• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
It was smart but it was not a reveal. Far from it.
They just wanted to give people something official to be hyped about while shifting the next gen conversation on them while others like Google and Microsoft have talked so far.
The smart aspect is that in this way they are associating with them certain next gen features and expectations like ray tracing, very quick loading times thanks to SSD, hardware accelerated 3D audio, powerful next gen CPU cores. They also cleared some doubts/concerns about backwards compatibility with both PS4 and PSVR. When the competition is going to announce some of these features as well they won't make the same impact.
At the same time they're not giving away performance numbers, all their plans relatively to new services, new OS-based features and their vision about the future of cloud gaming and PSNow. And obviously most importantly they're not talking about games.
That will take a good while and a dedicated event. But it's clear that they're ready to disrupt the usual timing of announcements and talk about things whenever they see fit and that makes them more unpredictable for the competition.

Oct 25, 2017
But in moving first in such a dramatic way, it's stolen Microsoft's thunder once more – buzzwords like SSD and ray tracing are now associated with the PS5, and will be greeted with little more than a shake of the shoulders when they're inevitably announced for the next Xbox as well. It's nice to know that this company is still as wily as it's always been.
lmao

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Counter with what? They revealed just enough, but not too much where they can't "counter". What exactly did the reveal yesterday that in 2 months will allow MS to "counter". Do you all listen to yourselves sometimes?

And you guys really think that they won't have a reveal of the console and more details. You think this is it and then plop the console will be in our hands? Like come on are some of these comments a joke in here?

You keep saying more eyes, but how is E3 more eyes, if the info is out there it's out there. Social media was going pretty crazy yesterday, it dominated the conversation, didn't have to compete with anything else happening that same day, E3 would have been much more crowded.

Let MS counter at E3, by Sony saying they wouldn't be there, there is no expectation for them set already. MS can do whatever it wants at E3 and Sony will most likely have a conference later that will counter whatever MS does at E3.

I love E3, but you all put far too much emphasis on how much of an impact it has on the general public.

And didn't MS announce their next gen console first?

Thank you for your enlightenment, obviously I was so dumb to think that a GAMING CONFERENCE might have as much reach as a random Wired article in the middle of April and "dominating social media" for a day....

Whew, I don't know what I was thinking...

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know about that. I think it was the cheaper way to do it as social media will spread the news pretty quick, but if they would have done it at E3 they would likely get a lot more coverage, and media outlets talking about it. Itll get a lot more attention from the general public.
That's maybe not what they wanted, since PS4 is still the focus for 2019/2020 (first 3 quarters). They want the general public to be buying PS4s, not waiting on the PS5.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Since when did E3 become some cast off event that people suddenly didn't care about? I'm also wondering why people think an article will generate more buzz than E3?? Crazy pills man.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all are taking this too seriously. They literally revealed nothing. No clock speeds, no TF nothing concrete and hard. Shit we've been thinking Ryzen and Navi since forever. Cerny literally just did nothing. He actually told you a whole lot of nothing.
Umm this isnt true at all we can all read here.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
User Banned (Permanent): Antagonistic behaviour across multiple topics, system warring, and numerous accumulated infractions relating to hostility
OP's so desperate to make a new "Sony's the GOAT" thread that he goes to Push Square, a fan site.

About as dumb as someone using Nintendo Life for positive coverage on Nintendo stuff.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course it was a good move. The sooner you enter the public's mindshare, the better. Furthermore it helps that it wasn't officially announced in a press conference but instead disseminated in an interview because they provided enough details to get you excited by word-of-mouth, but should they feel the need to dial back on a few specs, it won't be too difficult because it hasn't officially been unveiled yet, so it'll be easy to not be faulted for that.

