• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Bah.

1. Even free memory cards would not have changed anything about the PS Vita's fate.
2. The dark age of PlayStation, but PS3 launch lessons made the PS4 launch pretty much perfect in return.
3. As loud as it was, no one talk about this anymore and the PSN is solid as fuck today.

Now THIS is what I call a mistake from a Sony perspective, something that could have changed a huge part of history. Imagine FromSoftware not going with Bandai Namco to make Dark Souls and instead just continue the Demon's Souls franchise in collaboration with Japan Studio. Who know what form the souls-like mania would take in this alternate universe ?

Last edited:

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
1. Even free memory cards would not have changed anything about the PS Vita fate
2. An important moment, but PS3 launch mistakes made the PS4 launch pretty much perfect in return
3. No one even remember this event and the PSN is solid as fuck today

Now THIS is what I call a mistake
1) Free memory cards just create a different costly problem for sony.
2) sure, but the ps3 launch cost sony hundreds of millions between 2006-2009(ish). While it worked out in the end, it looked bleak for a while.
3) People remember it, it just doesn't matter anymore because it was 9 years ago. And PSN is solid today because the hack forced sony to take PSN security more seriously.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Once Nintendo slashed the 3DS price the Vita was done for, as far as adoption went. Proprietary memory was just something people were annoyed by and I wouldn't put that next to the PS3 launch and PSN hack.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
4. Handling of Japan Studio between Gravity Rush and Ape Escape, not to even mention a lack of continuation on The Legend or Dragoon.

5. Lack of cohesive backward compatibility management ecosystem wide. Microsoft is killing them here.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I would agree with those being their biggest mistakes as well. Also, it's good to see that their mistakes actually had some real world changes to their products now. The ps4/5 can use store bought drives instead of proprietary ones, they changed from really esoteric architectures and crazy prices for the ps4 (and hopefully ps5), and psn is much better off now than it was before

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
the memory card thing is about both the psp and the vita

they made the same mistake twice in a row

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Rather than the specific issue of memory cards, I'd say abandoning the Vita pretty much instantly was a bigger mistake.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
The propietary bullshit was so annoying. Severely limited the urge for me to actually buy any new games for it. I think it would have helped adoption for sure.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually surprising how Sony managed to recover from the PS3 era given all of these biggest mistakes happened during that generation. The PSN hack, above all, was the worst. It wasn't just a bad business decision, it was a trust-breaking scandal caused by sheer incompetence that damaged people who actually were their customers. That they managed clean their public perception towards the end of the generation and with the PS4 launch was honestly something I wasn't expecting back in the day.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
I know people aren't going to agree with what Im about to say, and its not on the level of these three, but I was just thinking today about what a shame it was that Sony lost Crash and Spyro.

I know they weren't exactly in charge of the IP, but the value it had for the platform should've been a great notion that they should've fought for it.

Then again we might not have gotten todays Naughty Dog and Insomniac. Which in turn means we might not have gotten Ratchet, Uncharted etc.

Anyway, sorry if its meaningless to the overall conversation, was just talking about All Stars 2 with my girlfriend for literally an hour and got into the bit about "Crash and Spyro's value"

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Bah.

1. Even free memory cards would not have changed anything about the PS Vita's fate.
2. The dark age of PlayStation, but PS3 launch lessons made the PS4 launch pretty much perfect in return.
3. As loud as it was, no one talk about this anymore and the PSN is solid as fuck today.

Now THIS is what I call a mistake from a Sony perspective, something that could have changed a huge part of history. Imagine FromSoftware not going with Bandai Namco to make Dark Souls and instead just continue the Demon's Souls franchise in collaboration with Japan Studio. Who know what form the souls-like mania would take in this alternate universe ?

How much of Dark Souls popularity is due to it being multi platform though? If Bandai hadn't picked it up Souls would probably have remained a quirky niche title and wouldn't have been as popular as it is today.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
I remember thinking the PSN hack would mean Sony would never charge for online yet 2 years later...how naive I was.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
For some reason I barely remember the hack.

I know I refused to buy a Vita on principal because of that memory card shit.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I think the memory card thing is overblown and the Vita was just too precious and beautiful for this wicked world.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
[Another PS3 era mistake] PSN seemingly initially being designed with usernames as the account id gave them a big technical debt (alongside related designs/patchworks I'm sure) that took them quite a while to handle, I think Yosp once described the mess as nightmarish. That was solved thankfully during the PS4 gen and today everyone is free to alter their usernames (and I'm sure the data foundation being more sensible after related migrations).

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
I would put the whole PS3 launch debacle from designing the system architecture to the terrible PR from the execs as the top fuck up ahead of the PSN hack because it cost them in the billions rather than hundreds of millions as the hack.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Their handling of GT franchise is also a huge fuckup on Sony's side.

GT 5 took forever to come because PD did not want to outsource shit.

GT 6 launched on PS3 when it should have been a PS4 launch title.

GT For PSP took forever and was too fucking late.

