• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm always reminded of how much i love 64,Sunshine and Odyssey. I started to feel like this place likes to shit on these games for what to me at-least seem completely nonsensical reasons. For real there are people who think that Odyssey doesn't have hand-crafted level design. It's only slightly less extreme version of the "BOTW is auto generated" opinion. Now don't get me wrong these games have some rough edges at times, but that's a pretty miniscule thing to complain about when you master these games. I mean what other Mario games have a skill-ceiling like 64/Sunshine and Odyssey?

Just look at this.

Playing these 3D Mario games is just so satisfying at times that no other 3D platformer really scratches that itch. I mean i would take that platforming section over anything in 3D World. You just can't reach that level of play in that game or even in the Galaxy games. Sunshine just controls so well and is so incredibly tight that my biggest complaint with the game is that there isn't enough of it. On a mechanical front these three games still put most 3D platformers to shame. The best way i can describe the flow of these titles is, that it's like when you master a Donkey Kong Country stage, and you are able to effortlessly traverse it in a blaze of glory. Except in the case of these sandbox Mario games, the entire game feels like a single stage.

Point is Sandbox Mario games are incredible and well worth anyone's time who likes good gameplay in a 3D platformer.

Last edited:

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
A lot of the level design is downright terrible, the camera is abysmal, it's glitchy, and it runs at 30FPS for basically no good reason.

Not a terrible game, but it's the worst mainline game imo (at least with a "relative for the time" clause)

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Like 64 I think it's pretty good when you're not fighting with the camera, but you have to fight with the camera often enough that it's hard to get a good enough feel for the game to pull off some of these more elaborate maneuvers.

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, it's absolutely fantastic. I feel like most people on here would agree, though.

personal note: Odyssey is the best sandbox Mario.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is AMAZING.

I think it's much better than it seems people give it credit for, but it's pretty middle of the road.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
OP you're goddamn right, it is the best 3D Mario game alongside Mario 64. More satisfying gameplay and overall better game than Odyssey for sure

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It really is

I hope Odyssey 2 takes inspiration from its difficulty and cohesive world

I want another Mario game all centered in one area where the levels are all parts of that same area like Isle Delfino

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This game gave me my ringtone since it came out so yeah its amazing. Its honestly second only to Odyssey in memorable missions for me and I don't understand why.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
The movement mechanics are good but the game itself is trash. The level and objective design are awful, Yoshi is poorly implemented, the FLUDD jetpack is required for way too many jumps later in the game, the collision is remarkably unpolished for a Mario game (see Pachinko level, holy fuck I can't believe that stage was released the way it was), and the final boss is one of the worst in any game. You have to ignore a lot to say that Sunshine is anywhere near good.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I usually like the games everybody else hates, but Sunshine is, for me, the worst 3D Mario ever :/

OP
OP

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The movement mechanics are good but the game itself is trash. The level and objective design are awful, Yoshi is poorly implemented, the FLUDD jetpack is required for way too many jumps later in the game, the collision is remarkably unpolished for a Mario game (see Pachinko level, holy fuck I can't believe that stage was released the way it was), and the final boss is one of the worst in any game. You have to ignore a lot to say that Sunshine is anywhere near good.

You can beat this entire game without using the hower a single time.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a very fun game, but it kinda falls apart because it was rushed. Comfortably the worst 3D Mario game ever made.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the level design is downright terrible, the camera is abysmal, it's glitchy, and it runs at 30FPS for basically no good reason.

Not a terrible game, but it's the worst mainline game imo (at least with a "relative for the time" clause)
Yeah, this is pretty much my opinion.

The FLUDD-less areas were the best part of the game, and when that accounts for like 5% of the game, well...

Sunshine felt very tedious, which isn't a feeling I got from any of the other 3D Mario games.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
it's a great game, just doesn't feel like a Mario game so I get why some people were disappointed

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Galaxy was a lot more open-ended than I think people give it credit for, at least once you have the purple comets out, but one thing that I think it has over Sunshine is that the game just, like, lets you just go right out and play the shorter, more-contrived secret stages seen in Sunshine straight from the hub area rather than have to traverse most of a level in order to reach it first.

Sunshine has some interesting moments but the whole is definitely less than the sum of its parts since things don't fit well together, and it's weird to even have Yoshi in a context where riding one is less powerful than the jetpack on your back. I agree with the posters saying that Yoshi just doesn't work in this game. (Also, why does the beach cannon in Pinna Park lead to a Yoshi-Island themed secret level and the yoshi-go-round lead to a sunflower-themed secret?)

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
i never got to finish it and only remember playing it as a rental when i was like 12 or so. I am still waiting for an HD remaster

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Fairly obvious it was rushed out and running out of water for FLUDD and crashing down the stage was frustrating. Some really awful voice acting too.

The FLUDDless levels are good stuff but Galaxy felt way smoother to control.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
You can beat this entire game without using the hower a single time.

Yeah, assuming that you can play like the guy in the Twitter clip you posted. Which I can't. I have a hard time imagining that most people here could either.

Sunshine gutted the long jump move for no reason which means that most players will have to hover over long gaps. Which is incredibly tedious and obnoxious in stages like Pianta Village where the gaps between the platforms are stretched as far as possible for no good reason.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finished the game last week and though was realy frustrated by the collision especially with Yoshi,I actually had fun with it. I especially adores the levels where FLUDD is removed. Those levels were as hardcore as one can get from a 3D platforming game.

I'm playing Galaxy now and disappointed by the linearity of the levels.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I felt Odyssey had tighter controls but I really missed a more consistent art style and theme, which Mario Sunshine absolutely nailed.

PixelsByNight

Apr 22, 2019
USA
While good, I'm hoping Nintendo gets on a remaster soon with all the cut out content. That first beach level with the Manta Ray still terrifies me.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
I've never witnessed games get constantly shat on so much like how people shat on Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker.
Years later everyone changed their mind about WW. for Mario Sunshine it went to "eh, it's not bad"

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I don't think it's very good at all, it really needed another 6-12 months to get it right, too many ideas & levels were left on the cutting room floor, along with a quick change to 30fps lock due to no time for optimisation, early demo's were 60fps.
Also the main gimmick isn't very fun & seems to be there not because it's good for gameplay, but because Nintendo wanted Gamecube to have a water theme due to it's codename Dolphin.

I will defend the secret levels though, they are very good & it reminds me of Sonic Unleashed's biggest flaw, why couldn't the whole game be the good part instead of the gimmick parts?

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
It's a good game, but it's also fairly janky at times and has some godawful levels.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
It's maybe not quite as bad as some people say, but it's still one of the worst Mario games ever released. Mario himself may control okay but the level design isn't great, it's weirdly buggy and has an awful camera, and so many aspects of the game feel unfinished. Did they ever talk about it being rushed for release?

It also has some of the worst sequences in the entire series, too. Eely-Mouth? Christ.

I also can't remember if it was the first mainline Nintendo game with voicework, but I remember it being something of a deal at the time and then that end product is...yikes.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
The ultimate Summer vacation game. I like to play it during the Winter months. Makes me feel all warm and cozy.