• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
You have to imagine that if Mulan made $1B+ on Disney+, they would've immediately shifted everything in the pipeline to a similar premium release model. Disney doesn't give a shit about theaters if they can make more money elsewhere.

But they clearly need theaters to make the most profit possible - so the live action stuff is going to stay locked away until that's feasible.
Someone needs to bite the bullet someday and release an actual decent blockbuster as premium access.
Mulan had too much against it to ever break out.

Black Widow and Wonder Woman are the 2 that could do it if anything possibly could but the downside is huge.
007 would probably be a step below them

Honestly though im surprised Paramount decided to delay Top Gun until July 2021.
With a lesser budget, merchandise hitting but delayed early before its huge marketing push I thought something could happen there.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
To think, this was the only Pixar movie I was legitimately looking forward to watch in theatres.

But I'll take it. I'd rather watch the film in the safety of my cave than risk getting sick, which has almost happened.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Great look just dumping the Asian and Black starring movies on your streaming service while holding out on the White one

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Pixar, for free*, at Christmas is a good deal. Though it's a real shame the first POC-led Pixar film doesn't get a theatrical release.

Haha yeah. I guess they crunched the numbers and figured not enough families would be shelving out $30.
Coco was the first POC led Pixar film

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I am turn, I think it should be in theaters just because it looks so wonderful and it is black as fuck. But it will probably break out being on D+

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Good stuff. Wish they'd just put Black Widow on there too.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Having Disney + as a fallback must have given them a huge boost this year, they couldn't have got it out at a better time!

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
There's going to be a shitstorm coming, isn't there? Mulan gets punted to Disney Plus with premier access, Soul gets punted to Disney Plus WITHOUT premier access, Black Widow is still getting a theatrical release...

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Pixar, for free*, at Christmas is a good deal. Though it's a real shame the first POC-led Pixar film doesn't get a theatrical release.

I am hoping that it will once theatres are back up. I have Disney + but I would pay to see it again if it's up to normal Pixar quality.

Budget wise Soul must cost as much as Black Widow if not more. It is a big move for driving up subscribers numbers though, it's not even comparable with box office returns.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Wait so there's no content parity among regions in D+? :(

No. D+ in Japan is missing hundreds of titles compared to other countries. There's also no 4K or surround sound options. No PS4 or smart TV apps, so in order to watch it on your TV you literally have to stream it from your phone somehow. Japan is also the only country with no universal login, like Netflix. Japan's D+ is a completely separate entity. Worst of all, there's only 6 seasons of The Simpsons up as of today.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
No. D+ in Japan is missing hundreds of titles compared to other countries. There's also no 4K or surround sound options. No PS4 or smart TV apps, so in order to watch it on your TV you literally have to stream it from your phone somehow. Japan is also the only country with no universal login, like Netflix. Japan's D+ is a completely separate entity. Worst of all, there's only 6 seasons of The Simpsons up as of today.
Holy fuck sounds like a complete aftethought.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
good for D+, but man i feel for Pixar, I know Onward had a like a 2 week theatre run, but first that now this. Soul deserves a theatre release, but I can't complain.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
This could be a repeat of Hamilton if they advertise it well, since it's releasing on a day a lot of people would be going to the movies but can't. It might get more eyes on it than it would otherwise, but sucks it'll miss theaters.

I wonder if Onward, Trolls World Tour, Scoob, and this will have a special or unique place in the hearts of kids living through this.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
That is weird.. I went to the movies tonight and saw a trailer for this movie..

I must say sure I am glad it is on Disney+ and I know we are in a pandemic. But boy do I feel for cinemas around the world because the situation is really dir at the moment

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
surprised but happy that it's not an extra cost. Will watch day one.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Good that Disney wised up. There is a hard limit on how much people will pay to see movies released to SVOD. $30 for Mulan was already pushing it.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Good that Disney wised up. There is a hard limit on how much people will pay to see movies released to SVOD. $30 for Mulan was already pushing it.

I'm the last person to weep for Disney's lost revenue, but I don't think "free*" is a repeatable or sustainable model. If there's any hope of seeing earlier home releases there needs to be something between free and $30.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just wondering how much the average ticket is for you all? I know I overpay but some areas in LA charge $18 per ticket so $30 for a movie my wife and I really want to see isnt a big deal but I also dont know what the average cost of 2 tickets is.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if it'll get a theatrical release in other countries that have the virus under control.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
This is great news! I just hope this doesn't mean they expect it to bomb otherwise. Theaters are not an option this year and Mulan definitely underperformed when they asked for not one, but two paywalls, the second of which was straight up abusive.

Last edited:

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
My guess is Disney will be putting out Soul- and Mandalorian-themed 6- and 12-month Disney+ subscription cards in Walmarts and Costcos and whatnot right before the holidays.

The perfect stocking-stuffer is giving Disney more of your money.
That's a good idea. Toss in an MCU card and your stocking stuffers are set.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
This is sad. An original work of one of the best living animation directors deserves a big screen.

Luckily I have tickets for it in 2 weeks. It's the closing film of Film Fest Ghent.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Do we know if this includes the UK? I just have a bad feeling Sky will get dibs on it like with everything else.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know if this includes the UK? I just have a bad feeling Sky will get dibs on it like with everything else.
It's every country that has Disney+ available. It was just confirmed the theatrical release in Belgium is scrapped.

This is really shitty for cinema's. Those that can remain open need these kind of bigger movies to survive 2020.