minibosses. I disliked parrying in Souls games, almost never used it, and this game's battle system is all about that. I have shit reflexes. Also I feel the PS4 version has some input lag, and it isn't helping at all.

So far, I actually like the setting and exploring the world, and some of the stealth mechanics are pretty cool. There also seems to be more story/cutscenes than Souls games had, which is nice.

I will continue playing... but this might be the first From game that I won't beat.

Oct 29, 2017
"Too much pain, not enough profit" is pretty apt when describing this game imo.

• All prosthetics are almost useless and feel counterintuitive to the flow of the game.
  • Just a single weapon who only has a single combo, which means it limits you in your approach
  • All items that you can find are pretty useless. There is nothing rewarding to find, which makes exploring unfun and frustrating after a while.
  • Reused mini-bosses over and over again after a while, which makes the bosses feel vastly less unique
  • 3 or 4 phase bosses are utterly dumb game design - in every game, in particular, if the first is only busywork that adds nothing to the difficulty but drags the boss
  • Combat is just not fun. The focus on the parry bar makes the entire combat just not fun. You can beat most enemies by NOT ATTACKING... yay? Why is health even in this game, it's just a prerequisite to stagger them
  • Why do you have a stagger bar when it doesn't matter a tall and you get staggered by random hits anyway?
  • Mash L1.... brilliant game design... :X
  • 0 customization. Not even rings or something.
  • All active skills are almost useless. There is one that actually adds something - the somersault, wince you don't have a gap closer whatsoever otherwise.
  • ... and so much else.
I didn't enjoy it much. It had some moments and some bosses were fun to get through, but overall the game feels like a chore.

The fuck... are we playing the same game here? This is not accurate to my experience at all. Especially prosthetics being useless... you really need to experiment, they can be really useful against bosses.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
I love all From games. Dark Souls is my favorite but I got the platinums for Bloodborne and Demon's Souls and love the games as much. Sekiro is different, and I haven't it finished yet, but it might end up as my new favorite. I think it's an absolute masterpiece and while there are areas I don't like in the Soulsborne series, in Sekiro in 25h everything was perfectly designed.

Jul 20, 2018
I know the souls fans are hell bent against difficulty settings for some reason I don't understand, but I really wish the game would be accessible to more people. The combat feels amazing and the world design is best in class.

I had my fun with it but will take a break for now, it's getting too frustrating for me, not sure if I'll come back. Probably about 30% complete.

I always prefer a game presents you with its intended difficulty, but I do think there should be options to adjust it to your liking. The typical difficulty settings don't really work for me because it feels like the game is asking me how I want to experience it, instead of telling me how it's supposed to be experienced.

I like thinge like cheat codes, assist/relaxed modes. Where you know this isn't quite the intended experience but you can adjust it to your liking.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I am on the fence on Souls games needing difficulty, as it's a very intended experience, and you can always grind and/or summon if you get stuck. It makes a sometime painful difficulty manageable for most people, with determination and (occasionally) teamwork.

In Sekiro, you are on your own at all times. You can't grind, you can't call for help. It's just you, and a brick wall. Sekiro needs a difficulty setting.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
The fuck... are we playing the same game here? This is not accurate to my experience at all. Especially prosthetics being useless... you really need to experiment, they can be really useful against bosses.

My entire strategy to beat Genichiro was saving emblems for his last phase where I used Mist Raven at every unblockable attack. I'm convinced most people used other things to beat him.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still early. The general thought so far is it is too punishing for small mistakes. Starting with 1 healing charge is absurd. And the fact that you need to go through tough fights to get the items to upgrade health and healing charges etc defeats the purpose lol

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Combat just feels too limiting. Maybe this will change somewhat, but right now I feel all I do is hit L1 to deflect and R1 to strike. And that's about it. It's a rhythm game that feels a bit repetitive.

This is probably the best description of the combat I've seen. It is a rhythm game. It's less about learning movesets as it is about getting in the rhythm and executing things via muscle memory. Personally, I'm not to fond of that.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is probably the best description of the combat I've seen. It is a rhythm game. It's less about learning movesets as it is about getting in the rhythm and executing things via muscle memory. Personally, I'm not to fond of that.

This doesn't make any sense. You have to learn what enemies do in order to counter it.