• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're not screening for malicious code. It's literally a way to make sure code is build a special way and that you sent it to them. Our releases at work get notarized in less than a minute. Any scan for "malicious code" that is that fast is no more effective than some local anti-virus software.

It could actually hurt security more than it helps because old and tested libraries might end up being replaced by something not as reliable because they aren't built in a way that can be notarized, or are 32-bit only.

This is purely a way to make sure you can't release any software without paying hundreds of dollars a year for an Apple developer account. They're trying to close up the macOS ecosystem like iOS. And for lots of indie devs, it's becoming not worth it to support it.

To give a gaming comparison, apple signing is basically the modern equivalent of this:

Original_Nintendo_Seal_of_Quality_%28European%29_%28Custom%29.jpg

latest

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
As somebody who prefers to play smaller PC releases natively on the Mac when they're available (and up to this point, most of them were)—it's a matter of personal convenience—you can't imagine how relieved I am that most of that ecosystem also migrated to the Switch within the past year or two.

The 32-bit transition had to happen sometime, but the incompatibility horizon introduced by Catalina is a problem to the point that publishers have been delisting Mac ports from storefronts, even for those of us staying on Mojave for the 32-bit support. I've been combing through a lot of older Steam listings due to the giveaways thread, and it's staggering how many titles used to have cross-buy/SteamPlay support but don't any longer, because Aspyr and Feral don't want to sell 32-bit-only software to post-Catalina users who can't play it (for obvious reasons), nor do they want to go back to maintain it.

Apple has never had a clue about games on Mac. It used to be that we could blame this on a blind spot of Steve Jobs', because what Jobs doesn't see, Apple doesn't do. But they're well out of excuses by now. And it's clear that the move from OpenGL to Metal (another thing they needed to do but put off far too long) didn't do the job they wanted, of having the viability of Mac games piggyback off the popularity of developing for iOS. Among the big players, it's only really Blizzard building Metal engines for their back catalogue.

The next big incompatibility horizon, of course, will be when Apple migrates the Mac as well off Intel chips and to their own in-house processors, as has been rumoured for a while now. Getting on the Intel architecture was what permitted so much of the PC/Mac synergy on the games side to begin with in the late 2000s and early 2010s, so you can bet on this as the final death blow.

It's not an environment developers can trust, and even as someone who prefers to play on the native Mac side, I wouldn't fault anyone for pulling out.

This is true. The whole lifespan of Mojave has acted as a transition period. The 32-bit cutoff mostly affects back catalogues, not new releases. The same goes for the Metal transition, which happened years ago.

The general issue, though, is a lack of trust in the stability of the release environment, when independent game projects can take years to roll out. And also the sense that Apple is continuing to shove macOS towards a black-boxed, mobile-like future. This affects a lot more niche development than just games.

I think people just overlook what macOS is still around, and why people still make apps: because per customer, apple users still spend a ton more money (at least, the last time I saw this metric is was significantly more than any other platform). I think its even higher for iOS.

But I agree that Apple has been horrible for game dev, and missed many huge opportunities, at least on desktop.

Apple has gone through full os architecture change (os9 -> os10), full hardware architecture change (powerPC -> Intel), and so on - this is nothing new to the platform, as disruptive as it is.

And honestly the transition to allowing iOS games on mac will bring everything full circle, and then you only have to release for "one" platform.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anything going by those screencaps and the discussion in here, it reads to me like it was just the final straw for a number of developers.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's hilarious is this kind of sentiment has happened an ungodly # of times in Apple's history, yet somehow they still exist.
This is pretty disinengous because it ignores a lot of the nuance of their transitions. The first major transition Apple did was from M68000 to Power PC, and that nearly destroyed the company. Their marketshare eroded to the point where it was lowest in company history, and an enormous factor was that they had adopted an unpopular architecture which made them the odd man out, while cutting off support for one of the most widely used CPUs at the time with tons and tons of support. People were rightfully upset that they suddenly lost access to lots of previously cross-platform applications.

The switch from OS9 to OSX was softened with "Classic OS" support, and more importantly it largely coincided with the switch from PowerPC to x86/x64. The "old" stuff they were leaving support for, was their least successful stuff in company history, and the "new" stuff they were adopting were the most in-line with industry standards that they'd been since a decade prior. They rebounded, precisely because supporting OSX, especially after they switched to x86, became much, much easier.

