• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AhiKuma

Banned
Sep 28, 2021
But they pick & choose which games to appear on their platform instead of putting all of them on the system in which most of the audience are on in Japan. Example: Instead of porting Persona 5: The Royal, they give Switch owners Persona 5: Scramble (Strikers elsewhere), a sequel. What kind of shit is that?

I'll be frankly, Japan doesn't matter in terms of console games sales unless you're a Nintendo first party game. Having a game on Switch doesn't mean it will boom in Japan as we've previously seen and most developers/publishers realized that they need to expand outside the country if they actually want their games to sell which is why you see more PC release as well. They're not gonna port games on the Switch if they don't see it's worth it and/or compromises the design of the game due to hardware limitations.

Last edited:

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I'll be frankly, Japan doesn't matter in terms of console games sales unless you're a Nintendo first party game. Having a game on Switch doesn't mean it will boom in Japan as we've previously seen and most developers/publishers realized that they need to expand outside the country if they actually want their games to sell which is why you see more PC release as well. They're not gonna port games on the Switch if they don't see it's worth it and/or compromises the design of the game due to hardware limitations.
Fair enough, though I shouldn't have to buy a certain game that I like on PS4 in which I rarely use compared to Switch, especially when I can play them on the go.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
But they pick & choose which games to appear on their platform instead of putting all of them on the system in which most of the audience are on in Japan. Example: Instead of porting Persona 5: The Royal, they give Switch owners Persona 5: Scramble (Strikers elsewhere), a sequel. What kind of shit is that?

Nintendo fans are really defensive about their precious Switch, huh? Not every game needs to be on Switch. And if you're gonna argue about audience, why not worry about the western make? Why make SMTV exclusive to Switch when it would sell even more with a PS and PC versions overseas?

Fair enough, though I shouldn't have to buy a certain game that I like on PS4 in which I rarely use compared to Switch, especially when I can play them on the go.
That's more of a you problem.

AhiKuma

Banned
Sep 28, 2021
I mean you can say the same vice versa. I don't want to buy something like Monster Hunter Rise on my barely used Switch when I would rather play it on my PS5 or Xbox.

Also going back to my previous post about the hardware, Switch is worryingly underpowered even for some games that have the switch as the target platform so I wouldn't expect most things on the system in the first place if it's an issue for games to run on the system.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
They could've easily had such games of the following on Switch as well:
  1. Dragon's Crown Pro
  2. Muramasa Rebirth
  3. Persona 5: The Royal
  4. Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir
But they've always been so biased against Nintendo on a certain amount of games while always playing favorites with everyone else, especially Sony.
lmao they just released SMT5 as a switch exclusive and most of their games in the past decade were nintendo exclusives

Aki

Mar 20, 2020
These switch complaints are getting so Ridiculous. The switch simply can't run this game, have you seen how terribly SMTV was performing? & then you people demand persona 5 to be ok it too?? Man I love my switch but you gotta face reality.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Soul-Hackers-2_2022_03-07-22_105.jpg
I love the way the demons look. Kinda reminds me of Oreshika.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
  1. Dragon's Crown Pro
  2. Muramasa Rebirth
But they've always been so biased against Nintendo on a certain amount of games while always playing favorites with everyone else, especially Sony.
The Vanillaware stuff is explainable as the team is small, refuses to outsource for proprietary tech reasons and are now moving to Switch support anyway with 13 Sentinels. PC gamers are the ones who should be complaining about them now. Also Atlus has nothing to do with Muramasa, Marvelous owns that.

P5/R is likely an exclusivity deal. Like SMTV.

"Biased against Nintendo"

"Favorites with everyone else"

Huh?? Are we forgetting SMTV (exclusive to Switch), Nocturne HD hitting Switch, all the games on 3DS, DS, etc. 13 Sentinels also just recently hit the Switch as far as Vanillaware stuff.

