• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
This right here.
"Go on, play our exclusives 3 years after they were released on our hardware, or, you know, buy a ps5 to play them 3 years earlier"
If HZD isn't the only one and they open the gates for real they would get tons of negative PR for holding the games hostage on just one platform, it would be like having a 3 year timed exclusivity deal on every game, and people are angry even by timed exclusives on Epic Store :P

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Oh snap, I think it's gonna be Epic Games exclusive. Sony and Epic seem to have something going on

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This right here.
"Go on, play our exclusives 3 years after they were released on our hardware, or, you know, buy a ps5 to play them 3 years earlier"
That's pretty much what will happen with all their big system sellers, including Horizon 2. That 3-4 wait is only going to make people want it sooner, and likely buy a PS5 for it until they can finally play it on PC all those years later, so it's win win for them.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe - but wouldn't they just wait to have PS Now become more of a bulkier service if that was the case? This isn't really streaming so much as offering the game on a completely different platform.

Well we know they are moving the service to Azure serves the very same MS uses, I think we are going to hear a lot more on Now with PS5 and it will become just like what Game Pass is now.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
That'd be cool, I enjoyed the game but it had a few flaws that could be fixed through mods. Not to mention 60+fps of course.

I'd be happy if Sony released PC ports down the line but if I'm being honest I wouldn't buy a PS5 if they did.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Lmao

EObe1thXkAAkxbn.png

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
In that case, why even release a console? Set up a storefront on PC and call it a day.
Yep. Buying a console instantly becomes a really bad value proposition over time if this is the new normal.

Well that's it everyone, it's over, go home consoles are doomed.

Cringe tweet but not wrong in theory. A console becomes an up front money saver and that's it when it loses exclusive games made for one set of hardware with a cultivated audience in mind.

Only Nintendo, to date, seems to still realize this. It's why they'll continue to thrive and PlayStation's and Xbox's brand down over time.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about it a logical thing they could do is pepper PC with PS4 exclusives the next several years to keep making money on those titles but not release any PS5 exclusives on PC until the PS6 is on the horizon.

That would give time for PCs that could run the games better than PS5s to come down in price (plus requiring the newest m.2 SSDs) and maybe catch a few people who can't wait to play the sequels and get them buying PS5s.
Lmao!!!!! Thanks for the laugh.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I just see zero point in a Playstation vs. Xbox hardware war if unique games are no longer going to be a thing. At that point you might as well drop the two warring brands entirely and just push the entire console industry to some sort of neutral console that neither one owns and that can play both sides' games.

Which would be just fine with me. Always felt this whole console war stuff was ridiculous.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not trolling, I'm stating the obvious and you can't accept it - just like the people in that thread I linked to.
You arent stating the obvious because they are two different situations. Your comparing a business model where MS launches day one on Xbox and PC to a Playstation exclusive game which released 3 years ago. Its not even comparable. Its great this game is coming to PC for anyone who couldn't enjoy it a whole 3 years back but it's a completely different ball park. The generation is almost over and people are losing there shit making out this means the end of console exclusives. Well why stop at HZD? Why not throw them all on in one go? I mean if that's the aim why drip feed 3 year old content. Why not 4 year old UC4? 7 year old TLOU?

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well we know they are moving the service to Azure serves the very same MS uses, I think we are going to hear a lot more on Now with PS5 and it will become just like what Game Pass is now.
I think that'd be the best thing!

Game Pass is fucking awesome and it's made me regret going with PS4 this gen, if I'm honest - so if Sony wants to bring me back, they've gotta announce something on-par.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Sony simultaneously released the pc version with the PS4 version I'd go pc easily. I'm guessing $500 will buy you something equally as powerful as the PS5?

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't see the masses all dropping their low entry consoles to buy a 1000$+ PC, but go off

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Buying a console instantly becomes a really bad value proposition over time if this is the new normal.

Cringe tweet but not wrong in theory. A console becomes an up front money saver and that's it when it loses exclusive games made for one set of hardware with a cultivated audience in mind.

Only Nintendo, to date, seems to still realize this. It's why they'll continue to thrive and PlayStation's and Xbox's brand down over time.
Nintendo will be the last traditional console left and it will only gain them more users, because they will basically be the only one offering it

all the PS Xbox and pc people will be spread out over 3 systems

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Correction: Getting a percentage of 3rd party software revenue is their money maker. So why support a platform where they get exactly $0 from any 3rd party game sold? If people switch to PC because their exclusives are also on PC, Sony will earn less money, not more.

Exactly. The exclusive games to build the user base and support the system but more importantly make it more attractive for 3rd parties for the software revenue. This makes no sense.

Oct 25, 2017
To all those high and mighty people saying "only fanboyz will be upset!" - how do you not understand that this news seems bad for the PlayStation brand and potentially removes the need for a PlayStation console going forward?
only fanboy-ass fanboys think like that, though. Like, who cares. More options for people to play games. we ain't married to THE BRAND, that's some sad shit

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Shawn Layden, chairman of Sony's game studios worldwide

"We must support the PlayStation platform -- that is nonnegotiable," Layden said. "That said, you will see in the future some titles coming out of my collection of studios which may need to lean into a wider installed base."

August 19, 2019
Are we supposed to believe HZD wasn't profitable?

This is a decision made by people who won't be there in 4-5 years to pick up the pieces. Short term thinking with wide ranging long-term ramifications.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thinking about it a logical thing they could do is pepper PC with PS4 exclusives the next several years to keep making money on those titles but not release any PS5 exclusives on PC until the PS6 is on the horizon.

That would give time for PCs that could run the games better than PS5s to come down in price (plus requiring the newest m.2 SSDs) and maybe catch a few people who can't wait to play the sequels and get them buying PS5s.

Nah PS5 exclusives will be coming to PC very quickly or at launch. These dev teams are probably already planning to hit multiple targets. The days of a single closed box are over.