This isn't like a change from OS9 to OSX. This is more like a change from 68000 to PPC. They're becoming more insular, and the last time in company history they tried that, it really backfired. I personally don't think the switch to x64 exclusively has that big of an impact on software going forward, but everything else they've done recently (as in, the last several years) has made supporting OSX much more work than even supporting linux these days.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
It's an entirely different set of issues here.

Plus, Apple actually follows-through on deprecating stuff (the 32-bit and OpenGL vs Metal complaints), whereas Microsoft keeps around a general level of compatibility for stuff all the way back to Windows 95.

Windows has had a massive enterprise presence for decades which has caused MS to maintain compatibility layers through their OSes in order to support massive clients and slowly transition them to new updates. Apple doesn't have that anchor holding them back.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
This is pretty disinengous because it ignores a lot of the nuance of their transitions. The first major transition Apple did was from M68000 to Power PC, and that nearly destroyed the company. Their marketshare eroded to the point where it was lowest in company history, and an enormous factor was that they had adopted an unpopular architecture which made them the odd man out, while cutting off support for one of the most widely used CPUs at the time with tons and tons of support. People were rightfully upset that they suddenly lost access to lots of previously cross-platform applications.

The switch from OS9 to OSX was softened with "Classic OS" support, and more importantly it largely coincided with the switch from PowerPC to x86/x64. The "old" stuff they were leaving support for, was their least successful stuff in company history, and the "new" stuff they were adopting were the most in-line with industry standards that they'd been since a decade prior. They rebounded, precisely because supporting OSX, especially after they switched to x86, became much, much easier.

This isn't like a change from OS9 to OSX. This is more like a change from 68000 to PPC. They're becoming more insular, and the last time in company history they tried that, it really backfired. I personally don't think the switch to x64 exclusively has that big of an impact on software going forward, but everything else they've done recently (as in, the last several years) has made supporting OSX much more work than even supporting linux these days.

(I didnt want to derail the thread too much so I didnt go into details on the things they survived) The switch to PPC by itself wasn't the sole factor though. Remember they also somewhere in there licensed out to other hardware makers, and I think that was the realization that their OS was basically worthless (I mean, its worth a LOT as something people like to use on their hardware, but you can see clearly now that they no longer even bother charging for upgrades), and they were always a hardware company and needed to not lose the money from that.

I agree to a limited degree about the current changes overall, but I also dont have any projects that arent manageable by myself to deal with (and the one I have kept up to date since ios4 has gotten re-written from obj-c to swift, and tons of updates every time apple releases a new os version of swift)

Honestly, Apple's moves are the same ones MS wants to make - lower the cost to support the OS to themselves and people who use it. If that equals a pita for devs, they just have to weigh if they want the money the platform offers.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
(I didnt want to derail the thread too much so I didnt go into details on the things they survived) The switch to PPC by itself wasn't the sole factor though. Remember they also somewhere in there licensed out to other hardware makers, and I think that was the realization that their OS was basically worthless (I mean, its worth a LOT as something people like to use on their hardware, but you can see clearly now that they no longer even bother charging for upgrades), and they were always a hardware company and needed to not lose the money from that.

I agree with this, and also their realization that Classic MacOS really had become "worthless" way, way before they switched to OSX. As big of an improvement as OS7 and 8 (and how "complete" OS9 was) they were monolithic dinosaurs in a multitasking world. I think that, more than anything else, is why the OS9 to OSX transition was so smooth. Not only that, but OSX made apple much more unix-like, which was more familiar (if only slightly) and more modern kernel. They were changes that devs were basically begging for.

Oct 25, 2017
Apple doesn't and has never given a shit about developers. They "invent" something, devs gold-rush, they take 30% for doing nothing but monopolizing the platform. They don't care about software, gaming, music, or video, it's all a revenue stream they can tax with minimal input.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Apple doesn't and has never given a shit about developers. They "invent" something, devs gold-rush, they take 30% for doing nothing but monopolizing the platform. They don't care about software, gaming, music, or video, it's all a revenue stream they can tax with minimal input.

Eh, I think thats a little harsh. Without devs, and apps, they have no platform.

There is now the reality that "web" is a platform by itself, but if that was enough, chromebooks would be a way more successful product.

And really, they cant monopolize something when theres not any competition, let me elaborate:

Apple makes the hardware, and they make the OS and tools to make software for that platform. They aren't an open platform hardware or software.

