• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Incredibly stupid move from Sony, if true. High quality exclusive games have always been a powerful tool to sell a console and to throw all of that away for... what exactly? Some extra sales that in the grand scheme of things amount to chump change? I guess we're about to find out how much PC gaming really effects console sales.

The don't make much money on the hardware anyway, so selling you a physical PS5 box isn't the money maker. Microsoft is realising this too. The money gets made on the software, so if you put the software out on more platforms, everyone benefits.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Incredibly stupid move from Sony, if true. High quality exclusive games have always been a powerful tool to sell a console and to throw all of that away for... what exactly? Some extra sales that in the grand scheme of things amount to chump change? I guess we're about to find out how much PC gaming really effects console sales.
I see two ways forward with this.

1. Sony starts publishing their exclusives on PC, but with a lengthy delay that guarantees all initial sales happen exclusively on their platform. Allows them to get extra revenue out of older games that otherwise just sit in the catalogue collecting dust.

2. Sony makes a deal that gives them a very prominent place in the PC gaming market - either a big partnership with Epic, or just the creation of their own PC storefront. This gives them a reason to launch their exclusives day-and-date on PC, without concern for how it impacts console sales.

Man, Sony is really not doing a good job of making an argument for why people should invest in their consoles moving forward. If everything's just gonna be on PC eventually, neither Playstation or Xbox need to exist.

I really don't understand the business model here at all, especially when exclusives have always been THE reason to buy a PS machine.
Regular people dont play non esports/mmo games on a computer. Who is going into walmart or going on Amazon to get fleeced on prebuilt pcs or watching 30 - hour tutorials on youtube before building their own and learn about the upkeep of a computer? Certainly not your average consumer. I really don't get posts like these unless you talking from a fanboy perspective .

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
That's interesting. If they're going to do this, I kind of hope they just fully make PlayStation a PC where I can play games with a mouse (like Crusader Kings, etc) but with the simplicity of a console. I've always preferred consoles to PCs anyway.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This isn't true at all, most third party games are on PC and many still see the majority of their sales on consoles. Sony first party on PC would be no different much like in the case of Xbox exclusives. User preference and ease of use are still big selling points (even if the ease of use thing is barely a thing these days but it's still the overriding opinion).

Let's see. Most of my ps friends bought the console for exclusives but don't need more than one platform.

Maybe they take their customers for granted.

Oct 27, 2017
The Russian leaker apparently has this to say:

I'm talking to different developers who are making something for the PlayStation 5, and they said to me that Sony warns them "keep the PC version in mind"

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
One of my favourite games of the generation. I'll gladly buy it again to experience it in high frame rate 1440p.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

I'm going to keep quoting these types of posts until someone can explain to me how they get here from this announcement? Unless I'm missing something and this is indicative of some Play Anywhere type initiative, I'm failing to see how select games far removed from their retail run and no longer being actively marketed coming to PC has any effect on console hardware whatsoever.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Extremely disappointing to me if true.

One of the few people who like exclusives. I would much prefer to buy multiple systems and have each one feel unique and memorable.
Let's be honest. Non-Nintendo consoles since Gen 8 have become nothing more than PCs-in-a-box, and Microsoft has embraced this even further with Series X looking like an actual PC tower. The uniqueness is already a thing of the past for PS and Xbox.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
You're gonna be waiting years at a time though, based on this. It's safe to assume that Sony only feels comfortable bringing a 1st party game to PC long after it has had enough success on PlayStation. In Horizon's case, as a new IP, it took 3 years. Let's think about something like The Last of Us and Spider-Man, which have the kind of power to sell PS5s for a very long time, you'll be looking at what? 4-5 years, if ever? Don't forget they'll be trying to push PS5 sales.

Time waiting doesn´t matter to the pc crowd.
I don´t care if it´s 1 year, 2 years, or longer.
As long as it happens, i don´t need to waste 400-500 bucks on a console that serves no purpose (to me).