I don't know who "everyone else" is you're referring to besides Sony, and even then Sony platforms in recent years haven't received a lot of Atlus/Megaten games outside Persona and Catherine, Vanillaware games, and only just now Soul Hackers 2.

And about SH2, sucks it's not on Switch, but I'm also glad they are making a NEW game intended for hardware above those specs for once. PlayStation might have gotten P5 Royal and Catherine Full Body, but those are still updates of games that also launched on the PS3.
Actually Catherine FB and P5 Strikers also came to Switch too. Plus there's TMS, even if it's co-owned by Nintendo, it's real tough to argue Atlus of all publishers is biased against Nintendo or even favors PlayStation.

These switch complaints are getting so Ridiculous. The switch simply can't run this game, have you seen how terribly SMTV was performing? & then you people demand persona 5 to be ok it too?? Man I love my switch but you gotta face reality.
Honestly, this game looks like even PS3 could probably run it. It's not on Switch and that's fine but it's definitely not something that looks beyond Switch spec so far. I wouldn't be surprised if it got a Switch downport later on either a la Cathrine FB or 13 Sentinels.

SMTV had uneven performance on Switch but it's environmental scope was also well beyond what we've seen of SH2 really. This game is more segmented and insular it seems, closer to P5 or TMS.

Japan's not even really the strongest argument for Switch support generally. Despite Sony's very recent transitional collapse there, Japan was the region where PS4 actually held out best versus Switch for JRPGs and often still led in multiplatform sales. It's really the west where you make the commercial rationale that JRPGs should look to include Switch as that where multiplats like Tales, SaGa, Ys or Atelier lead in sales on the platform or exclusives like Xenoblade, Fire Emblem or Octopath really blew up. Anyone framing this on Japan sort of has it backwards when it comes to Switch, it's real strength for 3rd parties is also overseas. I mean look at SMTV's record breaking sales, that's not because of Japan.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
It wasn't mentioned earlier, and I personally glossed over it myself, but apparently there are map skills

sh_30.jpg

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
  1. Dragon's Crown Pro
  2. Muramasa Rebirth
As a primarily PC gamer, the assertion that Atlus plays favorites with my platform offends me deeply.

Don't let your salt blind you of reality.

Sep 14, 2018
Honestly, this game looks like even PS3 could probably run it. It's not on Switch and that's fine but it's definitely not something that looks beyond Switch spec so far. I wouldn't be surprised if it got a Switch downport later on either a la Cathrine FB or 13 Sentinels.
It looks like a PS3 could run it and doesn't look beyond the switch... but it has to be 'downported' to it later, how's that work?

The easiest possible explanation is that the Switch can't run it properly, or rather whatever version they're working on that can apparently be freely ported through 2 gens of PS, Xbox and PC would need a prohibitive amount of additional work and resources to run properly on the Switch, like I mentioned last time this came up, Atlus probably doesn't consider the hassle worth it.

It will either sell well or not but the Switch version was not considered a worthwhile investment toward it's success.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 was designed to run on a PS3, and Soul Hackers 2 looks notably worse than even that. The idea that Switch couldn't run it is silly.

The only reality is that that the console wasn't within their scope for whatever reason, and y'know that's fair; there's no universal "port" button even between the modern consoles, and this is the first time they're working on launching concurrently on multiple platforms. They simply prioritized other platforms, but I don't blame people for being critical about its absence.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
As far as no Switch goes, since the team was involved with TMS, I'd guess the low sales of that game were the decisive factor here.

SMTV has the issue of the very large open areas (and with unique visible field enemies). It'd require more of the system than more closed environments like this.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
RIP switch but the fact an Atlus game is launching on PS, Xbox and even PC is still pretty huge. I wanna say unprecedented even. I hope it marks a shift in how they approach their releases.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
tbh I haven't seen anything to suggest that the Switch can't run this game. It wouldn't surprise me to see it show up as a late port. Similarly, it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't.

