• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TotalMackerel

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else on Xbox not able to download Cassandra as part of their season's pass? I've gone to her individual page and it's stated that she's installed, but I can't actually download her without paying the individual purchase price.

I've heard of others with similar issues on Reddit and the MS forums, but not updates on potential fixes.

Love being punished because I spent more money upfront.

I'm having the issue as well :(

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
The site has some new art:
eq1g98dfqre31.jpg
Quite cute.
Thank you for this analysis. I've played her for most of the last evening and I'm still learning quite a bit. This will help for sure.
No problem, glad it was useful.

Went back to arcade mode to finally get the clear in under 7 minutes trophy, was much more manageable thanks to Cass. Though mirrors can be fun/informative every once in a while, it would be nice to see more people using other characters online aside from her to see how I fare with her against them. Perhaps in a week or two.

Oct 26, 2017

Some good info here. Each character will come with a parts pack. Are we caught up on SC4/5 stuff so we can expect actual new items? It also seems we will get stage variations (very much needed) and hopefully a brand new stage too. And finally there might be a new character entirely.

I actually would prefer a new character to basically any returning one. The actual newcomers in this game felt very isolated and exotic, since by design they only interact with your CAS. I'd like a new, grounded character who feels at home in the late 1500's.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Some good info here. Each character will come with a parts pack. Are we caught up on SC4/5 stuff so we can expect actual new items? It also seems we will get stage variations (very much needed) and hopefully a brand new stage too. And finally there might be a new character entirely.

I actually would prefer a new character to basically any returning one. The actual newcomers in this game felt very isolated and exotic, since by design they only interact with your CAS. I'd like a new, grounded character who feels at home in the late 1500's.
Going by Groh and Azwel, I very much doubt that this is what will happen.

While I wouldn't object to an additional new character who was interesting enough, given the fact that one of the four slots has already been taken by another guest, having only two reserved for veterans still missing would likely anger fans who had hoped for a second chance. I finally got everyone I wanted already though, so I don't have a dog in that fight.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah not sure what to think about 1 character possibly being new when 3 slots for veterans would certainly help getting in more characters people are hoping for but SC6 lacked a new female character so if one of those slots was for that I wouldn't be mad

as long as Setsuka is among the 2 vets

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County

Lol, the game was missing 300+ items from SCV before you even touch SCV's dlc. They've added fewer than a hundred of them last season. Some weird as hell part choices too. Oh, and I didn't count the SCIV outfits either when I came up with the 300 figure, just base-game SCV.

The new stuff that we've gotten hasn't been great if you ask me. Lots of weird bulbous armor without much texture.

Anyway, was there anything to imply that these parts packs are more than just legacy equipment for said character, as they've done with Amy and Cassandra?

As for new characters, I have the same expectation/opinion as I do of the new equipment. Groh and Azwel both feel out of place to me. They're fun to play, but visually, characteristically, and even story-wise they feel like a fan's OCs. I'm not optimistic about a brand new character given the track record. Plus I really want Aeon, a Korean sword user, Setsuka, and ideally Hilde at some point as well.

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, the game was missing 300+ items from SCV before you even touch SCV's dlc. They've added fewer than a hundred of them last season. Some weird as hell part choices too. Oh, and I didn't count the SCIV outfits either when I came up with the 300 figure, just base-game SCV.

The new stuff that we've gotten hasn't been great if you ask me. Lots of weird bulbous armor without much texture.

Anyway, was there anything to imply that these parts packs are more than just legacy equipment for said character, as they've done with Amy and Cassandra?

As for new characters, I have the same expectation/opinion as I do of the new equipment. Groh and Azwel both feel out of place to me. They're fun to play, but visually, characteristically, and even story-wise they feel like a fan's OCs. I'm not optimistic about a brand new character given the track record. Plus I really want Aeon, a Korean sword user, Setsuka, and ideally Hilde at some point as well.

It sounded like the packs would be unique parts, like the two packs we got already, so we'll get DLC 1-8 instead of 1-6. Except for 2B they didn't really talk about the "freebies" that came with each individual character in the first pass.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't know about that special GI brought up in the interview. Being able to GI unblockables and guard breaks seems like it misses the point of having those, regardless of special conditions applying to it.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, games on sale until the 20th with the Season Pass and I want to get it, but I don't have PS+. Does it have a meaty single player like SCII did on Gamecube?

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Hey all, games on sale until the 20th with the Season Pass and I want to get it, but I don't have PS+. Does it have a meaty single player like SCII did on Gamecube?

