• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Of course MS has. It might not be worth talking about for you.

I mean, Forza's really good.
There's also stuff like Ori and Cuphead, but I'm not sure if I should fully count them since Microsoft were willing to let them come to Steam before they started doing that with more big budget titles. Halo came out, re-sparked arguments about what starting weapons you should have, then kinda faded out. Gears similarly came and went with little discussion.
The future has a few titles worth talking about, but it's hard to say anything about them. Everwild looks cool, but we have no idea what it is. Hellblade also looks cool, but again, we don't know much about it. Then there's a lot of cool games like Tell Me Why, The Artful Escape, West Of The Dead, at least one I can't remember about living in a timeloop, but I had to look at a list to remember most of those. Microsoft isn't a publisher to look to for huge games, they're at a level most indie publishers are with higher average production values. Sony may have games that'll make more of a splash.

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019
If this is the case, one can hope that HZ: Dawn 2 will be a PS5 launch to tile, right? As launching the game on PC to increase its fan base would be a good way to get more people to buy PS5 for its sequel.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
It has nothing to do with PC specifically, it's just that their reach is now larger and broader. I just think there is a possibility the games lose some of their specific traits. Would their next big original game be able to have a gay protagonist now that they are multi-platform, with a bigger budget? I'd hope it would but I'm not sure. There's different leadership and new expectations with this move. I hope I'm dead wrong.

Ah, I think I understand better now. I think you're mistaken if you think multiplatform implies bigger budgets and sales expectations for Sony's AAA offerings, if only because their sales and budgets are already massive; Naughty Dog probably has something approximating a blank check for TLOU2. They make that kind of game because they are really good at it -- in a way that other large publishers are not -- and they make a lot of money doing so. I don't see how going multiplatform is going to change that calculus.

Also, multiplatform vs single doesn't really have much to do with budgets and sales expectations anymore. Everyone is on everything -- or at least on a couple consoles and PC -- because why wouldn't you be? Unless you're so small you literally can't afford a dev kit or you don't have the bandwidth, which obviously doesn't apply to Sony.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
Is there a possiblity that other exclusive games like Bloodborne or Spiderman follow similar path?
Any big game that has the potential to sell a lot on PC will likely be ported moving forward (Horizon, GoW, TLOU, Spiderman). Conversely, I doubt you'll see Sony using resources on porting games with limited appeal (The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush).

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
If this is the case, one can hope that HZ: Dawn 2 will be a PS5 launch to tile, right? As launching the game on PC to increase its fan base would be a good way to get more people to buy PS5 for its sequel.
I think most believe Horizon 2 will likely be at least launch window, yes. However, I doubt releasing the first one on PC will positively impact PS5 sales. They just want to sell older games to people who aren't currently PlayStation customers.

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019
I think most believe Horizon 2 will likely be at least launch window, yes. However, I doubt releasing the first one on PC will positively impact PS5 sales. They just want to sell older games to people who aren't currently PlayStation customers.
If they think it will impact the PS5 sales negatively, then I doubt SIE would make this decision. As sales of a game is not as profitable as sales of a console in the long run. Still, I think if they only bring this game alone and its sequel is a PS5 launch title, it would impact the PS5 sales positively, as it would imply SIE ports it to hype up PS5 launch instead of a change of strategy, and people will probably understand this. However, if SIE also brings other 1st party exclusive, e.g. TLOU, GOW, to PC, I think it will impact PS5 sales negatively, but the sales of multiple games can maybe make it up.

Furthermore, I think if SIE ports the game for its sale only and thinks it will impact PS5 sales negatively, they can do it after the PS5 launch, and it will not have much impact positive or negative on PS5.

