• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
Okay yeah, I'm in love.

What a fantastically written and produced movie. Best Pete Docter work so far imo, I liked it way better than Inside Out.

One quick nitpick though:

I wished they kept Joe dead at the end. Maybe kids wouldn't like that but it could've been the perfect closure. He figured out the meaning of his life, getting a "second chance" seems a bit too on the nose. Also, I can help but think he couldn't have been the only person in history who thought they died early and tried to get back to earth. The Jerry's giving him a second chance was kinda cheesy.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay yeah, I'm in love.

What a fantastically written and produced movie. Best Pete Docter work so far imo, I liked it way better than Inside Out.

I wished they kept Joe dead at the end. Maybe kids wouldn't like that but it could've been the perfect closure. He figured out the meaning of his life, getting a "second chance" seems a bit too on the nose. Also, I can help but think he couldn't have been the only person in history who thought they died early and tried to get back to earth. The Jerry's giving him a second chance was kinda cheesy.

I can see that and I did wonder if that ending would make the film feel cheap but it doesn't. Movie establishes early on his Body didn't die. Earth functions too much by real rules to assume people don't die and come back etc. So it worked for but let's be honest they weren't going to let the main character die in a Disney Pixar film.

That said, after viewing it, with my daughter, I realized this is not a kids film. It's a film kids can enjoy to varying degrees, but I can't be convinced it was made with kids in mind primarily. This movie was very on the nose for a lot of feelings I've had lately as I get older, especially as a parent, and it's left me with a lot to think about.

Beautiful film, I think genuinely my favorite experience watching a Pixar film. It helps being a NYC kid born and raised. They nailed the day to day of riding the 7 train to perfection. I was in awe.

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
Saw the trailer in the theater back in March and thought it would be among my least favorite Pixar films. Never read/watched another thing about it until I watched it today. Just phenomenal. The trailer just didn't do this film justice. It's so good. But, it definitely does not seem like a kid's movie at all. Or maybe it's good for kids and adults. I have no idea how Disney gave this the green light, but I am very happy they did.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing movie.

I wish they just let Joe die. We don't get a second chance. Joe should have died so that the audience wakes up from "the zone" and we get a second chance.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
The first guy that gets bumped into by 'Joe' on the metro train was his voice, I'm certain of it. "Hey, watch it!" or something like that.
Yeah that was totally him. Like as soon as that guy spoke I said to my girlfriend "There's Ratzenberger!"

Probably the smallest part he's had in any Pixar movie, even his character in Brave had more lines iirc lol

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
This one didn't work for me. Really padded and a weird mix of the beginning of boss baby and every body swap movie from the 90s. The beginning was interesting. Wish they kept this one I️ the real world tbh.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can definitely see where the criticisms are coming from; a kinda-weak middle with body-swapping and a ultimately muddled final message does drag the movie down; but if the themes resonate with you, it'll more likely than not hit you hard, and the fact that these themes of soul-searching and reconciliation of dreams and reality are being framed in a Pixar movie which generally appeals to children is more ambitious than Inside Out could be, and I respect it for that.

And godsdamn, the jazz is sublime.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
That was a beautiful movie with a great message about finding what makes you feel like life is worth living and never giving up. I was mostly fine with the ending, but also would've understood just letting Joe go into the Great Beyond. Wonderful soundtrack too.

That being said, this ain't for kids. I could see them getting a chuckle or some interest out of the Joe and cat moments, but it goes way too deep to the point where I think kids would actually get bored.

And yes, that shade thrown at the Knicks got the biggest laugh out of me. It explains so much.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty good film. Some of the plotting is iffy and wayward but it's thoughtful and evocative. Definitely worth a watch.

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
I can see that and I did wonder if that ending would make the film feel cheap but it doesn't. Movie establishes early on his Body didn't die. Earth functions too much by real rules to assume people don't die and come back etc. So it worked for but let's be honest they weren't going to let the main character die in a Disney Pixar film.

Yeah I agree. That would make it a 10/10 for me but it makes sense to go with this ending.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
One of my favorite pixar films. Definitely felt like the most mature film from the studio and really felt like it wasnt for kids haha

Oct 29, 2017
A-Game Pixar, but not sure it will resonate as widely as previous greats.