Pretty meaty, yeah. Not the highest in production value, but there's a lot there. You've got a story mode for every character (story is the focus here, not combat. One character doesn't even get any fights) and a long mode for your custom character with mild RPG elements such as leveling up and weapon loot.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty meaty, yeah. Not the highest in production value, but there's a lot there. You've got a story mode for every character (story is the focus here, not combat. One character doesn't even get any fights) and a long mode for your custom character with mild RPG elements such as leveling up and weapon loot.

So nothing like that RPG thing from SCII?

Well that's fine I guess. Will probably get it.

Though if Hwang were announced I definitely would.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine

Going by Groh and Azwel, I very much doubt that this is what will happen.

I appreciate Azwel's design as Soul Calibur's take on an Evil Sorceror. He's Necrid done right and distinct enough from Algol in how they fight.

Groh though... if his storyline was that he was a member of Neo-Tokyo's Time Police come to destroy Soul Edge to preserve his future there'd need to be 0 change in his design. Like, his story about belonging to a secret brotherhood descended from King Arthur's Knights of the Round table is super fitting, but everything about the actual design of his organization seems about 400 years off from SC's actual setting.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Azwell is the most entertaining character introduced in the series since Raphael. I love his dorky antics dearly.
The main difference with Raphael is that I'm laughing with him, not at him.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Cass is out. No date for S2. Since Haohmaru is listed as the 2nd character and they didn't reveal the 1st yet unfortunately I think S2 is still quite a bit away. Honestly would't expect it before like November
Even that seems optimistic, given that Cass took them five months after Amy. I'm thinking January or February.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
Not directly related to SC6, but I figure I can post this here:

These are the alternate Critical Finishes in SC4. You only get these variants when fighting Yoda. These alternate CFs are generic for the most part, but still interesting to see.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Really impressed with how Cassandra has turned out. I am honestly pretty overjoyed about the future of this game too. Glad Namco was willing to give it another year, the game seriously needed it.

Haohmaru is such an inspired choice too. I am seriously so thankful SCVI's guests have all been stellar additions. Especially compared to Tekken 7.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I got this game yesterday and wow I love the combat. Between this and tekken, I am happy with fighting games.

I got MK11 because I always liked but I'm a 3D fighting guy

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
I've been able to spend more time playing as Cassandra, and I'm really happy with her. She seemed initially very overwhelming, but the more I play her, the more I realize she isn't actually that different from in SC4. It's basically SC4 Cass + with some crazy new options.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Matched with an A-rank Xianghua and a B-rank Siegfried... yeah, still SCVI matchmaking being SCVI matchmaking (and by that, I of course mean utter garbage).

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Matched with an A-rank Xianghua and a B-rank Siegfried... yeah, still SCVI matchmaking being SCVI matchmaking (and by that, I of course mean utter garbage).

I keep telling myself that maybe the next time I get back into the game the matchmaking will be fixed. Maybe I should wait till SCVII.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Woah after playing this, this may be my favorite fighting game. The combat is so satisfying

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
How do you even fight Yoshimitsu? If he gets going your basically dead. Like there is no way to actually make a come back. He's constantly doing mix up and holds some of his attacks just long enough to throw you off.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Cassandra mirrors are so goddamn frustrating, even more so when they're damn near all I get should I pick her.

Any Tira matchup is annoying, but that's what happens when having to fight a character almost no one uses while the people who do use her scurry away after getting a single win.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Thinking of picking this up in the sale...worth getting the deluxe edition or no?

I'm not that great at fighting games so may not play online that much. Is this quite beginner friendly?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of picking this up in the sale...worth getting the deluxe edition or no?

I'm not that great at fighting games so may not play online that much. Is this quite beginner friendly?
Though it hides its tutorial in the Libra of Soul single-player mode, it's fairly easy to learn with a wide variety of playstyles.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Thank god this game has endless rematches on ranked. Just spent like 45 minutes fighting the same person :P. I get that they do it for the loading times, but I wish there was a setting to change the map on ranked every time.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I really, truly despise Cassandra mirrors, but if nothing else, they're useful for getting a better idea of the weaknesses in my own gameplan.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
More talking to myself...

Tiras continue to be spineless one-and-dones more often than not, and apparently I got my first rage quit in this game, one against yet another Cassandra (wasn't a mirror this time though, used Talim).

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
Got a month of PS+ so I played ranked on PS4 for the first time (usually only play on PC). It's a pretty stark difference playing on the two platforms.

