• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap! I know Xianghua is not the best character (or so I've heared) but I still got a bit nervous going up against one at 8100 RP (Rank 20 world with Xianghua) with me being around 2k. Managed to win two in a row, felt so good. To his defense it felt like he had very little experience against Grøh. Still, I think my skill with Grøh is starting to improve. I am only doing basic stuff but trying to learn fundamentals first. Grøh is one of the most fun characters I've played in a fighter!

Honestly, the ranking system in this game isn't very good. It's more about how many games you've played and less about skill... at least at this early stage. Maybe things will change as the game matures?

I checked out the top Azwel and he was pretty bad. Last I checked I was rank 20 or so, but it's a grind to climb even though I typically go on 10+ game win streaks. I simply don't have enough time to play to get up to the 12k points the top player currently has.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Ya ranked points are very forgiving. Between CaS and the point system I think they intentionally tried to make ranked as least off putting to casuals as possible. Too many people get bent outta shape due to points in ranking systems, so having it be very lax until the top ranks seems like a decent way to go.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Rank Points feels more like an EXP bar than anything else. Losing makes almost no difference at least through E ranks. Haven't fought anyone higher.

Oct 26, 2017
So is there anything you can do that is reliable when you are getting poked to death? I mean something that doesn't have a tiny margin for error like GI and Reversal Edge that gets countered after the first couple times you use it.

I am talking about when you are at point blank range and your opponent keeps throwing out random moves that beat everything you do.

Jab doesn't exist in this game so I have no idea what I am supposed to use to punish people when they do something that seems unsafe.

I like Soul Calibur but this situation crops up so often and it pisses me off whenever it happens. This constant start and stop where you are both standing in front of each other and you get slowly poked to death and can't do anything because anything you do no matter the move gets poked.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to take a look at individual layers of clothing without removing the outer layers in the "Equipment" tab first. It's annoying having to back and remove already altered clothing just to make color changed to character's undergarments.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
So is there anything you can do that is reliable when you are getting poked to death? I mean something that doesn't have a tiny margin for error like GI and Reversal Edge that gets countered after the first couple times you use it.

I am talking about when you are at point blank range and your opponent keeps throwing out random moves that beat everything you do.

Jab doesn't exist in this game so I have no idea what I am supposed to use to punish people when they do something that seems unsafe.

I like Soul Calibur but this situation crops up so often and it pisses me off whenever it happens. This constant start and stop where you are both standing in front of each other and you get slowly poked to death and can't do anything because anything you do no matter the move gets poked.

Figure out what moves you can use to poke in return. Kicks are typically on the fast end.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to take a look at individual layers of clothing without removing the outer layers in the "Equipment" tab first. It's annoying having to back and remove already altered clothing just to make color changed to character's undergarments.

You can press the options button or whatever button opens the submenu if on pc and go into the "showcase mode" (not sure what it is called in english) press options again while in it to open a menu which among other things lets you show how your outfit looks with parts broken. That way you can look at the undergarments. Not ideal as you still have to change to color without seeing it but atleast you can check how it looks without removing everything

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a hard time choosing between Seong Mi-na and Taki.
Good taste.
336647948358254593.png
(I'm gonna play one of those two as well lol.)

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone give me advise on how the fuck youre supposed to get in on Ivy
Step forward and guard low. Side stepping at mid range is a bad idea since her 66[A] and 2_3A+G track side steps pretty well and those are her strongest zoning tools. Just going forward and blocking low stops both of those. Her ground spike (2_3B+K) is the only move to watch for if you do that since it's an overhead that lethal hits if you block low, but it's pretty slow at least. If you block something you usually have enough time to just run in and close the gap easily.

Her other primary zoning moves (like 6(B) or 4(B)) are linear so if she starts using those, you can start incorporating side steps as needed.

Once you get in, just keep the pressure on. Her close game is kind of mediocre, just watch for her side steps since she gets lethal hits and knockdowns off them.

Nov 8, 2017
Does this game have a basic VS AI mode where you can choose your character & stage between each match, just like PvP but with AI instead? Tekken 7 doesn't have that and it's just maddening to me. I love playing VS with random, especially when trying out a new game's roster.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Protip: Do not use aerial attacks against Kilik SC super. I thought it was a grab but I just got hit by it when I was above his head and lost.

It is a grab! Just duck and it wiffs.

Don't rush it, slowly advance by step guarding until you get within a range she's not comfortable with. 8 way running in you're going to get tagged by a lot of stuff.

