• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: making a troll thread, platform warring

This seminar from GDC 2019 was uploaded to YouTube a few days ago, and tries to go over how to make level design "immersive" and "easy to understand" and shows examples from God of War 2018.
However, to demonstrate this, they show a clip from DarkSydePhil's playthrough of the game.

If DSP is their floor for "appealing level design", then that explains way too much about Sony's design philosophies lately. Makes me wonder how many other developers are doing that too.

EDIT Thought it timestamped in the video. It's about 38 minutes in.

Last edited:

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, if you've made DSP understand how a level works, you've succeeded as a level designer.

Det

Jul 30, 2020

This seminar from GDC 2019 was uploaded to YouTube a few days ago, and tries to go over how to make level design "immersive" and "easy to understand" and shows examples from God of War 2018.
However, to demonstrate this, they show a clip from DarkSydePhil's playthrough of the game.

If DSP is their floor for "appealing level design", then that explains way too much about Sony's design philosophies lately. Makes me wonder how many other developers are doing that too.

EDIT Thought it timestamped in the video. It's about 38 minutes in.

You really need to expand upon your last sentence as it is quite the leap without any of your thought context.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
To be generous to the OP, maybe they're trying to say they're designing games around bad gamers? Beyond that idk.

I mean designing levels so people finish them doesn't seem like some terrible idea.

Its ridiculous to me OP is trying to say all Sony games follow this philosophy anyway. They obviously don't and you don't have to go very far back in their releases to see that.

VISION

Oct 25, 2017
You're gonna have to actually articulate your argument, homie. I don't know who that guy is or why footage of him having streamed that game is evidence of bad level design.

dgamemaster

Jun 29, 2020
Yikes, this DarksydePhill dude seems pretty nasty after doing a quick search but I'm not entirely sure if Sony actually realized what specific content they were using. They probably just searched up a GOW playthrough and just picked one at random to use as an example, at least, from my understanding. Still, probably not the best example to use.

Too bad the thread concept got ruined by someone trying to console war and say "Sony design philosophies are bad" simply because they used a clip of a particular playthrough of a game by a bad person in a developer keynote presentation. That's a bit too much of a stretch to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.