The netcode feels the same on both platforms, but PS4 has high inherent input which affects the entire game. Even the menus feel laggy compared to the PC version.

On the upside, matchmaking on the PS4 version is very fast. I usually have to wait minutes to find a single match on PC, but it's rather quick on PS4 (I'd say less than a minute). No one likes to rematch on PS4, though. Not a single player I fought clicked the rematch button. I dunno if that's because people prefer to fight different people (and matchmaking is fast enough to make that viable) or because no one wants to fight someone with no rank. On PC, people rematch all the time (probably mostly because the matchmaking times are so darn long).

I really wish the PC version had a larger player base. It's small enough that I've had a match where I randomly got a "GG" message on Discord because the guy I fought is in the same SC Discord server as me.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
After playing a bit on PS4, I got curious what the input lag difference is compared to PC, as even the menus in the PS4 version feel laggier than on PC.

Short answer: Looks like it's 3 frames slower on PS4 (aka 50 ms). Which is pretty significant, especially with the overall input lag being 90ms (as measured by https://twitter.com/WydD/status/1052836115017854976).

Long answer...

Since the method relied on recording footage of both versions at the same time, I decided to compare loading times too for the heck of it.

Loading times:
Title screen to main menu on PC: 7.4 seconds
Title screen to main menu on PS4: 17.1 seconds (that network thingie takes its sweet time)

Main menu to character select on PC: 6.8 seconds
Main menu to character select on PS4: 11 seconds

Stage select to ingame on PC: 14.4 seconds
Stage select to ingame on PS4: 20.6 seconds

Average input delay difference: 3 frames slower on PS4 (aka 50 milliseconds slower)

I don't have an easy way to test the total input delay on a specific platform, but WydD on twitter tested the total input delay for the PS4 as being 90.4ms at launch.

Here's the PC I used for the test: i7-4790k, gtx 1080, 16gb ram, Win 7 64-bit, SC6 installed to an SSD

The PS4 is a PS4 Pro with a stock harddrive and I used an Intensity Pro 4K with PtBi to capture the PS4 footage. This capture card has an extremely low amount of capture latency. The lag with the capture card is less than 1 frame based on my tests (I had PS4 running with an HDMI splitter leading to capture card and a monitor, and they both showed the same frame in a 60fps game).

I did the input test by having two PS4 controllers connected to the PC and PS4 (wired to PC, wireless to PS4) and then trying to press the same button at the same time (I did this many times and got the average, which should be a good indicator for what the actual difference is).

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
I don't have a PS4 with SSD so that's not something I can easily test. But I quickly installed SC6 to an HDD (5400 rpm) on my PC to compare the loading times:

Title screen to main menu on PC with SSD: 7.4 seconds
Title screen to main menu on PC with HDD: 7.4 seconds
Title screen to main menu on PS4: 17.1 seconds (that network thingie takes its sweet time)

Main menu to character select on PC with SSD: 6.8 seconds
Main menu to character select on PC with HDD: 6.5 seconds

Stage select to ingame on PC with SSD: 14.4 seconds
Stage select to ingame on PC with HDD: 16.9 seconds

Disk read speed doesn't actually make a big difference. The bottleneck must be the CPU decompressing assets.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I hope we get a new Soul Calibur next gen. I love the animation in Soul Calibur for the most part, but I think the actual character models could use some work.

I was looking at the MK11 models recently with more attention. They are really nice.

Man, if SC could have those high quality models along with their already awesome animation. Good lord! haha.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope we get a new Soul Calibur next gen. I love the animation in Soul Calibur for the most part, but I think the actual character models could use some work.
I was looking at the MK11 models recently with more attention. They are really nice.
Man, if SC could have those high quality models along with their already awesome animation. Good lord! haha.
Soulcalibur 4 was 2008, and we're still recycling bits and pieces from that one. The way Bamco is treating the series, it's ever going to approach MK11.

Aug 26, 2018
日本
I don't have a PS4 with SSD so that's not something I can easily test. But I quickly installed SC6 to an HDD (5400 rpm) on my PC to compare the loading times:

Title screen to main menu on PC with SSD: 7.4 seconds
Title screen to main menu on PC with HDD: 7.4 seconds

Main menu to character select on PC with SSD: 6.8 seconds
Main menu to character select on PC with HDD: 6.5 seconds

Stage select to ingame on PC with SSD: 14.4 seconds
Stage select to ingame on PC with HDD: 16.9 seconds

Disk read speed doesn't actually make a big difference. The bottleneck must be the CPU decompressing assets.
giphy.gif