• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
If he has retired, now is the perfect time. Gives his replacement a few months to get settled before the PS5 reveal.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Well damn....let's hope the new guy can handle that ps5 pressure. SL played it cool outside of that first year when he over dressed for the occasion

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
apparently he resigned? Can anyone give this a reputable translation:

SIE: Worldwide Studio Chairman Sean Raden resigns.

Per twitter translate.

Sony Interactive Entertainment has conducted the following personnel appointments for executive officers.

Record
Executive personnel (end of September 2019)
Retirement

Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC
Worldwide Studio Chairman Sean Rheden

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I wonder if Ryan comments on backwards compatibility and crossplay, compared to Shawn Layden appeareance with all his rivals on the game awards show, reflects the internal struggle of the company and PS5 strategy. I wonder what this means for BC and crossplay in the future, I can see both things quietly shelved due to Jim Ryan personal views on the brand.

Probably only big partners will get cross play at the best.
LMAO people are just spreading misinformation. Ryan said nothing about backwards compatibility much less anything suggesting he thinks it's pointless.

He was at a convention with Gran Turismo games and made a comment on why would people play the old ones when the new ones do everything better.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like he just got on. I know he's been with them for a long time but as this position, it felt like Midway this gen, he was the American face of the PlayStation.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
You do know that Laydens job had many more responsibilities than standing on stage at e3 right?

Obviously. A lot know Shawn for his stage appearances though and being a face of the company and they haven't announced his replacement, although they don't really need to.

Sony have been using their direct videos to communicate lately, keeping everything else behind the scenes, so his replacement might stay behind the scenes.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Whether he is retiring or has resigned, Sony teams are still working on next generation projects which he will have no hand in. His replacement is going to need quite the initiation before the PS5, which is over a year from now. I'm not sure how the timing of his retirement is a cause for concern or alarm regarding the next generation. It's actually quite apt.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Tretton, House, Layden.

All three deeply embedded in PlayStation history and all leave a massive legacy, especially the rise of WWS and PlayStation 4.

I'm not confident Jim is the right fella and I'm not confident Sony have anyone to directly replace Layden right now.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO people are just spreading misinformation. Ryan said nothing about backwards compatibility much less anything suggesting he thinks it's pointless.

He was at a convention with Gran Turismo games and made a comment on why would people play the old ones when the new ones do everything better.

"When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much," said Ryan.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
Says he stepped down effective at the end of September.
Huh. If I'm not mistaken, today is the last day of the 2nd Quarter. Perhaps that's why this happened/was announced today. This also means, we could find out in a few weeks, that PS4 has surpassed Wii and PS1 when the financial report is released.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do your thing, Rhode :P
Whether he is retiring or has resigned, Sony teams are still working on next generation projects which he will have no hand in. His replacement is going to need quite the initiation before the PS5, which is over a year from now. I'm not sure how the timing of his retirement is a cause for concern or alarm regarding the next generation. It's actually quite apt.
It's mostly concern trolling ;)

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Facts.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
All this changes and people leaving has to be related to the PS5. I fear that many executives are not satisfied, or disagree with how they are making the PS5 and prefer to leave the company. I mean, if everything was going amazing, why would they leave in the first place? Something is not right...

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Wow... well whatever the reason, best of luck to him! Crazy to think that just last December, he , Reggie and Spencer were all on stage together at the Game Awards. Now less than a year later, two of them have retired.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
All this changes and people leaving has to be related to the PS5. I fear that many executives are not satisfied, or disagree with how they are making the PS5 and prefer to leave the company. I mean, if everything was going amazing, why would they leave in the first place? Something is not right...

He's been with the company for almost as long as I've been alive. He probably just decided a generation transition was a good time to retire.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Tretton, House, Layden.

All three deeply embedded in PlayStation history and all leave a massive legacy, especially the rise of WWS and PlayStation 4.

I'm not confident Jim is the right fella and I'm not confident Sony have anyone to directly replace Layden right now.

Jim ha done tons for PS brand and is one of the reasons why they so strong in Europe .
He not great at PR but business he know what to do.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow how many prominent people have Sony lost from the PS4 launch.

I know Yoshida and Cerny are still there which is important.

Boyes
House
Tretton
Layden

Aug 26, 2019
PS4 was an incredibly successful console. He probably wants to leave on a guaranteed high note. He's 58 and might not want to see the stress of another console launch.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
Sony's next Chairman is going to be created via Dreams, an unprecedented step for the industry.
In a thread of "uh oh's" and "this can't be good's," there's this fucking GEM.

wYOomdO.gif

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I wonder if Shawn didn't want to buy studios
Tretton, House, Layden.

Jim is also deeply embedded in their history. Heck I bet there are a ton like Trenton, House, and Layden that just don't want the recognition.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK

Or they've been at the company a long time, are confident the future is bright, and feel it's the right time to step aside while the brand's on a high?

Status
Not open for further replies.