• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But like, what has changed for the worse in this scenario? All that's happened is that the PC has become a more enticing/viable option. Otherwise nothing has changed on the console side.

Yeah, I mean meeting more than halfway I can sort of get it. If you are a PC enthusiast this is great for you but if you are a console enthusiast there's little upside in this arrangement for you. But at the same time I don't see how having more of a choice is bad. Like before if your main reason for locking into a platform was because they had you locked in with the exclusives, isn't it nice that you can consider another possibility going forward? And if you stay with consoles for the convenience then nothing has changed.

The reason to try something like this is simple. There's lots of maneuverability. On PC there are various strategies you can attempt all the way from going all in and releasing everything day and date on a PSN PC platform to late ports released on Steam just to get additional sales once the PS5 sales have cooled off. They can exert themselves or pull back as it makes sense to do so. There's not pressure to be locked into anything once they make a move. This one game can be a PS5 exclusive, this other can be PS5-first and PC later, while this other game can release on both simultaneously.

When the proposal becomes "well if they're releasing on PC anyway they should just standardize one neutral console and release everything there" it's not clear how this is supposed to work. Sony and Xbox aren't going to share a walled garden. And if it's a completely neutral box then we're just talking about a PC.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's true, anything can happen but it we can make a reasonable prediction that this won't impact their hardware sales in any meaningful well, considering the fact that 3rd party titles play a heavy part in hardware adoption even though they're also available on PC.
Sony fanboys are the ones that buy multiple consoles in a single generation, they buy every Sony exclusive that they release, they buy extra controllers and accessories for their consoles, they buy all multiplatform games on the PS store

they are PlayStations biggest spenders and would be the last people I would want to upset if I was Sony just imo

it can be more damaging than people realize imo to the brand etc

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Sony starts putting all PlayStation exclusives on PC, that would be awesome news for users in this community. We've had several polls within the last couple months about console ownership and PC, and it seems like if Sony does this then the majority of us would be PC only gamers. That would be an amazing time!

It turns out that 67% of PlayStation gamers in this community (without Xbox) already own a gaming PC!
Before these rumors, over 50% of PC gamers were planning to buy a PS5 (compared to 10% XSX).

Less money to walled gardens, and more money to game spending!

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
If you are a PC enthusiast this is great for you but if you are a console enthusiast there's little upside in this arrangement for you.
There is. Because they can now forecast higher potential sales/longer legs, they will take more risks in development to bring us more complex games. This does benefit console gamers I feel.

Giving horizon another chance to meet an entirely new audience is great for the devs and 4 the gamers.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Sony fanboys are the ones that buy multiple consoles in a single generation, they buy every Sony exclusive that they release, they buy extra controllers and accessories for their consoles, they buy all multiplatform games on the PS store

they are PlayStations biggest spenders and would be the last people I would want to upset if I was Sony just imo

If they are that invested, why would they buy a PC though? What are their other options? Buy the "enemy's" console and not have access to the Sony exclusives? Are they really just going to up and leave gaming over it, or are they just going to begrudgingly keep buying Sony stuff because in reality literally nothing has functionally changed for them.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is. Because they can now forecast higher potential sales/longer legs, they will take more risks in development to bring us more complex games. This does benefit console gamers I feel.

Giving horizon another chance to meet an entirely new audience is great for the devs and 4 the gamers.

Right, but that's less tangible then some sort of a trade wherein it's something like "OK, PC players can play Horizon and in exchange PS4 gets League of Legends (insert another PC exclusive here if you prefer)."

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

That's not how this market works. It's not going to be damaging to the brand. If you're seriously insinuating that Sony's multi billion dollar PlayStation business is being propped up primarily by fanboys then I don't know what to say.

You don't sell 100m+ consoles and multiple hundreds of millions of software off the back of fanboys buying all of your shit.

And those fanboys aren't going to start moving to PC either.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
"PlayStation didn't just die...it was MURDERED"
Can't wait to see that in my YouTube recommended

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
We haven't heard any strategy talk, just news about Kotaku sources saying HZD will come to PC. Linux + PS would still reach more customers than just PS, and PS is hardly a disaster ;)
Anyway, I would make a dual boot day 1, I'm there whatever they choose to do.
Jason said HZD is coming to Steam and EGS, so I'd say there's zero reason to speculate about a possible Sony OS or using Linux.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
If they truly enjoy the plug and play experience of the console, it should of no concern that Sony games are on PC. PC games have always existed, there's no reason to feel like there's less value playing on consoles.

