• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
It's not like you can't already play exclusives on PC via PS Now..

It's fine, nothing will change for us PS console purchasers any time soon.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
It's a marked change from Jim's predecessor's stance; the PS4 Pro was basically designed to mitigate mid-gen users migrating to PC - Andrew House regarded the PC as their main competition.

If that was ever true (and why design a console around the premise?) then this can be seen as a huge U-turn, strategically. It's like saying it's better to have users leave the ecosystem between generations than it is during it. Kind of a strange perspective, if you're taking Andrew House's position from 2016. This implies that Jim has some different strategy for the next-gen transition, and that we may not see mid-gen upgrades, next-gen.

Which is kinda weird. Because he has previously stated very specifically he wants to move people from PS4 to PS5 in vast numbers. We already didn't really know what exactly he means by that, and now this makes it even more confusing.

I guess we kind of have no choice but to wait and see idk.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How is it hard to see that more sales are beneficial for Sony ???
A tiny fraction of Sony's income from their gaming division selling exclusive games. They can double that fraction by releasing it on PC too, sure.

But most of their money comes from their 30% cut on all the third party games that people choose to buy there, that and PSN subs/

If people stop buying third party games on PlayStation, and instead just get it on PC, it might not be beneficial to Sony financially in the long run.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like if exclusives are the only thing bringing value to your platform then your platform fucking sucks. This is great on Sony and I can't see how anyone can see this as bad news.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am glad my non console friends in real life will finally see how good these PS exclusive's quality has been. Me pressuring them to buy a PS5 just became a lot easier. Hehe

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Really cant see the problem even if you went nuts and said 5 million less PS consoles would be sold due to some exclusives going to PC. That's still 100 million potential PS buyers if this gen is anything to go by.
Honestly can't see sony releasing all exclusives on PC. Most console players still can't be arsed with PC regardless and that wont change.

Oct 27, 2017
Interested to know what you've based this on, seems like utterly random speculation. Porting to PC is not synonymous with suddenly becoming Anthem. In the PS4 top 10 sellers most of them are single player offline experiences; spider man, uncharted, god of war, horizon, TLOU. If anything this is an indicator of more single player games to come not the opposite.

It's pure speculation that's trying to marry We see the benefit of GaaS quote from a while ago from some PS/Sony head honcho, and Shawn Layden's quote stating MP PS games released for a wider install base. (Though interestingly, the MP part of the quote is never in quotes.) Pure speculation and not even in a negative sense tbh, as I'd love to see PS devs try their hand at something different.

momottolo

Aug 20, 2019
Why some are pretending to be concerned if this move makes financially sense ? I'm sure Sony has top notch business analyst

Lol

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I get why people get mad when a game is exclusive, but the other way around?

I mean seriously? What kind of manchildren are getting mad when more people can enjoy a game?

JKE5e2n.gif

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
I have to say this move is probably to promote HZD2 in late 2021.

Sony would hope to expand the audience as quick as possible since Horizon is still a new ip.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Wait, what if they are only doing this for Horizon to get people hooked and land some more PS5 sales since it is rumored Horizon 2 is a launch title.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Why some are pretending to be concerned if this move makes financially sense ? I'm sure Sony has top notch business analyst

Lol

Because I like save money and get the highest quality product for my money. Oh you mean Sonys financial success don't really care that much. I'm sure LG Display thought they had top notch business analysts.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Wait, what if they are only doing this for Horizon to get people hooked and land some more PS5 sales since it is rumored Horizon 2 is a launch title.
Nobody knows what their strategy here is but I thought about this too. I can't wait for the PS5 reveal and hope they share more about their future plans regarding possible future PC releases/ports too (I mean if there is more stuff planned or if Horizon will be the only one for now).

Oct 27, 2017
Do you actually need it explained to you why a console with no exclusives isn't as valuable a platform as one that does?

A console without exclusives has almost no reason to exist outside of 'affordability' and ease of use. Neither of which matters to me as an enthusiast. A Sony console that has games I can play anywhere makes it pointless. There have literally been hundreds of posts intimating the same thing on here.

Nintendo has a platform with experiences you can only get there, targeted at their core audience. That's a good thing. That justifies buying it in the first place. Sony will evidently concede that aspect of their ecosystem.