Step forward and guard low. Side stepping at mid range is a bad idea since her 66[A] and 2_3A+G track side steps pretty well and those are her strongest zoning tools. Just going forward and blocking low stops both of those. Her ground spike (2_3B+K) is the only move to watch for if you do that since it's an overhead that lethal hits if you block low, but it's pretty slow at least. If you block something you usually have enough time to just run in and close the gap easily.

Her other primary zoning moves (like 6(B) or 4(B)) are linear so if she starts using those, you can start incorporating side steps as needed.

Once you get in, just keep the pressure on. Her close game is kind of mediocre, just watch for her side steps since she gets lethal hits and knockdowns off them.

Alright, thanks guys. Wish I ran into more her online so I could practice.The few I did run into were absolutely destroying me, so this a helpful start.

Submit to her kinks.

She hasn't been giving me any other choice D:

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you eventually unlock fast travel in Libra? Traveling to the other side of the map only to be sent back to the beginning because some jackass rung you out is annoying. The random encounters are dumb.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Do you eventually unlock fast travel in Libra? Traveling to the other side of the map only to be sent back to the beginning because some jackass rung you out is annoying. The random encounters are dumb.

Not for free travel, no. Best you can do is progress in the main story path and do those random "in search of strength" or "bounty for scoundrels" missions that appear in places you haven't been to yet. Those will unlock nodes you can visit to break up continuous travel paths, heal, and avoid expensive mountain range crossings.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I like that most of the stories introduce a TON of supporting characters. Xianghua's mates, Talim's family, Schwarzwind, Taki's clan, Maxi's crew. It kind of makes sense that it's not just these 20 characters meeting each other over and over again, but mostly just random bandits and such, and when they actually do meet it's quite epic.

I just wish the NPC:s would be unlocked in a separate menu or even having an option to just copy their CAS layouts. Some of them are really good.

Also, the art is awesome. Some of the side characters have just as cool artwork as the main heroes.
Yeah, I really like this too. Xianghua's and Groh's stories in particular really thrived through their side characters.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
I'm wondering why the Edge Master isn't available as a mimic character. He already has a model ingame.
Are you talking about the Libra of Soul portrait? That's identical to his SC5 model (I haven't seen the model among game assets). There's also an Amy portrait which is her SC4 model but an artist drew over it and added her SC6 outfit.

That said, Edge Master is listed as a fighting style in the game's code.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not for free travel, no. Best you can do is progress in the main story path and do those random "in search of strength" or "bounty for scoundrels" missions that appear in places you haven't been to yet. Those will unlock nodes you can visit to break up continuous travel paths, heal, and avoid expensive mountain range crossings.

So that's what those are for. And for exp I guess. Right now I'm at a point in the story where the red story marker is faded out and I can't travel to it. There's also a bunch of green markers that I can't travel too. Idk what that's about.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Rank Points feels more like an EXP bar than anything else. Losing makes almost no difference at least through E ranks. Haven't fought anyone higher.
Good I dont like losing points. They can get really harsh with the dudes at the uppermost ranks but let me have fun (unless I climb all the way up but by then I'll be used to it)

Usually I try my best to ignore the 'ranked points' as best as I can. I find I perform much better that way in FGs

Last edited:

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is cheating rampant on the PC? I only ask because I've had more than a few fights where I'll be doing really well only for the game to suspiciously start stuttering and lagging like a mofo, letting my opponent beat me silly without me being able to do much of anything to defend myself. It's happened just a bit too often to seem coincidental.

Oct 27, 2017
Is cheating rampant on the PC? I only ask because I've had more than a few fights where I'll be doing really well only for the game to suspiciously start stuttering and lagging like a mofo, letting my opponent beat me silly without me being able to do much of anything to defend myself. It's happened just a bit too often to seem coincidental.

This was happening to me last night but in every match. All 4 bars too. Just random stuttering and lag. I even tried hosting and it still happened so I gave up. So far today I've had no problems online.

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty much every fighter on every system.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uggghhhhh

Why can't I get better at this game? Like 90% of my matches now are me just feeling frustrated and helpless. Playing a Mina? Dying trying to get in. Playing an Ivy? Dying trying to get in. Playing a Sig? Get knocked down once and lose 80% of my HP trying to just get off the god damned floor. Same thing just happened to me vs a Geralt.

I don't mind losing, just not when it feels like I don't even get to play the game. Blah.