GT Sports was, well, I mean can you fucking beleive an entire generation passed by without a fully fledged GT experience for fuck sake. I mean WTF were they thinking by releasing an 'episodic' racing game, just finish your damn game and release it, Jesus.

They better have GT7 on PS5's launch date.

Losing Souls series was also a huge fuckup.

And Vita was over engineered as fuck.It should have been cheaper.

/Armchair management

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Bah.

please tell me you're being sarcastic

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
The hack was pretty bad but it came at the best possible time it could have, after MS and Nintendo basically gave up on their software lineups and were coasting on third party/shovelware support. Most of the PS3's momentum was in those later years and that the hack has kind of receded from memory just feels testament to how the generation was miserable to all three platform holders in their own unique ways.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
4. Handling of Japan Studio between Gravity Rush and Ape Escape, not to even mention a lack of continuation on The Legend or Dragoon.

5. Lack of cohesive backward compatibility management ecosystem wide. Microsoft is killing them here.
The mass market doesn't care about any of these. They are sore points for us the hardcore fanbase yes but not nearly in the same league as the 3 business-critical errors raised in the video.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
#1 Mistake: Not bringing back Colony Wars in any form for 3 generations in a row. Fix this shit Sony!

599$ was pretty bad too though.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Proprietary memory cards were a mistake, but I always thought the 3DS price slash was the real quick blow to the Vita's knees. Instantly went from very competitive to too expensive.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Their handling of GT franchise is also a huge fuckup on Sony's side.

GT 5 took forever to come because PD did not want to outsource shit.

GT 6 launched on PS3 when it should have been a PS4 launch title.

GT For PSP took forever and was too fucking late.

GT Sports was, well, I mean can you fucking beleive an entire generation passed by without a fully fledged GT experience for fuck sake. I mean WTF were they thinking by releasing an 'episodic' racing game, just finish your damn game and release it, Jesus.

They better have GT7 on PS5's launch date.

Losing Souls series was also a huge fuckup.

And Vita was over engineered as fuck.It should have been cheaper.

/Armchair management
Ahh, forgot ERA=fuck GaaS. GT Sport is my least liked in the series but the things it was able to accomplish in terms of MP and Playstation's involvement in the Motorsport world has been pretty amazing.
PD got away with a lot of stuff cause Kaz is on board of directors at Sony, or something like that.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
4. Should probably be their initial dismissal of Demon's Souls. A rare fuckup from then when it comes to game quality "curation".

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Bah.

People still hold the 2011 hack over their head

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I think the memory card thing is overblown and the Vita was just too precious and beautiful for this wicked world.
Nah, Vita's problems went way beyond that. That thing was a direct result of Sony learning next to nothing from the PSP getting absolutely wrecked by the DS the gen prior, and it showed. It was much more powerful than the 3DS, but not nearly powerful enough to fully realize its promise of "console-quality games on the go". Borderlands 2 was a nightmare there, it barely ran Assassin's Creed Liberation, and most attempts to get the big Playstation franchises on it resulted in highly-truncated versions of the mainline games. The hardware was paradoxically both impressive and "not-quite-there-yet".

(Disclaimer: I admit, I still played the hell out of Persona 4 Golden on it.)​
(Disclaimer disclaimer: Though I'm very glad that game is no longer stuck there anymore.)​

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
These are all focused on games, and while i'd list the PS3 due to just the immense financial loss they took with it, i'd also list other things such as:

-Falling behind in the smartphone, TV, radio, straight up every electronics sector they were in. They're still active in them but they went from top dog in many areas to just "oh right they make some stuff I guess".

-Losing the Betamax wars

-Fucking up the Bluray standard

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
All 3 are during the PS3 era
That kinda puts things in perspective. Christ.

That they were able to bounce back from that is wild.

Yeah, Vita, Sony handheld gaming is toast, but it didn't scar them enough to be scared of trying their hand at VR.

Bah.

I actually thought Demons Souls was gonna be one of the mistakes.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Proprietary memory cards were a mistake, but I always thought the 3DS price slash was the real quick blow to the Vita's knees. Instantly went from very competitive to too expensive.
But that's the point, the expensive memory cards further compounded the issue dramatically. It started off as a "well that sucks but okay" and became a straight up barrier for entry. The 32gb was nearly half the price of the system, the 16gb was the cost of two physical game carts. And it seemed like more and more of a joke every month as non-proprietary storage plummeted in cost. The fact that the Slim refresh didn't suck it up and switch to SD/microSD was the death of adoption rates for that thing.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Yeah these are pretty spot on. PS3 era was filled with so many fuck ups.

Cant hold the From soft thing against them though. Dark souls hitting PC heavily contributed to Souls getting big and if Dark Souls released under Sony, who knows what would have happened.

ClydeBonFrog

Apr 17, 2018
Bah.

They did eventually get Bloodborne, and Demon Souls is coming to PS5, so I would say that the souls mind share is generally associated with Playstation.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Not one of their biggest, but they failed to actually put effort into PSASBR. Cancelling dlc, having unworthy characters in, not having others.

It was supposed to be a celebration of PlayStation. But it felt like just another game to them.