I don't understand why 'Sony will make more money!" Is something I should care about. This gen is littered with studios chasing money over all else.

BTW, PS4 and PS5 are the same platform: PlayStation.

P.S. I have a PC I play games on. XOXO

You already own a PS4 and it's a port of a 3 year old game, so it won't affect you and it will allow more people to play the game so I don't see how it devalues the platform for you personally? Sony obviously believes that the increased sales and exposure offsets 'losing' a a few exclusives by bringing them to PC, and I'm sure they have hundreds of analysts looking into this kind of data.

"I don't understand why 'Sony will make more money!" Is something I should care about."
But you care about the "value" of a console you already bought, probably several years ago. You've already had enjoyment with this game for potentially nearly 3 years so I don't see why it makes you bitter when the game belatedly comes to a different platform.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i mean, the PC gamers who waited 3+ years to play this on PC instead of getting it on a playstation aren't magically going to turn into console gamers. they'll either wait for the sequel to show up as well or go "oh well" and move on to other games when it doesn't.
people are reading way too much into this. it's just a move to make some more money off of a game that's done selling on its original platform.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Really interested with the messaging they'll use with the announcement. With Death Stranding they just had to let an independent studio announce it, so it wasn't that crazy, but here they'd have to say it themselves, so I wonder what language it'll use exactly.

Also interested in who's publishing it. If it's Sony themselves it might say a lot. If it's another publisher like DS, it won't mean that much for the future.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also interested in who's publishing it. If it's Sony themselves it might say a lot. If it's another publisher like DS, it won't mean that much for the future.
they're publishing that predator game on PC themselves, probably will publish this one as well. i can't imagine they'll license a premier first party developed title to another publisher.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
For every one of you, I bet there are 3 indifferent PC gamers who won't buy the console but will buy the games - at least.

I say, worst case scenario is their income stays roughly the same, but they are now more consumer-friendly in allowing you to choose how you play.

Best case scenario is they sell more games overall and increase brand awareness yet further.

lol Power to them, I was just responding to a specific thing that poster said.

I already sold my PS4 when I learned that the PS5 will have BC, so I couldn't happier to learn that Horizon: Zero Dawn is coming to PC!

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Horizon: Zero Dawn is one of my most favourite games of all time, and possibly my most favourite PS4 game. I'm glad (if this is true) that more people will get to play it, though, I expect quite a few annoying "the game was unplayable below 120fps" posts and other stupid shit like that.

Horizon is now a 3 year old game and we're approaching the end of the generation, so my guess is - Horizon 2 will be a PS5 exclusive (for a while, at least) and this will actually push more people to buy a PS5 to play it, after they got hooked on the first part on PC.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
I love how when pc gamers compare graphics they use a $1,500 2080ti but when it comes to budget it's some absurd $600 dollar build and try to act like they both are one in the same

he has legitimate issues.
2080 ti costs 1050-1200.
Rtx 2060 has 1.5x gpu perf of a Xbox one x for $299

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
You know how there were people saying that Xbox exclusives dont count anymore because they are on PC? I hope they survive the dissonance.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Should... should I ask how this topic is 59 pages? It's too much to read and I'm afraid to look.

Bought Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4, will happily play it again on PC. When it's cheap, sure, but them's the breaks for reruns.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
Nice! I would love to see PS4 exclusives coming to PC after the generation shift.

I think it would be beneficial for consumers and Sony.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I'm sure there are a bunch of people building PCs right now. Lol. Consoles will always rule this landscape. Computers is a very niche crowd. Lol

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
they're publishing that predator game on PC themselves, probably will publish this one as well. i can't imagine they'll license a premier first party developed title to another publisher.
Yeah, Sony Interactive Entertainment has been publishing multiple games on PC since last year.

They're definitely not doing that just for the fun of it. They're establishing themselves on the new market, PC.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Call me crazy but i would actually buy The Order 1886 and the Killzone SF just for the visual improvement.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Yes! I have been always seeing This face here, when PC gamers didn't care about PS exclusives :p
They were overrated and their awards were fake because press is console centric. I am trying to find a similar post between 3000 here and I can't.

Every fanboy feels the same. You don't need to search. It's just Sony's time today, but every single one, one day or another will wear the mask.