• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Started with strong hype, seemed to go through some trouble, but with the Oculus Quest and PSVR2 in the works, I think is now better than ever.

It won't die anytime soon

Edit: Also developers are learning what works and what doesn't. Next generation of VR games will be so much better imho

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
VR/AR (which will merge) is the final form of computing. It will replace screens on walls. This is the obvious end game.
I dunno if I would call it the end game. I think there will be more of a synthesis than an outright replacement. There's still a lot of practical benefits of not having to have something on your face (unless there's some tech/roadmap I haven't seen yet that doesn't require that). The question for me is how that synthesis will take form.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
It was all over this site and many others in the beginning. It's just a fad! gimmick! bomba! it will be forgotten about in a years time.... Etc.

I for one am glad it's still around. Long live VR.... A worthy challenger!

We are just getting started. The Quest is more of a success than I expected and hardware in general continues to improve with better and better games. Can't wait to see how things will look like in a year or two.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
It's what I wanted it to be, I just wish there were more decently budgeted VR games out there.

And devs need to stop getting all weird about locomotion. Let me move normally, cut out that teleporting bullshit or whatever the hell that godawful movement scheme was in Blood And Truth. Farpoint did it right.

Also RIGS and Ace Combat 7 VR mode are amazing.

I feel like they have. It seems like it's the extreme rarity these days for teleportation only. Smooth locomotion (with tunnel vision options for those prone to motion sickness) seems to be extremely standard now.

Oct 27, 2017
The tech is SUPER cool, even on a low end system like PSVR. It's not quite where it needs to be though. The PS Moves are awful, and all VR should be universally wireless with no cameras.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I believe VR is absolutely going to be pretty big in the next gen. The current tech is capable of some crazy good stuff while being affordable, it's only going to gain more converts as it gets better.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I dunno if I would call it the end game. I think there will be more of a synthesis than an outright replacement. There's still a lot of practical benefits of not having to have something on your face (unless there's some tech/roadmap I haven't seen yet that doesn't require that). The question for me is how that synthesis will take form.
Pretty sure they mean it's the end-game as far as further advances can go. There's no computing platform left to invent after VR/AR that can't be done better with VR/AR because they can simulate everything else - if we're talking about the final form of these technologies.

Cicero

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When I jump on:

If I could get a non-facebook device for ~$300 that was completely wireless requiring no outside devices like PC/consoles or cameras, was capable of 360/PS3 era AAA scope and fidelity, had a full field of view (~210 degrees), zero screen door effect, required zero setup where you put it on and jump in a game in a few seconds (to give you an idea of what I'm thinking, consoles and PC fail this test, but switch and mobile passes it), and was light weight and easy to slip on.

I hope by 2050. I'll be an old man so the biggest concern is my eyesight.

I'm more excited for AR glasses you can wear out in the world but not for any gaming reason.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think VR is 'dead' per se, not at all, but it's definitely not thriving or 'living' as the opposite of the thread title. It's just in a weird place for this market and I don't see how it goes from where it is to where the most enthusiastic of people think it can get to.

Like there are just things with VR that don't really work in the way that they do 'normally' i.e. sans VR. Consider Astro Bot for example, a game with fantastic critical and consumer response, exclusive to a particular VR system. Now normally such a product should expect a drastic increase in popularity and such as a result- be it Nintendo, Sony, Xbox even Sega. Yet VR sales decreased WoW when Astro Bot released in the U.K., and correct me if I'm wrong but we still don't know anything definitive about how well AB sold and how much it benefited PSVR. Like did it sell well enough for a sequel? Maybe I guess, Sony don't diverge a lot of information about these things so we're left to guess but even if it did why would Astro Bot 2 be any different than the first? It could be great yet again but what will change? Will it just sell to the same audience again? Probably if my thinking is correct.

