• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You can get why it doesn't look so great for Pixar's first film with a black protagonist to be body swapped by a white woman, and he doesn't spend a lot of the movie in his own body, right? Either it's intentional or just a bit odd. People had been worried since the trailer that this would happen, just like it's happened with past Disney movies.

You still have the black character front and center, it's just not him always controlling the body. I don't think this is really comparable to princess and the frog.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I liked it quite a bit, but I also feel that it squandered potential to be truly remarkable. I was surprised by the first 10 minutes, I actually said to my girlfriend "this is great, but there's nothing for kids here at all", but then it turns more into a typical Pixar movie. I was less enamoured the non-New York scenes, or the cat body swap plot. Overall still a great film with some really affecting scenes. Jamie Foxx is great in it too.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I loved it, and I'm glad the majority of the film takes place in the "real world".

I could relate to Joe a lot, as I'm sure many could, although unlike others I didn't cry at all during it (which is honestly bizarre for me with a Pixar film).

There's just so much to take in with it that I'm probably going to rewatch it again tonight.

I'm glad Joe didn't die at the end since I was sure they were going to go that route. I also somehow missed Graham Norton would even be in it!

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
You can get why it doesn't look so great for Pixar's first film with a black protagonist to be body swapped by a white woman, and he doesn't spend a lot of the movie in his own body, right? Either it's intentional or just a bit odd. People had been worried since the trailer that this would happen, just like it's happened with past Disney movies.

I understand the initial apprehension and the movie could have easily gone the typical route with the body swap plot device but I think the film instead was very respectful to keeping the character and body of Joe front and center and more importantly his life. When Tina Fey speaks, the body of Joe sounds like Joe and the movie makes it apparent multiple times.

I recommend giving it a view and deciding for yourself. I will say one of the impactful things about the film after viewing it was having watched a whole animated Pixar movie people of color just being fucking people.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
It's very good. It also very refreshingly didn't feature too many marketable mascots or other blockbuster bullshit. Just a bona fide great movie, with great art direction and an honest, simple, mature message.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Just finished watching the movie and I really enjoyed it. While it's not up there with Toy Story, Coco, Wall E, and the likes, I still like it, even more so than Inside Out. The story of the movie somewhat resonates with me because similar to Joe, I'm also pondering a lot about the meaning of life as we all face the pandemic and unable to enjoy the simple things that I often take for granted.

And I have to agree that the role of 22 should be reserved for black actors. I think the movie would be better if

rather than telling the story of a relationship between a mentor and student, it tells story in the perspective of a father and his child, just like how
Joe's father shows him his spark.

But I'm still pretty happy with how diverse the characters are in the movie.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Spoilers

Not really feeling this one, sadly. Quite surprised by the high MT score, honestly. It didn't really resonate with at an emotional level, which most Pixar films do, and I didn't find Joe a very likeable protagonist, nor 22.

I've heard quite a lot of hyperbole about how clever it is but I didn't personally find it to be anything special. It didn't leave a lasting impression or make me think of much, even when reflecting on my own life. Good animation and music of course, but the story just didn't really do anything for me. I don't think it made a strong enough case for Joe having wasted his life to carry the ultimate message of needing to live it again.

What a shame.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Watched it last night after having seen Wonder Woman. A fantastic movie. Another Pixar great.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I could relate to Joe a lot, as I'm sure many could, although unlike others I didn't cry at all during it (which is honestly bizarre for me with a Pixar film).

This film takes A Bug's Life approach in which it can have an emotionally driven story without having to resort to a tearjerking moment.

It's very good. It also very refreshingly didn't feature too many marketable mascots or other blockbuster bullshit. Just a bona fide great movie, with great art direction and an honest, simple, mature message.

This movie is shockingly minimalist in its nature with its cast and I think that was done entirely on purpose. I like the movie for that.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Loved it. Best film Pixar, and Disney as a whole, has put out since Coco, and there have been some pretty good ones in that timespan. The only major thing I disliked was that there wasn't enough of everything, whether it was the real world scenes, the incredibly animated wire frame figures, or just more jazz.

Last edited:

D23

Oct 25, 2017
This movie is a lookers on the oled with dolby vision. It is stunnnnniiiiiiing

Oct 25, 2017
You still have the black character front and center, it's just not him always controlling the body. I don't think this is really comparable to princess and the frog.

Talk about missing the point

Theyre saying that whenever these studio decides to use a black lead they're not in human form for a large majority of the movie; and in this case when it was, half that time was voiced by tina fey

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching it with my kids. I really enjoyed it. It was very similar to Inside Out but not quite as good (but close). Got pretty teary eyed at the end. Had a great message too.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
tenor.gif

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
Spoilers

Not really feeling this one, sadly. Quite surprised by the high MT score, honestly. It didn't really resonate with at an emotional level, which most Pixar films do, and I didn't find Joe a very likeable protagonist, nor 22.

I've heard quite a lot of hyperbole about how clever it is but I didn't personally find it to be anything special. It didn't leave a lasting impression or make me think of much, even when reflecting on my own life. Good animation and music of course, but the story just didn't really do anything for me. I don't think it made a strong enough case for Joe having wasted his life to carry the ultimate message of needing to live it again.

What a shame.
Agree with this. Didn't work for me and I really liked Inside Out.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Spoilers

What a shame.
Yeah same. It's got a good message like all Pixar films, but I didn't think any of the characters likeable or the plot engaging. The jazz was about the only thing I liked.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Really good by any typical standard but mid-tier Pixar for me. It felt a bit like a greatest hits of the studio's movies at times and the concept was nowhere near as tight or coherent as Inside Out.