MS and Linux are just software. Theres still a desire to make a platform for apps so people buy/use their software. But at the core, MS could stop making windows hardware and be 100% fine. Apple would die overnight.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Been a Mac user for probably 20 years and I have to wonder who actually plays games on their Mac?

If you are even remotely interested in gaming and are a Mac user you either installed Windows via Bootcamp, game on a console instead or have a dedicated gaming PC.

I don't know a single person who actually plays games on their Mac anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mac user. Have to concur. My Mac is for web browsing and that kind of stuff.I have a gaming pc and consoles for my gaming needs. I don't even like to game in the room my mac is in (my bedroom) and if I do my handhelds are better cause I can play in bed.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I know this is a gaming thread, but the thing I hate the most about apple (and I am typing this in a MacBook Pro) is that they completely abandoned the idea of professional users and most likely will never enter enterprise anymore. I used to dream that one day Apple would be a huge competitor of Microsoft in the workplace, that they would update their iWork app to be as robust as Office, and that companies would decide (slowly) to switch to Macs.

But today is like "Hey! The new MacOS has a new emoji bar!" I mean, they are downgrading MacOS to be a glorified iOS software, when at the beginning go iPhone, they seem to be going the opposite way (make the iPhone more like a Mac OS X)

A Mac is slowly becoming useless in every way! Apple now seems to be forcing the iPad and iPhone for the future, but the problem with that is that that is a mediocre solution. Is not as robust as it should be. They are focusing too much in casual usage.

This is such a weird post to read when I work in a Fortune 500 company in IT and see more Macs around the office than ever before. Developers across the organization have been switching to Macs in droves.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone detail the app signing requirement to me? Is it still going to be possible to distribute unsigned binaries? Are they making it more inconvenient to run unsigned apps?

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting time to post, given that there's going to be more revenue going to indie devs through Apple Arcade on macOS in the next year than there has been in the entire macOS gaming ecosystem in the last half-decade combined.

Sucks for really small time devs who just want to tinker around a little bit or make quick and dirty ports, I suppose.

Can someone detail the app signing requirement to me? Is it still going to be possible to distribute unsigned binaries? Are they making it more inconvenient to run unsigned apps?

Notarization is required by default, but it can be overridden by the end-user on an app-by-app basis (or at least that was the case in earlier betas).

Last edited:

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
This is such a weird post to read when I work in a Fortune 500 company in IT and see more Macs around the office than ever before. Developers across the organization have been switching to Macs in droves.

hell, i've had windows only clients buy all macbook pros to run windows on, never to touch macos

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
User Warned: Drive-by low effort post.
Apple's approach towards marketing, pricing, software curation, and product design has been offputting (and sometimes outright gross) and arrogant, this isn't surprising really.

Last edited:

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
This post is slightly misleading. A good comment from Hacker News:

tl;dr Apple has been giving warnings for years that this would happen.

I read that and feel that it says a whole bunch of nothing.

Original Poster: "Im really dissatisfied with how things are on this platform right now"

Your post: "Yeah well, you were warned!"

Uhh okay? That fixes, or even addresses what exactly? The first paragraph tells the OP they shouldn't care about something they do care about (32 bit support) and the second sentence tells them to suck it up and deal with Notorizing . Like... literally just tells dude to "dealwithit.jpeg".

How the hell is any of that helpful at all. It's barely even an actual opinion. It's a big ass post that basically tells the person: "So...."

That's a comment from someone who wasn't even paying attention to what they were responding to.

THANK YOU! Glad someone else noticed. Its like they didn't even try to read what they were responding to before writing that. LOL @ people claiming its a better post than the actual OP. Ridiculous.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Apple would still have to support/QA 32-bit, which is a) an inefficient use of resources, especially since new hardware cycles will have the power to support 64-bit and b) it serves as a kick in the butt for developers to improve their software, which is good for both devs and users. (which is exactly what happened with the forced iOS 32-bit depreciation)
This implies that every developer is even around to get their butt kicked. They could be bankrupt. They could be dead. There are a myriad perfectly valid reasons for someone to still be running 32 bit programs. Imagine if Microsoft did something like this, the backlash would be incredible.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This implies that every developer is even around to get their butt kicked. They could be bankrupt. They could be dead. There are a myriad perfectly valid reasons for someone to still be running 32 bit programs. Imagine if Microsoft did something like this, the backlash would be incredible.
god I wish Microsoft would finally cut off all the legacy garbage they still support to get rid of some of the bloat. like 32bit programs.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
god I wish Microsoft would finally cut off all the legacy garbage they still support to get rid of some of the bloat. like 32bit programs.
Microsoft for some time was making a push to a UWP program only kernel that would emulate Win32 API for enterprise use, but it died along with the Microsoft store push of UWP from unknown factors. Angry users of all types thinking such an idea is bad or would make them switch OS? The increasing power of Valve's Linux funding building a platform that could gut punch Windows if they dared to tread on them? Exec changes resulting in mothballing the project? Poor sales numbers on the Microsoft Store?