I see nothing wrong with the way they did it and it's also a good way to gauge how your competition is going to respond, in this case Microsoft. Then when you're officially ready to unveil, you respond to what Microsoft announces because they were working with what Sony announced yesterday.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate that they actually put out information so we don't have to continue speculation. People love to speculate, but gamers in particular seem to have a way of turning speculation into flat-out expectations, which almost always backfires. It could be neat.

idk if I'm just cheap though, but I feel like it's still really early to have a new console. I know PS4 has been out for ages, and if we look at the way console cycles have worked previously, it's about time, but we're at the point that we're seeing diminishing returns, yeah? The PS4 can still do plenty. I just hope that the PS5 and whatever the Xbox successor is focus more on processing power and the ability to have better AI, render more things at once, and so on, instead of just more and more and more HD graphics.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oof, that article's pretty much pure fanboy wank bait. Cringing hard.

DangerMan

Oct 29, 2017
What Sony did was fine, but its not comparable to E3; That is all. People trying to say it is, are downplaying how big E3 actually is.

In my circle of friends/acquaintances, there are about 8 people I play online with and not a single one knows what E3 is. I think we really tend to underestimate the degree to which it's an extremely enthusiast event. Personally I love E3, and am sad to see it lessened in any degree by companies deciding to stay away from it, but that doesn't change how few people who play games actually pay attention to it in my experience.

I still would have preferred a flashy E3 reveal though.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
In my circle of friends/acquaintances, there are about 8 people I play online with and not a single one knows what E3 is. I think we really tend to underestimate the degree to which it's an extremely enthusiast event. Personally I love E3, and am sad to see it lessened in any degree by companies deciding to stay away from it, but that doesn't change how few people who play games actually pay attention to it in my experience.

I still would have preferred a flashy E3 reveal though.

I suppose 97 million nobodies watched it on Twitch last year then.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Not to mention it gives a lot of people the go ahead to keep buying PS4 games, especially digitally.

They should have confirmed BC a long time ago.

True. It would be also be good to know if PS5 games will be distributed as a 3rd build target similar to how PS4/Pro games are. So if you buy Last of Us 2 on PS4, will a PS5 build be added when PS5 comes out, or will it be a separate purchase? IMO unless a game is substantially new content (e.g. Shadow of the Colossus HD vs Bluepoint's Shadow of the Colossus remake), it should be treated as one purchase.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
Y'all are taking this too seriously. They literally revealed nothing. No clock speeds, no TF nothing concrete and hard. Shit we've been thinking Ryzen and Navi since forever. Cerny literally just did nothing. He actually told you a whole lot of nothing.
It did confirm a 2020 release date, which considering there was a whole Team2019 vs Team2020 here in Resetera, is pretty significant.

It also confirms BC and PSVR1 compatibility, which also isn't nothing.

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for your enlightenment, obviously I was so dumb to think that a GAMING CONFERENCE might have as much reach as a random Wired article in the middle of April and "dominating social media" for a day....

Whew, I don't know what I was thinking...

If MS shows up on stage at E3 and gives us only as much as that Wired article did, they should be laughed off stage and rightfully so. A Wired article in April on a random Tuesday has no expectation, the small list of things they revealed got people excited and talking about it without having to show too much. But anyways you're welcome.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
The article confirmed several rumors and gave us an excuse for Sony's relative silence on the game and news front. Not a bad bit of news for a tuesday, but we'll need hard specs and some demos before the hype goes sky high.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
If MS shows up on stage at E3 and gives us only as much as that Wired article did, they should be laughed off stage and rightfully so. A Wired article in April on a random Tuesday has no expectation, the small list of things they revealed got people excited and talking about it without having to show too much. But anyways you're welcome.
When they announced Scorpio a year and a half before launch all they did was show CG video of a CPU with Xbox and 4K written on it and just said it was like 6TF of power.

I honestly wouldn't even expect that much from them at E3.

DangerMan

Oct 29, 2017
I suppose it was filled with 97 million nobodies on Twitch last year then.

2.9M concurrent (a new record, fantastic number) and 21.2M uniques would be less disingenuous numbers - and twitch didn't clarify if that was over all channels or just E3 related ones. Great viewership, and awesome to see E3 doing well! Doesn't change my point at all.

Oct 25, 2017
When they announced Scorpio a year and a half before launch all they did was show CG video of a CPU with Xbox and 4K written on it and just said it was like 6TF of power.

I honestly wouldn't even expect that much from them at E3.

