• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one do you prefer?

• Souls

Votes: 448 48.7%
  • Soulsborne

Votes: 191 20.8%
  • Soulsboring

Votes: 281 30.5%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
You just went and done did it, didn't ya!?🤔😂
401157995062493196.webp

xD

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
My opinion is we stick with Soulsborne because the first two Souls games started this, Bloodborne is the best of the bunch, Elden Ring is Dark Souls 4, and Sekiro is dramatically different from all of them.

odlanorz

Oct 30, 2017
Souls is the correct answer.
Bloodborne is a Soulslike.
Sekiro is Soulslite.
Elden Ring is Souls of the wild.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Evergrace-like, more seriously though I normally just say Souls game. Used to call them FROM games pre Lords of the Fallen.

I wouldn't say Souls-like regarding a FROM game as it irks me the way people refer to Metroid as a Metroidvania last year. Not a serious irksome feeling just more of a "words continue to lose/change meaning" sorta way

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Souls or souls-like. Not supposed to be a serious thread, but I'm tired of seeing Bloodborne try to be more relevant than it actually is.

May 26, 2018
"Miyazakis" is what it's amounting to now. Miyazaki games have an explicit DNA.

Though I still call Runes/Bloodechoes "souls" — "shit, hope my souls are in a reasonable place"

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Yes it's always annoyed me. Seemed like desperation to prop Bloodborne up (which was a great game of course, but hardly needed to be grafted to the genre name)

Absolutely it does. Bloodborne is like the strange brother who left to join a cult then eventually escaped and returned a little kooky, but it's still very much a Souls game. And it's the best one!

It's fine to just use "Souls" but all 7 games, to a lesser extent Sekiro, are all terribly similar. No Soulslike from another company is anything like those, so I think they deserve their own name to sort of encompass this particular style of From game. My only thing is I do think Sekiro is very different.

Last edited:

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Souls or Soulsborne tbh.

I feel like Bloodborne should get a shout there because it's very different from the Souls games but also extremely similar in a lot of ways, whereas Sekiro feels much more different than Souls or Bloodborne despite also having much of the same DNA.

Elden Ring just straight up feels like Dark Souls 4 (or just a sequel to Dark Souls 2 SOTFS, the now second best one) in terms of pretty much everything but the name and lore, so I don't really feel like it should be included in the naming of the collection of From games.

Plus Souls and Soulsborne both roll off the tongue very well, that isn't really the case when adding Sekiro or Elden Ring to the mix, even if you did just Souls and Elden Ring it wouldn't flow as well as Soulsborne

Cookie Dough

Oct 29, 2017
The 'borne' part of Soulsborne doesn't make much sense any more, or rather it makes as much sense as something equally stupid like Soulsring or whatever.

Souls game when it's developed by From. Souls-like when it isn't.

I still find myself referring to runes in Elden Ring as souls. That panic when looking for the exact place you died and you dropped a bunch of runes, the line "where the fuck are my souls?!" just comes out.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay hear me out
"Soulsborne" made some sense with Dark Souls 3, because that game moved to be more like Bloodborne. From a gameplay standpoint it felt like a Souls with Bloodborne snappiness, so it was like you had Demons & Dark Souls 1/2 being more "Souls-like" and Bloodborne/3 being more "Bloodborne-like." Sekiro was a big departure that was really its own thing. It wasn't much of a Souls-like to begin with, it definitely didn't need the name thrown in the hat.

Elden Ring is definitely showing that "the series" seems to just be moving to faster paced battles in general. Soulsborne feels like it still has a use to describe the quicker and more aggressive style of the later games. But simply saying "Souls/Souls-like" has, and always will, work well enough.

MarinZero

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 26, 2022
Soulsborne ain't a thing. Bloodborne is a Souls game, and it's great for it. I'll forever call them Souls games.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Listen guys. Bloodborne gets in there even with only one game to its name, and not even a proper port, because it's just that damn good.

Sekiro doesn't fit because it doesn't fit. Elden Ring is Dark Souls 4.

Soulsborne.

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously with all the talk recently there might be people wanting to dip their toe in. But maybe not the latest games.

If anybody wants to have a try of Dark Souls Remastered (maybe you got it on a whim since its launch) and would like a helping hand at any point please let me know. It's a great game to co-op/just mess around in if you want to have a not-so-serious time but also have someone willing to assist.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I think Souls-like describes it well enough. It applies to Bloodborne and also Sekiro (despite some differences) and Elden Ring, and we'll as many games out there.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
There's a difference between Souls-games, Souls likes and Soulsborne games. Just on what you're referring to.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Demon's Souls sequels, or Soulslikes

Dark Souls = Demon's Souls 2
Dark Souls 2 = Demon's Souls 3
Bloodborne = Demon's Souls 4
Dark Souls 3 = Demon's Souls 5
Elden Ring = Demon's Souls 6

Sekiro is not a Demon's Souls game.

I've never touched any of these games in my life

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Even the OP left out Sekiro from the title because they knew trying to fit it into the title would be ridiculous.
To be honest, I don't think Sekiro fits into the "Souls/Soulsborne/Soulsboring" description. At least not for me. It borrows more than a few elements from them (and now Elden Ring from it), but when it's all said and done, I feel like Sekiro is going for something a bit more different compared to other recent From games.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
How long would 'Metroidvania' be after all these years if people had the same weird obsession with adding every notable example to the genre name?

It's just Souls or Souls-like.

Garulon

Jul 22, 2020
This makes my pretentious movie-crit brain cry

It'd be like calling horror movies "Frankendraculas"

Can't we call them "tactical fantasy combat" or something?

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
It's always gonna be Souls or Soulsborne.
Nobody is saying Crimson flasks, always Estus. And everyone still refers sites of grace as bonfire, it's just easier.

Just like it's never going to ne "Get Good" but always "Git Gud".