Last edited:

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's also stuff like Ori and Cuphead, but I'm not sure if I should fully count them since Microsoft were willing to let them come to Steam before they started doing that with more big budget titles. Halo came out, re-sparked arguments about what starting weapons you should have, then kinda faded out. Gears similarly came and went with little discussion.
The future has a few titles worth talking about, but it's hard to say anything about them. Everwild looks cool, but we have no idea what it is. Hellblade also looks cool, but again, we don't know much about it. Then there's a lot of cool games like Tell Me Why, The Artful Escape, West Of The Dead, at least one I can't remember about living in a timeloop, but I had to look at a list to remember most of those. Microsoft isn't a publisher to look to for huge games, they're at a level most indie publishers are with higher average production values. Sony may have games that'll make more of a splash.
You just said, "
Microsoft hasn't put out much worth talking about on the platform yet, and the future is too vague to talk about.
But now you want to acknowledge the Forza games. They've put out Forza 7, Horizon 3, Horizon 4. Gears 4 and 5 and released Halo Reach, y'know a 10 year old game that still sparked discussion when it came out and sold well for a 10 year old game. You've didn't mention the successful and still ongoing Sea of Thieves. What's worse is you reducing MS to being at the level of most indie publishers with higher average production values when I just named 7 AAA games. That's not even getting into Quantum Break or allowing Sunset Overdrive to be ported to PC.

And then you made a nonsense claim that their future is too vague to talk about. People on PC aren't going to be talking about Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Psychonauts 2, or Wasteland 3 this year? Gears Tactics and MS Flight Simulator isn't going to make an impact on PC? Halo Infinite, y'know a brand new Halo game, debuting on PC at release for the first time is just going to be ignored?

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever

Why wouldn't I just wait for the HZD2 to also come to PC where it will look/perform better AND I'll be able to use cheats/injectors?

Shelling out money for consoles has never looked so pointless from a PC gamers perspective. This gen is the last I ever buy a console. Pretty much everything I bought on PS4 has slowly but surely made it's way to PC which I switched to as my main platform fully in 2018.

Just keep a Switch handy for Nintendo stuff lol.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Why wouldn't I just wait for the HZD2 to also come to PC where it will look/perform better AND I'll be able to use cheats/injectors?

Shelling out money for consoles has never looked so pointless from a PC gamers perspective. This gen is the last I ever buy a console. Pretty much everything I bought on PS4 has slowly but surely made it's way to PC which I switched to as my main platform fully in 2018.

Lol what?

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever

I bought it for the Third-Party JP exclusives, you know, the ones now flooding Steam in record numbers. Sony's first party is largely irrelevant to me, especially with the downfall of SIE J, poor sods were left to hang this gen, and Gravity Daze sent to die.

Honestly, fuck HZD, port the Gravity Daze stuff and at least the PC community will keep private servers alive themselves if they have to.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
You just said, "But now you want to acknowledge the Forza games. They've put out Forza 7, Horizon 3, Horizon 4. Gears 4 and 5 and released Halo Reach, y'know a 10 year old game that still sparked discussion when it came out and sold well for a 10 year old game. You've didn't mention the successful and still ongoing Sea of Thieves. What's worse is you reducing MS to being at the level of most indie publishers with higher average production values when I just named 7 AAA games. That's not even getting into Quantum Break or allowing Sunset Overdrive to be ported to PC.

And then you made a nonsense claim that their future is too vague to talk about. People on PC aren't going to be talking about Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Psychonauts 2, or Wasteland 3 this year? Gears Tactics and MS Flight Simulator isn't going to make an impact on PC? Halo Infinite, y'know a brand new Halo game, debuting on PC at release for the first time is just going to be ignored?

I'm just gonna add that in 2013 Microsoft released Age of Empires II HD on Steam, and that game has been in top 50 for concurrent players ever since, year on year, and it received 2 new expansions before a Definitive edition was brought out in 2019- at which point BOTH versions charted with high concurrent users.

That's not even mentioning the announcement of Age 4, and DEs for the other 2 games in the series. Microsoft started with a fumble, but they've put in a ton of damn good work on PC this gen to win the player's trust back after burning many bridges in the 360/GaFWL era.

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019

Becase there is no guarantee that HZ: Dawn 2 will come to PC, as HZ: Dawn 3 might not be a PS6 launch title.

I bought it for the Third-Party JP exclusives, you know, the ones now flooding Steam in record numbers. Sony's first party is largely irrelevant to me, especially with the downfall of SIE J, poor sods were left to hang this gen, and Gravity Daze sent to die.

Honestly, fuck HZD, port the Gravity Daze stuff and at least the PC community will keep private servers alive themselves if they have to.

