• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I don't think developing for PC would negatively impact anything much if their tools supported it. A tiered plan would just cause the bulk of that market to wait. We see plenty of PC gamers waiting when all they need to do is download a free store. The barrier to entry increases when you need to spend $400-$500 to double dip or buy early. Launching day and date while hype is at its max for the title would likely result in more sales than making some gamers wait where their interest may move onto to newer releases.

The amount of PC enthusiasts who buy a PS just for exclusives will be relatively small compared to the market of PC gamers who would buy day one. There will still be a huge pool of console only gamers to fight over.

Out of curiosity, do you consider this negative news?

Having your title be day one on another platform depending, does have issues. Only titles like Battlefield/Call of duty and other shooters that are multiplayer focused and PC developed focused seem to see those benefits.

Sony is not EA. They are trying to not only sell you the box, but subs, ps+, PSVR, controllers, add ons, headsets etc.

I hope this is something like me and Litebrite talked about that it's a tiered release, and a case by case basis.

Unless they bring PS NOW locally to PC along with PSVR/PSVR2?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Sony is only releasing this game on PC because Horizon 2 is a PS5 launch title. You heard it here first.
I don't think that's the only reason, it might be the reason is the first game they're bringing to PC though.

Been convinced HZD2 would be a launch window title since Guerrilla said they were aggressively staffing up to speed up the rate at which they can develop games.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, do you consider this negative news?

Pretty much. There's no point for Playstation consoles or Xbox consoles to exist without exclusive games. If everything's going to be on PC, then both console platforms basically eliminate the primary reason for their own existences. At that point there might as well just be one unified console platform that plays both of Sony and Microsoft's games instead of this stupid pissing contest between the both of them regarding who can get the most people to buy THEIR version of the same basic hardware specs and pay a shitty subscription for their online service.

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
Not mad at all, will probably pick it up for PC instead if it is same day release. Might even re-evaluate buying any console next gen if this is the future, which is no problem for me. Already invested heavily in a gaming PC with a very nice setup. Only reason I owned a PS4 was for the exclusive titles and pretty much nothing else.

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
You're missing the most important part of what I said - I'm talking about a generic box that isn't made by Sony or Microsoft and is thus exempt from their stupid little "our consoles are identical but we don't want our games on THEIRS" pissing contest. I want a generic console that plays both of their games.

Playstation has zero value as a CONSOLE without exclusives, the same way that Xbox has zero value as a console if all their games are on PC now. End the console war, move Playstation and Xbox to neutral ground.

I get what you are saying but its a very extreme view. I have both a ps4 and xbox, exclusives are great selling points but they are not the reason why I play on console. I think there are a lot of people out there like me as well. Also do you think the huge number of people who buy a console for just fifa, madden or cod give a toss about whether horizon is playable on PC.

BTW I do also have a PC but I just prefer console gaming.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty much. There's no point for Playstation consoles or Xbox consoles to exist without exclusive games. If everything's going to be on PC, then both console platforms basically eliminate the primary reason for their own existences. At that point there might as well just be one unified console platform that plays both of Sony and Microsoft's games instead of this stupid pissing contest between the both of them regarding who can get the most people to buy THEIR version of the same basic hardware specs and pay a shitty subscription for their online service.

If the only thing that matters to you in a console is having games other people can't play, just get a switch.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Maaaan, gimma all the games Sony and MS. A one platform future for me? I'll take it. From mostly console gamer to full PC broyo

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Having your title be day one on another platform depending, does have issues. Only titles like Battlefield/Call of duty and other shooters that are multiplayer focused and PC developed focused seem to see those benefits.

Sony is not EA. They are trying to not only sell you the box, but subs, ps+, PSVR, controllers, add ons, headsets etc.

I hope this is something like me and Litebrite talked about that it's a tiered release, and a case by case basis.

PS Now already has a client on PC, I used it last summer. Unless that's not what you meant?

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa

To the vast vast vast vast vast majority of console purchasers, a game also being on PC does not make it not exclusive. People think there is way more overlap between people who game on consoles and people who game on PC than there really is.

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
The best thing to happen for me in the gaming space in the last couple of years is MS committing to PC, if Sony starts to do this I will be so happy. Even if not day 0.

ProLogY

Banned
May 19, 2018

So I can buy one thing instead of two things to play my games? This sounds like spectacularly good news!

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

There's no point in Playstation because they port select last gen games to PC?

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Your point would only make a semblance of sense if PS5 started putting games on Xbox and vice versa. PC gamers are in the minority. Having a PS or Xbox game on PC doesn't make it not an exclusive. So as long as Xbox and PS games are locked to their specific consoles than nothing really changes.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Welcome to the more platform agnostic future - PC, Console, Cloud, Mobile etc

Exclusives will still exist, consoles and PC aren't dead. Relax

HUNTER BROS ARE YOU READY?
giphy.gif

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Well said. I'm with you on this.

