• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man...lies detected. Microsoft is not only busting their butts to bring a sensational and monumental game changing service with Gamepass, they also altruistically allow all their games on PC...and some on Switch...and even Sony platforms sometimes. They are truly going out of their way to maximize options for the consumer.

Sony has brazenly closed off it's loyal consumers from accessing digital and physical purchases, claims that crossplay is disabled for the safety of children, comes to market with an underpowered machine---and when they do grab exclusives, they very rarely spread the love unless they are forced to, like the MLB license.

I dunno about you, but as a playstation focused gamer since 1995, I am THRILLED when microsoft makes a splash like this. As many have said, they are committed not only to their userbase and the future of gaming. When they bolster gamepass, it's huge for the industry, not just microsoft. They are delivering bleeding edge content day and date with a extremely friendly price and changing the way developers can reach consumers---for the better. Sony's been woefully behind in offering any sort of completive services and has a habit of brutally restricting access to any beloved IPs. Like, I don't think we'll see another Uncharted game again.

The context for Sony securing exclusives versus microsoft is hugely different IMHO.

All of Bethesda's games would have come to PC, so I don't really get this argument. No additional platforms are serviced in this acquisition (unless you count streaming as Axel mentioned below), instead one of the biggest platforms simply loses out, their customers being forced to invest in Xbox/PC to enjoy said games. This is ultimately just part and parcel of gaming competition though.

Last edited:

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I still don't understand why buying out a publisher is lauded as something good. The more studios and publishers that remain independent, the better.
I don't think Zenimax has much of any real value to Microsoft, they just wanted their subsidiaries and IPs. It wouldn't make much sense for Zenimax to do a sell of all that unless they needed the money or wanted to drastically change the company. /armchair analysis

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
I don't think Zenimax has much of any real value to Microsoft, they just wanted their subsidiaries and IPs. It wouldn't make much sense for Zenimax to do a sell of all that unless they needed the money or wanted to drastically change the company. /armchair analysis

Probably right. It's just another stream of revenue for MS at the end of the day, and increases the supposed value of Gamepass. I don't know if making everything Gamepass ready day 1 is necessarily good for the quality of games though. Something will have to give, like the game's budget.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Huge blow to gaming? For Microsoft to purchase a company they have to want to be bought - it's a two way street. This is clearly a good thing for Bethesda or they wouldn't have done it. It provides financial stability to their studios that they didn't otherwise have. With rising development costs one flop can wipe out a studio for good. This gives them freedom to take risks and do what they do best without worrying as much about financials. Imo it's going to mean great things for the quality of bethesda games moving forward.
You make it sound like Bethesda was this struggling small publisher, they have some of the biggest gaming IPs, they were big enough to have an E3 conference and they were bought for a freaking 7.5 billion dollars. That's almost double the money that Disney spent to acquire Star Wars or Marvel.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Probably right. It's just another stream of revenue for MS at the end of the day, and increases the supposed value of Gamepass. I don't know if making everything Gamepass ready day 1 is necessarily good for the quality of games though. Something will have to give, like the game's budget.

Not necessarily. If they're willing to eat the loss for now to grow Game Pass, I can see ambition and budgets of said games staying true. My guess is that once they reach a certain target sub count, to increase financial feasibility they simply up the monthly subscription cost, as other streaming services have done over the years (eg Netflix).

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Not necessarily. If they're willing to eat the loss for now to grow Game Pass, I can see ambition and budgets of said games staying true. My guess is that once they reach a certain target sub count, to increase financial feasibility they simply up the monthly subscription cost, as other streaming services have done over the years (eg Netflix).

Interesting. They can definitely eat that cost too! I'm mainly concerned over it because I generally don't like subscription-based services. I would really really hope it doesn't impact game quality, but who knows at this point. :P

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Acquisitions are better than timed apparently
Im not really a fan of acquisitions be it sony, microsoft or nintendo doing it as it can lead to talented developers leaving company's if the workflow changes to much, we've seen this in the past.

Im also quite worried for the elder scrolls, look i've got enough cash to get all 3 consoles. But some people can only afford one especially in the time we live in.

tesV sold 25 million across all platforms iirc, so no way TESVI will sell that amount even if its cross gen (eww hope not). Sure microsoft has gamepass but they said themselves its not a money maker atm. I just hope Bethesda(the publisher) can make the desission to make a game for all platforms IF they want to.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
This is ultimately just part and parcel of gaming competition though.