Well, I am in the situation as you, except that I can understand Asian language enough to play the game. Hence, in the unlikely senario, if SIE commits fully to PC, i.e. if this port is not for hyping up PS5, and if Japanese developers like Falcom, Atlus, Vanillaware, and SEGA still launch their games excludivly or much earlier on PS, I will still get a PS5 when they start to move to it. Otherwise, if they start to release PC version within a year of the PS5 version, I will stick with my PC and Switch like you said.
Though the thing for me is the devs usually release the Asian version on PS only, and port the game to Steam when releasing Western versions, which can take years.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I'm just gonna add that in 2013 Microsoft released Age of Empires II HD on Steam, and that game has been in top 50 for concurrent players ever since, year on year, and it received 2 new expansions before a Definitive edition was brought out in 2019- at which point BOTH versions charted with high concurrent users.

That's not even mentioning the announcement of Age 4, and DEs for the other 2 games in the series. Microsoft started with a fumble, but they've put in a ton of damn good work on PC this gen to win the player's trust back after burning many bridges in the 360/GaFWL era.
Game pass on PC is nuts too, I find myself opening the xbox app when I boot up my PC even more than steam right now tbh.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
You just said, "But now you want to acknowledge the Forza games. They've put out Forza 7, Horizon 3, Horizon 4. Gears 4 and 5 and released Halo Reach, y'know a 10 year old game that still sparked discussion when it came out and sold well for a 10 year old game. You've didn't mention the successful and still ongoing Sea of Thieves. What's worse is you reducing MS to being at the level of most indie publishers with higher average production values when I just named 7 AAA games. That's not even getting into Quantum Break or allowing Sunset Overdrive to be ported to PC.

Forza 6 Apex was also f2p version with decent amount of content.
Killer Instinct.
Original Gears of War remaster.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
As launching the game on PC to increase its fan base would be a good way to get more people to buy PS5 for its sequel.
When have companies ever done this?

We don't know, it could be they are just porting PS4 games since they are done selling.
Considering that Death Stranding is also coming to PC I think we know exactly why they're doing this but some people are really having trouble coming to terms with it so they're coming up with really illogical reasons behind this move.

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019
When have companies ever done this?

Considering that Death Stranding is also coming to PC I think we know exactly why they're doing this but some people are really having trouble coming to terms with it so they're coming up with really illogical reasons behind this move.

I don't know, as I am no expert on gaming history. Even if no company did this before, this sounds reasonable (see my analysis below). There is a first for everything, as the market leader, SIE can afford to and has the responsibility to be a little bit more innovative.

For Death Stranding, it's not a first party game, I don't know what deals SIE made with Kojma. To be honest, I am a PC gamer myself, somI would be very happy if SIE goes full PC, as it will save me the cost of a PS5. I just don't mind it very likely (also see my analysis below)

If they think it will impact the PS5 sales negatively, then I doubt SIE would make this decision. As sales of a game is not as profitable as sales of a console in the long run. Still, I think if they only bring this game alone and its sequel is a PS5 launch title, it would impact the PS5 sales positively, as it would imply SIE ports it to hype up PS5 launch instead of a change of strategy, and people will probably understand this. However, if SIE also brings other 1st party exclusive, e.g. TLOU, GOW, to PC, I think it will impact PS5 sales negatively, but the sales of multiple games can maybe make it up.

Furthermore, I think if SIE ports the game for its sale only and thinks it will impact PS5 sales negatively, they can do it after the PS5 launch, and it will not have much impact positive or negative on PS5.

Last edited:

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Illogical is assuming PS5 games will follow suit since we have nothing from Sony about their PC plan, it's all just speculation based on a PS4 game coming to PC, also Death Stranding isn't even published by Sony while Horizon would be, whatever that Death Stranding deal was it was made under the old leadership.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know, as I am no expert on gaming history. Even if no company did this before, this sounds reasonable (see my analysis below). There is a first for everything, as the market leader, SIE can afford to and has the responsibility to be a little bit more innovative.
The issue is your framing and missing the part where they're less concerned about strict console sales and more about the profits to be made by focusing on an ecosystem.
Illogical is assuming PS5 games will follow suit since we have nothing from Sony about their PC plan, it's all just speculation based on a PS4 game coming to PC
It's not speculation when you look at the reasons why they're moving to an ecosystem.

