• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Could be a Gamebreaker for me if I decide to go all Digital or Disc for both companies.

If both doesn't offer True4K bluray video playback, I will be looking really hard on XB'S and/or PS5 digital.

What is your thoughts?

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Yes I believe they both do now, xbox has had it since the one s and one x, we don't know yet if either support dolby vision on blurray I believe

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UHD is the only thing that has me considering getting the PS5 this year.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
We're probably going to have to download an update to activate video playback again aren't we?

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
If the Pro and X have UHD support, why wouldn't these consoles?

Edit

Thought they both had UHD, my bad. For sure these new consoles will. I also don't remember if I've played Dolby Vision stuff from my discs or just through streaming on the X.

Last edited:

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Because Sony's not crazy and they're going to match Microsoft price for price for the high-end disc version.
I mean, we've seen arrogant Sony and violent Sony, so don't think crazy Sony is completely outside the realm of possibility.

But yeah, I agree that Sony will probably match Microsoft on the high end. I don't think Sony wants to, but I think Sony needs to.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Do the digital consoles support USB UHD drives?
Certainly possible. Wouldn't be surprised if they do have USB external drives. Especially Microsoft with the S. Could release a UHD drive that works with the Series S and Windows 10. Of course that could have piracy problems.

But, neither of the two console companies have said a word about any such thing.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
Could be a Gamebreaker for me if I decide to go all Digital or Disc for both companies.

If both doesn't offer True4K bluray video playback, I will be looking really hard on XB'S and/or PS5 digital.

What is your thoughts?
But why use your console as a media device in 2020? Getting a dedicated 4k bluray player
Between that and our smart TV my family has no reason to touch my PlayStation. My consoles are lasting me a lot longer now as they are used for only gaming at this point.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
But why use your console as a media device in 2020? Getting a dedicated 4k bluray player
Between that and our smart TV my family has no reason to touch my PlayStation. My consoles are lasting me a lot longer now as they are used for only gaming at this point.

I think there's a lot of people who use their consoles as entertainment centers. Love having my One X in my room and using it for pretty much everything.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It's always confirmed they both do. It's not confirmed which has audio and video formats they will play back.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
I think there's a lot of people who use their consoles as entertainment centers. Love having my One X in my room and using it for pretty much everything.
I mean this was the thing to do last gen but there is better technology now, dont need my console to consume media only games. PSN is a pain in the ass, cant watch Netflix or anything if PSN signs me out or acts up. Got a smart TV and never looked back.

Oct 25, 2017

Why would you not? I mean seeing the price of UHD Blu ray players compared to consoles I'm just gonna buy one of these instead so I don't need another box connected to my tv than necessary, and plays games on top of Blu ray discs.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I just want Dolby Vision confirmed for UHD discs on either console. Xbox One X only does HDR10 from discs, because reasons.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It's still bonkers to me that the PS4 Pro didn't have a UHD drive. Just bonkers.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, we've seen arrogant Sony and violent Sony, so don't think crazy Sony is completely outside the realm of possibility.

But yeah, I agree that Sony will probably match Microsoft on the high end. I don't think Sony wants to, but I think Sony needs to.
Crazy Sony wont happen until they allow insomniac to make Sunset Overdrive 2

OP
OP
Josh378

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017

Less space taken from consoles in the entertainment area. XBX and PS5 would take a large amount of room already. Adding a dedicated Ultra Blu-Ray player on top of it will be too much. And most digital apps are built into the TV. And if your using an projector, you can use an USB stick. Minimum is the best...

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Hopefully the quality of the 4K UHD drives in PS5 and XSX and the quality of their 4K movie playback is better than the cheap-feeling problematic experience it was on both Xbox One S and X, where 4K movies often stutter and take too long to load with that terrible Xbox blu ray app.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
Less space taken from consoles in the entertainment area. XBX and PS5 would take a large amount of room already. Adding a dedicated Ultra Blu-Ray player on top of it will be too much. And most digital apps are built into the TV. And if your using an projector, you can use an USB stick. Minimum is the best...
it also kills the laser a lot quicker, i had 2 or 3 PS2s before i got a slim because the laser had died in the system

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it also kills the laser a lot quicker, i had 2 or 3 PS2s before i got a slim because the laser had died in the system
I think about this a lot. Have no idea what's the UHD player to even get though. Seems like the Oppo was the one but they don't make that anymore, and others seem to miss features.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Consoles are garbage media playback devices. If you care enough about fidelity to be buying physical-media movies, you'll probably care enough that it's worth it to buy a decent standalone BR player. Even for streaming purposes, my experience with the X1X and PS4 Plex client has been frustrating. Very poor support for direct-playing 4K/HDR/subtitled rips.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong next gen, but I fully expect both new consoles to once again be trash-tier media devices.