If you like consoles, you'll keep playing consoles regardless of where the exclusives end up. It's like PlanetSmasher is getting upset that more options exist. Not that I think they're a fanboy or anything, but I'm just baffled at why they think consoles are devalued.
But like, what has changed for the worse in this scenario? All that's happened is that the PC has become a more enticing/viable option. Otherwise nothing has changed on the console side.

Honestly? I don't know. The only semi-rational explanation I can come up with is that some people like having their choice made for them (when games are locked to a box, you must buy the box to play them) and when they are presented with options, each with its pros and cons, they grow resentful at having to make a decision.

it IS baffling. I firmly believe that more options is better for everyone in the end.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's not how this market works. It's not going to be damaging to the brand. If you're seriously insinuating that Sony's multi billion dollar PlayStation business is being propped up primarily by fanboys then I don't know what to say.

You don't sell 100m+ consoles and multiple hundreds of millions of software off the back of fanboys buying all of your shit.

And those fanboys aren't going to start moving to PC either.
Like I said if they do go all in we won't know for sure if it hurts the bottom line or not until 5-10 years

if Sony ever starts releasing all their exclusives on pc I personally won't be buying them anymore because it will annoying me that I'm not playing the best version of the game, and I'm not going to spend 1,000$ just so that I can play the best version

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I honestly don't think the PC sales gained are really worth the loss of exclusives. MS does it because their main goal is selling subscriptions, so they don't care where you play their games. But, let's say for example, Breath of the Wild was released on PS4. How much less would the Switch sell if that was the case? It's the same with Sony putting their exclusives on PC. I think it's a bad strategy, and really doesn't encourage new players to join the PS ecosystem. If anything, it gives them an out so that they don't have to do so.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Like I said if they do go all in we won't know for sure if it hurts the bottom line or not until 5-10 years

if Sony ever starts releasing all their exclusives on pc I personally won't be buying them anymore because it will annoying me that I'm not playing the best version of the game, and I'm not going to spend 1,000$ just so that I can play the best version
Weird; just play the game dude...Seriously

I waited to play DQ11 on Switch, the worst looking version of the game and I loved it. I even bought it on PC to admire how beautiful it looks maxed out at 4k but that bored me within 5 minutes; you gotta just enjoy these games for what they are, especially now. No PS5 game made by Sony is going to look bad at minimum.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
If Sony starts putting all PlayStation exclusives on PC, that would be awesome news for users in this community. We've had several polls within the last couple months about console ownership and PC, and it seems like if Sony does this then the majority of us would be PC only gamers. That would be an amazing time!

It turns out that 67% of PlayStation gamers in this community (without Xbox) already own a gaming PC!
Before these rumors, over 50% of PC gamers were planning to buy a PS5 (compared to 10% XSX).

Less money to walled gardens, and more money to game spending!
lol the first one is an old thread of mine, there are far too few votes to draw any conclusion from that.
But no doubt PS4+PC is a big group here.

This thread is like a runaway train though

Just a kind reminder, this is awesome news and I love it, but the only thing we know for sure is that Kotaku's sources has said that HZD will come to PC. Nothing else. It's still a big thing, a fantastic thing, but anything else, any strategy change, any other future release, it's all fantasies at this point.

Sony themselves hasn't said a thing about HZD on PC or even hinted about a changed strategy.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Weird; just play the game dude...Seriously

I waited to play DQ11 on Switch, the worst looking version of the game and I loved it. I even bought it on PC to admire how beautiful it looks maxed out at 4k but that bored me within 5 minutes; you gotta just enjoy these games for what they are, especially now. No PS5 game made by Sony is going to look bad at minimum.
Of course switch won't be as good it's portable that's different, you lose the better version to gain portability

G_O

Oct 28, 2017

Does that mean you play zero 3rd party games?

edit: never mind already asked above

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol the first one is an old thread of mine, there are far too few votes to draw any conclusion from that.
But no doubt PS4+PC is a big group here.

This thread is like a runaway train though

Just a kind reminder, this is awesome news and I love it, but the only thing we know for sure is that Kotaku's sources has said that HZD will come to PC. Nothing else. It's still a big thing, a fantastic thing, but anything else, any strategy change, any other future release, it's all fantasies at this point.

Sony themselves hasn't said a thing about HZD on PC or even hinted about a changed strategy.

