• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ikarus

Oct 30, 2017
Thoughts:
  • I'll bet this took the greater part of a week to work through Sony management and the setting up of a bespoke refund system. So the call was probably made Monday or Tuesday at the latest and took two to three days to tell with CDPR, work out PR messaging, put in place the necessary customer support pathways.
  • Bethesda's got to be sleeping well now that they're bought by Microsoft and don't have to have future titles risked of being delisted by Sony for their jank. ;)
  • Definitely this sends a message to the industry, do not try to obligate Sony for your quality issues. This is precedent setting.
  • Rockstar has got to be quite smug.
  • MS should follow suit. Plays decently but I've had two crashes on my Series X already, untold bugs and I'm maybe 5 hours in. I've seen the One S footage and it's painful. This was not ready for prime time. I'm wondering how they feel about their marketing partnership right now.
  • One more - I bet Life of Black Tiger sells more now off the back of all of its references this week than it has in the last two years combined. Just for the curiosity/train wreck factor.

Last edited:

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
You know, if they didn't release that PR statement saying everyone could get refunds I bet the pressure wouldn't have hit Sony and MS as hard as it did.

Pretty much fucked themselves. Oh well, glad those who want a refund will be able to get it. What a mess.
Yeah, I think the only reason this game is being pulled is because of the refunds and CDPR either not asking Sony or telling them beforehand.

Anthem was just as bad when it shipped. Half the time playing was spent loading and praying it didn't get stuck or having it kick you out of the world and back into the hub making you load back into the world again praying for the 1000th time it didn't lock during it. I swear my friends and I must have had to completely close the game down hundreds of times because there was no way to quit the loading screen loop. Missions were constantly failing to progress and you'd have to redo them. The loot system was entirely broken with rare loot being worse than common loot or rares and commons sharing the exact same weapon model. The game was a complete mess but zero refunds were offered because EA just kept quiet about it. I never played Fallout 76 so I can't speak to that games' issues compared to Cyberpunk but it sure looked broken from the videos and reviews. Zero refunds offered for that game too because Bethesda just kept quiet about it.

There's no question that the game shouldn't have released in the state it did but it sure does seem that if CDPR just followed the usual playbook when it comes to broken games they wouldn't be having this game pulled from PSN. Those other games are just as bad or in my case with Anthem way worse than my experience with Cyberpunk has been.

Those other games and their publishers didn't fuck with the money and were rewarded for it. CDPR telling people to ask for refunds if they're unsatisfied with the game fucked with the money and it got pulled off the store because of it otherwise those other games would, and should, have been pulled as well.

Oct 25, 2017

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Fuck should never have opened my physical copy. The retailer I bought it from is not taking it for a refund anymore. Stuck with a lemon.

This is one where digital owners have a massive win.

Wait, I understand they took it down off PSN so you can't BUY it, but you mean to tell me if you own the physical disc you're not able to download it either? Essentially a disc you can't play?

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, I understand they took it down off PSN so you can't BUY it, but you mean to tell me if you own the physical disc you're not able to download it either? Essentially a disc you can't play?
Oh you can still play don't need to download anything as it I stalls from disc. With it crashing my console all the time it is not something playable and who knows if Sony allows patches.

diditstart

Dec 3, 2017
Los Angeles

No. Updates and support will continue via PSN. Some retailers won't take back opened games probably. I'd email CDPR about it and see if they can help if you want to return it.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
My prediction:

Sometime in late first quarter next year they patch PS4 and XBO to "better" shape. And by "better" I mean it's probably averaging low 20s framerate at 900p PS4 in the city and maybe manages to get to 30 fps pretty consistently inside of mission areas. Pro and X at least get above 1080p and on rare occasion may get to 1440p. PS4 and XBO never get any substantial content for the game after this outside of a few patches or hotfixes.

