• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Removing the game from the store, wow.

CD Projekt has even worn out Sony's patience.

Good decision, though.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
You can feel the love, the sheer force of will that every developer has poured into this project, which I reiterate, for me, is simply without equal. Regardless of what aspiring censors and opinion peddlers may say about it, I believe Cyberpunk 2077 will stride into the history books with confidence and conviction.

It's definitely in the history books for something now.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Well, what you're describing is a part of mismanagement. Properly sizing, estimating, and staffing for the scope of work you are taking on is (product) management 101, or "production" at game studios, along with properly setting expectations (internally and externally, through marketing) and making hard decisions on cuts and changes needed to deliver what you promised on time.

It really feels like after TW3, the studio simply was not equipped with the resources it needed to execute on this game. Why that turned out to be the case is anyone's guess, and could be caused by any number of things. I foresee a large investigative journalism piece into this game's development sometime in our future -- the story just seems too juicy not to tell.

Also, acquiring talent is easier said than done.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I really would love to know why CDPR released the game in this state? Pressure from shareholders? Fans? From developers? They must have known the unbelievable incredible amount of work ahead to fix the game. AAA developers don't make these games in a vacuum. They have mock reviews, Q and A testers, and lots of internal testing. They knew the game wasn't what it was supposed to be. They knew about the bugs and missing features. They knew they'd get a PR shit storm... so why the hell did they release it?

Why it released now?

Because of money. CDPR is public so shareholders wanted them to release the game at a time where its sales could be maximised, future reputation be damned.

Why it's in this state? Poor management, unchecked ambition, and an obvious lack of care for anything but the high-end PC versions.

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. Think this is the first time seeing SIE delisting a game and doing full refunds.

Good on Sony for doing this. CDPR really bleeped up and wonder if their stock will take a huge hit overnight or tomorrow for this.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I just can't believe a game with Cyberpunks hype and development cycle was such a crapfest that a platform holder had to remove it from its marketplace. What an utter disaster by CDPR.

Dec 25, 2018
It's definitely gone in the Dutch store atm.

qF8TlxN.png
did a quick search on playstation store uk and looks the same.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
After all the shit CDPR did I won't lie and say this doesn't make me happy. They basically lied to everyone and then tried to shift attention to Sony and MS for refunds.

By doing this Sony is avoiding more fuel to the fire and also selling an nigh unplayable game they would have to refund constantly

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, the only other high profile example that comes to mind was Arkham City on PC being delisted for a while.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
Well, what you're describing is a part of mismanagement. Properly sizing, estimating, and staffing for the scope of work you are taking on is (product) management 101, or "production" at game studios, along with properly setting expectations (internally and externally, through marketing) and making hard decisions on cuts and changes needed to deliver what you promised on time.

It really feels like after TW3, the studio simply was not equipped with the resources it needed to execute on this game. Why that turned out to be the case is anyone's guess, and could be caused by any number of things. I foresee a large investigative journalism piece into this game's development sometime in our future -- the story just seems too juicy not to tell.

send out the jschreier signal!

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bullet dodged not getting the marketing rights. Having the xbox logo associated with this shit heap is not a good look.

Yeah not sure what Microsoft were thinking. Maybe they didn't have any builds to test out but gambled on it being very successful anyway. All that marketing money down the drain.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Delisting seems a bit drastic. I've played games on PS4/X1 that had worse performance.

If lots of people are asking for refunds on the basis of the game being broken, it only makes sense to stop selling a broken game so more people don't buy it and ask for refunds. Especially when CDPR have more or less stated the game isn't in good shape too.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
CDPR only have themselves to blame. Releasing the game in this state was absurd.

What a huge fall in reputation from The Witcher 3. Their share price will be... interesting.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Holy shit man
yeah this thing is hitting $30 by New Years because the press and word of mouth is pretty bad now

dont think I've seen a game delisted before for reasons like this

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
What an unbelievable mess this game turned out to be lmao. Fuck CDPR's management team, seriously. I better not ever see any meme comparing them favorably to Activision, Ubisoft, or EA ever again. This is the most embarrassing game launch I've ever seen.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
there isn't a 'good-guy sony' here. they have their own qa process and waved this through. they own the fallout on this too. and if i was to guess, there were probably ad spends and sales plans with this game in mind that pushed them to make sure this game met its release date.

it's good that sony is taking extreme steps to correct this, but it they failed as a first-party here.