Right for sure, some insiders have said there's probably more games coming. But as someone who has had Xbox One, PS4, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, and Switch, I'm mostly just crossing my fingers.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

sony's biggest spenders aren't the fanboys who are obsessed with exclusives, it's the average gamers who buy the most popular console (which happens to be PS4 right now) to play the latest CoD/FIFA/Rockstar game, and the newest third party games. exclusives are a big, important bonus, but they're not the main reason most people bought their PS4. if you were to look at the list of top 10 best selling games on ps4, you probably won't see an exclusive game in there. top 20, maybe 1 or 2.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Of course switch won't be as good it's portable that's different, you lose the better version to gain portability
I see what you mean, but my point is that if the PS5 is going to be the bottom end version of a game made for PC as well, it's still going to look amazing. We're at a stage now where that will happen.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017

If you really can't enjoy something because someone somewhere might be having a better experience with it, that is really unfortunate. I hope you can find a way to overcome this someday.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I mean meeting more than halfway I can sort of get it. If you are a PC enthusiast this is great for you but if you are a console enthusiast there's little upside in this arrangement for you. But at the same time I don't see how having more of a choice is bad. Like before if your main reason for locking into a platform was because they had you locked in with the exclusives, isn't it nice that you can consider another possibility going forward? And if you stay with consoles for the convenience then nothing has changed.

The reason to try something like this is simple. There's lots of maneuverability. On PC there are various strategies you can attempt all the way from going all in and releasing everything day and date on a PSN PC platform to late ports released on Steam just to get additional sales once the PS5 sales have cooled off. They can exert themselves or pull back as it makes sense to do so. There's not pressure to be locked into anything once they make a move. This one game can be a PS5 exclusive, this other can be PS5-first and PC later, while this other game can release on both simultaneously.

When the proposal becomes "well if they're releasing on PC anyway they should just standardize one neutral console and release everything there" it's not clear how this is supposed to work. Sony and Xbox aren't going to share a walled garden. And if it's a completely neutral box then we're just talking about a PC.
I don't disagree with anything you're saying, but I do wonder how flexible they can be about which games come to PC and which don't, given that Microsoft has a such a simple "all games on PC too" policy, and whatever Sony does will constantly be compared to that. Hopefully it's just a minority of enthusiasts who fit into this category, but I think there's plenty of reason to question the playerbase's tolerance for ambiguity on this subject. Even though rationally *some* Sony games on PC is better than *no* Sony games on PC, people will work themselves into a frenzy about which ones are and which ones aren't. An all or nothing policy that doesn't change is the only way to avoid that. The monetary value of setting policy to appease the nuttiest fans is an open question, of course.

OldSilentHill

Jan 16, 2020
"
Sony's PS4 exclusive Horizon: Zero Dawn is coming to PC this year, sources tell Kotaku.
"

Not only Sony knows to run his bussines, but it also helps the PC industry and get more money for it for a game that has been released around 3 years ago.
Sony always wins. If Sony wins, the videogame industry wins.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
Never felt like replaying the game after finishing the main story and DLC, but thinking about how much better it would look and run on pc, I just might.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"
Sony's PS4 exclusive Horizon: Zero Dawn is coming to PC this year, sources tell Kotaku.
"

Not only Sony knows to run his bussines, but it also helps the PC industry and get more money for it for a game that has been released around 3 years ago.
Sony always wins. If Sony wins, the videogame industry wins.
what's "the PC industry"?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I used to think like that when Pro and X was rumoured, but then I thought about any other product in my life and realized that I never have the best version of it and it's still okay. It's a dangerous mindset to think that you must have the best there is of everything or it's no use to have it.
And a friendly advice, until you've got rid of those ideas: Do Not Buy a PC! :s

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I used to think like that when Pro and X was rumoured, but then I thought about any other product in my life and realized that I never have the best version of it and it's still okay. It's a dangerous mindset to think that you must have the best there is of everything or it's no use to have it.
And a friendly advice, until you've got rid of those ideas: Do Not Buy a PC! :s
I bought a pro when it released, it only cost me like 150$ after I traded in my ps4

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was going to be the best version of 3rd party games but that didn't happen so I'm not interested in stadia until they offer what they promised
Even if you had the best PC you could buy, someone, somewhere has something better.

The consoles are all going to provide something in the same general ballpark as PCs, you make it seem like PC versions will be top of the line, while the console versions will be PS2 level.