• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
vlcsnap_2018_12_06_21h01m43s958.0.png

This was only over a year and a half ago. Things change quickly.

Obviously going to join Reggie in retirement and hang out. That's what they really meant about coming together.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
He was only on for what 2.5 years? Im sorry if this sounds insensitive, but he never seemed like he actually did too much for the brand... the only thing i remember him from is the E3 2017 presentation (or 2018 with the weird church thing they did for TLoUII)

Other than that what has he personally really contributed? (Im honestly curious)
He's been at Sony since 1987.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling we'll see some articles soon that explore why this happened and what's been going on at Sony recently.
I'm extremely curious, but relieved that it seems to be something at Sony and not health related in any way. Sucks that PlayStation is losing a lot of key people, they've benefited from having a bit of a dream team at the executive level in the past gen. Not saying their success won't continue, but we can't underestimate the impact that the folks over there have had on the PS4 gen.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Not to piss on anyone's grave but i never really liked him. He took over and immediately turned e3 into a trailer direct. Coming from amazing 2015 and 2016 e3s, i expected them to continue that fornula but from what i heard he didn't like going up on the stage. That's understandable but i didn't like the conferences under him.

Killing the e3 conference this year was even worse. Just do a small conference. Show something. You can't just not show up to the party just because you are in the lead.

Took the words out of my mouth, thank you.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I can't speak for what he necessarily did behind the scenes but as a public figurehead I'm not sure I necessarily liked the direction that Sony went under his tenure. I guess indifferent. Still, there was a time when I felt Jack Tretton wasn't doing a great job yet by 2013-2014, he had kinda found the right balance. Layden's tenure was comparatively short, but I don't know if this change represents anything good or bad.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Wonder where he'll end up. He was terrible in interviews, and apparently had internal issues with other divisions.
Seems that people liked him though.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Succeeding Jack was quite the task, and although I have no doubts about Shawn's competence, his public persona was ... meh

Tretton and House were execs that had charisma and knew how to please crowds.
I know Layden didn't like big stages and all that, but Sony needs someone like Tretton, Reggie and Phill Spencer to put a face on the brand

But I wish good luck to Layden's, in wherever he goes next

I wouldn't worry much about the PS brand, since PS4 is a beast and all that. Names will change at the top of the chain, but there won't be changes with the PS5 and etc.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to see him go.

It was really great to see his humility on display in the talk acknowledging the past mistakes, and I just hope his replacement can match up.

Good luck Shawn and thanks for championing such amazing talent and content.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn that sucks but I'm hoping some of his thoughts and initiatives still persist. Hopefully Sony will be more well rounded and provide experiences for all tastes and interests. I know Shawn was disappointed with their lack of multiplayer centric titles.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Was never a fan of the persona the man put off but you definitely cant argue with the success he had while in charge. Interesting to see the future of SIE going forward, the industry is better with their success (said as an Xbox fan).

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Loved Shawn press conferences.

I'm sad to see him leave he is a gamer at heart.

I am really stroked where we go from here.. Last thing we need is Arrogant Sony coming back or a Sony that loses its focus.

Who's replacing the man?

Also it sounds like we gearing up for the next gen already

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Wtf is that camera movements, i laughed more than I should have. :D
I'm thinking the camera person didn't realize their camera was live, and they decided to check focus at that moment.

I've been a camera op for some live events in the past and generally we like to dial in camera settings while our camera isn't live. The technical director should have quickly cut to another camera lol.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling we'll see some articles soon that explore why this happened and what's been going on at Sony recently.
Ken Kutaragii has come to reclaim his throne

(株式会社セリウス Kabushiki-Gaisha Seriusu), located in Shibuya, Tokyo, was a computer game developer founded in 2007 as a venture between Sony and Bandai Namco Holdings. The aim of the company is to "help take share from Microsoft Corp. and Nintendo Co." [2] Sony hopes that the company will make up for the losses it made during quarter two of its financial year. 'Father of the PlayStation' Ken Kutaragi was announced as CEO.

Bandai Namco Holdings holds 51% of the company, and Sony holds 49%. The company plans to use Sony's Cell microprocessor, the heart of the PlayStation 3, for PlayStation 3 games and games for mobile phones and personal computers.

the plan is all coming together

Their only project was a Ridge Racer game for the PlayStation Vita.[3][4] It was panned by critics.

... or not

Founded:June 3, 2007; 12 years ago
Defunct: February 29, 2012

Deleted member 25448

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Doesn't surprise me that this has happened. I always said Jim Ryan was the cause of PlayStation's silence ever since he took over. Jim Ryan's an arse. Best of luck to you Shawn.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Curious what the power struggle could be about. Hopefully whatever the outcome is good for us consumers.

That has to be rough to suddenly be out of the company you've been with for 30+ years.

Status
Not open for further replies.