Indeed. Until customers decide to take a stand against all such deals, big or small, nothing will change. "It's just business" is what I've been told numerous times in similar threads so personally I don't see any indication that people are changing their minds about them. If no one is willing to fight then the situation will keep escalating.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
This.
Era raves about Sony anti-consumerism.

MS way, way worse. And not a single thread created on this... Hyprocritical.

There has been non stop whining about this deal.

I saw one post literally saying "it's not fair I have to play my favourite game on an inferior console".

Also MS hasn't actually done anything anti-consumerism yet.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I expect Sony has some big timed exclusives in play. It would not surprise me to see the likes of GTA VI, Metal Gear VI, or Street Fighter VI as timed exclusives.

It makes me wonder if Sony's deals pushed Xbox to do something big like the EA Play deal and acquring Zenimax/Bethesda.
how long do you imagine this deal took?
I don't get it. Sony is the market leader. How come they don't have the money?

Does the XBox division run in the red or being compensated by the parent company?
sony is a big multinational conglomerate company, with like a 100b market cap, but they make things - id wager a huge portion of their $ is tied up in mfg, but they also make risky things like movies and music.

ms makes pixie dust and sells it a billion times. sure they make a little hardware but if surface went away they worked hardly notice it on the balance sheet.

xbox, like playstation, uses all of the assets of their parent divisions.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Jim Ryan has to go. He overplayed his hand trying to buy all these timed exclusives and ended up costing all playstation owners three of the biggest IPs of all time.

What he should've done was create more first party teams. Cory wanted to make a sci fi game, he shouldve been given a 300 man team while SSM made GoW2. Instead, Sony went around town putting money in the pockets of suits.

And now thats blown up in their face. Now they are stuck with a bunch of games that are either coming to PC or on PS4 and they have no real exclusives for the next few years. Pretty much the worst case scenario for playstation.

I actually think MS dropped the ball announcing this. This shouldve been shown at a conference. The impact of seeing Doom, Starfield and Elder Scrolls all exclusive to Xbox would have hit hard for people lining up to buy PS5s.
how do you know this wasn't meant for e3?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Indeed. Until customers decide to take a stand against all such deals, big or small, nothing will change. "It's just business" is what I've been told numerous times in similar threads so personally I don't see any indication that people are changing their minds about them. If no one is willing to fight then the situation will keep escalating.

Well it doesn't help that journalists largely play into this too.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I wouldn't be surprised if Sony's moneyhatting - particularly of Bethesda properties, probably sped up acquisition talks lol

I mean, this deal must have been going back and forth for quite some time, suddenly Sony moneyhats or attempts to moneyhat a few games and suddenly Bethesda's been acquired.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
I just saw a Sony rep approach a lady with a pram, muttering about timing, as I turned back he'd handed the baby something and was producing a pen.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but that cuts both ways.

If you asked most PC gamers if they were fine with all software titles being day and date on all platforms, I struggle to imagine many complain. Because it doesn't effect them.

But expecting them to be particularly upset about exclusivity arrangements that don't effect them doesn't really make sense.
sure. I don't think most Sony or Xbox gamers actually love excluding others from playing their games either (don't get me wrong, there are some, but there also are loads of pc gamers who don't care that much if their games go on console but love to gloat about the kind of games available on pc that would never go to consoles). My point is that all these complaints about exclusivity are not from supposed moral or ethical standpoints. That's why supporting Microsoft but not Sony seems hypocritical to me.
but I don't think we are actually disagreeing here.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
When WB was looking to sell, people were all for Microsoft snatching them up compared to other companies. The difference here is that it wasn't publicly known that Bethesda wanted to sell, despite some clear signs in that direction. The timed-exclusive deals with Sony were already a pretty clear sign to me that Bethesda needed an injection of cash. Though I will say that I was very surprised to see them team up with Sony given Microsoft has always been Bethesda's main partner going back to the original Xbox and numerous marketing deals.

I'm not a big fan of publishers being bought, but if Bethesda owners were wanting to sell for the right price as a given anyway, I think this is the right outcome.

