• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Jason, where are you? This is exactly the time when we need some of that press sneak fuckery.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Andrew House and now Shawn Layden, two great individuals who helped PlayStation maintain it's brand value throughout their time in the company. Wonder who'd be taking up Shawn's role?

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Shawn always appeared enthusiastic about the games itself. He might have not had the charm and grace that was shown by Jack Tretton, but Shawn had profound passion for games they delivered. It does appear weird that the announcement would come from a tweet :(

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
But why?

You still didn't give me a new COLONY WARS, I won't accept your resignation!

The music was extraordinary and the immersion impressive for a PS1 game.
I know that Space Opera is not very popular in general ((in terms of sales), but a remake of the trilogy would really be welcome!

Anyway, Shawn has been a positive image for Sony, but it's normal to see some changes... we'll see with the new team.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
We have just entered into new financial quarter [Oct-Dec], so it kinda fits that they would do all the changes at once.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Call in the big guns, Sony.

smilingtretton.png
The legend. Would be nice if comes back even if its just temp.
Anyhow good luck to Shawn.

LakeShore

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't it only this year that Shawn and Asad Qizilbash were put in charge of the Sony properties to big screen projects (the name of their official positions escape me).

Guess this bumps Asad to the spearhead of that project.

hopefully everything is alright with Shawn, extremely odd time with the generational console change seemingly close.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
Wow that's a huge blow for Sony. At this crucial time too right before a next generation launch (rumours even saying a reveal as close as February 2020). It all seems a bit suspicious to me. Maybe there were some internal issues.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
Wasnt he only there for like 2 years?

In any case, im not a fan of the way playstation's marketing strategy changed between the first and second half of this gen. From focus on core gamers, traditional console, inclusiveness -esp towards indies- to this weird... silence. Not including indies in e3, skipping e3 all together, not even marketing some of their own games properly. feels like theyve found a real high horse to climb on.

Im not sure if layden was responsible for all that, but im hoping to see a change now.

Last edited:

MILKGOLOLBAD

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 5, 2019
He was a great replacement to Jack Tretton. I hope whoever replaces Shawn is a worthy replacement, too. Maybe Jack Tretton?
Oh yea, Andrew House is gone too. And Adam Boyes ;(

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

In any case, im not a fan of the way playstation's marketing stretegy changed between the first and second half of this gen. From focus on core gamers, traditional console, inclusiveness -esp towards indies- to this weird... silence, feels like theyve found a real high horse to climb on.

Im not sure if layden was responsible for all this. Hoping to see a change anyway.

Shawn was at PlayStation for 23 years.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

In any case, im not a fan of the way playstation's marketing strategy changed between the first and second half of this gen. From focus on core gamers, traditional console, inclusiveness -esp towards indies- to this weird... silence. Not including indies in e3, skipping e3 all together, not even marketing some of their own games properly. feels like theyve found a real high horse to climb on.

Im not sure if layden was responsible for all that, but im hoping to see a change now.

I'd say that was more Kodera and things have already changed since Jim Ryan was promoted

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

He was there a long time, he just did not have a high public profile until recent years. Something some people may wish to bear in mind when they think about - or are 'concerned' about - the comings and goings of people in a large organisation and whether anyone is 'left' that knows the business...

I hope nothing personally amiss is at play here, the wording of the tweet was slightly strange as if something bad had happened (e.g. health or whatever). Hopefully that is not the case. Best of luck to him.

san00ake

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Just for your reference, SIE (Sony Interactive Entertainment) is a Japanese company, with their HQ located in the US.
For most Japanese companies, the fiscal year starts in April and ends in March, which makes Sep. 30 the end of Q2, and also marks the halfway point of the fiscal year.
A lot of companies use this opportunity to re-evaluate their projections and take measures if/when necessary.
I'm thinking the timing of the announcement (end of 9/30 workday in the US) is not coincidental.

Hopefully this is not related to misconduct or anything like that;
PS, as a brand, has been in a weird place the last couple of years in terms of strategy.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Even if this doesn't point to internal turmoil it's still a huge bummer after 30 years to go out in the public eye with a non celebratory quote on Twitter. It's smells of HR spin.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
not to be that person, but I'll be that person: there's a lot of turnover there lately. wonder if there's a reason or just coincidence?
No.

New generation is upcoming and it's normal for companies to restructure for big projects. If there's ever a time for someone to come in to make their mark, it's now.

Expect the new people to lead the PS5 project to be announced soon. Shame it isn't Layden because they've done a lot for Sony this gen.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
PS4 for sure... PS3, PS2 and PS... That's another story.
I forgot this was a possibility / rumor. They never said officialy before PS4 so, yeah, they maybe will ditch it.
If they take the sales score of PS1 classic to make up their mind, they won't do it. To play PS1 they need to put a CD player in PS5 and I don't see them doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.