Another example is the press. Again if something is healthy it gets discussion, people want to talk about it and they want to click on articles, essays, interviews whatever that tickles their fancy. Again be it PC gaming, Nintendo, PlayStation it doesn't matter, they all get lots of press and even have dedicated sites and channels that do well for themselves. The exception again is VR. The demand for VR articles is apparently really, really, really low. So low in fact a journalist or blog writer I forget who it was commented here that they reckoned an article discussing their favourite colour would generate more clicks than practically anything VR related would have. And this of course is a vicious circle- no demand for articles leads to less of them and less articles leads to less discussion and subsequently less sales and you get the point.

And those are just 2 good examples. One could go on about stuff like how exclusionary it currently is for people prone to headaches/migraines, disabled people who can't as easily experience full room Vr or people who just don't have the space for such an experience, how hard it is to sell the experience without trying it, how stuff like RE7 being exclusive to one specific VR product is extremely counter productive in helping the market grow or even getting into subjective points that lots of people don't want to play games with a headset on... ever. Or even that lots of VR games are bad and few are as good as they need to be to reach the masss market. Like I haven't played it yet but is Blood and Truth what people were hoping for at this stage? Like 3 1/2 years from launch?

But this comment is waaaay too long already so I'll leave it at that.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
When I jump on:

If I could get a non-facebook device for ~$300 that was completely wireless requiring no outside devices like PC/consoles or cameras, was capable of 360/PS3 era AAA scope and fidelity, had a full field of view (~210 degrees), zero screen door effect, required zero setup where you put it on and jump in a game in a few seconds (to give you an idea of what I'm thinking, consoles and PC fail this test, but switch and mobile passes it), and was light weight and easy to slip on.

I hope by 2050. I'll be an old man so the biggest concern is my eyesight.

I'm more excited for AR glasses you can wear out in the world but not for any gaming reason.
That will happen a couple of decades before 2050. No need to worry at all. In addition when it does happen you won't be dealing with PS3 graphics. You'd probably be more in the PS5 graphics category by that point, on mobile compute.

Deleted member 23046

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My secret wish would be to have current-gen adventure FPS as next-gen VR game.

Alien Isolation, Dishonored, Prey, Bioshock, Titanfall, FarCry Primal etc.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
They made a big enough splash this time that I could see VR getting a bigger audience next gen. That more and more devs seem comfortable creating bigger, VR-specific experiences definitely will not hurt!

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I play Beat Saber on my Oculus Quest almost every day. Every once in a while I dip into other stuff too.

It may not yet be a mainstream success, but it sure is a niche success at the moment. It's by no means dead.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's the most alive it's ever been. it appears that the quest is the fastest selling vr headset by a mile.

the worst thing you could say about vr is that its not growing as quickly as some expected, that's just a matter of the tech getting better though. it's arguably still not even "good enough" for most people

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
I just played A Fisherman's Tale on PSVR yesterday. After playing dozens of other VR games, it still felt inventive and showed the potential is there for even more innovation in storytelling and interaction. We're still in the Atari days compared to flat screen gaming.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yet almost everyone here owns a gaming pc, a console, or a portable, for the same price, or spends hundreds of dollars a year for games.

So it depends in how much you value the experiencie. For me it's priceless. It could be a little bit of a strecht for some people, but it's definitely worth it.

Yes, we pretty much all have one of those here. But this is as gaming enthusiast forum, so anything else would be weird. And yet, even here on an enthusiast forum, most people don't just throw huge sums of money at gaming products. For instance, only one in three is willing to spend more than 500 bucks on a next-gen console - https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...read-ot6-mostly-fan-noise-and-hot-air.129193/

Some people might not think 400 bucks for what a VR headset is expensive as a starting point, but most people absolutely will think it is. That might change eventually if the tech reaches as certain point, but in my view VR is still far far away from that potential point.

