• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Just by the thumbnail alone I see PS Vita memory cards, the PS3 launch and PSN outage/hack.

Will watch, thanks OP.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Nah, Vita's problems went way beyond that. That thing was a direct result of Sony learning next to nothing from the PSP getting absolutely wrecked by the DS the gen prior, and it showed. It was much more powerful than the 3DS, but not nearly powerful enough to fully realize its promise of "console-quality games on the go". Borderlands 2 was a nightmare there, it barely ran Assassin's Creed Liberation, and most attempts to get the big Playstation franchises on it resulted in highly-truncated versions of the mainline games. The hardware was paradoxically both impressive and "not-quite-there-yet".

(Disclaimer: I admit, I still played the hell out of Persona 4 Golden on it.)​
(Disclaimer disclaimer: Though I'm very glad that game is no longer stuck there anymore.)​

Disagree here. Nothing Sony could have done would have saved the Vita.

PSP launched in 2005, ended up selling 80m
The DS launched in 2004, sold about 150m

6 years after the launch of the PSP, the Iphone goes mass market with the iphone 4. It expands to Verizon (previously an AT&T exclusive) and to other carriers shortly after.

In 2009 global iphone revenue was 13billion. By 2014 that number was 100billion. The iphone exploded after the iphone 4 launch and this ignores android. The market for dedicated handhelds got destroyed overnight.

The 3DS hit in 2011 and sales for that were so horrendous at launch MSRP Nintendo was forced to price drop it from $249 to $169 in 6 months. That system sold only 75million units total- less than the PSP and this includes the heavily stripped down 2DS which was sold for as low as $75 new. And this was NINTENDO.

The vita never had a prayer of selling anything no matter what Sony did with it. The primary audience for that was older than nintendos audience for the 3DS, and far more likely to own smartphones. By 2012 there simply wasn't a wide market for a high end standalone handheld Targeting 20somethings.

If Sony does everything suggested with the vita- no high priced memory cards, stronger launch lineup, cheaper MSRP, whatever- it still struggles to 20 million, max.

It should honestly have never released, but it was likely so far along in development by the time it was obvious the market was gone that this wasn't feasible

Serastros

Mar 3, 2018
I do not think Vita was biggest mistake, I like this handheld a lot, for its retrogaming capacity, and the jprgs I played there, got me actually into persona series with golden 4! Awesome!

Biggest mistake in my opinion was the NGE Update on Star Wars Galaxies.
SOE killed this early sandbox Star Wars MMORPG with that, trying to catch WOW. Or was told to do so by Lucasarts.... I am not very clear at this.
This game was not without issues, but it was a sandbox with crafty and steady fan community, community driven commerce.
Have not seen such one since then... Miss it still...

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Vita memory cards gave us so many Kaz Hirai CEO tweets though.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The PSN hack was a huge blow. People to this day still don't trust PSN due to it.

The hack also killed SOCOM.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Disagree here. Nothing Sony could have done would have saved the Vita.

PSP launched in 2005, ended up selling 80m
The DS launched in 2004, sold about 150m

6 years after the launch of the PSP, the Iphone goes mass market with the iphone 4. It expands to Verizon (previously an AT&T exclusive) and to other carriers shortly after.

In 2009 global iphone revenue was 13billion. By 2014 that number was 100billion. The iphone exploded after the iphone 4 launch and this ignores android. The market for dedicated handhelds got destroyed overnight.

The 3DS hit in 2011 and sales for that were so horrendous at launch MSRP Nintendo was forced to price drop it from $249 to $169 in 6 months. That system sold only 75million units total- less than the PSP and this includes the heavily stripped down 2DS which was sold for as low as $75 new. And this was NINTENDO.

The vita never had a prayer of selling anything no matter what Sony did with it. The primary audience for that was older than nintendos audience for the 3DS, and far more likely to own smartphones. By 2012 there simply wasn't a wide market for a high end standalone handheld Targeting 20somethings.

If Sony does everything suggested with the vita- no high priced memory cards, stronger launch lineup, cheaper MSRP, whatever- it still struggles to 20 million, max.

It should honestly have never released, but it was likely so far along in development by the time it was obvious the market was gone that this wasn't feasible
Confused as to what you disagree with. I agree with your whole post...

