• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which dubs do you like ?

• English dub

Votes: 89 73.0%
  • French dub

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • German dub

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • French dub (native speaker)

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • German dub (native speaker)

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • English dub (native speaker)

Votes: 29 23.8%
  • None >:(

Votes: 7 5.7%

• Total voters

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
German Cloud is great. Barret is alright. Tifa and rebel girl sound pretty bad though.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
French native speaker here.
Unsurprisingly, I don't like the French dub. I mean nothing wrong with it per say but I can never play games in French.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In English:
- Cloud: "Look, I'm involved in things. Dangerous things."
- Aerith: "So?"
- Cloud: "So keep your distance."

In French (my translation)
- Cloud: "I should warn you... I know how to defend myself very well."
- Cloud: "I will not let anyone intimidate me."
true maybe its a translation of the japanese version (is there any?)
Both of these feel like they were translated from the same source... though with one completely missing the context and, by extension, mistranslating the text. Considering how inapproriate the French lines feel in that context, I'm going with the French localizers doing a bad job there. On the other hand, it makes complete sense for Cloud to say what he said in English to Aerith.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I checked both and I normally hate French dubs, but here I think found the French VA to be better. The English one is stilted and awkward as all hell. Tifa in French wasn't great but the others were better, especially Cloud.

Although.... what's with the opening lines being completely different?? 😕

In English:

????

lol I completely disagree... xD
Nowadays European localizations of Square games are done using the Japanese script as the source rather than using the US version. This means if the US localization decides to make some changes (or straight up makes a translation mistake) and the French or German ones don't make the same change (or mistake), you end up with noticeable differences.

OP
OP
Tribes of Trusty
Oct 27, 2017
Both of these feel like they were translated from the same source... though with one completely missing the context and, by extension, mistranslating the text. Considering how inapproriate the French lines feel in that context, I'm going with the French localizers doing a bad job there. On the other hand, it makes complete sense for Cloud to say what he said in English to Aerith.
Or it's because the whole dialogue is localized differently between French and English and so the excerpts do not line up and feel weird in the French dub.

Or the translators are doing a true hommage to FFVII's original release and making a horrible localization lol

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait what? In this case the French says the same thing as the English, Cloud just says it with more sarcasm. When he talks about defending himself from people intimidating him, he's referring to Aerith being cute with him not Shinra troops or anything. It's sarcasm/humor. Much better than the dry English version IMO.

Noctis0Stella

Mar 17, 2019
My native language is German and I have to say that it sounds pretty good especially cloud and sephiroth.

But i also expected that since ff xv in German was also pretty good.

I'm happy that square enix finally dubs their games in ther languages except English and Japanese

OP
OP
Tribes of Trusty
Oct 27, 2017
Wait what? In this case the French says the same thing as the English, Cloud just says it with more sarcasm. When he talks about defending himself from people intimidating him, he's referring to Aerith being cute with him not Shinra troops or anything. It's sarcasm/humor. Much better than the dry English version IMO.
What ? Sorry I don't follow you, Cloud clearly doesn't say the same thing in the French or English version. Plus I don't know how you got that subtext from the 10 seconds long excerpt of the trailer.

I read and heard it again, it just sounds weird to me, not sarcasm or anything :
Cloud : Je préfère t'avertir.
Cloud : Je sais très bien me défendre.
Aerith : Et alors ?
Cloud : Je ne me laisserai pas intimider.

But as I said before, maybe it's due to how the trailer is edited...

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I really disliked Barret's "HEIIIINNNN" but the delivery that followed "C'EST QU'TA UN PROBLÈME CLOUD" was amazing lol

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What ? Sorry I don't follow you, Cloud clearly doesn't say the same thing in the French or English version. Plus I don't know how you got that subtext from the 10 seconds long excerpt of the trailer.

I read and heard it again, it just sounds weird to me, not sarcasm or anything :
Cloud : Je préfère t'avertir.
Cloud : Je sais très bien me défendre.
Aerith : Et alors ?
Cloud : Je ne me laisserai pas intimider.

But as I said before, maybe it's due to how the trailer is edited...
Aerith puts a cutesy flower on Cloud's vest, hoping to make him smile or whatever.
Cloud's reaction: "Je ne me laisserai pas intimider >:-( "

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, I agree the dialogue makes no sense in French.

I didn't hear sarcasm at all there. And moreover, if the English version is about him trying to push back Aerith because he's involved in dangerous stuff and wants her to keep her distance, then it's still a completely different meaning...

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even with Cloud's antics, that sounds weird. If they used "amadouer" or any other verb I'd understand, but here...
But well guess we'll know once the game releases
"Amadouer" would be less funny. "Intimider" is funny because it makes it sound like Cloud considers everyone an enemy.

We could know the true intent if someone could look up the Japanese version I guess...

Noctis0Stella

Mar 17, 2019

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Native French speaker impressions :

French dub is awful - cloud's tone is monotonous and the voice is plain compared to the English and German.

I feel like all the girls have the same high pitched voice. Barret is the least offender.

I rarely [almost never] play games in french or watch movies and series dubbed in french cause I usually find the acting bad and the voices generic.

In this case, I prefer the English dub so I'll play with it or the japanese voices if it's a possibility- depends if you have to react to some audio prompts during gameplay or not. With my limited understanding of german, I feel like it's way better than the french dub, but the girls once again have a similar voice.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Barret is the same voice as Kratos though, which I think is actually a pretty good choice in theory.

Have to wait for more material to say if I like or dislike the German dub, so far I'm mostly fine with the male voices but hate most of the female lines I heard, way to anime squeeky.

I don't know the german voice for Kratos. I dont play games in german.

But that's interesting.