OP
OP
afrodubs

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
You have my Move, warrior!
Huzzah!
tenor.gif

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
why would Astro Bot 2 be any different than the first? It could be great yet again but what will change? Will it just sell to the same audience again? Probably if my thinking is correct.
A bigger marketing push and a launch title for PSVR2, plus a budget comparable to a mainline Mario game could set it off to do well, and who knows, maybe it would win lots of game of the year awards garnering even more attention. It's not like Astro Bot was far off that level of quality.

The demand for VR articles is apparently really, really, really low. So low in fact a journalist or blog writer I forget who it was commented here that they reckoned an article discussing their favourite colour would generate more clicks than practically anything VR related would have. And this of course is a vicious circle- no demand for articles leads to less of them and less articles leads to less discussion and subsequently less sales and you get the point.
Oh yes, this is definitely a pain point at the moment. However, VR is forcing existing franchises to exclusively make AAA games for the platform. This is going to force the media to cover the games because they know that large franchises will get clicks VR or not. Expect the Half Life VR reveal to be the biggest and most talked about game reveal of 2019.

And those are just 2 good examples. One could go on about stuff like how exclusionary it currently is for people prone to headaches/migraines, disabled people who can't as easily experience full room Vr or people who just don't have the space for such an experience, how hard it is to sell the experience without trying it, how stuff like RE7 being exclusive to one specific VR product is extremely counter productive in helping the market grow or even getting into subjective points that lots of people don't want to play games with a headset on... ever. Or even that lots of VR games are bad and few are as good as they need to be to reach the masss market. Like I haven't played it yet but is Blood and Truth what people were hoping for at this stage? Like 3 1/2 years from launch?

• Oculus has already solved headaches in their prototype headsets. This will trickle down to consumers over time.
  • Disabled users actually have a lot to gain from VR because real life is already very exclusionary for them, and VR lets them experience both the real world and virtual world in a way they never could. Heck, it can even cure certain disabilities like lazy eye or certain defects in the brain. Is it a consideration? Yes, but it's actually more of a boon for VR and I'd argue traditional games will be more exclusionary than VR as a medium as VR hardware advances.
  • Space is basically a myth at this point. You only need it for active games which can often be played seated anyway. The active games require very little space in the majority of cases, such as a 1x1m space working for even the fast-paced Echo Arena game.

Blood & Truth is a great game, but it's also not the most adequate example on your part. There have been significantly better games, including the 40+ hour AAA Asgard's Wrath, or the upcoming AAA Stormland and Half Life VR - these are the games that people were always hoping for.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By the end of 2018, 0.8% of steam users had VR. Is 0.8% low enough to be considered dead? Anyone know what the % is now?

Cicero

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That will happen a couple of decades before 2050. No need to worry at all. In addition when it does happen you won't be dealing with PS3 graphics. You'd probably be more in the PS5 graphics category by that point, on mobile compute.

I hope! One concern is that it seems like only Facebook is moving forward on standalone devices and they are out of the question for me. I hope we see more companies head in that direction.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It's very much alive, I just played some like fifteen minutes ago. I honestly still think it's absolutely the future of gaming, and cannot wait to see what coming VR generations will bring.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
This was definitely the "first-gen" of this type of consumer-grade VR in terms of accessibility and support.
We'll be having some insane VR experiences in the future now that devs know there's a market for it. It might not be huge, but it'll get there if nourished correctly.
I wouldn't put it past next gen to start seeing AAA-type games with smooth VR integration.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's well alive and kicking, yep. It's just gonna keep getting better and better. I hope one day we'll find a cheap solution to walking like on a omnidirectional treadmill.

One thing I hope is that PC Gamepass eventually gets a VR section or there's a good one like it. That'd make finding and playing games you like soooo much easier and I'd think that would boost sales for VR too due to already having a library to play(multiplayer games like Povlov would get a big boost I'd think). Most VR games are bite sized as well which would make sense for a subscription based model.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A bigger marketing push and a launch title for PSVR2, plus a budget comparable to a mainline Mario game could set it off to do well, and who knows, maybe it would win lots of game of the year awards garnering even more attention. It's not like Astro Bot was far off that level of quality.