For the record, I didn't mean to say that Vita could have been some immense runaway success, if only they'd done ___________ instead. The market was definitely always against it. I just meant that it could have done a little better than it did if Sony had bothered to adjust their strategy at all from "hey, let's make a much more powerful handheld than Nintendo's with one big screen, that'll crush 'em".

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The bigger issue for Vita was not calling it PSP2.

PSP was really well know amongst casuals but if you ever mentioned a Vita they knew nothing about it.

Oct 27, 2017
How much of Dark Souls popularity is due to it being multi platform though? If Bandai hadn't picked it up Souls would probably have remained a quirky niche title and wouldn't have been as popular as it is today.

Yep this is one of the interesting questions, since Dark Souls is huge on PC it's hard to say how much the souls formula would have been influental in a world where the core series remained PlayStation exclusive.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
Yep this is one of the interesting questions, since Dark Souls is huge on PC it's hard to say how much the souls formula would have been influental in a world where the core series remained PlayStation exclusive.
Dark Souls really only took off after it hit PC. And I mean its biggest audience is there still. At the least I definitely don't think we would have so many games aping its mechanics if it stayed PS exclusive.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda disagree.

The 1st should always be how they approached game development as secondary to the development of their console tech itself.

There's also on how they treated third party, that when an easier to develop system, and a more approachable consolemaker came along, a lot jumped ship to create games for the Xbox 360.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
The main problem with the Vita was that it got released. It was the most amazing device back when I still played games on the go and I love it, but there was no market for it. There's no decision that could have saved it, and putting more effort into doing so is effort that couldn't have gone into something more worthwhile. I can see why people point to mistakes made with the Vita, but I can't agree with any of them because they're missing the forest for the trees.

The PSN hack is a big deal but it also pointed Sony toward the proper attitudes regarding online security so it's actually a positive in the end. Obviously it's a horrible mistake for that to happen in the first place, but it achieved the very opposite of lasting damage so it's a huge stretch to call it Sony's biggest mistake. I'd think of it more as more of an honorable mention.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The Vita had a huge number of problems.
  • The name (PSP2)
  • No TV-out
  • Proprietary memory cards
  • Proprietary charging cable
  • Plastic screen
  • Ditching OLED with the second revision
I always wanted a Vita but could never justify buying one.
I think the white model may have been exclusive to Japan too? (Or launched very late?) After owning black and white PSPs, I knew I did not want another black system, and I think I ended up passing on it altogether because they never made a white OLED model available here.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
The vita memory card thing is super over blown. There are way more salient reasons that the vita failed. Anyway, didn't PSP have the same issue and sell like 80 million units?

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Definitely, especially with their proprietary shit.

I kinda disagree.

The 1st should always be how they approached game development as secondary to the development of their console tech itself.

There's also on how they treated third party, that when an easier to develop system, and a more approachable consolemaker came along, a lot jumped ship to create games for the Xbox 360.

And this.

I remember thinking the PSN hack would mean Sony would never charge for online yet 2 years later...how naive I was.

They looked at Microsoft with the Xbox 360 & thought, "Hey, we can make plenty of revenue off of people, too!".

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
These are not my choice of 3 main mistakes and I'm not even sure it is from sony's perspective either. More, for sure.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
The Vita had a huge number of problems.
  • The name (PSP2)
  • No TV-out
  • Proprietary memory cards
  • Proprietary charging cable
  • Plastic screen
  • Ditching OLED with the second revision
I always wanted a Vita but could never justify buying one.
I think the white model may have been exclusive to Japan too? (Or launched very late?) After owning black and white PSPs, I knew I did not want another black system, and I think I ended up passing on it altogether because they never made a white OLED model available here.
The White PSP was bundled with Assassin's Creed Liberation. I have one of those and it's awesome.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to argue with any of those. They were all pretty strong mistakes, but the PSN hack was easily the worst.

dom

ā–² Legend ā–²
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's really interesting that PS3 sold 87 million units with all those problems and mistakes. It was available a year after X360, $200 more than X360 and $250 more than Wii (X360 + Wii together were only $50 more than a PS3), its hardware was strange and hard to develop (a game like Skyrim had big problems with PS3, 5 years after release of console), and PSN hack disaster...
I don't think any other console can see that popularity with all those things. But PlayStation's great history and amazing first party titles made PS3 one of the best selling consoles of all time.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Bah.