Well that's the thing now, with Sony's "reveal", there is even more pressure and expectation on MS during E3, them just saying what Sony did isn't gonna fly anymore.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I love the revisionist history lol. Most or many people on here did not expect the PS5 to have all these things, hell, not even you yourself were sure prior to this reveal.

It's pretty easy to know since they both have the AMD roadmap so your competitor can only be as strong as AMD can make them.

That plus the PS5 is going to be $399 again. The Xbox Scarlet is going to be $499. Sony is confined by price more than anything. They don't want $500-600 again.

So 2020 still makes more sense. Sony knows 7nm will be ready for 2020 but 2019 is what a 50/50 possibility or so? (I know AMD plans to launch their own 7nm stuff then but not sure what effect that will have on Sony). Common sense says you take the surer thing.

I see Microsoft doing full BC, and Sony doing digital migration. Sony likely gonna pull some bullshit here. So look forward to only your digital titles carrying over, if you previously bought them on the PS4 with no way to buy PS4 titles on PS5. PS5 absolutely isn't reading PS4 discs either. PS5 will be the gen of the 4K remaster and letting you have BC will fuck that up.

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017

Cerny told me exactly what I wanted to hear and assured my library carries over.
I love the revisionist history lol. Most or many people on here did not expect the PS5 to have all these things, hell, not even you yourself were sure prior to this reveal.

Savage

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
It wasn't that big of a deal. For me the highlight was knowing that dude Brad Sam, or whatever his name is reveal himself as a petty fanboy.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Playstation-centric website calls Playstation decision genius. Shocking.

On topic: talk is cheap. They can tell us what the console can do all they want, but it'll never be more impressive than showing us what it can do with actual software.
But they did show us. They demoed their super quick loading times to prove their loading times claims. For now they are the only one that actually showed something concerning next gen. They can't show us their next gen games, not with several AAA games still to be released on PS4 this year.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I'd call it that, but I certainly appreciated them signaling to everyone their general intent with the technology. Hopefully that'll encourage the competition, or namely MS, to raise the baseline (assuming they weren't already there).

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Genius move. Now I can go back to enjoying the best console ever released while knowing it's successor is in a good place. Everybody is rest assured that any games they buy now on the ps4 will work on the 5.

They took major spotlight off Xbox and are forcing the hands of MS who might feel like they need to reveal a little more come e3. It gives Sony plenty of time to set their strategy for the ps5 reveal proper.

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
It Takes everyone by surprise and everyone is talking about it so...it works pretty well, also is always great to have a Hardware Architect talking about hardware instead of a PR/Sale guy it was great for the Playsation Pro and it was great yesterday.

Feb 10, 2018
Well that's the thing now, with Sony's "reveal", there is even more pressure and expectation on MS during E3, them just saying what Sony did isn't gonna fly anymore.

Pressure from who exactly?
These notions that the release of next gen info can some how harm the competition is just console war nonsense.

The only difference is people will just know more or less about a platform in certain time periods.
It's basically marketing for the next gen systems, so what they say and how long they say it for is the most important.

All chips will be out soon enough for both players and what hand they have will determine who buys there machine, people are acting like how these companies release info is a game of chess with serious consequences.
But it reality it does not matter how this info is released to the public, its all going to be out in the open no matter how and when they do it.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
E3 reveals are plastered all over the internet in minutes. I learned about this article just from ERA first. There certainly is a difference between E3 and an article. Even more the normal public.
Wired is a general public tech site and all media outlets covered the story.

No offense but you guys are out of the loop if you think average gamers aren't on twitter or Facebook or sites like Wired. It's not as big as E3 no, but Sony got that word out.

And for the record it was called a "sneak peak" something along the lines of PS4's February meeting and full reveal is definitely going to happen.

Having said all that, it wasn't genius. But I liked it...

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Got damn why you do that boy like that

Ascenion lookin like

anigif_enhanced-9176-1428539383-10.gif

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Okay so I've got Backwards compatibility. I admit I didn't expect that. Still don't know a price or power. And that is what actually matters. Not 8K not load time new SSD marketing talk.