*shrug*

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Atlus has a Sony bias and Soul Hackers 2 looks worse than Persona 5 from a technical perspective. Now I've heard it all.

Discussion around this game is truly a dumpster fire and it's a shame because it looks great.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Atlus has a Sony bias and Soul Hackers 2 looks worse than Persona 5 from a technical perspective. Now I've heard it all.

Discussion around this game is truly a dumpster fire and it's a shame because it looks great.

I feel like that almost every Atlus thread, and especially with games related in one way or another to SMT, end up like that eventually. A real shame. Game looks great and I'm looking forward to playing it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Thinking the game looks worse than Persona 5, one of the most stylistically slick JRPGs, does not equate to thinking the game looks bad. I'm still looking forward to it, but I'm hesitant to think highly of its visuals even compared to something like SMTV for that matter either. It looks like an average mid-range JRPG all things considered.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
Thinking the game looks worse than Persona 5, one of the most stylistically slick JRPGs, does not equate to thinking the game looks bad. I'm still looking forward to it, but I'm hesitant to think highly of its visuals even compared to something like SMTV for that matter either. It looks like an average mid-range JRPG all things considered.

Stylistically maybe but it doesn't look technically worse than Persona 5.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

That's more to do with art direction, not tech. The two go hand in hand admittedly, but nothing in SH2 looks like an actual technical step down from P5 and if anything the character models and demons look better.

For the record, based purely on what we've seen so far it probably could be ported. I just doubt putting in the extra time and effort to port it to switch was within their scope and budget.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I would say stylistically this game easily looks worse than P5, and has some of the worst menus of any recent persona or smt game (though I imagine I'm the outlier here). I wouldn't say this is technically worse though.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Just a quick comparison between some demons we've seen:

xsmpoc05l7651.jpg
soul_hackers_2-7.jpg

Persona-5-Royal-Angel-Cropped.jpg
1589341A-DC85-4128-B215-A8CF35C1E4F6.jpeg

EqPdwUFXUAAbyvk.jpg
144751DB-75FC-44E1-8B4F-CF4DBBD4C2CD.jpeg

Sep 14, 2018
Its the same as the SMT V model just with a thicker outline I think.

Curious about this trailer tonight, still kinda meh on the game and I hope the trailer will sell me
Not a persona fan snik? This game basically looks like the 'persona with grown ups' everyone is always asking for.

There's social links, 'grown up' story, Figue is a classic navigator/mascot, there's all out attacks, 1 more system, etc.

I'm not crazy about Ringo and Figue's designs but Arrow, Milady and Saizo look like a pretty good blend of persona plus smt. (there's more persona in that blend, clearly)

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Not a persona fan snik? This game basically looks like the 'persona with grown ups' everyone is always asking for.

There's social links, 'grown up' story, Figue is a classic navigator/mascot, there's all out attacks, 1 more system, etc.

I'm not crazy about Ringo and Figue's designs but Arrow, Milady and Saizo look like a pretty good blend of persona plus smt. (there's more persona in that blend, clearly)
I like persona decently enough, I'm just not a fan of the TMS teams' aesthetic, and this game even more than TMS looks really similar to a lot of other mid cyber futuristic JRPGs(like Cyber Sleuth) and gives me a bad taste lol. I'm willing to give it a shot but I'm just not a fan of the aesthetic.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It looks like a PS3 could run it and doesn't look beyond the switch... but it has to be 'downported' to it later, how's that work?

The easiest possible explanation is that the Switch can't run it properly, or rather whatever version they're working on that can apparently be freely ported through 2 gens of PS, Xbox and PC would need a prohibitive amount of additional work and resources to run properly on the Switch, like I mentioned last time this came up, Atlus probably doesn't consider the hassle worth it.

It will either sell well or not but the Switch version was not considered a worthwhile investment toward it's success.
There's no gotcha; scope, shading and assets look well within Switch spec but it's likely running higher res and maybe framerate than Switch would. Downport is accurate but that doesn't mean it's beyond the platform.