Death Stranding isn't even published by Sony
What?
3Nx2jlw.png

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
That's EXACTLY why there's no point in individual PS or Xbox consoles anymore. They don't need to sell a stupid $500 box if they're just trying to get everyone to subscribe to their own online services. You don't need to pay $600 for your Comcast cable box.
What's wrong with choice? Some people prefer to run games locally and that's fine.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
On the one hand I'm ecstatic that HZD is going to be PC because that means that more people will get to experience this amazing game! I loved my time with it so much and I can't wait to see what others think of it!

On the other hand, this is just another daily reminder that my laptop is no longer good enough to play these kinds of games :(

But I'm very very happy tho that HZD is heading to PC too :D

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Not having official word from Sony about their strategy is the definition of speculation.
Considering that this isn't even the only game coming to PC, and it's easily inferrable as to why they're doing this when we look at their competitors, specifically MS. It's pretty much common sense. They aren't doing this for shits and giggles and PS5 sales.

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019
The issue is your framing and missing the part where they're less concerned about strict console sales and more about the profits to be made by focusing on an ecosystem.

It's not speculation when you look at the reasons why they're moving to an ecosystem.

Well, the thing is sales of a game is not as profitable as sales of a console in the long run. If they port more games, which I hope so, then maybe it can makeup the loss of tax charged on 3rd parties from loss of console sale.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Well, the thing is sales of a game is not as profitable as sales of a console in the long run. If they port more games, which I hope so, then maybe it can makeup the loss of tax charged on 3rd parties from loss of console sale.
It all contributes to the idea of profit. Not ONE thing is the money maker. It's several things.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018

To be clear, I don't think it will negatively impact PS5 sales in a truly meaningful way, positive or negative. I believe a very small segment of core gamers will drop PS and move to PC, but Sony seems confident that loss will be outweighed by the boost in software sales.

I also don't believe this move will help PS5. If people didn't want to buy a PS4 to play Horizon, they won't buy a PS5 to play the sequel when the precedent is set that it will be ported in a few years.

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019
It all contributes to the idea of profit. Not ONE thing is the money maker. It's several things.

Of course, but there is a poll thread out here suggests many people will not buy a PS5, if SIE goes full PC. This would be an opportunity cost and a pretty big one at that. I can only hope that sales of games on PC can make that up, but I am not so sure about that. From the revenue data published, SIE is far ahead of third party developers, which suggests the opportunity cost of loss of console sales is hard to overcome. However, I cannot know for sure and can only hope that it can make it up.

Last edited:

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019
To be clear, I don't think it will negatively impact PS5 sales in a truly meaningful way, positive or negative. I believe a very small segment of core gamers will drop PS and move to PC, but Sony seems confident that loss will be outweighed by the boost in software sales.

I also don't believe this move will help PS5. If people didn't want to buy a PS4 to play Horizon, they won't buy a PS5 to play the sequel when the precedent is set that it will be ported in a few years.

Maybe HZ: Dawn as a new IP is not that easy to sell to people, but if people played it and became a fan, then they might want to buy a PS5 for that, as buying PS5 if there is a big exclusive seems to be many people's mentality.

bender

Oct 27, 2017
More people experiencing their games, more revenue from said games. Seems like a win, win and the knock on effect of easier game preservation. Sony can always keep a huge gap in release dates to keep demand for their consoles high.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I think 6 months to 1 year is fine. The games will still be fresh enough but it's long enough not to impact console game sales much.

Most people who want to play a game badly will still buy it day one on console.

Some people might wait for the PC version, some people will double dip and PC only player's will buy them if they are interested in them. I think this will be a good decision for Sony.
Hasn't history shown that timed exclusives are kinda toxic? Might even decrease sales?

There will be some double-dipping but the negativity will flood enthusiast boards and social media from jealousy at the release, every thing that is slightly off will be highlighted as a game breaking thing. Some will surely wait for the assumed better version but then might not bother buying the game later when the hype is gone, etc.
/Rise of the Tomb Raider, Red Dead Redemption 2

I'd say it's always better to maximize the sales potential at the first release, strike when the iron is hot.