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if this is just Kojima Productions porting HZD as part of the deal to use the Decima engine in DS and not indicative of anything more?

Until we hear an official word it's all baseless speculation either way.

I just hope Sony is clear about the messaging here.

IE: "We plan to release our first party games consistently 3 years after they release"

Or: "HZD is a one time release and we have no plans for future PC releases of first party titles"

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not strictly true and it may be the reason why they are trying to push more power in a smaller cheaper package with the PS5

Not everyone wants to take the PC plunge my man. 399 to have all the work and none of the maintenance/troubleshooting, extra gear?

Consoles are just Prebuilt PCs with a warranty and there is value there

Right. What I'm saying is PLAYSTATION and XBOX specifically don't need to exist if this is the direction the industry is going. Sony and Microsoft can collaborate on a hardware standard and just erase the console war entirely. A generic box not controlled by either of them that plays all the games from both.

Just end it. Stop wasting our time and money on hardware that won't provide anything unique.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Let's see. Most of my ps friends bought the console for exclusives but don't need more than one platform.

Maybe they take their customers for granted.

Dude have you been in a PC performance thread?

Not every person has the patience to go through so many hurdles for every game sometimes

Consoles will be fucking fine

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Lol.

I bought a ps4. Doesn't that make me a person that buys console ?

If they port their exclusives to PC I am not buying a ps5.

I can use a controller a PC (like I have been doing for the past 15 years...), the library is steam and gigantic, and many games are getting crossplay now that sony allowed it so the "friends" thing won't apply next gen anywhere as much.

Clearly the exclusives are going to matter then and if they're all on PC we have little reason to get a console.

Congrats. You and I are the minority who can build a PC as we are enthusiasts.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
It is a lose-lose situation. People don't buy SIE games because they are SIE games, but because they make a very good pair with PlayStation consoles. Break a part and break all the magic.
lol. I can't tell if this is sarcasm. "People don't buy games because they are good games. They buy them because they're on their favorite console."

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Sony will completely lose PlayStation identity with this approach. Turning the brand into a pc-like like Microsoft does with the Xbox is simply throwing yourself as a generic alternative in a space that you have no stake in and losing what differentiates you in the space you dominate.

It is a lose-lose situation. People don't buy SIE games because they are SIE games, but because they make a very good pair with PlayStation consoles. Break a part and break all the magic.

And I say that as a person who has the 6 consoles they launched. If this is confirmed, I have no interest in a PlayStation 5.

As a PlayStation fan I'm a fan because I like the games they make, nobody else make those the way I like (very few does and they switch to other stuff after such game).

I don't buy the games because some magical component attatched to the company, it's the developers and quality.

Also I don't have a gaming PC because it's the most uncomfortable gaming platform in existence to me.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Consoles are worthless without exclusives. The PS and Xbox completely overlap in terms of features, so without unique games they might as well just not exist at all. Just kill them both and replace them with a generic box.

I disagree, but even if that was the case, we don't know if every exclusive will go PC, or when. HZD is years old.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Right. What I'm saying is PLAYSTATION and XBOX specifically don't need to exist if this is the direction the industry is going. Sony and Microsoft can collaborate on a hardware standard and just erase the console war entirely. A generic box not controlled by either of them that plays all the games from both.

Just end it. Stop wasting our time and money on hardware that won't provide anything unique.

Most people don't want or own a high end PC. They want a console. They aren't worthless without exclusives, 3rd party rules the roost anyway.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
Cool, more people get to play it.

If I remember correctly, wasn't there some sort of 30fps limit to Decima as an engine?

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
I'm suddenly glad I never got around to this on PS4 since it got lost in the BotW wake for me.

Getting to play it on PC sounds wonderful

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Too bad I already played through it and the expansion on my former base ps4, but I have no doubt some it will look bananas on PC.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

I dont see a standard emerging either way

They would just become another.. DELL or something