• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
How exactly do I unlock Raphael's true ending in Libra? I think I unlocked Zasalamel but I haven't even seen Raphael after like 12 hours on this thing.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to be a jerk and customize my Seong Mina in ranked.

w2Pe4ca.jpg

dcEzQ6o.jpg

cK2rzMm.jpg

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Finally beat Libra of Souls. It had its moments but after a while it just stops being fun with all the super powered always soul charged enemies or other annoying conditions. There's no way I'm doing this a second time for the other ending. Groh continues to be one of the best characters though. And at least it was worth it to unlock Raphael's true ending.

It looks like they're setting up Raphael to be the villain in the next game, if there is one. Or at least the one to set things in motion. Azwel being alive was a nice twist too because he's fucking great. I hope they don't bring back Algol though. Fuck that guy.

oryx_callotis

Jun 6, 2018
So is there anything you can do that is reliable when you are getting poked to death? I mean something that doesn't have a tiny margin for error like GI and Reversal Edge that gets countered after the first couple times you use it.

I am talking about when you are at point blank range and your opponent keeps throwing out random moves that beat everything you do.

Jab doesn't exist in this game so I have no idea what I am supposed to use to punish people when they do something that seems unsafe.

I like Soul Calibur but this situation crops up so often and it pisses me off whenever it happens. This constant start and stop where you are both standing in front of each other and you get slowly poked to death and can't do anything because anything you do no matter the move gets poked.

2a is typically a universal fast normal, equivalent of a jab. There are also gong to be others for each character. I think Seong has a just frame 1bk or 3bk which is a very fast kick that knocks people quite a ways back.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
No one else who isn't currently playable (though some are AI-only):
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_MITSURUGI
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_MINA
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_TAKI
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_MAXI
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_VOLDO
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_SOPHITIA
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_SIEG
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_IVY
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_KILIK
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_XIANGHUA
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_YOSHIMITSU
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_NIGHTMARE
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_ASTAROTH
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_CERVANTES
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_RAPHAEL
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_TALIM
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_TIRA
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_ZASALAMEL
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_YOSHIMITSU2
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_GROH
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_AZWEL
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_GERALT
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_LESSER_LIZARDMAN
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_EVIL_KILIK
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_EVIL_GROH
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_BOSS_AZWEL
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_INFERNO
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_EDGEMASTER

I tried to access Edge Master's style, but it just makes the character use Mitsurugi's style every time.

Oct 27, 2017
The moment I saw a wizards coat I knew I had to make a Dr. Strange CaS with Azwels moveset. I can't post pics atm but the result is glorious.

Santos

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Hey guys, any lengthy youtube guides for beginners that you recommend? Just got the game but since I'm new to fighting games I'm feeling completely lost and overwhelmed.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
So is there anything you can do that is reliable when you are getting poked to death? I mean something that doesn't have a tiny margin for error like GI and Reversal Edge that gets countered after the first couple times you use it.

I am talking about when you are at point blank range and your opponent keeps throwing out random moves that beat everything you do.

Jab doesn't exist in this game so I have no idea what I am supposed to use to punish people when they do something that seems unsafe.

I like Soul Calibur but this situation crops up so often and it pisses me off whenever it happens. This constant start and stop where you are both standing in front of each other and you get slowly poked to death and can't do anything because anything you do no matter the move gets poked.

Most low attacks, especially fast ones, are negative on hit. If you get hit with a low attack (an actual low, not a 2A), it's generally your turn to attack. It's really a matter of knowing frame data, or at least what attacks are adv and disadv. Once you block an attack that isn't adv on block, it's your turn and you can usually at least 2A.

Also, the defensive tools in this game are better than almost any previous SC. Between RE and GI, it's pretty easy to get out of offensive pressure. It's just a matter of not abusing those mechanics so it's harder for an opponent to punish you for it.

Meh.

I feel like I'm wasting my time when I'm not fighting with Ivy (my highest rank by a huge margin).

So when you start a new character, you'd rather have them start at the highest rank and just mount up losses, dropping your overall rank? No thank you.

Defense is hard in this game. Harder than other fighting games I think. Due to how fast lows can be and how defending low and blocking high for overheads isn't a thing in this.

You can try throwing out Guard Impact and use Reversal Edge. Those can sometimes give you a chance.

That and figuring out which moves of yours are the hardest to block and doing them one after another. I can get perfects sometimes as Azwel because I go through a mental list of moves that usually get people online. Like 9A on their wakeup which looks like a high attack but actually hits low but then goes into 3AA which puts them on the ground then I follow up with BK (axe mode) which gets me the muscle buster if they tried to get up before it hits them.

In other words, knock them down, abuse lows on wakeup. Against characters like Mina and Ivy it's a matter of blocking their shit and getting in or getting close enough (mid range for most characters) to tag them with your attack that has the longest range.

