• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good luck to him in the future. Hope his retirement wasn't the result of any health or family issue. He always struck me as really principled and forthright.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Oh man, shit like this always makes me nervous. When senior positions leave, I'm always afraid someone is going to take over who wants to shake things up. Hope we don't get some jackass who doesn't value the kind of games that Sony Worldwide Studios has been doing.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Geoff, what did you do?!?!?

(Place your bets on whether Phil keeps his job at Xbox until after the next Game Awards.)

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Oh man, shit like this always makes me nervous. When senior positions leave, I'm always afraid someone is going to take over who wants to shake things up. Hope we don't get some jackass who doesn't value the kind of games that Sony Worldwide Studios has been doing.

As was pointed out, Jim Ryan outranks him, and he says that content is everything.

"Content is becoming more important than ever before," he said.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really interested about these supposed articles Zhuge said we might be seeing. I kind of doubt he'd retire if the current outlook for him were better at the company.

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
I remember being skeptical about him when he was introduced, but he turned out to be a great Playstation directive. I wonder who will be the new faces in Playstation offices now that Andre House is also gone. Maybe the Playstation 4 system architect (don't remember his name lol)

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
vlcsnap_2018_12_06_21h01m43s958.0.png

This was only over a year and a half ago. Things change quickly.
Left Phil on some Sam Fisher shit

"Then it's only me...."

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I wonder if Ryan comments on backwards compatibility and crossplay, compared to Shawn Layden appeareance with all his rivals on the game awards show, reflects the internal struggle of the company and PS5 strategy. I wonder what this means for BC and crossplay in the future, I can see both things quietly shelved due to Jim Ryan personal views on the brand.

Probably only big partners will get cross play at the best.
BC is a given because of architecture. And they need it for Dreams and VR.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Probably just wants to have enough time to play TLOU2.

Hope he left on good terms though, I thought he was cool. I'll miss his legacy of teasing titles through t-shirts

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Finally time for our boy Jim Ryan to take the reins

He'll now be able to spout out his terrible takes on the big stages !

All this changes and people leaving has to be related to the PS5. I fear that many executives are not satisfied, or disagree with how they are making the PS5 and prefer to leave the company. I mean, if everything was going amazing, why would they leave in the first place? Something is not right...

Wtf is happening over there. It's no coincidence..

lmao

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
With regards to the "power struggle" thing, I guess there was no where else for Layden to go. Jim Ryan got the top job, maybe Layden wanted it, but with Ryan unlikely to leave anytime soon, I guess he felt it was time to move on.

The exact same thing happened with Tretton by the way, I remember him deciding to move on when Andy House got the top job.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
All this changes and people leaving has to be related to the PS5. I fear that many executives are not satisfied, or disagree with how they are making the PS5 and prefer to leave the company. I mean, if everything was going amazing, why would they leave in the first place? Something is not right...
umm...... probably not.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Ehhh....didn't that one jolly fellow from Sony leave either right before or right after the ps4 was announced? That didn't spell doom and gloom.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Best of luck to Layden wherever he lands next. It's somewhat unfortunate to see a lot of the faces people have come to associate with the PlayStation brand over the years (House, Kaz, and now Layden) leaving in such rapid succession.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Shawn is 58, has been with the company for 30 years, and saw PlayStation through some of its most successful time ever. Dude deserves a break. I can imagine being chairman of one of the largest gaming brands on the planet is just exhausting.

Also, I just wanna say that he looks damn good for 58. I wish I could age that well

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
With regards to the "power struggle" thing, I guess there was no where else for Layden to go. Jim Ryan got the top job, maybe Layden wanted it, but with Ryan unlikely to leave anytime soon, I guess he felt it was time to move on.

The exact same thing happened with Tretton by the way, I remember him deciding to move on when Andy House got the top job.
Yeah basically what else could he realistically do at Sony? He was already head of SIEA and chairman of WWS. Vice president for the whole company was taken by Kodera, president taken by Ryan. There really was no room for career growth until either Kodera or Ryan leave (and let's just say you don't ever aim to be the vice-president). I'm pretty sure when the Sony restructure happened last year that put Ryan on top, both Ryan and Layden were pitching their ideas to the company. Ryan's won and so Layden is leaving either to retire on a high or progress career-wise.

Like sometimes people here forget that all these execs are people too, with dreams, hopes and families.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Shawn is 58, has been with the company for 30 years, and saw PlayStation through some of its most successful time ever. Dude deserves a break. I can imagine being chairman of one of the largest gaming brands on the planet is just exhausting.

Also, I just wanna say that he looks damn good for 58. I wish I could age that well
Yeah, even if he has other low key work the dude has been running many ships at Sony for so long, that if say - he can't take the top spot any time soon - retiring now while at the top of the mountain he is able to climb, is a great thing to do.

Not only that, but Sony also has loads of money right now they can shift his way to pay for his retirement. I imagine things are gonna get a little tight once the next-gen launches, with its cloudy future and all that madness that comes with it (and the stresses and all that the people running things will face).

Was a super cool dude when I got to meet him, and from his presentations on stage - even if some folks can't handle someone being a little awkward from time to time.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I'm sure in the end nothing fishy happened, but a small part of me can't help but think we haven't heard the end of this story.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A bit more doomed than Nintendo right now.
So like with 3 o's liked dooomed? Damn.

58?? Damn he aged well

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

good post

bad post

lol at some of y'all making hay outa this

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I really liked Shawn Layden so this really does suck. He was a really good person and his presentations were well done. I felt similarly about Tretton and House.

Aug 16, 2019
UK

Exactly . Your comment should be pinned

Macnair

Oct 27, 2017
Mark Cerny to step up?

Wow people talking about internal power struggle. That's in every company.

Status
Not open for further replies.