• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
The Russian leaker apparently has this to say:

I'm talking to different developers who are making something for the PlayStation 5, and they said to me that Sony warns them "keep the PC version in mind"

If Sony are planning to support PCs with significantly lower specs than a PS5 (which is the vast majority of PCs) for their future games then I almost wish this wasn't even happening. Maybe that's too far, it probably is, but I'm so so ready to move on from this gen with these weak systems that limit gameplay.

The next-gen consoles were supposed to raise the minimum specs so we can get new gameplay features, or additional ones, things that weren't doable. Now they seem like they're backtracking and delaying things even further.

In the mean time, I hope RTX implementations are damn near incredible to make up for it but so far I've not been seeing great examples for the performance it eats up.

Last edited:

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox lost the poll not because people disqualify it for having exclusives that are also available on PC, but because the exclusives simply pale in comparison to the other platforms in actually quality, correlating to the gulf in critical reception too. You're confusing two entirely different things.

But also some of the stuff mentioned actually IS/WAS exclusive to Xbox consoles. Rare Replay is not on PC. Halo stuff is only gradually coming to PC now. Some are noting the great X enhanced Backwards Compatible stuff that isn't on PC. You are not making your argument well.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Trying to make money several years after the games release on an untouched platform with millions of potential buyers while building even more of an audience for the sequel?

That extra audience will then continue to wait for the sequel to release on PC.

Sure they make money by getting a couple mil extra sales of Horizon but that dilutes the attractiveness of the platform, meaning less 3rd party cuts and less digital PSN sales. The loss of this won't be covered by the few extra Horizon sales.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

tenor.gif

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
At this point, 3 years after the release of HZD, it's basically free money laying on the floor for Sony also the game is not moving any PS4 units anymore. The PS4 and Xbone architercture is basically a PC so the costs of porting are very low.

Also you have a new console coming out and HZD2 probably a launch title, there are lots of PC users that never played HZD and this port could make them want to play the sequel and buy a PS5 to do it.
No they will hold for the eventual pc release. I would. It's a can of worms that cannot be closed ever again.

Actual Sony must now meet pc pricing on their ps store. if Horizon is $1 on steam, they better put it for $1 on psn else they would be treating the console base like crap.

Sony has to be ready to go all the way on pc. They cant do a half ass attempt here.

I expect your ps5 digital copy to unlock the pc version and vice versa. Then on pc you play online for free as PS+ online is not needed.

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon might be my favorite PS4 exclusive. I can't wait to play it at native 4K and 60 FPS. What an age we living in.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
To get you to use the XBOX app, windows store, become a Gamepass subscriber and selling you Windows as a gaming platform? No, it doesn't make sense.
PS plus? Soon or later their launcher... To use dualshocks? To be on their ecosystem on PSN buying dlcs and stuff?

Who the hell will opposed that more people have access to games? Only a fanboy

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No they will hold for the eventual pc release. I would. It's a can of worms that cannot be closed ever again.

Actual Sony must now meet pc pricing on their ps store. if Horizon is $1 on steam, they better put it for $1 on psn else they would be treating the console base like crap.

Sony has to be ready to go all the way on pc. They cant do a half ass attempt here.

I expect your ps5 digital copy to unlock the pc version and vice versa. Then on pc you play online for free as PS+ online is not needed.

They already have price differences with the predator game. They don't give s fuck.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
You're joking right?

Xbox having no exclusives because there on PC was LITERALLY EVERYWHERE. Not even a debate, its an objective fact.

Agreed. In pretty much all Xbox related threads suddenly everyone had a high end gaming rig and would be playing them on there.

In my opinion this is a very smart, logical move by Sony. Will they port more across? Possibly but they won't be day one like Xbox

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Gameplay was such a slog but it's been a visual showpiece since launch and seeing it running at 4K, 60 FPS is going to blow minds so I'm down for the double dip.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That extra audience will then continue to wait for the sequel to release on PC.

Sure they make money by getting a couple mil extra sales of Horizon but that dilutes the attractiveness of the platform, meaning less 3rd party cuts and less digital PSN sales. The loss of this won't be covered by the few extra Horizon sales.

I'm betting this will be more than a few extra sales and that the increased awareness will only help the sequel.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Yep they will probably port the PC version over to the PS5, which they can then use to promote how fast it loads due to the new SSD. Win,Win
I expect Death Stranding on PC to pass on benefit to the eventual PS5 "definitive console" edition. That is as long as they support that base. If they dont do this, its gonna be a slap on the face.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
It hurts their hardware sales because now it's more attractive to have a gaming PC and get both platforms games than limit yourself to one. I mean I know why Microsoft games on PC but not Sony.

I swear some of these posts are acting like they just confirmed GoW and Spidey sequels for PC Day 1. How does porting games years after their retail/marketing run hurt console sales?

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
You realise PC versions have never stopped games being called exclusives right? It's always assumed people are referring to a console exclusive when referring to console exclusives. Else Xbox would be regarded as having no exclusives. Same thing for PS5 exclusives like Persona 5.
Exceedingly disingenuous post by someone who knows better.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Genuinely if this is the new strategy then I don't need a NG console any more. Way easier to justify a kick arse pc when it replaces two consoles not just one.

Zones

Oct 28, 2017
I have never said that, so why are you putting words in my mouth?

I simply said that the ~ $50 million in sales from that particular super popular franchise on Steam is not enough to offset the billions these companies invest in their hardware, software, marketing, and their costly network infrastructure.

I know MCC is not the only game MS is selling and making profit from, so you don't have to tell me that, but generally, these really large publishers need a level of guaranteed income to continue their large investments in purchasing studios and developing games and consoles indefinitely.

Nintendo has their lucrative first-party, Sony has their yearly PSPlus money, and Microsoft currently has nothing, which is precisely why they are betting and investing so heavily on GamePass.

mephixto

Oct 25, 2017

The price of games, discounts, promos etc are totally different on every platform, just check the prices of third party games that sells on PC.

EA, Ubisoft, etc all have the games cheaper on PC and sometimes cheaper on the consoles, that doesn't mean they treating their consumers like crap.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Amazing news! This bodes well for game preservation in the future. I do wonder though how it'll be distributed... Steam, EGS or even a PS PC Store? What a time to be alive.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
this thread is very large

i can only assume they are going to launch some sort of Playstation-exclusive game store where you have to use their app to play the game.

at least it brings up the possibility of playing other exclusive games on PC

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
In light of this news exclusivity for FFVII and Nioh 2 is even more head scratching. Guess old deals just got respected.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018

It's a 3 year old game. It's sold for $10 on PSN multiple times.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Yeah...Sony really needs to come out after almost 2 years quiet.

I've always bought PS consoles and i have no idea what their plan is for this current year and generation.
So many rumors lately that i really hope February gets us something new.