• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I see posts about Steam and Microsoft and I think it points out that Sony and Nintendo are almost exclusively shit-tier (Nintendo can especially eat shit).

Steam refunds are super easy and I've had good luck with them, but their lack of can be similar to that of platforms like YouTube.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely incorrect. I've refunded a few things from Steam for a variety of reasons, and each time it took about 2 minutes. I also didn't have to go to a storefront and deal with the person behind the counter asking why I was returning this opened copy.

Not every online storefront has Steam's refund policy, you know.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Yeah it sucks but also do not pre-order digital games.
That's bullshit, in any other platform (Xbox, PC) it's really easy to refund digital games. I believe now it's easy on Playstation too (At least easier than it was before) but you should be able to get a refund on a digital game before release.

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
I had 3 refunds this year from Microsoft on the next 2 days ... ( 1 time cuz the game was so bad lol and 2 times cuz I decided to upgrade the game version to the deluxe) . Very easy from the website.

Sony needs to improve in this aspect. They will do :)

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Support might be extra bogged down today because of the PSVR adapter form crapping out and telling everyone to call.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
yeah sony's CS and refund policy is serious trash.

I had to refund P5 after buying it on sale on the PC webstore once because I bought the wrong version by accident, they did it but the guy was like "as an exception" "once and only" and bullshit like that.

Meanwhile on steam the 2 or so times I had to refund anything it was streamlined and hasslefree as fuck.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
This is one of those topics where snarky "don't preorder digital" sounds perfect.

but Sony shouldn't be so nasty with preorders to begin with

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
I know experiences vary by person to person so why is there no button to cancel atleast your preorder whenever you want. Just put a small icon next to buy option.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Yes, my point is that even if one storefront does it well, the LEGIONS of storefronts that don't do it well are the reason the system is inferior.

False, yet you continue to ignore how difficult it is to return open physical copies.

Xbox store is also easy and Steam-like.

This is specifically a Sony problem.
Don't worry, he will just keep doubling down and has an answer for everything.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I don't doubt OP's authenticity, but I've never had a problem with getting a pre-order refunded.

If I were OP I would just wait until tomorrow. Is there something you desperately need that money for right this second?
Not in dire need of the money atm, but I'm usually busy these days so I had some free time today and wanted to do this while I had the chance.
It's just a hunch. This was a few years ago. It didn't tell me I was banned from chat, it just hid the option from me completely. Rep told me that when that happens, customers need to call. I complained at the time and asked them why they just couldn't give the email rep a flag that says "warning, IP address different than last time. Ask more security questions" or something and they didn't really have an answer for me.

And yeah, I feel your pain on finding who to contact. It should go like this:

1) go to playstation.com
2) click the contact us link
3) Page that lists all contact methods available. Phone number, email address, live chat button etc.

Instead you have t go on a treasure hunt and jump through a million hoops to even be told how you can contact them. It's dumb on purpose so people give up and stop trying.
Thanks then that's probably it. And yea, it sucks that they don't even give a clear way of emailing them about this (it might be that I missed it on the website, I should look again more carefully).
What region are you?

I have it for scandinavia. What you should say to them is that you want to cancel or refund the game in question. In this case Cyberpunk. Then you give them a reason why you want to cancel it (just so they don't question you why and make it so you need to email them again and tell them why). Then you write your PSN ID and it should be golden. If they need more info they will send you an email.
Thank you for the response. I really appreciate it. My account is from NA so I have to find the email address for that.
OP if you were contacting support from a country other than your account region, you will get blocked from support. VPN will likely also trigger that.

The game has been delayed, they will most likely offer you an option to cancel through email.
Thanks, I didn't know the bold part.

Yea, I was hoping they'd send emails today since I have some free time, but they didn't so I tried doing it this way and here we are.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Sony's customer service has always been shitty, & not just in video games.

With all of that money they've been making, you'd think that they would hire better staff.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I didn't know the bold part.

Yea, I was hoping they'd send emails today since I have some free time, but they didn't so I tried doing it this way and here we are.

Yeah its not really advertised for obvious reasons, but that does lead to some folks running into issues like this. The "policy" is in place to prevent fraud, since a lot of account hijacking tends to come from outside regions.

Just keep an eye out for the email, like I mentioned they usually send out emails to cancel (or just outright cancel) when there are delays.

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

I feel your pain. I can't imagine relying on phone support or the chat. Especially knowing what happened to you.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
An automated, no hassle refund option should be baked into the pre-order process. At any point up to say 48 hours of the release you should be able to go to the game screen and simply click a 'cancel preorder' button. Within 48 hours of release is the only time you should need to directly contact Sony customer care for a manual refund.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I guess I don't understand the point in preordering a game digitally. It's not like they're going to run out of copies and the vast majority of early bird bonuses (discounts or free DLC) last through the first week or two after launch. Just buy the game when it comes out, preferably after you've had a chance to check out some impressions to make sure it runs properly and is a decent game.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah its not really advertised for obvious reasons, but that does lead to some folks running into issues like this. The "policy" is in place to prevent fraud, since a lot of account hijacking tends to come from outside regions.