Ravenash

Apr 16, 2020
Day one Gamepass >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS5 timed exclusivity.

tenor.gif
This is what i think too, the ps5 timed exclusives are so meaningless for me as a consumer if i still have to pay the 60-70 dollars for the game. That's what MS is doing good, adding value to your ecosystem as a whole, not just the games.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
On the one hand I hate exclusivity in general. On the other hand, as someone who enjoys playing games even if they're 30+ years old, I rejoice at every game that gets released on PC, because it guarantees virtually eternal availability. One day, even with a 100+ million PS5 consoles, they'll eventually become old/broken/hard to find, and Sony will shut down the ability to buy games for those old systems, and the discs will rot. But on the PC I can make my own backups of my Steam games and guarantee I'll have them forever. So as much as I'd prefer these games not end up exclusive at all, at least MS buying them guarantees they'll end up on the most open, and long-term reliable platform.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
When I saw the trailer for FF16 I was reeally happy when it showed it was also coming out for PC.

Now they don't even comment on that.

Fuck exclusivity. At least MS games are also coming to PC.

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As a PC gamer, I'm happy this fell through. At least with Microsoft I know what to expect. Sony's exclusivity contracts are always vague and annoying.
Yup. Sony's been doing a lot of wrong things when it comes to these types of deals. It feels kinda like how epic makes it so games are only on the epic games store.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Would I prefer it be available on all platforms? Yes, but at least with MS I know I'll get the game on PC day 1. Who knows when I'll get FFXVI on PC.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
People are too entrenched in tribalism here, if Sony goes and buys Capcom/SE next month the same people complaining about this buyout won't complain about it at all, the writings on the wall

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Microsoft committing to day and date PC releases really has been a genius PR move.
Good for PR, but I suspect they've understood that PC gaming is not a direct threat to their console ambitions. It's a separate market with a separate audience that can be exploited alongside their console and cloud goals.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
People are too entrenched in tribalism here, if Sony goes and buys Capcom/SE next month the same people complaining about this buyout won't complain about it at all, the writings on the wall

some will some won't. But it's been spurred on by threads like this. Seriously some of the takes on Sony have a year exclusive as opposed to forever is mind boggling. It full on gameFAQs in here the last few days.Championing games that would have no longer coming to a platform FOREVER. it's fucking weird.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
As a PC gamer, I'm happy this fell through. At least with Microsoft I know what to expect. Sony's exclusivity contracts are always vague and annoying.

Obfuscation is the name of the game in hopes people either can't wait or think it's a permanent situation. For the people that see right through these, it makes the effort pretty meaningless, at the same time it must work to some degree or they wouldn't keep spending on it.

However it is clear that exclusivity as it used to be, is less and less viable, and why you see more timed than anything else. Also recognition of the lost audience when being restricted to the console hardware alone is changing this situation with more games heading to PC. Even from first party studios this looks to increase, as cloud also knocks down the barrier of what hardware people play on, and it gets clearer that customers won't switch on mass between console/PC as it happens. So much revenue and users to gain. Timed exclusivity is mostly all that remains when it comes to PC

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

Yep. As I said back in August:

Many do, because they have been conditioned by the industry to a) believe that nothing can change and b) treat ownership of a games console similarly to support of a sports team. Gamers need to realize that they have much more in common, including their interests, with gamers on different platforms than with the faceless corporations that play them off each other for profit.

Rods

May 1, 2020
Why? Let's say you get 50 million people subscribed at 10 dollars a month, you are asking less money in a year from your costumer than 2 Playstation games.
That's 500 million dollars, you can afford to release 1 Cyberpunks 2077 every month and still have plenty of cash to spare.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
some will some won't. But it's been spurred on by threads like this. Seriously some of the takes on Sony have a year exclusive as opposed to forever is mind boggling. It full on gameFAQs in here the last few days.Championing games that would have no longer coming to a platform FOREVER. it's fucking weird.
100% this.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
All of Bethesda's games would have come to PC, so I don't really get this argument. No additional platforms are serviced in this acquisition (unless you count streaming as Axel mentioned below), instead one of the biggest platforms simply loses out, their customers being forced to invest in Xbox/PC to enjoy said games. This is ultimately just part and parcel of gaming competition though.

Would they? I mean Sony was already trying to buy timed exclusivity for Starfield. I would not be surprised if they did the same for Elderscrolls.