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Are there really many macos users left who are interested in video games who don't have a boot camp partition?

Yes. I don't want to run Windows ever again. Most of what I play on a desktop system are indie games and games from medium-sized studios like Amplitude. There's no shortage of those games on the Mac. For the last few years the upper range of game ports saw a decline because Macs were shipping with shit 3D cards. But now that eGPUs are supported, I'm hopeful that will change. But really, most of what I play on the Mac doesn't require high-end graphics cards.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
It's a fucking shameless cash grab.
Funny thing is, the verification on the binaries is only added when you download the binary through Safari. If you get through Chrome or directly, the unnotarized binary would run.
This "security" benefit is a joke.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Killing 32 bits sucks in terms of losing old software but shouldn't be an issue for everything new.

Regarding the notorization, it sucks. It will kill small and experimental games in the platform. Everyone making hobbyist games in Unity and exporting them to every platform will now have to pay 100 bucks to Apple to do it. Why would they? It really sucks.

edit: unless being a unity game saves them since unity itself is notorized. But I doubt that's the case.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been trying to make my own games recently too and it's been hard because of the way they do it. So I'm basically only going to release on Google play store.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The switch from 68k to PowerPC was necessary, as 68k was at a dead end. The 050 had been scrapped, and the 060 was released after the PPC debuted. Apple was involved with PPC, so they could have some influence on its direction. Unfortunately for Apple, IBM was the brains of the operation and couldn't get the G5 small and cool enough for Apple's needs, and they had to switch architectures again. But the switch to x86 worked out very well in the long run.

I agree with this, and also their realization that Classic MacOS really had become "worthless" way, way before they switched to OSX.
That's an understatement. "Copland" (intended to be OS 8, and never released) was one of the biggest software development disasters of all time. On par with Microsoft's "Longhorn". What was eventually released as OS 8 and OS 9 were basically crutches for "Classic" Mac OS.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Most of these complaints sound like things that would apply to releasing on any platform that isn't your main one? Its like complaining you need a PS4 dev kit to make PS4 games when your main platform is Xbox.

Also is this specifically referring to getting stuff on the Mac App Store? Because I'm pretty sure you could just sell your app however you want without getting it 'notarised'. Or put it on itch or steam. If it isn't worth a $100 a year license to release it on the Mac App Store, why even bother?

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
apple's stupid 100 dollar dev subscription is such an annoying, bullshit, hurdle
i recently started dinking around with mobile dev for the first time, using a cross platform framework, and i can't test push notifications on the ios builds of my app because apple doesn't let your app receive push notifications unless you pay them 100 dollars...
jerkoffmotion.gif

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I've been long disappointed in apple since they killed the OpenCL future they promised. They never even released a usable OpenCL driver.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Yup, was in a meeting yesterday with about 12 people and everyone except 1 person was using a 15" MacBook Pro. Also not to mention they introduced the iMac Pro and are about to release the Mac Pro (and Pro Display) aimed at the very high end professional. Maybe they lost focus for awhile, but I feel like the newer Pro hardware is very pro focused. Still not for gaming though.

Deleted member 13148

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most of these complaints sound like things that would apply to releasing on any platform that isn't your main one? Its like complaining you need a PS4 dev kit to make PS4 games when your main platform is Xbox.

Also is this specifically referring to getting stuff on the Mac App Store? Because I'm pretty sure you could just sell your app however you want without getting it 'notarised'. Or put it on itch or steam. If it isn't worth a $100 a year license to release it on the Mac App Store, why even bother?
This is for a game that will likely only ever be released on PCs, and Linux does not have the same hurdles as MacOS, though a Linux release is unlikely since it wouldn't have enough of a market there to justify the cost, and it runs perfectly fine under Wine / Steam Proton.

