• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I just watched Soul and loved it.

I saw Onward back in October and really enjoyed it but out of the two films - Soul is the better film.

Love the visuals, the music and the themes/story used.

Like others I am shocked that Trent Reznor made the soundtrack - I love NIN and the soundtrack is great in this movie too.

I havent seen Inside out or Up - need to watch those two next.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Funny you say that but there's like a bunch of people here saying "omgz I cried so much"

(honestly I don't know what anyone was crying about)

If you want some examples:

I cried when Joe first sees his life and it is just full of bland moments. It hit me that for most of us, we all live these inconsequential lives filled with mundane moments and it hurts to be faced with that reality.

The second time I cried was when Joe thinks back on the moments 22 lived and his own life, realizing it was the slow and simple moments that really made it worth living, not some dream he's always chased.

The third time I cried was when Joe and 22 reconcile and he makes the jump with 22.

I thought these were the three core emotional moments of the film and they do a good job to build up the "conflict", the climax, and the resolution.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Easily one of my favorite Pixar movie of all time. Probably only Wall-E takes the crown for me and Soul is a close second.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
I watched it before the movie like when I go to the cinema to watch a Pixar movie.

I liked Burrow. I loved its 2D animation, reminding me a lot to the Benjamin Renner animation films (Ernest & Celestine and Big Bad Fox)
Yeah I was going to watch it before but it actually played really well after the movie. I really liked it a lot.Love that they're doing more 2D animation stuff. I forget if Kitbull was Pixar or Disney tho.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Side note: Was Burrow that also went up on Disney plus alongside Soul supposed to be the short film that would've played alongside it in the cinema?

Well regardless, everyone should watch it as well, the art style is tops
edit: hah, great minds ^

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Loved it! But I want to know
what kind of life 22 ended up with! It looked like they were on their way to Mongolia.
Maybe we'll get a short about that.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand how they are able to create these on a technical and artistic level. That applies to even the worst Pixar movies. It's so good it's actually immersion breaking to me.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Loved it! But I want to know
what kind of life 22 ended up with! It looked like they were on their way to Mongolia.
Maybe we'll get a short about that.
Not gonna lie, my immediate thought was "sure would suck if they were born straight into poverty after all that"

Leave me to take the wonder out of the scene

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, it's amazing just how pretty this movie is. I was constantly wowed by the details and animations.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
So if Inside Out left me sobbing for hours after leaving the theater, I expect this will likely make me have a good cry?

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished this movie, and it was amazing. I've been psyched for it ever since I first read the premise when it was announced, so I was worried I may set unrealistic expectations for it, but it delivered.

A very good, positive message that I think a lot of people need to hear, delivered in true Pixar fashion. I do think you need to be quite a bit older than usual to truly appreciate this one, since it deals with issues that mostly come up when you kick off into adult life.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
So if Inside Out left me sobbing for hours after leaving the theater, I expect this will likely make me have a good cry?
I didn't cry during this, but I did tear up in IO and even Toy Story 4. It's still somber and perhaps tear jerking at times, but I wouldn't say it'll leave you sobbing. Still got the Pixar touch, though.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished it...AMAZING MOVIE....so so good. The detail of New York City was so impressive.

My only complaint is...HOW THEY GONNA DO THE KNICKS LIKE THAT!?!?!?!😭😭😭 Even Disney is getting in on the fun! My sister straight up hollered at my out burst.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Loved it...
I don't think that message would be contradicted, however, by Joe redoubling his enjoyment of being a teacher at the end. His character starts out wanting something other than what he currently has, attains it, and then realises it doesn't bring him satisfaction because he was doing what he enjoyed all along. I think the film understandably wants to complicate this somewhat, but the result is that Joe's character is much less clearly defined IMO.

I think that's the point.

It goes beyond just that. Is Joe happiest being a teacher? IDK, but it's clear he doesn't think it's what he "was born for". That's kinda his lesson, he's in love with the thought that you are "born to do" something and is self absorbed and hyper focused on his passion in life. He thinks the Barber was "born to cut hair" because he's great at it but that was never the man's passion growing up. He was dealt a hand in life and had to make a decision to take care of his family instead of putting his Vet dreams in front of them ... that's it. He was able to find enjoyment in some aspects of it and he's good at it but it was never his dream.

That's kinda the message, that ... that's life. Your life isn't meaningless because you didn't reach a goal you set for yourself like being a professional/ famed Jazz player, your life didn't "amount to nothing" because you didn't achieve your childhood dreams. That's what I took away from the big "... That's it?" moment. He was happy, it was a great set and he did clearly enjoy it. He had finally took the "first step" in living his life! RIGHT!?! But no ... no great weight was lifted, no new clarity, no god like eureka moment. He didn't enter a new state of being, it was just a job in the end. He could either decide to do the job or not. It wasn't his meaning in life, it didn't change anything.

Life doesn't have a meaning, you just live it. For all his hyper focus on his own dream he was blind to the meaningful impact he was having on those around him. At least 1 past student turned into a professional Jazz musician because of him (and still looks up to him some 10+ years later) and possibly the young band girl may do the same ... or she wont, but her interest in playing this instrument is helping her get through these shitty Highschool years. He seems to be a good teacher even if he didn't think too highly of the profession and he's helping people even if he doesn't realize the impact he's having on them.

So again, does he now think that he should be a teacher? Is he going to play Jazz? Who knows (he'll prob in up on the teacher route as he was technically let off the hook from having to travel with the band annnnd he got a full-time position) but regardless of which path he takes he can now find enjoyment in it because you're born to live and life is full of all kinds of joys and wonders that you can find happiness in ... so he doesn't have to feel like he's only here for one thing.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it...AMAZING MOVIE....so so good. The detail of New York City was so impressive.

