• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
Dang, leaving while on top, eh? Wonder if he got a better deal somewhere else, or is just satisfied with his work after all these years and wants to slow things down?

Wishing him the best, regardless.

Seems to happen at the end of most gens, or before the launch of new ones at other companies (wherein a notable lead or exec leaves or appears at another company), like Google's Stadia having Dr Richard Marks come onboard after he was with Sony's R&D for so many years, and Phil Harrison stepping in as their presenter / frontman for elaborating on the new platform.

That's fair. Still, would've imagined he would have loved to be there for the birth of his new baby.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Hope the next person in charge knows how to run the ship. Bit odd they didn't announce an interim replacement at least.

Get ready because Jim Ryan is coming in hot to tell us all about services and whatever else they can come up with to eat our wallets.

These are gonna be real tests of time now.

From the business side of things Jim Ryan runs a tight shop and controls the whole European region... However as a gamer... I don't like Arrogant Sony

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wow... Best of luck to him I suppose.

A lot of big players have moved around ahead of the PS5 launch. Seems like Sony wants new blood in line for the next gen.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
With Sony following Nintendo with their State of Play direct videos and not doing conferences on stage these days, it's not like they need someone to be a face on the stage right now.

All the best to him though, he did a good job.

Neil_Z

Oct 31, 2017
Why people are shocked?

In Sony, the "Chairman" position is always for who will be leaving or retire.

Early this year:

Shu - President of WWStudio

Shawn - Chairman of WWStudio

It is just a matter of time

By the way, I don't like his presentation. PSX and E3 in past few years is really bad in presentation led by him.

Paris GameS Week presentaiton much better

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully their new leaders will continue with the decisions that made this gen so great. Blessing to Shawn in everything he does

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I always felt after the restructure and stuff that his new role felt superfluous, or tacked on, especially in title. It felt like a demotion from an outsider's perspective; I wonder if he always intended to run out his contract and just leave. Especially since Jim Ryan took more power on and people are speculating they don't see eye to eye.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
With Sony following Nintendo with their State of Play direct videos and not doing conferences on stage these days, it's not like they need someone to be a face on the stage right now.

All the best to him though, he did a good job.
You do know that Laydens job had many more responsibilities than standing on stage at e3 right?

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Yeah because clearly all that matters is how entertaining they are on stage a couple times a year for you.
As the consumer, yep. That's the only time I see him. Otherwise he's just the guy in charge of making some of the lamest decisions I've seen Sony make in awhile. From the refund policy to the awful exclusive "content" deals, I won't miss him.

kaftan

Oct 27, 2017
That's fair. Still, would've imagined he would have loved to be there for the birth of his new baby.

I don't think he's that kind of dude that jumps around just to increase his salary. He spent 32 years at Sony and he clearly had much love for Playstation brand. some people with inside knowledge are alleging that this was the result of some internal politics. Will be interesting to hear more about that.

Mario Bilo

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I always felt after the restructure and stuff that his new role felt superfluous, or tacked on, especially in title. It felt like a demotion from an outsider's perspective; I wonder if he always intended to run out his contract and just leave. Especially since Jim Ryan took more power on and people are speculating they don't see eye to eye.
The restructure put Ryan in charge of marketing and Layden as support to Shu. On top of that though both Ryan and Lauren were in charge of their own regional divisions. You can see the restructure paying off as Sony's marketing became noticeably more effective this gen and their WWS games got better as well.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Dude presided when Sony e3 2016 conference happened. Was a class act and his absolute best during that show as well. Thanks for the memories, man.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
He hasn't tweeted for a week and a half, whereas before it looked like he would tweet quite frequently. I wonder if he'll put out his own comment or statement

Mario Bilo

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I would bet money that they have not yet made that determination.
Yeah reading that announcement it seems more like Sony were surprised by the abruptness of this too. Could be personal reasons for Layden otherwise they wouldn't let him out of the contract so easily and quickly.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Andrew House got more of a send off so this is strange with the abruptness of it all.

Nobody at Sony knows who's taking over Layden's role then? Or is Ryan doing that too?

His role has always been kind of weird in that its the exact same thing as Shu's role, but Shu reported to him. They could just get rid of the role and let Shu report directly to Ryan.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
apparently he retired? Can anyone give this a reputable translation:

Last edited:

Alcohog

Apr 18, 2018
You guys speculate a lot. Just like when Jack left and probably every exec before that too.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Why people are shocked?

In Sony, the "Chairman" position is always for who will be leaving or retire.

Early this year:

Shu - President of WWStudio

Shawn - Chairman of WWStudio

It is just a matter of time

By the way, I don't like his presentation. PSX and E3 in past few years is really bad in presentation led by him.

Paris GameS Week presentaiton much better
Shawn was made Chairman of WWS in March last year with a focus on driving new content; not sure whether that would be seen as a sideways or downward step from his previous role as President of SIE America.

Ometeotl

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Platform warring. Accumulated infractions.
Somebody has to pay for Sony just rolling over and letting MS build all the momentum and goodwill going into the next generation

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
He improved a lot. I remember his first presentation and he was a total "suit", really wooden and far too executive, like the MS Don Mattrick Xbox era. But he softened a lot since then and became a really likeable chap. He'll be missed for sure.
Exactly, first presentation was rough but he grew into it and learned to laugh at himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.