Starting with Catalina, notarization will be required for all apps not distributed through the App Store. Notarization is not required for Mac App Store distribution, but there's little reason for him to release his game there.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I don't want to run Windows ever again. Most of what I play on a desktop system are indie games and games from medium-sized studios like Amplitude. There's no shortage of those games on the Mac. For the last few years the upper range of game ports saw a decline because Macs were shipping with shit 3D cards. But now that eGPUs are supported, I'm hopeful that will change. But really, most of what I play on the Mac doesn't require high-end graphics cards.

to each their own. I just think most people who are familiar with these ecosystems have known for quite some time that MacOS ecosystem is not really a viable gaming platform (short of openemu, but even that is just a nicely packaged multiple emulator). I've always viewed Apple's continued inclusion of boot camp as a tacit admission of this.

also booting into windows on an internal SSD takes basically no time, for real. Then all games can go in an external drives. Obviously I'm talking more about a desktop setup

Last edited:

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I have a Steam library of like 150 games which I never play, mainly because my 2011 MacBook Pro screams in agony whenever I try to play anything remotely intensive in recent years. The fact that it seems the vast majority of Macs are laptops makes this a big issue for Mac gaming. PC gamers tend to have a chunky tower setup, on the other hand.
PC laptops, especially gaming ones have made huge strides in the past 5 years. it's pretty damn easy/cheap to get a pc laptop that doesnt look like a space ship and plays most games on reasonable settings.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
to each their own. I just think most people who are familiar with these ecosystems have known for quite some time that MacOS ecosystem is not really a viable gaming platform (short of openemu, but even that is just a nicely packaged multiple emulator). I've always viewed Apple's continued inclusion as a tacit admission of this.

What constitutes a "viable" gaming platform? That it can run the latest AAA games? As I was saying, the Mac is perfectly viable to me as a platform for small-to-medium sized games.

I agree that notarization sucks though. It's only going to adversely affect indie devs, and indie devs are what have always made the Mac ecosystem great. Apple is really not seeing the forest for the trees on this.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

What you consider "bloat" is what helps keep windows used as such a high level in the enterprise sector. Hell, I wish they still had 16-bit WoW support in the 64 bit version.

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017
This is for a game that will likely only ever be released on PCs, and Linux does not have the same hurdles as MacOS, though a Linux release is unlikely since it wouldn't have enough of a market there to justify the cost, and it runs perfectly fine under Wine / Steam Proton.
Honestly it runs like it's native through Proton. No weirdness whatsoever.

MoonScented

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you can't afford $99 a year are you even a serious developer? For my personal local business I spend $250+ a month on advertising and I doubt I bring home anywhere near as much as even indie developers.
They don't wanna pay the cost of doing business, then don't do it.

I'll keep loving my iPhone and iMac because they're great products that never let me down.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
What constitutes a "viable" gaming platform? That it can run the latest AAA games? As I was saying, the Mac is perfectly viable to me as a platform for small-to-medium sized games.

As I said in my previous post, to each his/her own. MacOS meets your needs as a gaming platform. Great.

But it has nothing to do with the "latest" AAA games. Many, many, many games - from all eras - have no MacOS version made for them and an extremely small number of games are MacOS exclusive (Apple Arcade is opening this field up a bit, but it's miniscule). The situation is about equally bad for reasonable emulation. So I feel like it is a bit disingenuous to be suggesting that a majority of players would not feel it's very viable as a platform.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

Depends on the industry and what software they need.

Devs often switch this MacOS in part because they have to to develop for Apple's platforms.

Macs are still PCs (for now). That comes with the expectation that you can do what you want with them. Naturally not everyone is gonna be happy when options are taken away.

Consoles have been locked down systems for a long time, so the expectation isn't there.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
This post is slightly misleading. A good comment from Hacker News:

tl;dr Apple has been giving warnings for years that this would happen.
It's not so much about issues for new development as it is about stability. Especially with the non-zero chance that Apple just decides all Macs are ARM now any year now. Games tend to have pretty long development cycles and have a lot of trouble justifying indefinite development support after release for every time Apple decides to pull the rug out from under them (let's not forget that even OpenGL support is deprecated). When it becomes such a near certainty that you'll be put in the position where you need to either update your game to comply with one of Apple's mandates or remove it from sale at some point in the not too far off future, I can see why a lot of developers might just decide to not support the platform in the first place.