Oh yes, this is definitely a pain point at the moment. However, VR is forcing existing franchises to exclusively make AAA games for the platform. This is going to force the media to cover the games because they know that large franchises will get clicks VR or not. Expect the Half Life VR reveal to be the biggest and most talked about game reveal of 2019.

• Oculus has already solved headaches in their prototype headsets. This will trickle down to consumers over time.
  • Disabled users actually have a lot to gain from VR because real life is already very exclusionary for them, and VR lets them experience both the real world and virtual world in a way they never could. Heck, it can even cure certain disabilities like lazy eye or certain defects in the brain. Is it a consideration? Yes, but it's actually more of a boon for VR and I'd argue traditional games will be more exclusionary than VR as a medium as VR hardware advances.
  • Space is basically a myth at this point. You only need it for active games which can often be played seated anyway. The active games require very little space in the majority of cases, such as a 1x1m space working for even the fast-paced Echo Arena game.

Blood & Truth is a great game, but it's also not the most adequate example on your part. There have been significantly better games, including the 40+ hour AAA Asgard's Wrath, or the upcoming AAA Stormland and Half Life VR - these are the games that people were always hoping for.

Just to let you know I respect your enthusiasm for VR and would like to offer you a suitable rebuttal that they deserve but it is late here and I know that I probably won't be able to convince you on any of my points so I think it's in my best interest to agree to disagree, particularly as some of your points are ones that I can't specifically rebut at this stage. So AB 2 will have loads of money poured into it and HLVR will be *the* most discussed game of the year? I don't know what to say to that other than I disagree and that I don't think that things will pan out like that. We'll have to wait and see.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I hope! One concern is that it seems like only Facebook is moving forward on standalone devices and they are out of the question for me. I hope we see more companies head in that direction.
Samsung and Google will very likely move in that direction. HTC also have a standalone but it does fall pretty short compared to the value of Quest.

OP
OP
afrodubs

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
We are just getting started. The Quest is more of a success than I expected and hardware in general continues to improve with better and better games. Can't wait to see how things will look like in a year or two.
Yea I want that PSVR2 like yesterday. Currently getting stuck into NMS and my imagination is running wild with the possibilities.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, I really like PSVR, it's one of the coolest experiences in gaming I've had in years.

But it's the best selling VR headset by far and it's only at around 5 million units. The Wii U was considered a massive failure at 13.5 million sold, and the total number of VR headsets sold by Sony, Oculus, and HTC combined is about the same.

Of course they're in wildly different price categories, gaming VR costing around a thousand minimum to get started compared to a few hundred for a console, but really that's the problem; it's nowhere near a mass market price and thus not a product with mass appeal. At least not yet.

When gaming VR with proper room/hand tracking gets down to around $400 all-in then I think we'll see a huge upswing.

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
Considering we already have a 40+ hour VR RPG, this post is going to age very badly. People want them to happen because people want big AAA games and worlds to get lost in.

I don't think they're sustainable in terms of game time. The stuff that's currently trying to fill that hole isn't of the same quality as the traditional stuff, and I think desire for it will wane before it becomes financially viable for the AAA developers to consider it.

I'm sure they'll exist, but I think it'll be a niche within the niche. I'm not sure the majority of players view 40, 50, 60 hours with a headset on as viable, particularly when the average age of a "gamer" is 30+. There're families to have and jobs to go to.

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its also not the game hanger it claimed to be, it's in a healthy middle ground right now.