Just keep an eye out for the email, like I mentioned they usually send out emails to cancel (or just outright cancel) when there are delays.
Thanks, I'll def keep an eye out for a potential email.
tenor.gif

I feel your pain. I can't imagine relying on phone support or the chat. Especially knowing what happened to you.
I wonder if I should download PS's app on phone and try that... Or maybe it's just better to wait for the email.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
You don't become the most profitable console in history by providing customer support.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I dunno if it varies country to country but I cancelled a cyberpunk pre order when it was delayed from April or whenever it was.

I feel like I just sent an email and they refunded the credit to my account

In the UK if it matters

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Just another reason to NOT PREORDER SHIT, especially digital. If I want preorder bonuses or content I'll buy the day or two before release. Absolutely no reason to preorder digital more than a week in advance.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
Why do people even pre order digital games? Always seems like theres no cancel policy or its a shit fest trying to do so. Maybe just pre order a day or two ahead of release if its preloading you are worried about?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
You are going to get auto refunded. The Date moved. I got auto refunded when the-preorder date moved The last time they delayed.
I'm pretty sure if a game's release date is delayed Sony automatically refunds the pre-order. Or at least they e-mail you about it.
Yes this is correct It will be refunded. They dont have to lift a finger on it.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I've only had to talk to support once and it was enough for a lifetime. It's absolutely awful.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
This experience isn't acceptable but how is this about 'policy'? Sounds like you got caught by their (perhaps overzealous) spam/bot detector and gave up on phone support.

Phone support has been slow for literally every company I've dealt with for this entire pandemic. Not surprising.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
More and more people are saying that we'll get the refund email soon, so I'll try their website once again tomorrow and if it doesn't work again I'll just wait for the email.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I hate Sony's customer service team with a passion. Plus now they have the bullshit that doesn't let you contact back and says we just helped you. Like wtf? Who does that.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Sony got absolute ass customer service and it's why I do not buy games digitally on their platforms. Would rather deal with retailers. Even they got better customer service lol

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
More and more people are saying that we'll get the refund email soon, so I'll try their website once again tomorrow and if it doesn't work again I'll just wait for the email.
Yeah as soon as the date changes you will get an email and if you do nothing they with the pre-order it will be refunded. Happened to me with it the last delay ironically enough. Def see how annoyed you were, when I had to cancel s madden pre-order it was super simple for me, but they def might as well just allow for a button in store to do It.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I don't understand the point in preordering a game digitally. It's not like they're going to run out of copies and the vast majority of early bird bonuses (discounts or free DLC) last through the first week or two after launch. Just buy the game when it comes out, preferably after you've had a chance to check out some impressions to make sure it runs properly and is a decent game.

You want your online storefront to have good customer service. Especially on a platform wehre the user has so little control like a console.

It's also not like other storefronts struggle with this. Sony is way worse than the other stores at this.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah as soon as the date changes you will get an email and if you do nothing they with the pre-order it will be refunded. Happened to me with it the last delay ironically enough. Def see how annoyed you were, when I had to cancel s madden pre-order it was super simple for me, but they def might as well just allow for a button in store to do It.
Yea, it would ideal if they had a cancel button for digital pre-orders on store. Just let people cancel their pre-orders and refund them in PSN credits if they've used PSN cards to pre-order the game. It should be an automated system tbh.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yea, it would ideal if they had a cancel button for digital pre-orders on store. Just let people cancel their pre-orders and refund them in PSN credits if they've used PSN cards to pre-order the game. It should be an automated system tbh.
Yeah would be best that way. But you should be fine as soon as the date updates in the store. If CD does some bs and doesn't update the date then you still can return and get your credits back

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not excusing bad business practices, but I'll never understand why people preorder digital stuff so far in advance.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I've had 3 refunds from psn and never had a problem. One time it was even after I played a game and just told em it wasn't for me, with no issues.

Don't see how people have these issues. I've been auto refunded a few times as well.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I've read about stories like this before. I don't understand why its so seamless with Steam and Microsoft, but a pain with Sony. They really need to step up their customer service.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Nothing comes close to steam support, it's in another league
A friend of mine had to go to the justice to solve a case of ban because of "suspect behavior". He spent months trying to talked with costumers service and they always said it was impossible to solve
But Sony's attorney came with a offer saying he could get his account back. Guess it wasn't impossible after all