For me if they release their games on pc, no reason to buy their inferior gaming system. I'll just make a nice pc and get all my games that way.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

Thing is, I don't see a PC gamer, who only purchases a PS to play exclusives as the same type of gamer to invest in PS+, PSVR, etc. This is especially true when you consider their current focus in SP titles. If I'm a PC enthusiast, someone who typically doesn't pay to play online, has better VR options on PC, and only got a PS4 to play GoW, HZD, Uncharted, and Spider-Man, what incentive is there for me to buy into PS+, PSVR, or buy multiple controllers?

I'm sure some of them do but enough to turn down a larger pool of PC only gamers that wouldn't touch my product anyways? I'm not sure about that.

I don't think it's anything that bad at all. There will still be A LOT of console only gamers. Despite how some may think online, there are tons of people who have no interest in PC gaming. No matter far far we've come with convenience on PC, it's still a far cry from how simple gaming is on consoles. There is still a huge market of console only gamers for MS and Sony to fight over.

Funny thing is I'm saying this as someone who would love a one console future. =p

EffettoNotte

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 17, 2019
Great news, the more people have access to more games the better. I don't get how someone can be bothered by this.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Your point would only make a semblance of sense if PS5 started putting games on Xbox and vice versa. PC gamers are in the minority. Having a PS or Xbox game on PC doesn't make it not an exclusive. So as long as Xbox and PS games are locked to their specific consoles than nothing really changes.

That's kind of my point. The only reason these consoles even exist at this point is a stupid pissing contest between Sony and Microsoft. It's virtually the exact same hardware with slight variations and a bunch of "YOU CAN ONLY GET THESE GAMES HERE but not really" posturing to justify trapping people in their awful monthly online subscription services.

Just end it. Transition to a unified console hardware spec developed by a middleman, put both companies' games on that, and be done with it.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Yea, that's streaming. Not locally. i'm talking like having a local version via steam that you play on your PC with everything cranked.
So, like a local download option through the Now client, sort of like the PS4 has if you sub to the service? That would have to end up either being a full port, or emulation, and I can't imagine trying to emulate a PS4 on current hardware.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
The Last of Us 3 coming exclusively to PlayStation Pass! Only 12.99 a month!

Fuck that.

if this is the future, I;m out. I see why shawn left.

I buy consoles for the convenience , and if I may for the fact it's just put a disc in and play. Plus there's something I like about console hardware.

If this is truly the future I hate to say it, I'm fucking done with Playstation. And I say that as a huge playstation/sega fan.

If I see last of us coming to PC, jesus I might just wait for everything and play on PC only. Which i don't want to do.

Like does Jim ryan not understand how strong PlayStation is as a brand? They are basically the hardcore version of Nintendo. They can't be touched in the space of story driven single player experiences?

How as a company do you not look at that and see our brand is strong because of those type of titles.

Truly hope this is a more tiered approach then a day one approach.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't you upset that MS was buying developers because, since you can't afford multiple consoles, it would lead to less games you could play🤔?

Shouldn't you be happy about this? Eventually you'll only need one platform.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's kind of my point. The only reason these consoles even exist at this point is a stupid pissing contest between Sony and Microsoft. It's virtually the exact same hardware with slight variations and a bunch of "YOU CAN ONLY GET THESE GAMES HERE but not really" posturing to justify trapping people in their awful monthly online subscription services.

Just end it. Transition to a unified console hardware spec developed by a middleman, put both companies' games on that, and be done with it.

I don't get why it's a bad thing to have two companies compete on services, console exclusive games, and ecosystems. Why does having a game ported to PC change this drastically?

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I get what you are saying but its a very extreme view. I have both a ps4 and xbox, exclusives are great selling points but they are not the reason why I play on console. I think there are a lot of people out there like me as well. Also do you think the huge number of people who buy a console for just fifa, madden or cod give a toss about whether horizon is playable on PC.

BTW I do also have a PC but I just prefer console gaming.
Just put of curiosity, if you have a good PC, and can play both PS and Xbox games on it, why prefer Consoles? What is better about them vs PC? I ask as a Console Gamer trying to get the jist of what the upsides and downsides of PC are. Kinda more interested in PC than before given this news, and wondering if the jump will be worth it.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Maybe Sony games coming to PC will end the console wars. I'm still buying both consoles because I don't care for PC gaming but I think this will be best for everyone. Now I don't gotta hear " Sony and PC are the best combo to go with" in every damn Xbox thread. Interested in seeing those peoples views on this news. This will expose numerous fanboys. I think we're slowly headed to a PC only future which I think will be best for everyone besides not personally wanting it.
If the biggest games in the world are any indication, we are all heading for a mobile- and streaming future, where ALL dedicated boxes, be they consoles or desktop PCs will be quaint relics of a bygone era, of interest primarily to enthusiasts actually willing to spend money on hardware.

In those circumstances, it's really mutually beneficial for everyone to be able to enjoy as much on all the boxes, imho. Because at the end of the day, both sets could become endangered species in a few decades.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Well said. I'm with you on this.

For me if they release their games on pc, no reason to buy their inferior gaming system. I'll just make a nice pc and get all my games that way.
Lol, no you guys won't.