My only complaint is...HOW THEY GONNA DO THE KNICKS LIKE THAT!?!?!?!😭😭😭 Even Disney is getting in on the fun! My sister straight up hollered at my out burst.

Lol In my mind the movie originated with that idea, making the movie the worlds most expensive/elaborate Knicks joke.

Last edited:

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched and it was a great film.

Is it just me really let down by the ending? What happened to 22? (I know, a baby. But still) and how's the cat doing? Did Graham Norton die? Just zero closure.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
Just watched and it was a great film.

Is it just me really let down by the ending? What happened to 22? (I know, a baby. But still) and how's the cat doing? Did Graham Norton die? Just zero closure.

We see the cat going back to its owner after Joe wakes up. Norton's character didn't die, we see him snapping back to reality and dropping the sign after the ship goes down.

noodlesoup

Feb 21, 2018
Chicago, IL
Fantastic movie. Almost cried at the end due to how I thought it would go but I was left happy. Seems like this movie won't click for everyone, but it certainly did for me.

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched this with my flatmates; loved it! Considering the themes, I'm not surprised that this reminds me of Coco. I tired up multiple times. Fantastic movie

Oni_J

Oct 28, 2017
Loved every second of it, and fell in love with the Souls designs, had to make myself!
I also feel like trying again to learn how to play my midi keyboard!

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I thoroughly enjoyed it until
the ending scene where it just gives Joe a second chance which kinda softens the impact of him giving up his life for 22.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
Loved it...

I think that's the point.

It goes beyond just that. Is Joe happiest being a teacher? IDK, but it's clear he doesn't think it's what he "was born for". That's kinda his lesson, he's in love with the thought that you are "born to do" something and is self absorbed and hyper focused on his passion in life. He thinks the Barber was "born to cut hair" because he's great at it but that was never the man's passion growing up. He was dealt a hand in life and had to make a decision to take care of his family instead of putting his Vet dreams in front of them ... that's it. He was able to find enjoyment in some aspects of it and he's good at it but it was never his dream.

That's kinda the message, that ... that's life. Your life isn't meaningless because you didn't reach a goal you set for yourself like being a professional/ famed Jazz player, your life didn't "amount to nothing" because you didn't achieve your childhood dreams. That's what I took away from the big "... That's it?" moment. He was happy, it was a great set and he did clearly enjoy it. He had finally took the "first step" in living his life! RIGHT!?! But no ... no great weight was lifted, no new clarity, no god like eureka moment. He didn't enter a new state of being, it was just a job in the end. He could either decide to do the job or not. It wasn't his meaning in life, it didn't change anything.

Life doesn't have a meaning, you just live it. For all his hyper focus on his own dream he was blind to the meaningful impact he was having on those around him. At least 1 past student turned into a professional Jazz musician because of him (and still looks up to him some 10+ years later) and possibly the young band girl may do the same ... or she wont, but her interest in playing this instrument is helping her get through these shitty Highschool years. He seems to be a good teacher even if he didn't think too highly of the profession and he's helping people even if he doesn't realize the impact he's having on them.

So again, does he now think that he should be a teacher? Is he going to play Jazz? Who knows (he'll prob in up on the teacher route as he was technically let off the hook from having to travel with the band annnnd he got a full-time position) but regardless of which path he takes he can now find enjoyment in it because you're born to live and life is full of all kinds of joys and wonders that you can find happiness in ... so he doesn't have to feel like he's only here for one thing.

I agree that that is the likely intention of the film, but I don't think it is sufficiently set up earlier on in the film. In fact, I think that message is complicated by it suggesting that Joe had a life-long dream of being a "great" musician - IMO, it would more clearly articulate that point if it showed Joe loving teaching with no other goals but still with a feeling of him missing something perhaps because he had no such greater ambition.

Jun 20, 2018
I've stopped watching trailers and reading reviews for movies, so wasn't really sure what to expect. As in, I knew nothing about it other than the name and the fact it had a black lead character. Once the initial set up got established, I got really excited about it being another Inside Out. Then I hit a point where I was like, this is good, but it's not up there with Inside Out, before coming out at the end, no longer trying to compare it to Inside Out, and realising it was really well done. Definitely in Pixar's top 50%

Oct 25, 2017
If you want some examples:

I cried when Joe first sees his life and it is just full of bland moments. It hit me that for most of us, we all live these inconsequential lives filled with mundane moments and it hurts to be faced with that reality.

The second time I cried was when Joe thinks back on the moments 22 lived and his own life, realizing it was the slow and simple moments that really made it worth living, not some dream he's always chased.

The third time I cried was when Joe and 22 reconcile and he makes the jump with 22.

I thought these were the three core emotional moments of the film and they do a good job to build up the "conflict", the climax, and the resolution.

I think those didn't land as hard for me because it felt obvious this is what they were going for, and not to get deep with shit but they're internal and emotional struggles i deal with often. The movie is not bad, but it just was needing something to punch it up a bit and make the story a bit more. This is for me though, not trying to bring down the movie as a whole.

Haxik

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question for something near the end:

When Joe is alive, after the show at the bar, he goes to his apartment and plays the piano inspired by the ordinary things that 22 got. And he gets in that creative flow that Astro and the others explained him at the beginning. And in that moment, he "jumps" into the other dimension in a similar manner that Astro and the others. But....how and when he dies again? After he jumps with 22, he's again at the stairs and one of the Jerrys explains that he has earned another chance at living. Why is that? Astro and the others don't die when they are in that dimension and, in fact, is clearly seen that when Astro gets buried with his ship, his "real body" is totally ok on the earth