Like a lot of things Era😏

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Just to let you know I respect your enthusiasm for VR and would like to offer you a suitable rebuttal that they deserve but it is late here and I know that I probably won't be able to convince you on any of my points so I think it's in my best interest to agree to disagree, particularly as some of your points are ones that I can't specifically rebut at this stage. So AB 2 will have loads of money poured into it and HLVR will be *the* most discussed game of the year? I don't know what to say to that other than I disagree and that I don't think that things will pan out like that. We'll have to wait and see.
For Astro Bot 2, I think that's a possibility, not that it's a surefire thing. Half Life VR though, why don't you think it will be as highly discussed as I believe? We're talking about a legendary franchise, and arguably the most wanted franchise revival period. Valve will advertise it forcefully to everyone on Steam, and will ensure on their end that the major outlets pick it up. Plus this has potential to be revolutionary in a way that games often claim to be, but never are. Will it hit that mark? Who knows, but there's potential.

I remember the Epistle 3 script getting revealed and that was pretty big despite being just a bunch of text with no game to show for it.

Deleted member 49319

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
It's what I wanted it to be, I just wish there were more decently budgeted VR games out there.

And devs need to stop getting all weird about locomotion. Let me move normally, cut out that teleporting bullshit or whatever the hell that godawful movement scheme was in Blood And Truth. Farpoint did it right.

Also RIGS and Ace Combat 7 VR mode are amazing.
You should know people get really bad motion sickness from VR free motion.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
It's certainly not dead but still has alot of work to become 'mainstream'. Although I'm holding out for that wireless PSVR2 headset.. depending on games available of course.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I don't think they're sustainable in terms of game time. The stuff that's currently trying to fill that hole isn't of the same quality as the traditional stuff, and I think desire for it will wane before it becomes financially viable for the AAA developers to consider it.

I'm sure they'll exist, but I think it'll be a niche within the niche. I'm not sure the majority of players view 40, 50, 60 hours with a headset on as viable, particularly when the average age of a "gamer" is 30+. There're families to have and jobs to go to.
People already made your statement before to a lesser degree. "VR will never be able to support AAA games exclusive to VR" and well, here we are, with a market that continues to grow with AAAs releasing. There just isn't much to base your opinion off as it would have to be a case where VR growth plateaued basically indefinitely. Considering that we're still in the ATARI stages of VR where things can be improved in all areas by several orders of magnitude, how can there even be a strong chance of a plateau? Investment? That's still happening.

Your last statement makes no sense. How is that any different to the viability of 40, 50, 60 hour RPGs on a screen? People do not play those for 50 hours straight.

Some of your pessimistic statements have already been proven wrong in the past. You once thought finger-tracking and wireless would be hard to justify due to the cost, and yet Oculus Quest is a wireless headset that is getting finger-tracking for free early 2020. Ultimately, you are too pessimistic.

Last edited:

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Yea I want that PSVR2 like yesterday. Currently getting stuck into NMS and my imagination is running wild with the possibilities.

Dude! That's the thing. I guess we all thought VR would be bigger by now, based on the first impressions we each had. It was just so easy to imagine and get exited about the possibilities, that we all wanted them to happen right away. Things just take time to evolve and improve over time, but already some of the best gaming experiences I have had have been in VR and we are just scratching the surface of what is possible. There is no denying that VR will get bigger and bigger every year.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not dead, but I kinda get the sense that it is on life support.

A couple weeks ago on the Bombcast, Jeff was talking about how VC and publisher money for VR games has pretty much dried up. The only people left funding VR games are the ones with big commitments to the hardware (Oculus, Sony).

How have hardware sales panned out this last couple years? I get the sense that things have kinda flatlined in terms of growth.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly going about how I expected it to. It's managed to get a good small crowd of enthusiast and some eyeballs with a few break-out games (things like Beat Saber and VR Chat have helped increase the number of people who own/use it), but I and many others never thought the first wave of the technology was going to make it break out into the mainstream. It's a developing area still, it needed to "prove" itself for many, so it was always unlikely gen 1 of this technology would be the period it'd gain the most popularity.

It'll probably take some improvements of the hardware, becoming more affordable, and having one ginormous game (or several more bigger breakouts like Bear Saber and VR Chat) and get a lot of eyeballs before it has a chance to break mainstream.