Ketaya

Oct 25, 2017
Berlin
Nope, German Barret is Tilo Schmitz (German Kratos, Teal'c from Stargate), Gladio was Tobias Brecklinghaus. They just sound pretty similar it seems
No, Tobias Brecklinghaus is also Kratos, at least in the new game, not sure if he also did the old ones. And I think he's now also doing Barret, or do you have a source for Tilo Schmitz?

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
The previous French trailer had sold me on the French dub being better than the English one, but here it's much different. The English voice acting is not only better, but the localization is much more natural, and just better-written it feels.
They took a lot of liberties on the script in the French dub.
Makes me trust the translation a lot less.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
German dub in FF14 is also Ace. And yeah, its great they picked up dubbing for finalfantasy games, hope they keep at it for future entries too.
Barret is also German Ramuh from FF14.

I'm curious, does the German ver of FF14 have the same flair to it like the English ver? Cause in the original Japanese AFAIK they speak and are written like a modern Japanese person would speak whereas in the English they went with a sort of old/middle English sort of thing. Not unlike what they did with the translation of FF Tactics.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No, Tobias Brecklinghaus is also Kratos, at least in the new game, not sure if he also did the old ones. And I think he's now also doing Barret, or do you have a source for Tilo Schmitz?

Hm, guess i was wrong. I dont really have a source other than some people saying its the same VA as Kratos back when the first German Trailer came out, and i didnt know Tobias also spoke Kratos, only knew Tilo was Kratos in the PS2 games, so i assumed.
Guess i stand corrected.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious, does the German ver of FF14 have the same flair to it like the English ver? Cause in the original Japanese AFAIK they speak and are written like a modern Japanese person would speak whereas in the English they went with a sort of old/middle English sort of thing. Not unlike what they did with the translation of FF Tactics.
For the most part they speak Regular German, i think sometimes theres some old german flair, but very rarely.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who is learning German and has only listened to those awful listening exercises from the activity book CD, the dub sounds amazing!

Deleted member 44122

the german dub uses the same low budget VAs you always hear in a million other productions, the only somewhat acceptable one is tifa. but i will play in english anyway

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I checked both and I normally hate French dubs, but here I think found the French VA to be better. The English one is stilted and awkward as all hell. Tifa in French wasn't great but the others were better, especially Cloud.

Although.... what's with the opening lines being completely different?? 😕

In English:

????

Not sure how it's working with FF7, or how SE work it in general, but fairly often the European Loc is carried out in Europe direct from the Japanese source, and if every single department takes a bit of artistic license, you're going to end up with variations. It's important to remember that localization does not mean translation. A raw translation is one thing - a localization is the act of, well, localizing content, which always involves taking some artistic license in how you translate things in order to make it feel/read/sound right in whatever language you're shooting for. Basically, it's not unusual.

Like I say, not sure how SE do this, but Nintendo - for instance - often used to do two separate English translations for games - a North American English one, and a UK/European English one, and they'd often have subtly different scripting as a result. I'm pretty sure they quit doing that now, but GameCube/Wii sort of time you could find some really cool and unique differences between the NA and EU english translations.

OP
OP
Tribes of Trusty
Oct 27, 2017
Like I say, not sure how SE do this, but Nintendo - for instance - often used to do two separate English translations for games - a North American English one, and a UK/European English one, and they'd often have subtly different scripting as a result.

Pictured below : subtle differences in script.
GZ797FT.png

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
I'm thinking I should do our EU overlords a solid here and go for the German dub. Not a native speaker and I can just barely listen to a conversation and eak out the gist of it, but I feel I'm too old to be listening to Final Fantasy VO in english.

In DQ11 I just went for subs and disabled the VO, that'll be more jarring in FFVII because of the animation...

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Can't watch the video atm, but the demo at GamesCom had german dub ... and boy was that dub bad. They got some pretty versatile VAs, whose voice appear in many media formats these days ... but the script and the ... effort ... the VAs did were some horrid shit good grief.

It's not fucking Elton (german TV host) in Halo bad, but it's bad.

German dubs are pretty hit or miss to begin with. GoT for example had one shitty dub ... for a series this big it's been embarrassing. Bob's Burgers on the other hand has one freaking good, on-point dub that it's not even funny anymore. I even prefer watching the german dub over the english original here.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I played the German version at GC. Thought Barret sounded funny, that's as much as I could ascertain from a non-native speaker perspective lol.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Native German and French speaking here.

I like Tifa much more in the French version of the game, but I do think the German Cloud sounds perfect for how his attitude is at this point in the game.

Barrett is about even, but I'll give it a slight edge to the French version.

The others were a little bit better in German though.

Overall I am evenly impressed by both the German and the French voice over, but I do think German wins that one because I love how Cloud sounds in German.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I usually play with the original dub, so japanese for japanese game, english for english game, and so on! FFXV was an exception, the french dub was surprisingly good and less annoying than the japanese or the english one...and i almost never play in french cause the dub are usually bad in my opinion (french native speaker here)

here though? It just sounds bad, english dub is quite good, but i'll stay with japanese on this one!

Last edited:

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
French dub seems ok. Not great, but less stilted than the English VO, which sounds like a 2000s anime dub. Not all that fluent in German, but I do dig the direction the German Cloud's voice actor is taking his performance at least.
"Amadouer" would be less funny. "Intimider" is funny because it makes it sound like Cloud considers everyone an enemy.

We could know the true intent if someone could look up the Japanese version I guess...
I like to think that it's part of Cloud's poser personality.

Faithless

Oct 27, 2017
WOW, compared to the English dub, the French version is SO BAD !
Beside the incredible freedom of (bad) translation, some voices are really poorly chosen and the voice acting is really below the English version.
This is terrible and sad for this long awaited game. Damn.