• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
For what it's worth, my company also announces executives leaving to the public on their last day. They give employees a heads up by like a week at minimum so this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone at Sony. Just to everyone else.

UnInvincible

Aug 30, 2019
Call in the big guns, Sony.

smilingtretton.png

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like weird timing to leave. I hope all is well for him now and in the future.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Big loss for Sony. He's been at the company for over 25 years. He definitely grew into his role throughout the generation in terms of on-screen appearance. Good luck to him.

He's still no Jack Tretton though (nobody is).

UnInvincible

Aug 30, 2019
Cerny is slowly pulling strings behind the scenes and getting rid of all the executives so he can design the PS5 to be the most powerful console of all time, without any meddling. (also green-lighting Knack 3)

mark-cerny-playstation-5.jpg

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Damn, I really enjoyed him as a presenter. He became a great successor to Jack Tretton over the years.

Linkeds2

Nov 15, 2017
North Bay, CA
User Warned: Inappropriate speculation
Sucks. So where's the poll about why we think he left?
My votes are on:

- sexual harassment accusation
Or the new card
- 15 year old tweet

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Sucks. So where's the poll about why we think he left?
My votes are on:

- sexual harassment accusation
Or the new card
- 15 year old tweet
Or what actually happened:
SIE restructure that started last year is finally hitting major positions within SIE.
Question is what is the goal of the restructure.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth, my company also announces executives leaving to the public on their last day. They give employees a heads up by like a week at minimum so this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone at Sony. Just to everyone else.
I work at one of the PlayStation studios. We found out via corporate email at basically the same time the tweet went out.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So much turnover at Sony, and much more than the headlines have said. Huge changes in most departments in fact. I think the development teams have largely been left alone but the executive and producer slots have seen huge change.

Sony definitely need some media friendly/passionate people to put out front. Adam Boyes was great for that but not replaced, Jack Tretton was incredible etc.

Jim Ryan is an excellent executive, but he's not great in interviews or on stage and you need passionate evangelists at the start of a new gen.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the phrasing different?
It contained messages from both Jim Ryan and Layden. Nothing particularly illuminating about the situation. Layden mainly spoke about the privilege of working at PlayStation for so many years and how he'd continue to be a fan in future. Ryan's message just stated the news and thanked Shawn for his service--same sentiment as the tweet basically.

Oct 27, 2017
It contained messages from both Jim Ryan and Layden. Nothing particularly illuminating about the situation. Layden mainly spoke about the privilege of working at PlayStation for so many years and how he'd continue to be a fan in future. Ryan's message just stated the news and thanked Shawn for his service--same sentiment as the tweet basically.
Ok thanks

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't say that I particularly liked him personally. His comments that were directly contradicted here by the Wargroove devs were particularly irksome, not just more broadly with how PS has communicated with their fans this year in particular.

I have a feeling we'll see some articles soon that explore why this happened and what's been going on at Sony recently.

Good to know.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

Shawn wasnt the only one it seems.
SIEJ president left too it seems
Update:
Seems to be retirement

Last edited:

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't do that if I was working for Sony but thanks for the insight.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Strange to see that. I always thought they were very satisifed with his work. Looking forward to know who his replacer will be and what impact it will have on the future of Playstation.

Trevelyon

Oct 30, 2017
Really liked Shawn, didn't quite get his on stage game down, but he improved. But, as was an integral part of early Playstation, hope he keeps on with Sony, or at least stay in the biz.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Jack "mic drop" Tretton left just after the launch of PS4, and now Shawn is going just before marketing start of PS5.

IMO, both timings are good for enabling successor to handle the generation with their direction.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
if the employees knew i think it will go the surface and rumor will starts

Status
Not open for further replies.