They finally kind of made a movie that is not for kids at all. Even the struggle with depression in Inside Out, though still as deep a concept, is way more accessible for kids than this.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Holy Moley. That is easily one of my favorite films of all time. Moved me immensely.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
The Knicks gag made my father laugh so hard, he nearly choked on his dinner.

I do wish the ending had been a little different, but other than that, top tier Pixar, easily.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I can't say I loved this movie. Meaning was way too muddled, and the main character was so unlikable that it was hard to root for him. I kept expecting some revelation to come, but the bit with the souvenirs and the piano was just too little. The whole "22 as a lost soul" thing also felt very tacked on. Becoming obsessed with self-criticism and feelings of being a failure is logical, but the movies never really laid the breadcrumbs for it (especially with how they presented the "lost souls" earlier).

Music was fantastic, and I loved the look of it. Just felt like there were a ton of ideas that needed more development.

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
I thought it was good, not great. 2nd tier Pixar. To the people saying the studio is back to form, you realize Coco was just three years ago right?

Pete Docter has this annoying habit in his scripts of setting up an interesting plot/concept and then taking a long detour in the middle. It eventually pays off, but a lot of the journey feels pointless/bloated.

I could care less about the inner machinations of the soul world or any of the counselor/Terry characters.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely wonderful film. Top tier, not sure how you could say otherwise or suggest the messaging was difficult to grasp or badly handled lmao.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Wow, this film floored me. A lot of the story devices present in Soul would have typically annoyed me in other films but here they somehow feel fresh and exciting. The message of the film was something truly remarkable and for it to be in a kids film is insane.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Knicks joke is a top 10 all time film joke imo

Loved the character design of the Jerry's. Still, this movie kind of made me sad...it's all about living life to the fullest, and we literally can't do that right now.

Somewhat unlikable protagonist, but nothing horrible. 8/10!

TheQueensOwn

Oct 27, 2017
Was going to watch tonight but by the time I got done cooking, eating and opening presents with the kids I'm just exhausted and would just fall asleep if I sat to watch it.

Been looking forward to Soul for a while now. Glad it is reviewing well.

I should have done this. Tried to watch and missed the middle of the movie because I passed out. What I did see was great though.

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing score by Reznor, Ross and Batiste. Very glad I watched on my TV with speakers etc.

I'll have to go read other people's takes, but I wonder if the abacus is a deliberate nod like the boot was in Wall-e. And Terry, dependent on her (his?) abacus, was the full realization of conflating one's spark/obsession with one's purpose.

Not sure if liked joe though, he was pretty much a narcissist kind of a asshole too
I think that was the point. But he redeems himself and changes, so he becomes sympathetic again by the end.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Film was great. It had a definite voice and told a charming story.

Better than that last few Pixar films. Toy Story 4 was okay, but Onward was completely forgettable.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Ending kind of reminded me of Stranger Than Fiction in a way.

In that it's better than the more obvious ending, even though it's less satisfying, because it's also less cynical. And movies are way too cynical these days.

Oct 25, 2017
Okay yeah, I'm in love.

I think that could have been closure for the audience, but not for Joe. He finally realizes he'd been looking at life all wrong and...tough shit, he's dead. So I was OK with that.

As for him being "the first in centuries",
a) he did break through the wall somehow, so others may have tried and failed
b) he wasn't fully dead on Earth so his body was "in a holding pattern" like other apparent mentors

I think I'm forgetting a detail...? Suddenly I can't reconcile this.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
I think that could have been closure for the audience, but not for Joe. He finally realizes he'd been looking at life all wrong and...tough shit, he's dead. So I was OK with that.

As for him being "the first in centuries",
a) he did break through the wall somehow, so others may have tried and failed
b) he wasn't fully dead on Earth so his body was "in a holding pattern" like other apparent mentors

I think I'm forgetting a detail...? Suddenly I can't reconcile this.
Terry said he hasn't miscounted in what was it 159 years? So others have slipped through before.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This movie had all the right ingredients to be perfect, but I guess my expectations were too high. All in all it's still really good, but has room for improvement, especially the ending.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was alright. Most of my family didn't like it, and the kids in the family did not make it till the end. Either got bored and walked away or fell asleep.