I don't know, maybe I should just drop Kilik or something.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Uggghhhhh

Why can't I get better at this game? Like 90% of my matches now are me just feeling frustrated and helpless. Playing a Mina? Dying trying to get in. Playing an Ivy? Dying trying to get in. Playing a Sig? Get knocked down once and lose 80% of my HP trying to just get off the god damned floor. Same thing just happened to me vs a Geralt.

I don't mind losing, just not when it feels like I don't even get to play the game. Blah.

Did they finally nerf Kilik for this entry? He used to be the worst to play against back in the day.
I haven't tried him yet (Mi-Na the best!) but what are your usual go-to moves? Maybe another player here can give you some advice?

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Uggghhhhh

Mind posting some of those matches? Maybe people can offer advice on what you're doing or should be doing.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia

I hate how ranking up works in the game. It basically forces you to keep using the same character over and over again if you wanna rank up.

Also, you can't even compare your rank with your friends? Really Namco?!? It's all poorly thought out.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
It's funny I've been playing Soul Calibur since the arcade days. But having never really been much more than a button masher who's learned a few moves.

Thus most of my time reading the advice for matches in this thread has me just going.

200.gif

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
So which LoS missions are missable? Only the ones with character portraits above them?

Oct 26, 2017
Uggghhhhh

Defense is hard in this game. Harder than other fighting games I think. Due to how fast lows can be and how defending low and blocking high for overheads isn't a thing in this.

You can try throwing out Guard Impact and use Reversal Edge. Those can sometimes give you a chance.

That and figuring out which moves of yours are the hardest to block and doing them one after another. I can get perfects sometimes as Azwel because I go through a mental list of moves that usually get people online. Like 9A on their wakeup which looks like a high attack but actually hits low but then goes into 3AA which puts them on the ground then I follow up with BK (axe mode) which gets me the muscle buster if they tried to get up before it hits them.

In other words, knock them down, abuse lows on wakeup. Against characters like Mina and Ivy it's a matter of blocking their shit and getting in or getting close enough (mid range for most characters) to tag them with your attack that has the longest range.

Those match ups are easier for me though since Azwel has attacks that can hit from full screen away so I don't really have to play their game the same way other characters have to.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uggghhhhh

Post matches.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does Libra ever end? I'm on chapter 5. It was cool at first but it's really overstaying it's welcome. At this point I'm only still playing it because I've invested so much time into it already.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
Seong Mi-Na, or maybe Raphael...Geralt is cool too. One day I should learn Talim.

etc

This game is fun. God I missed you Soul Caliber.

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
Xianghua nerds, Kayane put up a combo/tip video :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPd9V1CXZKk

In other news, I need more time to play. I'm still only like a dozen actual games with 600-700 points. Three quarters of my play time are from accidentally leaving the game running one day while out of the house. I'm glad there are plenty of beginners on PC though. I never have to wait more than like 15-20 seconds for a match.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Speaking of Xhianghua, a good tip for people that are trying to pick her up is that online, a lot, a lot of players online don't react to 66BB with the break attack.

If you have the meter it's a free CE every time they try to block, have yet to experiment a bit further with what other opportunities this might give you.

Of course, if they do you're fucked since I've seen it leads to LH sometimes.

It's funny I've been playing Soul Calibur since the arcade days. But having never really been much more than a button masher who's learned a few moves.

Thus most of my time reading the advice for matches in this thread has me just going.

200.gif

Honestly mashing is just step one, then you practice how to make that one cool move you pulled off on command and then it's about when's the best time to use it.

I think SC is the most accesible fighting game to try this out, even recent games like DBZF with the auto combos doesn't feel as welcoming as SC.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
One day I should learn Talim.
Talim is really a struggle , especially given how easy the long-range chars are in this.
Hm yeah I feel the same way from my time with her.
She was my other main in SC2/4, mostly due to the fact that Mi-Na felt kinda weak in those entries. Maybe it's been too long and my muscle memory is off, but I can't seem to survive with her anymore.
Maybe all the old combos have changed too. I need to spend more time with her when I have the opportunity, I'm curious to see how she sits on a proper tier list now.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hm yeah I feel the same way from my time with her.
She was my other main in SC2/4, mostly due to the fact that Mi-Na felt kinda weak in those entries. Maybe it's been too long and my muscle memory is off, but I can't seem to survive with her anymore.
Maybe all the old combos have changed too. I need to spend more time with her when I have the opportunity, I'm curious to see how she sits on a proper tier list now.

It feels like she's around the range of 3S Sean bad. Very hard to get in against characters who can keep out easily, and doesn't do enough damage when she gets in.

Last edited: