• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
People keep pointing out Sony's refund policy issues as the problem, but the problem here isn't Sony's refund policy. Even if Sony had a refund policy the problem would still exist. Sony is taking an ultra hard-line stance on CDPR because of their actions, not because "we don't have a refund policy".

If your "apology" is essentially saying "we're sorry... ask for refunds from the platform holders" without consulting with them prior to the announcement, AND after pushing an unfinished game through cert with the expectation of fixing it with a day one patch that never came? Sony's gonna be pissed. It's bad PR all around, not just because of their refund policy. This whole game has been a consistent management disaster from CDPR.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Thats silly. Of course they know.

Do you think this decision was just made in last 2 hours. They would have talked to them and told them what's going to happen.
The fact that CDPR didn't have a statement ready to go with Sony's announcement (and still haven't made one) makes me think that maybe no, they didn't know beforehand.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a massive fucking fall off for CDPR.

Their reputation as a studio is completely dusted. They'll never recover it, imo.
I dunno. I think the Cyberpunk brand might be irreversibly damaged but do you believe gamers will care about this disaster in 2024 when Witcher 4 releases? I have a hard time envisioning they would.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this ends with ms buying them doesnt it? the pc version is a 87, and by all accounts a good game, just buggy on pc. the fact that its broken on consoles is crazy dumb and shouldn't have been released.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I guess Sony isn't happy about CDPR pressure them about refunds...
"Pressure"
LMAO CDPR cowardly passed the buck to Sony and MS, this shit needs proper coordination between companies because it is not a regular situation (as the refund requests definitely exceeded the regular numbers). This shit is like ordering a recall of a product to your clients and not coordinating with the stores how the logistics of it will be handled.

Deleted member 78123

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 16, 2020
That was the right thing to do, but I think it is safe to say that this will result in more crunch in order to get back to PS store as soon as possible.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
This is wild. As buggy as the game is on SX, it runs/looks well enough not to really bother me, outside of the save reloads I need to do to fix some weird shit every so often.

Those last gen versions must be a real fucking shit show.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
This is insane really.

Man, talk about a fall from grace. I'll always have Witcher 2 and 3.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
My immediate thoughts on all of this, are:

-The whole development process of this game sounds like absolute hell for the workers, but I cannot even imagine how much the next handful of months are going to suck for them. It's supposed to be the holidays. The end of the year when you wind down and relax and take care of yourself. I can't fathom it's going to be possible for any of those folks- even if they have time off- to get some escape from all of this. It's heartbreaking and I'm disgusted with this industry.

-There really needs to be a complete overhaul of the entire concept of AAA game development from the ground up. I can understand when there's such excitement behind a specific upcoming game that it becomes a phenomenon and a pinnacle event all of it's own, but there are so many ways it can lead to catastrophe and effect people's lives in horrible ways.

-As much as I think it was bold (relatively) and good of Sony to take such drastic action, I really really really hope they think long and hard on the whole saga and not only make better policies for consumers but also change the way their studios develop games and take care of their employees.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
cannot find in this thread: what happens if you own the game digitally and try to load it right now?

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if the game is back up next week. CDPR is released another patch this week so I bet if it just keeps the consoles from crashing so much, Sony will be 'satisfied.'

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sony hates refunds so much that they banned the game
11514-animated_gifchat8etf.gif

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
You can have higher standards. It won't hurt you

Higher standards then what? The 1800p-4K HQ mode, looks absolutely stunning, feel free to look up my screenshots in the console screenshot thread, is locked 30fps and besides a completely botched HDR mode (which really is a bummer) I have zero to complain. I really only had one crash so far what can I say? 🤷‍♂️ And the rest were minor bugs that a savegame reload fixed.
Trust me when I say I am normally super f'n critical when it comes to a new game and my first impression. Try to catch me writing about first impressions, they are mostly negative because I immediately overanalyze the technicality of games, resolution, fps, textures, HDR. Look up the Call of the Sea OT, I immediately took this one apart with it's huge flaws.
But this one, on the Series X is so much better than I ever expected. I'm sorry if many people have a bad experience on the other bad versions, but this version here with the HQ mode is f'n fantastic. 🤷‍♂️
Specially in comparison to many other current AAA releases.

Syrenne

Producer of Manifold Garden
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Being able to download a patch =/= listed for sale. Just like how patches can be downloaded by reviewers without the game being listed on the store at that point, patches should theoretically still be able to be distributed.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I've never seen a company so totally fuck up their image, reputation, and goodwill with their community the way CDPR has from Witcher 3 -> CP2077. Holy fucking shit. The studio is beginning to seem horribly mismanaged.
Chances are the key variables for management issues at CDPR have been present all along but we're only seeing the cracks now.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, that's unprecedented. Can't say its unwarranted though.

Good on ya Sony, let's hope Microsoft follows through too.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ps gamers, if your looking for a great cyberpunk game with good writing and cool body augmentations than you should play deus ex mankind divided. Its gorgeous, fun, deep, and it runs well!

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Holy crap, what an absolute trainwreck of a launch this has been. Easily one of the worst in recent memory, and we've had some big screw-ups in the past years.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Imagine being CDPR. Coming off one of the best games of all time, with multiple awards, selling gangbusters etc.. To releasing this mess.
It's crazy how much goodwill they've built up with the general gaming crowd during the past several years...and how much they threw away by insisting on getting CP2077 out the door by the end of 2020 no matter what.

"When it's done" won't mean anything from them for a very, very long time.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
This is seemingly an escalation from Cyberpunk's statement directing their consumers to request refunds from Sony and MS (which presumably they did without consulting their retail partners). That statement could be seen as an admission from CDPR that their product is broken, so Sony probably felt they could no longer continue selling (and denying refunds for) a now openly broken product. This is one of those fly on the wall situations for sure.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a PC first gamer, what PC ports even compare to this? Saints Row 2? Arkham Knight (which did get delisted in a similar timeframe)?
I would say this is worse b/c pc players can just throw more hardware at bad ports, but console payers can do the same with the ps5/xsx, though they shouldnt have too. good on sony.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
Is it worth returning it if you have a ps5? I have a physical copy sitting under the Christmas tree and I don't know if I should open it. It seems like the bugs and performance issues are going to take a while to iron out. I'm not sure we'll ever get a next gen patch if that's the case.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I want to reiterate: this game is not good even on next gen platforms. There is flat out no A.I.

It's flat out unreal how botched this game was

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Wow, I didn't think it was possible for the train to crash any more than it had. I didn't see a landslide coming. What a disaster.

I'm glad I saw the writing on the wall before hand and kept my ass clear of this, but this shit sucks on so many levels. Folks need to be held accountable, but I think we all have been to the rodeo enough times to know that the hammer won't fall on the ones who caused it.

I think the only other launch disaster that's missing are lawsuits, and that has to be a matter of time now? Edit: oh yeah! The Witcher Author sued them last year for royalties. I think they hit almost every disaster.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Arkham was delisted by WB games, they weren't forced to delist by Steam, it's a very different situation.

That's because Steam has a functioning return policy. Sony doesn't.
What's that Arkham Knight reference is about? someone shed some light on it please

PC version of Arkham Knight was so bad WB apologized and pulled the game from Steam until they could properly patch it. It did get put back on a few months later in better shape.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Which big publications gave the console versions a high score? They need to answer for this too. They are complicit in promoting a faulty product.

Oct 27, 2017
Is it worth returning it if you have a ps5? I have a physical copy sitting under the Christmas tree and I don't know if I should open it. It seems like the bugs and performance issues are going to take a while to iron out. I'm not sure we'll ever get a next gen patch if that's the case.
Think Series X|S & PS5 performance is okayish. It's the previous gen verisons that warrant being tossed in the ET landfill.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard a few stories but was this seriously buggier than Fallout 76's launch??

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This was an amazing move from sony and they completely deserve it.

I do wonder how much this will impact them though. Obviously a big deal but the "they lost all the goodwill" seems hyperbolic to me considering the PC version seems to be perfectly fine and got high scores no? And over 50% of the player base is on there?