Oct 25, 2017
Terry said he hasn't miscounted in what was it 159 years? So others have slipped through before.
Yeah that's why I quoted Jerry saying "first in centuries", but I was more addressing the idea that there would be tons of people who would try to get back -- ie, yes there would be, but maybe it was a rare fluke that Joe made it through the wall.

What confuses me is that I don't get how the other mentors end up in the You Seminar. They're in a holding pattern, right? Isn't Joe also in a holding pattern? So shouldn't he have gone there right away, rather than being a rare statistical anomaly / escape? And if he's not in a holding pattern, and truly doesn't belong there, then how does one qualify to be a mentor -properly-? I'm either forgetting something or I missed it in the first place.

So you either didn't watch it. Or you clearly hate Disney so why the heck did you watch it?
Sidepoint but hating Disney does not necessarily preclude someone from watching their movies. I hate Disney, but unfortunately they've swallowed up some very talented people and studios over the years.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Soul is a film that made me believe again in Pixar after a couple of sequels and mediocre originals. Toy Story 4 was, I think, as good as it could've been for part 4 to a trilogy, and Onward felt more like a Dreamworks, and they haven't made terrible movies outside of The Good Dinosaur lately, but I was hoping we would get something like Soul again.

It really resonated with me, and maybe that will make the difference between people calling this "great" while others just "good or ok", so that's valid. But I think it's great for many reasons and not just a relevant theme for a large audience.

The animation is incredible, along with the music, the message, its themes, humor, the voice work, and the effort put into portraying the black community in New York put it right there with Inside Out, UP, Wall-E and other greats. The plot, at least for me, doesn't lag at all in the middle. Someone called the plot with the cat something out of a bad Dreamworks movie while at the same time complaining about the "obsession with metaphysical themes," but that is straight up wrong and not at all a coherent argument.

Also, as a Mexican, I have a soft spot for Coco, but I can't really say that it's better than Soul or many of my top 5 Pixar movies (I've seen it compared to Coco already several times today).

Soul's respect for the AA community in America is a plus, but it works just as well without it, while Coco's script and story are very dependent on its uniqueness as a representation of Mexican folklore and culture. It stumbles a bit when trying to tie the world it's created with its message. It actually attempts to teach a lot of the same things as Soul, but doesn't quite manage it. Coco basically solves the main character's desire of playing music by solving the mystery of his great-great-grandfather's death, as it allows his family to love music again, but he doesn't actually doesn't grow much from his adventure. He just learns who his actual ancestor was, and that allows him to reverse the family's ban on music.

Here in Soul, you get a unique and touching message about the importance of enjoying life without obsessing over your "purpose" or passion (I love the valley of the lost souls and how it actually serves as a warning against making your passion an obsession that distracts you from living), and that is ultimately realized thanks to the lessons Joe learns from 22, the soul that doesn't want to live because it doesn't really want to live for just one single thing, like it thinks it should. Joe and 22 are at both extremes at first, with Joe wanting to live at all cost and 22 not interested in living, but they both realize they think living is about just one purpose of gift, when in reality, there are many things that can give you purpose and that "spark."

So, all in all, I give this movie mega-props for successfully telling its message and its themes, much like how Inside Out's message of growing emotionally by accepting complex feelings was very well realized.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to watch yesterday, but Disney+ is not loading at all for me. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What an incredible movie, holy shit. Absolutely charming.

I wish we had just a little more extrapolation at the very end, but that's like asking for a little more whipped cream on an incredible sundae

I can't believe I got to finish off Christmas with such an original gem of a movie

Oct 30, 2017
Beautiful to look at, fantastically well made, great message, but I think it wasn't as funny as I'd have liked, and a little sluggish.
overall excellent though,with an amazing score and voice acting.
best Pixar and Disney animated in years.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm afraid to watch this because it's another CG animated movie where they turn the black guy into some weird mascot like in Spies in Disguise. And I'm hearing he's voiced by Tina Fey for most of the movie? Plus I'm kind of cooled on Pixar after Toy Story 4, which was fine, and walking out on Coco, which was eh.

Last edited:

D23

Oct 25, 2017
Wow im speechless.

this movie is beautiful. I loved everything about it. This is hands down one of pixars best movie... a masterpiece