• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
FlakyDependentIberianchiffchaff-size_restricted.gif

Nah, this guy looks like an extremely grumpy male salmon

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
This is honestly the way to go. Waste not want not, they should focus their money on continuing to make quality games not 3 different ways to crack an egg. excited for what this means for their output.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
The first global campaign that we ran was around Spider-Man. It's a great game obviously, but it also ended up as PlayStation's bestselling first-party game.

Is this accurate? I think it's behind UC4 right? (And TLOU but that'a across both consoles)

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I am worried that with this new global approach Japan is going to get the shaft and Sony will triple down on gritty AAA action games with less cool fun experiences.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Closest to your home is probably Eastern Europe, where we are building a big PlayStation team there. We are building sizeable PlayStation businesses in Bulgaria, Romania, we're in the Czech Republic now and Hungary. There is serious investment going on and that has been on-going for a couple of years.

Did they build or are they building a Studio in Eastern Europe or is it "just" about marketing and PR stuff?

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's a great interview, so I'm not surprised there are a couple of know-it-alls dragging him on one tiny error he made. I think he knows what he's doing -- he's saying all the right things.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im not up to speed with Sony internal structure, but he comes across much better & forthcoming then the previous guy.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Jim to me looks like an older looking Gordon Ramsay with shorter hair. At least more than the football manager.

694940094001_5785739310001_5785732559001-vs.jpg
I thought the same.

I like the drive by posts about him forgetting one 100 million console and focusing on that and not the rest of the article.

From the sound of the article, it seems that while they are open to acquisitions, they know they can't just go and buy up random ones, both because everything is overpriced and because they need them to gel well with the org. I'm guessing that really does mean more acquisitions like Insomniac, where they have worked together and the studio works well with the rest of the org.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Becoming a global organisation does not, in any way, shape or form, mean becoming an American organisation. I'm living proof of that"
Was the concern really that Sony was becoming too American or that it was becoming less Japanese?

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
2 things.

This more or less confirms the power struggle within PlayStation, and probably explains why several key people have left PlayStation recently.

Also PS Now has increased to 1 million subscriptions thanks to the price cut, and new addition of first party. I still think they should keep these games for more than 3 months, but its a start. Now we will see if people stay subbed, and what kind of future changes they will make.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So the sacking of all these staff and Layden were what? A necessary sacrifice to make PS5 successful? Yeah I think the PS5 and the team as a whole would have been fine with them on the team considering your standing there celebrating your 100 mil sales.

It was a good interview until you look at what is not covered.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I like Jim but he occasionally put his foot in his mouth but he knows what he is doing.

The restructuring explains why they have been quiet since E3 last year. Getting their ducks in a row and come out swinging when the PS5 is revealed.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's really on top of things. Globalizing things has been a Sony goal for like a decade and a half or more. It seems like Ryan is the one to finally get stuff done.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Maybe the folks at the Giant Beastcast will take note of this since when the Layden news hot that could not think of one other Sony executive who was left at the company.

Oct 30, 2017
This is some impressive stuff. Sony seems to really be adapting to be more nimble as an organization. Making key investments in new regions while still streamlining and reducing redundant processes.

Their enthusiasm to talk about their ability to better serve their various teams to drive new initiatives and adapt to new technology is exciting. If anything, this sounds like the opposite of the feared (maybe concern trolled) "Arrogant Sony"

This sounds like a market leader that knows what they need to do to continue to drive their brand.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting read! It bodes well that Jim seems so open to change and revisiting strategies. Playstation Now is already a great example of what a shift in strategy can accomplish. That service had been around for years but hardly got a mention once Game Pass came around. All it took was a few small adjustments to get people talking about PS Now again.

I wish Jim and the team luck for next generation. I'm hoping they'll convince me to treat Playstation as my primary platform again.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
It's good that they're not resting on their laurels. They're in a much better position than they were going into this gen and I am fully confident that they will come out strong right out of the gate.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
This was a really good interview.

A good while ago I remember Shawn Layden talking about something like this in a interview but in regards to development studios, when there was barely any communication between them and how to do stuff (around the PS3 time iirc), and the work they had to do to make all their studios more connected.

I'm surprised there was still this division in the marketing department, what he said about bringing things together makes sense. Also it's great to see their attention to eastern europe too.

Nov 23, 2017
Can we finally shut up about the fact he was trying to sell gt sport at a gt sport event and made a Brit style joke about how gt1/2 looked next to the extremely modern and amazing looking gt sport? Does nobody get that he wasn't being serious?

Guess not

Deleted member 30005

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's a great interview, so I'm not surprised there are a couple of know-it-alls dragging him on one tiny error he made.

The numbers need double checking but he might be talking in the present tense about the transitional phase. PS2 reached 100 million before PS3 launched. Similarly the PS4 reached 100 million before PS5 has arrived. The console people are saying he forgot about, PS1, did not reach the 100 million landmark until after PS2 had reached market. Maybe he just did not fully articulate those terms.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Current Sony leadership really hates PS1 huh.

Can we finally shut up about the fact he was trying to sell gt sport at a gt sport event and made a Brit style joke about how gt1/2 looked next to the extremely modern and amazing looking gt sport? Does nobody get that he wasn't being serious?

Guess not

Oh it was a joke! Yeah, must have been.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The numbers need double checking but he might be talking in the present tense about the transitional phase. PS2 reached 100 million before PS3 launched. Similarly the PS4 reached 100 million before PS5 has arrived. The console people are saying he forgot about, PS1, did not reach the 100 million landmark until after PS2 had reached market. Maybe he just did not fully articulate those terms.

Makes sense to me.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
With Jimbo heading up the division, Shuhei spearheading an indie initiative (especially important for PSVR 2.0) where his heart undeniably lies, and Hermen the boss taking his place to further strengthen their global first-party, PlayStation looks to be in a stronger place than it was going into PS4. I trust these people to focus on what matters most.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't Ryan's biggest fan in the past, but most of what he has said, I agree with.
Streaming, however, I think 5 years is very very optimistic. I mean, maybe to casual type games etc. But nothing competitive, no COD, Battlefield, Tekken or MK, for example, is going to take off on streaming, ever.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Wasn't Ryan's biggest fan in the past, but most of what he has said, I agree with.
Streaming, however, I think 5 years is very very optimistic. I mean, maybe to casual type games etc. But nothing competitive, no COD, Battlefield, Tekken or MK, for example, is going to take off on streaming, ever.
VR probably wont work either as there is zero tolerance for lag there.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
On one side, it seems Sony is making too many changes after one of their most succesful generations and that's a bit dangerous. On the other side it's good Sony is not expecting the next gen to be exact the same as this one and being able to make changes and try different approaches.
Lets be honest here - there's really one main thing that made Sony more successful than MS this generation - and it was exclusives, sure for a period of time PS4 was specwise better than OG Xbox one, but that wasn't the deciding factor for most people. If Sony can somehow manage to compete against MS in their social aspect/party system/crossplat then they will be on a winning strategy that will be hard to compete against. Again, they have already accomplished the hardest part - and that was creating quality games which pushed console sales.