Second half of next year they announce a next gen exclusive enhanced edition. This edition will be a free upgrade to all Cyberpunk owners. This will be the first proper next gen version- no standalone "next gen" patch in 2020 as expected. Enhanced Edition includes new content additions that were originally planned as DLC and expansions to the base game. This version will also have new AI Sandbox systems (thanks to another year of dev time and the additional headroom of the more powerful PS5/Series SX CPU) and various other enhancements that bring it in line with what was actually expected this year. None of thes additions be coming to the PS4/XBO versions. The bet will be that by early 2022 those consoles will be old news.

The game is already averaging in low 20s on PS4 at least. The game is averaging between 20 to 24 FPS in some of city center areas and while driving, and 25-28 FPS in interiors and general cutscenes. There are entire moments and sequences during the campaign, that I've played myself, where it runs stable 30 FPS. There are definitely moments where it dips below 20s, in certain points within the city area, and where you enter into combat during those same areas.

They will manage to make the game running at 27-29 FPS average on base PS4 after multiple patches down the road, with some dips below 25 FPS mark still registered, of course, but not as the average framerate. The Witcher 3 was averaging in the low 20s too, and they ended up addressing it with some patches ( and It didn't take too long to reach acceptable results).

The version that seems almost impossible to address is the Xbox One S version. That one version is even more concerning cause averages below 20s, between 14-16 FPS.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Thoughts:
  • I'll bet this took the greater part of a week to work through Sony management and the setting up of a bespoke refund system. So the call was probably made Monday or Tuesday at the latest and took two to three days to tell with CDPR, work out PR messaging, put in place the necessary customer support pathways.
  • Bethesda's got to be sleeping well now that they're bought by Microsoft and don't have to have future titles risked of being delisted by Sony for their jank. ;)
  • Definitely this sends a message to the industry, do not try to obligate Sony for your quality issues. This is precedent setting.
  • MS should follow suit. Plays decently but I've had two crashes on my Series X already, untold bugs and I'm maybe 5 hours in. This was not ready for prime time.
There is nothing precedent setting in all of this. CD PROJEKT RED released a game that was broken on last gen consoles, not the first game by the way, and not the only game that has issues. These things always slide and it is up to the consumer to pick and choose; if they buy into hype, they pre order, but wiser people wait some time to see whether issues are minimal or not.

I mean, even first party games are launching with issues, from platform holders too.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder which post-mortem 'here's all the bad decisions management made behind the scenes' article is going show the bigger fuck ups, Halo Infinite or CP2077?

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
LMAO that Life of Black Tiger keeps getting brought up in this thread

not even a fair comparison. Its not like that game tried to deceive or pretend it was something it wasn't going to be. That trailer shows you what you will get and meets those expectations.

Life of Black Tiger is also a game no one gives a shit about and probably only gained some infamy because Jim Sterling did a video on it. Cyberpunk 2077 was one of the most anticipated games of the year.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
I think the publisher will still keep printing new PS4 copies as long as people keep buying. Sony only has the power to delist the game from their own retail store PSN. CDPR will continue to patch the game and PlayStation players will still be able buy it physically.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Thoughts:
  • MS should follow suit. Plays decently but I've had two crashes on my Series X already, untold bugs and I'm maybe 5 hours in. This was not ready for prime time. I'm wondering how they feel about their marketing partnership right now.

In retrospect, Skyrim should have been delisted for the very same reason; a game-breaking save file bug on PS3, and refusing to give reviewers a PS3 copy of the game.

It'll be interesting to see how MS handles this, considering they have marketing rights for the game.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Question is will microsoft follow suit? Is there any news regarding if refunds on the Xbox version are in the high numbers?

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Yeah, I think the only reason this game is being pulled is because of the refunds and CDPR either not asking Sony or telling them beforehand.

