• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if Shawn didn't want to buy studios

Jim is also deeply embedded in their history. Heck I bet there are a ton like Trenton, House, and Layden that just don't want the recognition.

Jim ha done tons for PS brand and is one of the reasons why they so strong in Europe .
He not great at PR but business he know what to do.
Jim certainly is rooted to PlayStation. He may have the acumen to run a ship but he doesn't have the presence. On-stage it's last person I'd want to see represent the brand, whcih is half of the job.

Shuhei Yoshida is personable but he doesn't always seem comfortable presenting.

Scott Rohde might be a shout.

Last edited:

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it's not him leaving on bad terms, he's done quite well as the dude in charge of SIE in possibly their most successful generation ever. Guess it was time for a change for him.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Shawn seemed like a good guy but I cannot see how he can have had much impact with only 2/3 years in charge. Compare the departure to the fanfare from Sony when Tretton left you do have to wonder what the hell has happened.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019
Hope his replacement aggressive in acquisitions and understand the importance of exclusives. Layden made statements that contradicted Ryan's mindset IMO.
I agree. Jim was the only one in SIE that was really interested in acquisitions. Shawn always seemed kind of reluctant when he was speaking about this topic. The odd thing is, I think Shu is also not interested in studio acquisitions for now.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
Tretton, House, Layden.

All three deeply embedded in PlayStation history and all leave a massive legacy, especially the rise of WWS and PlayStation 4.

I'm not confident Jim is the right fella and I'm not confident Sony have anyone to directly replace Layden right now.
lol...as if you knew everyone working at Sony.

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
Good luck to Shawn, I hope it's not serious like health or something. The PlayStation brand is at an all time high right now.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
He's been at Sony 23 years, he's 58 years old. He's been head of SIE for about three years. I mean, can a guy just work to live rather than live to work? I'm sure his retirement plan is solid.

Heck, if I could retire at 58 I'd sure as hell do it.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
While it's clear this was a disruptive, unanticipated shift due to the nature of the announcement, it's really unwise to draw any further conclusions as to the why's and how's of Shawn's exit.

It's always disappointing to see so many delve into tinfoil hat territory.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I wonder how deciding not to attend E3 factors in. The word they chose, "Visionary" made me gulp a bit, because you really felt that he knew what players wanted from games (with perhaps a too big emphasis on cinematic and artsy stuff). I hope whoever replaces this leadership has a taste for games and not just making money.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Tretton, House, Layden.

All three deeply embedded in PlayStation history and all leave a massive legacy, especially the rise of WWS and PlayStation 4.

I'm not confident Jim is the right fella and I'm not confident Sony have anyone to directly replace Layden right now.

Don't be so concerned, man...

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I hope he left on good terms. Best of luck in future endeavours, Shawn! Even if it's just early retirement.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, surprised to see so much of a shuffle at the top end of SIE, seems to be alot of the top recognizable faces leaving.

Wish him the best for the future.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
I wonder how deciding not to attend E3 factors in. The word they chose, "Visionary" made me gulp a bit, because you really felt that he knew what players wanted from games (with perhaps a too big emphasis on cinematic and artsy stuff). I hope whoever replaces this leadership has a taste for games and not just making money.
You're saying this in an age where numerous devs are jumping on the GAAS bandwagon.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
the only reason this sucks from my personal perspective, is it means we've lost the only person since Jack Tretton that i haven't hated watching on stage...and that goes for sony and any other company. everyone else are either cringey or douchey...without exception.

Shu would be great, but his english isn't up for long presentations. and Jim is like a personality black hole.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Is Gio Corsi still there? Give him the presentations jobs. He always seemed fine doing that building the list thing.

Jan 20, 2019
Does this mean Sony at E3 is back on the table?

:p

PUy658X.gif

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shawn is one of the smartest guys in the industry and also one of the nicest and most down to earth.

I wish him the best of luck with whatever he chooses to do next.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
He's been at Sony 23 years, he's 58 years old. He's been head of SIE for about three years. I mean, can a guy just work to live rather than live to work? I'm sure his retirement plan is solid.

Heck, if I could retire at 58 I'd sure as hell do it.
Sure he could, but i figured he would have went out like Reggie and not like.....well whatever this is.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
He wasn't a very compelling conference personality, and I wonder if that has any weight when the PS5 is going to be announced in the near future.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Tretton, House, Layden.

I kinda feel the same. The former three ypu mention, while obviously being businessmen, seem to understand the gamers and love video games and the PS legacy while Jim only seems to be business. Really fantastic at handling business. I really hope, but i am unsure, if he can reach the "hearts" of gamers like, as i said, the foemer three could.

Deleted member 19213

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never cared for his stage presence. I always thought he kinda talked too much and tried to get a reaction out of the audience. I don't see this as anything other than a 58 year old man wanting something different in his life. I don't think it's any deeper than that. Dude paid his dues and wants something different.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seems weirdly sudden and out of the blue, but I wish him a happy retirement.
Hopefully someone equally passionate about games fills in, or Shu gets a promotion :)

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Do they usually hire from within? Shannon Studstill might be a good replacement and it would be good to see more women on stage for Sony.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
I like the decision, never was a fan of his vision.

Jim is doing a good job.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
OK, now that I'm catching up with the news after the end of the work day and I see that SIE Japan's President is also out.

https://gematsu.com/2019/10/sony-in...t-japan-asia-president-atsushi-morita-retires

This is seriously weird.
Layden + SIEJ's president + Forwardworks' president all on the same day.

Edit: Almost as if Sony was cleaning house.
Believe it's the start to a new fiscal year/quarter for a lot of Japan companies? If there's a time to leave then now is as good as any.

Status
Not open for further replies.