• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
When you're the market leader, you can dance to the beat of your own drum instead of to someone else's.

So much FUD that it almost seems like they're worries the PS5 is actually a myth.

We have strong suspicions that sequels to GoW, HZD and Spiderman are already in the works. That alone gives me confidence in their next gen line up for the first few years.

People should take a deep breath and not tie their identity so much with a consumer product. Maybe then they won't feel like they're having an existential crisis.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They have no reason to say anything. While Microsoft is out there showing their cards; they are sitting back knowing that they have plenty of time since they actually have decent exclusives coming up and don't need to rely on next generation just yet.

Its pretty simple, there is just no need to do anything right now.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
Agreed. I don't understand what people are looking for other than great games.
Well maybe they should become a 3rd party publisher if all they care about is releasing games. As a platform holder they need to do more and communicate with the community on their plans, especially now in a vastly changing landscape for the industry. MS recently released their development stack at GDC to help game development, and they have xcloud cooking in the kitchen. Meanwhile we are left in the dark with Sony's (lack of) platform initiatives. Even cross play is still a huge question mark.

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never thought this would be a concern about Sony to be honest and i don't even own one. If there's one thing they never fail at, it's games.

When they feel the need to announce something i trust they will.

Pennywise

Oct 25, 2017
What's the concern here?

Every person I know that has a PS4 as their main console is happily enjoying the wealth of content currently out for the system. Plus there are more games coming out this year most of us are excited for. None of us are worried about the future of PlayStation. I don't get the desperate need for big updates/news.

It's the concern of those that need a constant flow of new announcements, interviews and other things instead of actual games.

That Quantic Dream would become a multiplatform company was pretty clear after the partnership with NetEase. So it's hardly suprising.
Those 3 titles being released on PC was a suprise, but you can still purchase them on your PS4. Not like they're being suddenly pulled and all copies are burned.
Feels like some people are just miserable, because the word "exclusive" isn't tied to it anymore.

The Google announcement was also hardly something they would need to comment on or "counter" in some way. They got their own platform established and are working on it. It's not going to take away anything from the PS Ecosystem. The competition might actually push them to invest more into it, so hardly a loss.
Are people really that eager to get an shallow opinion on it like the Phil Spencer one?

Overall with no PSX last year and no E3 this year, people are expecting some sort of news. However, these news will come when they're ready. Same goes for the acknowledgement of next gen consoles.
MS spoke about it already, but it's not like there really are alot of details apart from the rumored/leaked stuff.

Games are announced, there are unannounced games on the way and the nextgen is also gonna be there pretty soon.

There's no need for reactionary bullshit. Was already hilarious when people were mad when MS purchased studios and wanted a reaction from Sony right away.
Like they're gonna base a purchase of a studio on something like this, instead of a dozen of actual important factors.

News will follow. People should enjoy their games instead of the circlejerk of news that aren't ready yet.

While we're at it.
One point where I would really enjoy a bit more initiative from Sony is the indie exposure. The direct format from Nintendo works quite well for those games.
Personally there are so many damn indie games, that I'm not really willed to dig through them. Yes, the gems will get noticed through the word of mouth and other things, but a bit more spotlight would be great for those titles.
They did such a great job early in the gen when they filled their E3 with them and I can see that it's hardly possible anymore, but something like the directs would work pretty perfect for me.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
They showed games a little too far in advance, and now they are just buying back some time so that they can surprise us again. I think it's for the best. It's not like there a drought of games coming up at all.

Muntaner

May 12, 2018
It's not a matter of no communication, it's a bad handling of the pace of communication. So much in the past, so low now.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
They have nothing to show. That's why they are silent. Probably will launch PS5 with last of us 2 4k and ds 4k.

No thanks...

3 years not showing any new game... That's their situation with their studios...

Sure there's a chance that TLoU2 and DS will be cross gen but do you really think they aren't working on other next gen games? They aren't going to announce anything for the PS5 until the system is officially revealed.

What an odd hot take on the situation.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
This isn't the school playground. You don't have to have an immediate response to every word that comes out of your opponent's mouth.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's clear that this is driving some people on this forum mad. I run Push Square so I directly benefit from a more open and communicative Sony, but I'm pretty sure once they open the floodgates (and they will) we're going to be hearing from them a lot.

They're just waiting for the right moment, and they've earned that right I think.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Thats the calm before the storm - PS4 is still selling well they dont have to pimp the next-system already because they are in a good space.

There is no need to worry about Sony or the PS5.
PS4 is doing great without a price drop 6 years in, PSN is doing great with massive numbers of sales and PSVR also has had its renaissance last year.