I guess we'll see what happens going forward, MS will soon release their 1st party exclusives day 1 on Xbox, Gamepass, xCloud, MS store and Steam. We'll still see negativity from PS gamers but there should be a bigger pool of gamers that highlight the positive things going forward.

Personae

Oct 29, 2017
I hope Sony continues with games that can benefit from being on pc. Dreams, Bloodbourne and Gravity Rush are some of them imo.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Correct. I don't LIKE playing on PC. I prefer the console experience, outside of the incredibly dumb online subscription fees. But as of late there are less and less actually exclusive reasons to own ANY console, with Sony's first party output starting to contract and focus around particular genres I'm not super excited about. On the other side of the fence, Microsoft has NEVER given me enough games to justify owning their consoles either, despite the occasional exclusive that piques my interest like Lost Odyssey or Dead Rising. That's why I'm saying it's almost a better idea for me to just use the money to replace my broken PC and not have to worry about their dumb subscription services.

The best case scenario for me would be an affordable machine that can play both Sony and Microsoft's games, that way I'm not forced to pick one and wind up stuck with only its first party games (SonyEra is well aware of how worn the hell out I am on not getting any RPGs from them) or spend a catastrophic amount of money on two virtually identical consoles that offer almost nothing unique to justify having them both in my house and take up a ton of space I don't have.

If you dont like playing on PC, that makes litterally 0 changes to your situation.
Your console will still be an affordable 400 to 500 bucks device to just play games.
It's fine if all its games can be played elsewhere.

Jeff6851

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, have to go by some data to better make an educated guess rather than pure speculation, and the poll threads are the best thing I can get for now. Something is better than nothing as they say.

Era is a board for gaming enthusiasts and our thoughts will not reflect the typical person interested in PS5

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If you dont like playing on PC, that makes litterally 0 changes to your situation.
Your console will still be an affordable 400 to 500 bucks device to just play games.
It's fine if all its games can be played elsewhere.

I don't like playing on PC, but I would rather suffer that miserable shit than pay $500 or 600 for a console with no exclusives and even less games than this gen, which already sucked enough as it is, and then ALSO be forced to pay a shitty online tax.

There is no good option anymore. That's why I want the console war to end. I want Sony and Microsoft to get the hell over themselves and just put all their games on ONE console instead of trying to pretend their paltry first party stables are justification enough to waste money on two otherwise identical consoles.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, but there is a poll thread out here suggests many people will not buy a PS5, if SIE goes full PC. This would be an opportunity cost and a pretty big one at that. I can only hope that sales of games on PC can make that up, but I am not so sure about that. From the revenue data published, SIE is far ahead of third party developers, which suggests the opportunity cost of loss of console sales is hard to overcome. However, I cannot know for sure and can only hope that it can make it up.
A reactionary poll that comes right after a mega thread where people can't seem to help but make absolute muppets of themselves, repeatedly, is no indication of anything really. Once the PS5 stream starts, the shiny new console gets revealed and the new console details start coming in you'll start seeing the opposite happen and folks will start claiming how the reveal has made them ditch their PC plans and they're committed to Sony again and yadda yadda.

Also this whole thing highlights the fickle nature of fanboydom; just a week ago people were patting themselves on the back for Sony flexing at CES but not a week later and one 3 year old game is maybe coming out for the PC and suddenly everything is over, the sky is falling down and the death of consoles begins here. Crazy talk.

Having said that, the idea that some Sony fans are angrily adding things to their amazon wishlist in a mix of angry yelling and eager excitement is making me lol.

323-3235723_cry-rage-meme.png

YES Amazon, I would like to add this SAMSUNG EVO SSD to pair up with my SABRETOOTH ULTRA INSTINCTS motherboard and bring my gaming to the NEXT LEVEL. GOD Im so excited to BUILD this fucking THING!

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I don't like playing on PC, but I would rather suffer that miserable shit than pay $500 or 600 for a console with no exclusives and even less games than this gen, which already sucked enough as it is, and then ALSO be forced to pay a shitty online tax.

There is no good option anymore. That's why I want the console war to end. I want Sony and Microsoft to get the hell over themselves and just put all their games on ONE console instead of trying to pretend their paltry first party stables are justification enough to waste money on two otherwise identical consoles.

erm...why is nintendo given the exception...LMAO.