A ton of people spouting rhetoric like this, but you'll all be in the PS5 launch OT.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Weren't you upset that MS was buying developers because, since you can't afford multiple consoles, it would lead to less games you could play🤔?

Shouldn't you be happy about this? Eventually you'll only need one platform.

That's kind of what I'm driving at, yes. Move Sony and Microsoft's games to a general hardware that can do both. I'm so sick of "exclusive but not really" shit.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
Why take two bottles into the shower when you can take one?

The Personal Computer is head and shoulders above the competition and available for *all your gaming needs.

*Nintendo Switch still required.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of what I'm driving at, yes. Move Sony and Microsoft's games to a general hardware that can do both. I'm so sick of "exclusive but not really" shit.
Well, that seems to be the direction things are headed. I'd honestly expect same day PC releases from Sony by the end of the next generation.

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
Just put of curiosity, if you have a good PC, and can play both PS and Xbox games on it, why prefer Consoles? What is better about them vs PC? I ask as a Console Gamer trying to get the jist of what the upsides and downsides of PC are. Kinda more interested in PC than before given this news, and wondering if the jump will be worth it.

Hard to say the exact reason but I grew up playing consoles and I liked that I didnt have to faff around with my PC or worry about constantly upgrading it. Then that kind of just continued into most of my gaming mates playing on console as well.

Also I work in computing so I like to get away from a PC ,sit on the couch and play games.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Fuck that.

if this is the future, I;m out. I see why shawn left.

I buy consoles for the convenience , and if I may for the fact it's just put a disc in and play. Plus there's something I like about console hardware.

If this is truly the future I hate to say it, I'm fucking done with Playstation. And I say that as a huge playstation/sega fan.

If I see last of us coming to PC, jesus I might just wait for everything and play on PC only. Which i don't want to do.

Like does Jim ryan not understand how strong PlayStation is as a brand? They are basically the hardcore version of Nintendo. They can't be touched in the space of story driven single player experiences?

How as a company do you not look at that and see our brand is strong because of those type of titles.

Truly hope this is a more tiered approach then a day one approach.
Sony/MS/everyone 100% want you beholden to a subscription that you have to sub to for eternity because you don't 'own' anything. That's the dream. Look at every corporation moving in to services.

Era's imaginary magic box utopia would be a shit show. You think all the different storefronts and launchers are bad now? Buckle up. You'll miss the non-perfect way it is now so much. It's going to be a catastrophe of mobile gaming meets Netflix.

Last edited:

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Lol, no you guys won't.

A ton of people spouting rhetoric like this, but you'll all be in the PS5 launch OT.
I've said ps5 might be my last sony console if this is where they are heading.

We dont know too many details on the system yet, I have a large library from ps4 so I'm still looking forward to it but depending on their vision, it's likely I'll transition outside their ecosystem. That simple.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that seems to be the direction things are headed. I'd honestly expect same day PC releases from Sony by the end of the next generation.

I don't want everything on PC. I want a unified console spec so that people aren't forced to spend thousands of dollars on dumb hardware upgrades AND aren't forced to buy two pointlessly identical consoles.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
HUNTER BROS ARE YOU READY?
giphy.gif
I really want this to happen. Would buy it on PC which I'm already going through right now on Ng+++. Better framerate, Better IQ which will make the art of the game even better. Driveclub would have been so awesome too on PC if they didn't shut it down. There's also other games that deserve more sales too like TLG and Gravity Rush.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
User banned (2 days): Platform Warring; Hostility
If the biggest games in the world are any indication, we are all heading for a mobile- and streaming future, where ALL dedicated boxes, be they consoles or desktop PCs will be quaint relics of a bygone era, of interest primarily to enthusiasts actually willing to spend money on hardware.

In those circumstances, it's really mutually beneficial for everyone to be able to enjoy as much on all the boxes, imho. Because at the end of the day, both sets could become endangered species in a few decades.

If that's the future then seriously and no disrespect to you, but FUCK THAT. I LOVE GAMING, HAVE BEEN GAMING SINCE I WAS 4 ON ATARI 2600. Thats not gaming to me, like at fucking all.
Then I guess Ill move on to putting more time into my motorcycles.

like seriously I'm almost having a mental breakdown at the thought. Gaming has been such a giant part of my life, i fucking moved to San Francisco to persue a career in gaming.
I really hope this is the alcohol talking. I love console gaming, I love exclusives, I like the way consoles are designed which is why as much as I bitch I admire Nintendo.

Please don't tell me what I love in creativity in developing a game for certain specs/box is going away.

Jesus.......I need a priest and someone''s shoulder to cry on.....

I fucking hope February comes with a bang, and shows Sony is just doing this for select titles.

Sony/MS/everyone 100% want you beholden to a subscription that you have to eternity because you don't 'own' anything. That's the dream. Look at every corporation moving in to services.

Era's imaginary magic box utopia would be a shit show. You think all the different storefronts and launchers are bad now? Buckle up. You'll miss the non-perfect way it is now so much. It's going to be a catastrophe of mobile gaming meets Netflix.

You going to be my wing-man in this apocalypse? I need someone to save me.