Some of yall seem to be thinking that Sony is doing bad or is worse off - just because the competition is doing better again, thats not how it works. Regardless of what Nintendo or MS do, Sony have their own plans they will execute in time.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sony has definitely become way more stuffy and quiet since Layden took over, for sure. I don't know if it's BECAUSE of him or just because he took over right when they really hit their maximum saturation, but as a company they seem very aloof lately. It feels weird and out of character for them, and if you're not interested in Days Gone they might as well not even exist these days - it's the only thing they seem to market or talk about.

Feb 3, 2018
I really don't understand what they could say without being repetetive and remember there was radio silence from Sony the months leading up to the ps4 announcement as well.

This year is probably gonna be the last hurrah for the ps4 and they have plenty of stuff and some good exclusives days gone coming in april, death stranding and last of us 2 among others they want the focus to be on that, not whatever they are gonna do in the future. I think late this year or early next year we will start to hear news from them.

Chaostar

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Seriously though, it's the odd, quiet period before a generational transition. They're sitting on a ton of PS5 bombas that could go off unexpectedly at any time.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
It's the same thing happened by the end with the last gen. Microsoft kept silent while Sony did a tough job to get back with their feet to fix the ps3. Last gen was the longest gen consoles. So, I hope Sony doesn't make any stupid mistakes as Microsoft did.

So you just going to ignore the whole "one company kept putting games out until last gen ended, the other just forgot they had a system with customers" thing that seems to be happening again?

Feb 10, 2018
Sony has definitely become way more stuffy and quiet since Layden took over, for sure. I don't know if it's BECAUSE of him or just because he took over right when they really hit their maximum saturation, but as a company they seem very aloof lately. It feels weird and out of character for them, and if you're not interested in Days Gone they might as well not even exist these days - it's the only thing they seem to market or talk about.
Layden has been with PlayStation for over a decade, I don't think there goals and business style has changed. Layden was made decisions with the ps4 and PS3 gen before he was top dog. And a lot of other PlayStation management is the same.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
Where did I say Sony has more games in development ??

Another user said Nintendo has more...

Sony games in development:

- Tlou2
- Days Gone
- Dreams
- Ghost of Tsushima
- Death Stranding
- Concrete Genie
- MLB- The Show
- MediEvil Remake
- Erica
- Blood & Truth
- Everybody's Golf VR

Also there's the content being developed under the China Hero Project. I believe some of that is meant to be hitting this year.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
I really don't understand what they could say without being repetetive and remember there was radio silence from Sony the months leading up to the ps4 announcement as well.

Its like some refuse to look to history before making these topics. They were dead silent just prior to Feb 20, 2013. It helped secure this gen's massive victory. But then, these folks remind me of the constant "consoles are doomed" journalists that also ignore history in order to perpetuate a narrative.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Beside some crossplay infos or namechange news, what exactly wanna people hear from Sony ?

Marketing focus is now for Days Gone and soon Dreams.
After DG launch we can expect other news.

Would not be surprised if we get a date for DS or Tlou2 soon after DG launch.

Jul 10, 2018
What are you looking for exactly? As someone who plays a lot of Playstation games, I'm just trucking along and not feeling the need for reassurance on random FUD issues.
People forget that before the internet, you basically got nothing except for CES or E3, maybe a snippet once a month in "Quartermann" in EGM or something. The internet has made people demand info that they just aren't entitled to.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Taking a five minute breather is not silence. We know who they are and what they're doing. They have a lot to talk about in the near future.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
as the Xbox future looks bright, can't say the same for PlayStation since we are left to twiddle our thumbs as they keep us in the dark.
What are you even talking about lol. Sony doesn't need the constant stream of white noise that MS is producing because PS4 speaks for itself. It has an amazing library, the console is selling great, there are future games to be excited about. What "in the dark" do you even mean? When they'll have more games to announce, they'll do it. When there'll be new hardware, they'll announce it. In the meantime, just play the games and stop with this alarmist nonsense.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just nerd hobbies where people feel like they have to be constantly updated by and communicated with upper-level executives?

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well maybe they should become a 3rd party publisher if all they care about is releasing games. As a platform holder they need to do more and communicate with the community on their plans, especially now in a vastly changing landscape for the industry. MS recently released their development stack at GDC to help game development, and they have xcloud cooking in the kitchen. Meanwhile we are left in the dark with Sony's (lack of) platform initiatives. Even cross play is still a huge question mark.
So you're saying Sony should respond to MS's attempts at launching something similar to PS Now, a product that's been around for years at this point?