Anthem was just as bad when it shipped. Half the time playing was spent loading and praying it didn't get stuck or having it kick you out of the world and back into the hub making you load back into the world again praying for the 1000th time it didn't lock during it. I swear my friends and I must have had to completely close the game down hundreds of times because there was no way to quit the loading screen loop. Missions were constantly failing to progress and you'd have to redo them. The loot system was entirely broken with rare loot being worse than common loot or rares and commons sharing the exact same weapon model. The game was a complete mess but zero refunds were offered because EA just kept quiet about it. I never played Fallout 76 so I can't speak to that games' issues compared to Cyberpunk but it sure looked broken from the videos and reviews. Zero refunds offered for that game too because Bethesda just kept quiet about it.

There's no question that the game shouldn't have released in the state it did but it sure does seem that if CDPR just followed the usual playbook when it comes to broken games they wouldn't be having this game pulled from PSN. Those other games are just as bad or in my case with Anthem way worse than my experience with Cyberpunk has been.

Those other games and their publishers didn't fuck with the money and were rewarded for it. CDPR telling people to ask for refunds if they're unsatisfied with the game fucked with the money and it got pulled off the store because of it otherwise those other games would, and should, have been pulled as well.
I don't remember any of those publishers actively hiding their console versions and not allowing anyone, even reviewers see it before the release. For example, FO76 had a beta. The issues with the game were well known before the release.
What CDPR did is downright scammy by comparison. They said "we're delaying it to get it ready," "The console versions run surprisingly well." They actively forbade any footage of the game prior to the release, even the PC footage, and didn't send out console review codes. It's a scam, considering how many pre-orders the game had. We leave greed to the others, my ass. Sony is right to delist it.

brobban

Oct 28, 2017
If I had to guess I would think Microsoft will keep selling it (especially since they have a marking deal for the game) but just extend their refund policy for the game so you can get a refund after more than 2 hours played.
Yeah, I just got denied a refund due to having played it:
"Our refund policy doesn't allow refunds for digital game products that have been played or consumed. Thanks for understanding."

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Damn this should scare the bean counters from now on. Rushing a game out the door early to benefit from holiday sales has just backfired spectacularly. No way they are going to let their devs have the Christmas period off, they are going to lose millions of dollars each week this game stays delisted.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Don't see MS delisting it, I think they'll extend refund window at most.

Good on Sony though, if CPDR just came out and said we are fixing the game instead of pointing people back to Sony I don't think they would have done this.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Platform Waring
Imagine the look, Sony defends the customers and consumers, MS lets them buy a shit game. Besides, I'm sure MS is probably not too happy either dealing with these refund requests.

Imagine the look if CDPR get delisted from the consoles, utter bloodbath.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017

Bingo.

This isn't going to be a new standard. This won't be the last time a game ships in a poor state. But I guarantee you won't see a dev tell consumers to go ask someone else for their money back.

I just hope Sony gets a better refund system in place in the future because as it stands it's bs.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know that this will serve as a cautionary tale to not release broken games.

One thing CDPR did that was unique to them was throwing plateform holders under the bus to score PR points. Things might not have gotten this far without that moronic "Dear gamers" message, and that lowkey insinuation about platform holders and their cert process.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I don't know that this will serve as a cautionary tale to not release broken games.

One thing CDPR did that was unique to them was throwing plateform holders under the bus to score PR points. Things might not have gotten this far without that moronic "Dear gamers" message, and that lowkey insinuation about platform holders and their cert process.
Yeah, this time CDPR's eagerness to score PR points with the "gamers" backfired against them. About time.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great news for all the people that fell for their shit. Hopefully Microsoft follows through. I hope CDPR gets fucked hard for this shit. Straight up released a broken game and successfully tried to hide that shit from consumers. The committed fraud as far as I am concerned. Good PR isn't going to cut it here. What a complete shit show.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Why are WB and Namco getting a free pass on publishing this? Surely they had a big say in the release date and were aware of the condition of the game ...
They are just handling distribution in the Americas (might just be NA), Europe and I assume Asia (at least Japan anyway), they have zero input on development.

ovbm

Nov 9, 2017
In a fair world, management at CDPR would be restructured, no bonuses would be payed and devs would be compensated extra for fixing this mess in the next few weeks. IRL management will blame devs, make them crunch even harder and keep their fat checks.