I think it will get bigger in the future rather than smaller, I don't get the sense it's dying and I think there's still a lot of potential for growth, in the hardware used, with how developers handle VR and some getting a better grasp of what does and doesn't work in VR, and some having rather ingenious ideas to use with it and more potential audiences getting interested in trying it as a result and it spreading.

One really good victory that the first generation of VR did help the hardware overcome is there isn't a broader spread opinion that it's just a gimmick, it has proven itself enough that it can be highly innovative and make all new types of games and experiences to sway the general mood of that away. I consider that a big victory for coming out of the first generation of this thing.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
It was all over this site and many others in the beginning. It's just a fad! gimmick! bomba! it will be forgotten about in a years time.... Etc.

I for one am glad it's still around. Long live VR.... A worthy challenger!
Yes there were many people claiming it would be a quickly dying failure but there were also people claiming it would be an industry changing success that become the standard way to play going forward.

As of now both sides were wrong, it's a moderately successful addition to conventional consoles/PC.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
It's not dead, but I kinda get the sense that it is on life support.

A couple weeks ago on the Bombcast, Jeff was talking about how VC and publisher money for VR games has pretty much dried up. The only people left funding VR games are the ones with big commitments to the hardware (Oculus, Sony).

How have hardware sales panned out this last couple years? I get the sense that things have kinda flatlined in terms of growth.
That's actually not true. Jeff doesn't follow VR news much so I wouldn't use him as a source, even though I do like the guy and that he's grown on VR since the launch of headsets.

Also keep in mind that there are bigger budget games on their way from developers outside of Oculus/Sony/Valve, like Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners, After the Fall, and inXile is working on a big VR RPG which appears to be a new Wasteland game.

As for hardware sales, growth has only picked up. PSVR hit 4.2 million sales in March which was the fastest year-on-year growth period it had since launch. Oculus Quest is selling out often and is hard to keep up the demand, and Valve Index sold out it's initial batch fast and will sell out extremely fast again when Valve reveal Half Life VR soon.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
It's reached a point where you could hardly call it popular but it has enough of a core audience to justify publishers' and developers' continued investment in the platform.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Its niche but its sticking around.

I think streaming and portability are proving to be much more likely to be the future of gaming.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

I think streaming and portability are proving to be much more likely to be the future of gaming.

The thing about that though is the few VR bigger hits have proven to be very popular streaming games, I know I just said both of them above but VR Chat was a small viral and streaming sensation for a while that still pulls in larger numbers and Beat Saber is still doing pretty well too if we're talking streamable games.

Though I think you are right in the sense that probably the VR games that will break VR more into the popular market will be games that catch streamers and their audiences' attention.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018

VR/AR will take over the role of portability once it gets to a certain threshold as people largely won't find a need for handheld devices by then, and may even take on the role as a perfect streaming device - for VR games themselves? Hard to say, but you can definitely stream non-VR games to be played on virtual screens in a way that people will find a lot of value from with good enough hardware.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
VR isn't dead but it unfortunately didn't come close to setting the world on fire. Several factors- wires, heavy obtrusive headsets, lack of killer apps (not necessarily true anymore but it was true until recently), price. All these things are being worked on and will be overcome, but honestly I see AR as the tech that will become ubiquitous in over the next couple of decades. The main advantage that AR has is that it doesn't cut you off entirely from the real world, and for truly wide spread adoption I think that's important.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
VR isn't dead but it unfortunately didn't come close to setting the world on fire. Several factors- wires, heavy obtrusive headsets, lack of killer apps (not necessarily true anymore but it was true until recently), price. All these things are being worked on and will be overcome, but honestly I see AR as the tech that will become ubiquitous in over the next couple of decades. The main advantage that AR has is that it doesn't cut you off entirely from the real world, and for truly wide spread adoption I think that's important.
VR and AR will share the same device long-term, so whatever the adoption rate of one is, the other will roughly fall into as well.