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
What are you even talking about lol. Sony doesn't need the constant stream of white noise that MS is producing because PS4 speaks for itself. It has an amazing library, the console is selling great, there are future games to be excited about. What "in the dark" do you even mean? When they'll have more games to announce, they'll do it. When there'll be new hardware, they'll announce it. In the meantime, just play the games and stop with this alarmist nonsense.

That OP is imo pure trolling and I am a bit surprised that something like that is allowed here...

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they really need to do a lot. Their games are successful the sales numbers and reviews are proof. Also time is relative. They'll be communicating with guns blazing soon enough with their next gen plans etc. It's only been three months into this year.

All the 2019/early 2020 heavy hitters are still going to be released and there's not much else to say at the moment until next gen is closer. It's just a quieter period for them as current gen enters its last couple of years and all the main games have been announced.

Oct 26, 2017
This is really only a concern for people very eager to defend their console war positions and to update lists of exclusives to argue with other people online. All the normal people who own PS4s are probably just happily waiting for Sekiro to be released this week instead of being concerned with "silence" or Quantic Dreams games going multiplatform.

After reading the OP I was not expecting a sensible post so quickly.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
I have no doubt that Sony will have some interesting announcements to make when it's ready to, being such a powerhouse in gaming. It's the same as trusting Nintendo to come up with something new at this point.
The fact that news from Microsoft and Google (bit underwhelmed by that announcement for lack of games) is coming just should push everyone to be at their best. It's exciting actually.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what you're looking for. If they have nothing to announce they have nothing to announce.

As an xbox fan all the information we get is pretty much fluff. It doesn't mean anything. Its great to talk about service and BC but eventually yes we do want new games too.

That said, you'd probably be dead if you were a Nintendo fan. They say nothing but have a direct every 4 months to assuage you.

Mus1Ckk

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Its not really a bother to me considering , I already know whats going on with their next couple of first party games, and to go even further I don't personally think that casuals care, a large portion of people are actually just playing the new games that have came out and awaiting the PS Exclusives

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine being so wrapped up in a video game company that you feel you're owed constant and direct communication.

ThingsRscary

Banned
Mar 10, 2019
So you just going to ignore the whole "one company kept putting games out until last gen ended, the other just forgot they had a system with customers" thing that seems to be happening again?
It can occur as it happened last gen. Although I don't wish that. Because of Sony, we received a massive amount of great games mostly are Japanese games. So losing Sony is our loss.
In the end, I don't really care about Microsoft first party games. I am sure that they will not be my type of games.
It is a serious thing here. Everyone against Sony .. Microsoft and Nintendo thing that we keep hearing about once and then.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
So you're telling me you're not alarmed and confused by Quantic Dream going to PC?

No. One, Quantic announced last month that they are now under the acquisition of a new company and two, they were never a Sony studio to begin with. If this were a 1st Party studio (with in-house properties) moving to PC, some of that 'concern' would make more sense.

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
LMAO...you want Sony to be loud and obnoxious like Spencer & Co at Xbox? No, thanks. I much rather them be low-key and deliver great products, just as they have been doing.

Natbat

Mar 20, 2019
The topic of "Sony's silence" is not just discussed on Resetera. There are also comments and articles about this on enthusiast media and Sony-friendly sites like Push Square. For many months now.

From 2018
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/03/soapbox_sony_has_become_far_too_quiet
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/08/soapbox_sonys_in_danger_of_becoming_closed_off
Equally irrelevant when I'm driving around town seeing huge billboards advertising Day's Gone. Then switch on my TV and see Barcelona vs Ajax or PSG vs Man U, with every stadium billboard advertising PS4 Pro.

Once Day's Gone releases, and no doubt tops charts worldwide, we'll get a solid release date and previews, for one of their forthcoming AAA's. Leading upto Christmas we'll get a significant PS4 (Pro) price drop. Then likely end the year with a PS5 tease.

As I've said, there's no rush. Yesterday's big news is already fading from memory. With social media the churn of news is never ending. Few people beyond niche websites care about what's going on at GDC etc.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Previously PS exclusive titles releasing on PC: "Sony is doomed!"

Previously Xbox "exclusive" titles releasing on Switch: "Xbox future is bright!"

Makes sense.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I feel it's pretty obvious they are in PS5 mode. They have a few first party games coming out that we already know about and outside of that I am assuming their resources are going into building their next gen machine. I am fine with the silence personally.

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
It's weird seeing all the Nintendo threads becoming Sony threads lately.

Sony will be fine. They're prepping for their big not-E3 show and everything will work itself out.

Status
Not open for further replies.