Musical score was AMAZING though, and it looked so good.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it but I'm conflicted. I think the messaging was amazing and overall I loved it. I guess my problem stems from the fact that the message and the messenger (not Pixar but the theme of the movie such as choosing a black man to express this message) actually made me very depressed?

It just feels like, without that extra messaging at the end that kind of gives the vibe that "black lives matter", it feels like a privilege that we aren't given. yeah we are to just live our lives but some of us like try to and we don't make it very far. And some of us don't get a chance to explore what life is. Some of us are not born in circumstances that give us a position to do so. So it's such a sweet thing, the movie I'm saying, but it just feels a little bit empty mostly .....because when you think about what reality is and even trying to remove that from the messaging, it's one that doesn't apply to many.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it well enough but disappointed that it's a movie with music as a huge plot point yet contained not a single song I cared for or even anything I'd consider memorable.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah same. It's got a good message like all Pixar films, but I didn't think any of the characters likeable or the plot engaging. The jazz was about the only thing I liked.

I was really hoping for a movie centered around jazz and music and that being the main driver of plot instead of it being metaphorically "soul".

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
I was surprised that they were souls for a very short time. The advertising made it look like the main chunk of the movie when maybe it was like 30% of the whole experience.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
The movie was much more unapologetically black and NY than I was expecting. Wasn't expecting a barbershop scene with a Tribe Called Quest poster on the wall...

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People should watch the first episode of Inside Pixar where they talk to the guy behind the barbershop scene.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
The movie was much more unapologetically black and NY than I was expecting. Wasn't expecting a barbershop scene with a Tribe Called Quest poster on the wall...
I don't know if the hater was like an inside black joke or if a naysayer hanging out at barbershops is universal but that was pretty funny. The old dude that was open also reminded me of the old guy whose seat was always open when I was growing up so that got a good chuckle out of me too.

Edit: thinking on it, the only white person I recall being in the real world segments is the cat lady.

Last edited:

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
Coco basically solves the main character's desire of playing music by solving the mystery of his great-great-grandfather's death, as it allows his family to love music again, but he doesn't actually doesn't grow much from his adventure. He just learns who his actual ancestor was, and that allows him to reverse the family's ban on music.

The main character in Coco growing isn't the point. His family is the group that learns and develops over the course of the film. Flat main character arcs aren't inherently bad. The YouTube Channel Just Write explains this better than I ever could.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ot02hMJ6Hkk

nin

Asked Politely
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Can we all agree that the score from Trent reznor and Atticus Ross was the highlight of the movie ?

Trent scoring a Pixar film is something I would have never thought would happen. Yet it fit perfectly.

It made me tear up several times.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Did anyone watch with kids? Any issues? We all watched WW 84 today and kids liked it, thinking about Soul tomorrow but I'm worried might be too heavy for kids.

Both my kids sat through the whole thing and were engaged - one is a preschooler and the other in early elementary school. There were several questions as it progressed and I'm not sure how much they understood but thumbs up in the end!

For me, I was painfully aware of time passing and it felt longer than its 90 minutes.I didn't dislike it, but it certainly didn't resonate with me like Up or Inside Out.

Funny enough, my kids are watching Iniside Out now. I asked if they wanted to watch something more light-hearted and age appropriate but both overruled my suggestion. My kids are old souls apparently.

Oct 27, 2017
Eeeehhhh, it's ok. It's telling I think that when World's Strongest Man was due to start none of us (2 adults, 2 kids) had any issue stopping Soul to watch strong men instead. Obviously it looks and sounds fabulous and the animation is spectacular but I'm not really feeling the story. Maybe the last 10 minutes or so will bring me round.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it quite a bit. Ending seemed a bit abrupt though. Like, you end the movie 30 seconds earlier and you get a very different movie.

I'm not saying that having him die would have made a better movie, just the last minute 2nd chance came out of nowhere. I feel like that's something that should have been brought up as a possibility earlier in the film, or at least hinted at. They make such a big deal about the count being off and then just blow that off with a (admittedly funny) joke.

Richard Ayoade needs to do more voice work. He was great in this.

Edit: thinking on it, the only white person I recall being in the real world segments is the cat lady.

And the hippie.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Pixar continues to hit it out of the park. This, and Coco is some of their best work yet.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I loved that the message of the movie was present throughout.
They kept hinting at specific "endings" for him, be a teacher, play piano, call lisa, but in the end what made him go back was that he decided to live. Thats when the souls get their passes. All that other specific stuff are not the one thing that gives us meaning. And in the end its all there for him to try, if he wants to. Or not.

The final scene of this movie is perfect.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Just watched it. Moved me to tears. I really needed this one right now, at the end of this clusterfuck of a year. What a fantastic movie and what a beautiful message.

Oct 28, 2017
Really enjoyed this movie. I loved the visuals and the representation of the Great Before. Also the music was fantastic.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Between Onward and Soul, Pixar has been good for me this year. Freshest I've felt from them since I was younger. These flew over my daughters head but each spoke to me as an adult whose gone through a lot of loss (siblings, SO).

feels good

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Really good, at least within the top 10 for Pixar films for me, but I'll need to rewatch it again to get a better judgment.

Two parts in particular
the barbershop scene and the life montage near the end of the film
were some of the best sequences from any Pixar work in my opinion.