The simplest explanation is really bandwidth, 5 versions is already a lot for what's a pretty small team within Atlus 1st Production that previously made DS to 3DS ports until Nintendo struck a 1st party deal with them. There's nothing I've seen so far that'd really suggest this game can't be ported to Switch and the fact it hasn't been isn't evidence to that. Maybe it's cost prohibitive, maybe there's not enough resources, maybe the team just didn't want to after TMS bombed, none of those would really be a result of it being beyond Switch hardware tbh.

I hope it does well as I'd like to continue seeing new Megaten stuff outside SMT and Persona.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Speaking purely visually I think the difference is that even with Persona 5's very striking visual style, it still feels rooted in the style of P3/P4, which is to say, it feels like late 2000s anime. Soul Hackers 2 is definitely going for more of a 2020s anime style, which is more than a decade removed from what Persona is emulating. People keep saying Cyber Sleuth and "Bandai Namco RPGs", but I also see some like... vtuber influence and whatnot. But that is what modern anime is to a lot of people. It's not bad, though, I like the way it looks personally.

Sep 14, 2018
There's no gotcha; scope, shading and assets look well within Switch spec but it's likely running higher res and maybe framerate than Switch would. Downport is accurate but that doesn't mean it's beyond the platform.

The simplest explanation is really bandwidth, 5 versions is already a lot for what's a pretty small team within Atlus 1st Production that previously made DS to 3DS ports until Nintendo struck a 1st party deal with them. There's nothing I've seen so far that'd really suggest this game can't be ported to Switch and the fact it hasn't been isn't evidence to that. Maybe it's cost prohibitive, maybe there's not enough resources, maybe the team just didn't want to after TMS bombed, none of those would really be a result of it being beyond Switch hardware tbh.

I hope it does well as I'd like to continue seeing new Megaten stuff outside SMT and Persona.
Yeah we basically said the same thing, a reasonable guess on why there's no switch version.

I've just rolled my eyes at the "it looks like a ps3 game and no switcho ver? Atluz must be dumb!1" takes.

Some of the criticism I've seen looks like console wars cause it's not on switch, as if Atlus wouldn't love to have an additional version that could give access to more sales.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the game also being on PS and PC in addition to Switch would irrefutably make it sell more
It would.

Would it sell enough to make up the time that went into porting it? If it's something that can be done (and I think it can), was it feasible when they were making one entry for one console when that release already had noticeable complaints about performance?

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
It would.

Would it sell enough to make up the time that went into porting it? If it's something that can be done (and I think it can), was it feasible when they were making one entry for one console when that release already had noticeable complaints about performance?
I mean, the reason it had performance issues is explicitly because of the console its limited to. If nintendo didnt have an exclusivity deal for it the game would 100% run fine on PS and PC

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the reason it had performance issues is explicitly because of the console its limited to. If nintendo didnt have an exclusivity deal for it the game would 100% run fine on PS and PC
It had performance issues because they thought the performance was acceptable...people keep blaming the Switch (and yes it's fairly week), but any game can have performance issues if the devs push the HW to that point. Yall act like other systems are immune from this

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we should pretend that games run better on other platforms lol, jank is universal. The PS4 version of Witcher 3 was embarassing. I have to suffer Judgement on consoles vs being able to play it on my 3080, so I'm disinterested in people complaining about the Switch at this point.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping we see some Kuzunohas tonight, or at least that dude in the key art that I assume has to be Six.

I hope we see Rei.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
We all know the game is gonna be ported to the Switch once it has made its money on whatever platform it comes first in order to get the double-dippers, just like they did with Catherine Fullbody and 13 Sentinels. I'm suprised how people in this thread still aren't aware of how Atlus does its business.

Anyway I am interested to see more, I am in the mood for some good old turn-based SMT action.