1. Even free memory cards would not have changed anything about the PS Vita's fate.
2. The dark age of PlayStation, but PS3 launch lessons made the PS4 launch pretty much perfect in return.
3. As loud as it was, no one talk about this anymore and the PSN is solid as fuck today.

Now THIS is what I call a mistake from a Sony perspective, something that could have changed a huge part of history. Imagine FromSoftware not going with Bandai Namco to make Dark Souls and instead just continue the Demon's Souls franchise in collaboration with Japan Studio. Who know what form the souls-like mania would take in this alternate universe ?

I wasn't interested in the PS3 until Demon's was about to be released in the US, and while we have Sony to thank for it existing at all, Atlus/Bandai Namco is the reason it existed outside of Japan. Personally, I am glad in a way that things turned out the way they did, because had FromSoftware stuck with Sony all of this time, we wouldn't have ended up with the PC versions of their games. There's still one egregious omission in that regard too when it comes to performance...

Anyway, that mistake was nowhere near as bad as the hack.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Sony have done some bone head shit over the years. Vita being their biggest miss, that thing was literally designed and engineered to fail and no one at Sony stopped and said "wait a minute" before launching it.
Not gonna knock them on PS3, getting Blu-ray out there was worth it.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Some of the historical stuff is accurate, especially for the PS3 era, but it's about how you recover from your mistakes. These days, I'm most worried that Sony could pull the plug for certain game servers or withdraw overall support, e.g. with Driveclub and the disappointing longtime Vita software support from first party also falls under this category. It's been a bit of a pattern. Especially worried about my beloved Dreams, though they've said they got a 10-year plan for that one. Furthermore, I'm still not sold on their commitment to BC, they have ground to make up there.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
I actually enjoyed my time with the Vita and the PSP before that, sure Sony did gave up quickly and made mistakes with the Vita, but I still had a lot of fun with a lot of great games on it.

Overall these were three big mistakes, personally I think I agree with an earlier post, about the closure of some studios, for example Evolution and Psygnosis, I really enjoyed Motorstorm and Driveclub (later), also no more iconic Wipeout was and is strange, just thinking how cool it would be to get a new Wipeout and arcade/sim mix in the likes of Driveclub with PS5 visuals. Hell or even a Ridge Racer for the system launch, but that's not up to Sony ;)

Loneck

Feb 26, 2018
Closing Evolution Studios and Studio Liverpool was also big mistake. WTF? Driveclub 2 or 3 on PS5, nice alternative to Forza Horizon. New Wipeout on PS5 could be awesome.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Bah.

1. Even free memory cards would not have changed anything about the PS Vita's fate.
2. The dark age of PlayStation, but PS3 launch lessons made the PS4 launch pretty much perfect in return.
3. As loud as it was, no one talk about this anymore and the PSN is solid as fuck today.

Now THIS is what I call a mistake from a Sony perspective, something that could have changed a huge part of history. Imagine FromSoftware not going with Bandai Namco to make Dark Souls and instead just continue the Demon's Souls franchise in collaboration with Japan Studio. Who know what form the souls-like mania would take in this alternate universe ?

Shu saying "a game that is dear to me" before Demon's Souls remake reveal was my favorite thing of the show

Nov 21, 2017
Pretty crazy how much money PSN generates for Sony considering how disastrous the PSN hack was back in 2011 yet Sony turned that around in less than a decade.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
I still think that the proprietary memorycards were bad, but most flack came from people who already didn't want to buy a Vita.

my 8GB cards were 44.99 in 2012
A sdcard with 8gb was around 30 and a pro duo was 52 dollar.

Yes it was more expensive, but with all those low prices in the psnshop for me the Vita was cheaper than the 3ds...

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Bah.

I'm saying this was a similar mistake to Demon Souls:

www.playstationlifestyle.net

Sony Stalls Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Localization for Europe and North America - PlayStation LifeStyle

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD has no release date outside of Japan, and now Capcom has revealed what's stalling Monster Hunter from appearing on the PS3.

Okay, so Capcom doesn't want to develop trophies, and the online play is a difficult implementation for Sony. That's unfortunate, but this is a potentially huge game, and would be well worth the effort on Sony's part. Konami and Sony were able to find a way to make Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, which is similarly a PSP game with ad-hoc play, work for the PS3 in the upcoming Metal Gear Solid Collection release, so this definitely isn't impossible.

Sure MH is on the up-and-up now, but imagine if they got behind Capcom in 2011 and continued this via advertising.