Check it out

Oct 25, 2017
When Sony buys timed exclusivity it's with PC in mind as well

Microsoft got so much flak for Tomb Raider they allowed Crystal Dynamics to clarify the length of exclusivity. Every timed PS5 game we have no idea when it's coming out elsewhere and occasionally they hide the fact that it is. The call them console exclusives where Microsoft calls them Console Launch Exclusives.

Like the practice or not Sony needs more transparency on this or at least allow the publisher / dev to clarify. I'd wait 3 months for Death Loop to hit Xbox but not a year. I'd like to know the window. I bought FF7R because I didn't want to wait a year.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
And that Xbox players will get all Bethesda games at a colossal discount through Game Pass. It's a colossal difference to Sony's method of simply paying to deprive other players of fun, and providing absolutely nothing of value to their own gamers.

Xbox gamers now have Starfield, DOOM, TES6 etc through Game Pass. Sony gamers still have to pay full price for FFXVI and will see no difference at all with the exclusivity.

Fuck me the hot takes in this thread.

so now it's a crime that how dare we buy our games? Let's rent them instead? Like wtf is going on haha

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
So does this mean Starfield is possibly releasing "soon" if Sony was recently trying to get this deal?
At least I would assume it's deep in to development and not troubled. I think it's fair to say that Sony probably saw a slice of the game and liked what they were seeing if they were trying to negotiate timed availability.

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand why buying out a publisher is lauded as something good. The more studios and publishers that remain independent, the better.
I don't own a PS Anything and I have Game Pass Ultimate. It's good for me. I also don't believe that this consolidation is going to be the death of the industry, pearl clutching gamers have been crying about this industry dying for years

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
You know, at least the pro-Disney buying Fox group had the built-in excuse that the alternative was Fox maybe going to Comcast. Just enough reason to hide the fact that they really just wanted X-Men and Fantastic Four in the MCU. This isn't even that.

Some of y'all are celebrating Microsoft buying a publisher. A company so big they have their own E3 conference. And your justification is because Sony tried to get an exclusivity deal for a game. How does this benefit us at all in the long run? Why would you celebrate the erosion of consumer choice? Because console wars?

It's not even subtle either. The tell is that everyone making that take just casually overlooks all the petty exclusivity deals Microsoft has made.

How does Sony attempting to money hat (seemingly) every major third party game, including STARFIELD, exclude major characters from a game, benefit anybody but Playstation users? A major RPG (FF16) is money hatted for who knows how long. How does that benefit Xbox users? Or is there some excuse there because SE and Sony go "way back"?

You can't get mad when the party on the opposing end of all of this takes it up a notch, throws its weight around, and then go "woah woah woah, this is too much!!". Doesn't work like that.

Last edited:

Deathman

Oct 25, 2017
How does Sony attempting to money hat (seemingly) every major third party games, including STARFIELD, exclude major characters from a game, benefit anybody but Playstation users? A major RPG (FF16) is money hatted for who knows how long. How does that benefit Xbox users? Or is there some excuse there because SE and Sony go "way back"?

You can't get mad when the party on the opposing end of all of this takes it up a notch, throws it's weight around, and then go "woah woah woah, this is too much!!". Doesn't work like that.

No you don't understand, Era has always been "MS bad, Sony good"

MS has made it's share of shitty exclusivity deals but since Phil Spencer took charge things have been significantly better. I'm so entirely sick of Sony's bullshit of time gating content.

I'm looking at you Activision locking my content away for a full fucking year.

But people saying this is just as bad as Sony buying them is just being facetious, one only has to look at the Mojang acquisition to see where MS will go with this. It makes so much more monetary sense for them to keep games multiplat especially considering their endgame is to get gamepass on as many platforms as they possibly can.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
No you don't understand, Era has always been "MS bad, Sony good"

MS has made it's share of shitty exclusivity deals but since Phil Spencer took charge things have been significantly better. I'm so entirely sick of Sony's bullshit of time gating content.

I'm looking at you Activision locking my content away for a full fucking year.

But people saying this is just as bad as Sony buying them is just being facetious, one only has to look at the Mojang acquisition to see where MS will go with this. It makes so much more monetary sense for them to keep games multiplat especially considering their endgame is to get gamepass on as many platforms as they possibly can.
Exactly. Microsoft has and always will be a software company first. They're no longer playing by the same rules as Sony.