Those match ups are easier for me though since Azwel has attacks that can hit from full screen away so I don't really have to play their game the same way other characters have to.

I think this game has stronger defensive options than most other fighting games, especially 3D fighters. Azwel is 100% offense, and he can be difficult if the opponent knows how to use RE and GI well. There are just a lot of tools to get out of stuff or interrupt stuff.

I haven't had too many issues though. It's easy to bait some of the defensive responses, but against better players it can be more difficult. Nightmare is an especially difficult match for Azwel because of his armor stuff and Azwel not having good stand alone low attacks to blow that up.

B+K in Ax is a good low (super unsafe though), but 9A will be blocked on reaction against anyone good. I usually only use it to jump over low attacks, or when it's guaranteed in a combo.

What rank are you? I'm E2 at the moment.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I'm locked out of online, the game can't connect to the server. France, PS4. Anybody with the same issue? It was fine an hour ago.

EDIT : aaaand it's back. Forget about it. And fuck rank E/D Ivy, how do you even get close to her?

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Only Lizardman, but his moveset is incomplete, has many blank inputs (i think 4B and 4K have no attacks at all for example), and his CE (which is still Sophie's) has no hitbox.

No one else who isn't currently playable (though some are AI-only):
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_MITSURUGI
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_MINA
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_TAKI
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_MAXI
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_VOLDO
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_SOPHITIA
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_SIEG
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_IVY
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_KILIK
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_XIANGHUA
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_YOSHIMITSU
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_NIGHTMARE
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_ASTAROTH
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_CERVANTES
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_RAPHAEL
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_TALIM
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_TIRA
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_ZASALAMEL
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_YOSHIMITSU2
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_GROH
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_AZWEL
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_GERALT
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_LESSER_LIZARDMAN
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_EVIL_KILIK
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_EVIL_GROH
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_BOSS_AZWEL
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_INFERNO
ELuxFightStyle::EFS_EDGEMASTER

I tried to access Edge Master's style, but it just makes the character use Mitsurugi's style every time.
Haha, too bad. Guess japanese devs are finally catching on to data mining.

Jan 11, 2018
By the way, what's the deal with this series and underwhelming box art? I love the Japanese box art for Soul Edge, but it's been a downhill ride ever since imo.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I can't tell if it's that or if they haven't started working on DLC characters yet. The SC1 music DLC is in plain sight, so I'm leaning towards the latter.
It's possible they just don't care about concealing music dlc. (As an aside, I'm happy to have it confirmed).

I think, considering how long it takes to make a character, it's unlikely they haven't started. Unless, god forbid, they want to sell lizardman as the second season pass character. Okubo also said a while ago that they were currently working on the CaS packs, and those aren't scheduled to release until after the second dlc character.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Man learning Xianghua is pretty overwhelming, even watching that Kayane video. She has so many options and I can only memorize so many. Because I would stick to only a few of them, my Leixia became kinda predictable in 5.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Another reason why the ranking system isn't that great.

I'm rank 9 for Azwel. Every single player in the top 10 (other than me) has roughly 100+ more wins than I do. That means they have a ton more losses as well since I'm less than 2k points behind #1. The player right under me at #10 has 300 more wins than I do lol.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Finally beat Libra of Souls. It had its moments but after a while it just stops being fun with all the super powered always soul charged enemies or other annoying conditions. There's no way I'm doing this a second time for the other ending. Groh continues to be one of the best characters though. And at least it was worth it to unlock Raphael's true ending.

It looks like they're setting up Raphael to be the villain in the next game, if there is one. Or at least the one to set things in motion. Azwel being alive was a nice twist too because he's fucking great. I hope they don't bring back Algol though. Fuck that guy.
You can bust out the second ending in ~2.5 hours from start to finish if you only do story battles and skip all dialogue. I did it with the Nightmare moveset in picture-in-picture (or you can stop before beating the final boss, save, complete it, then reload your save and do astral fissures to flip your alignment, then complete the final boss again for the second ending).

Got the platinum. Now will just pop in occasionally for ranked fun.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Another reason why the ranking system isn't that great.

I'm rank 9 for Azwel. Every single player in the top 10 (other than me) has roughly 100+ more wins than I do. That means they have a ton more losses as well since I'm less than 2k points behind #1. The player right under me at #10 has 300 more wins than I do lol.

I like it, keeps stress low. Tekken gets me all tilty and mad, here there's no stakes so you can just chill!

valeo

Oct 27, 2017
Everytime I vs a Sophitia I get absolutely trashed. I can't seem to get out of the High/Low guessing game and actually impose my game on them. It's a nightmare. Any tips?

I play Yoshi exclusively. Sometimes I'll manage to get in and not let up, and win a round, but have never beaten a Sophitia over 3 rounds.

I like it, keeps stress low. Tekken gets me all tilty and mad, here there's no stakes so you can just chill!

Agreed. I love it. When I accidentally flip off the edge and ring myself out to lose the game, I don't rage - I just laugh. That's how it should be.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, what's the deal with this series and underwhelming box art? I love the Japanese box art for Soul Edge, but it's been a downhill ride ever since imo.

Especially when the Kawano promotional art always looks so good.

I guess it makes sense considering the branding - you need the guest characters in focus, you need to show it's a 3D fighting game. A beautifully drawn cover would probably hurt sales by making people think it's some sort of JRPG, renders of Geralt vs. Yoda show you what you're getting.

Oct 25, 2017
Pro tip to everybody here: Back up your saves before fucking with Cheat Engine.

Tried to get max SP because I was sick of not being able to DL characters from missing a part or two and I ended up corrupting my save and all 30 hours of progress I've made so far. Now, I'm not that upset about it because all I've really done so far was beat the main story and a few characters and make one or two CaS (one of which I wrote down the formula to because i took her from LoS), but losing some of my friends favorite DLd CaS like Shrek and all 3 Pillar Men is a big oof and will really annoy me if i can't find more online.

Also the Character Sharing system is an absolute piece of burning garbage and may as well not exist. Leaving for 2 minutes to buy a CaS part and not being able to find a character again will always be beyond stupid.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Speaking of Xhianghua, a good tip for people that are trying to pick her up is that online, a lot, a lot of players online don't react to 66BB with the break attack.

If you have the meter it's a free CE every time they try to block, have yet to experiment a bit further with what other opportunities this might give you.

Of course, if they do you're fucked since I've seen it leads to LH sometimes.

Honestly mashing is just step one, then you practice how to make that one cool move you pulled off on command and then it's about when's the best time to use it.

I think SC is the most accesible fighting game to try this out, even recent games like DBZF with the auto combos doesn't feel as welcoming as SC.

Oh I get that. I just don't know what stuff like 66BB and stuff like means. So when I'm reading the advice in the thread I just don't get what it means.

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
Oh I get that. I just don't know what stuff like 66BB and stuff like means. So when I'm reading the advice in the thread I just don't get what it means.

It's the numpad notation, so look at your numpad and see where the 6 is located. Always assume you're on the player 1 side when looking. So 66 would be forward, forward and BB would be... well... whatever you have B set to. So tap forward twice then press B twice.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
It's the numpad notation, so look at your numpad and see where the 6 is located. Always assume you're on the player 1 side when looking. So 66 would be forward, forward and BB would be... well... whatever you have B set to. So tap forward twice then press B twice.

Ooooooooooo

Gods that makes so much sense. How did I not realize that.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Played some matches against Wolfkrone and my friend wanted me to upload it so I thought I'd share here too if anyone wants to check out Geralt or Azwel.

Why not just play casual matches then? I mean in this game there isn't a good option for that besides rooms, but if rank stresses you out, just play casual.

Everytime I vs a Sophitia I get absolutely trashed. I can't seem to get out of the High/Low guessing game and actually impose my game on them. It's a nightmare. Any tips?

I play Yoshi exclusively. Sometimes I'll manage to get in and not let up, and win a round, but have never beaten a Sophitia over 3 rounds.

Agreed. I love it. When I accidentally flip off the edge and ring myself out to lose the game, I don't rage - I just laugh. That's how it should be.

Sophie is kind of dumb. She has a lot of attacks that tech crouch, she has good natural combos, and many of her attacks space perfectly to set her up for whiff punishing if you push a button after blocking. She's also a super easy character for novice players to pick up and actually be somewhat decent with as they learn the game.

As Yoshi I would recommend lots of 2A. If 2A hits you can mix up between FC B and FC 3K, both of which can't be interrupted if 2A hits. Once you knock her down, FLEA A+B works really well to stop wake up super, wake up GI or wake up RE. If Sophie blocks it, 4KB can't be interrupted in most situations. It can be stepped, but you can use MED K to catch step and give you a free DGF A. If the Sophie is hitting buttons on wake up, just BBB to stop her from doing that so you can go into FLEA mix-ups. Once you've taught her that, you can mix in FLEA K into MED A or B.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Then your rank would not be accurate. What would be the point?

Having unique ranks for each character means your rank with each character is accurate. I guess I don't see the benefit of having one universal rank?

Having only your highest rank show on your 'Player Licence' only encourages people to stick with one character.

Like I said, if I'm not playing as the character with the most RP I feel like I'm wasting my time. : (

A solution would be to keep the individual ranks, but also have them all add up into one main, overall rank.